As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] Summoner and Combat Lucky Draws tonight! Hope you like Lann.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I have used so many 4* motes, mostly to unlock abilities but sometimes just for stats and percentages. Some of those were on characters I don't really use any more, like more healing for Relm or more Ninja/Thief for Yuffie. But that's ok, because we do get a lot of motes these days.

I'm going to start holding on to them now, though, in prep for LMs. Cloud and Ramza are pretty high priority for first uses.

Rius on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Only game I blew Megalixirs in with no regrets was Chrono Trigger. Before you charm any Gold Studs from certain enemies, those Triple Techs with Ayla were too expensive to keep up. No reason not to equip everyone with Gold Stud accessories by the end, though, once you've run the Black Omen in a few timelines.

In FFRK, there is so little reason to hold on to 4* motes. Certain characters definitely shine with full access to their Legend spheres, and you already know who they are with a little research. The only thing holding you back is the usually accompanied USB during their particular event, I suppose, but even before those characters (Ace, Edge, Shadow, Setzer, etc), I would say a few definitely are worthy of full dive right off the bat because they're likely already beasts with their current relic options (Ramza, Y'shtola).

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I've been pretty liberal with 4* motes, but like everyone, I'm starved for Vitality motes. My only full dived character is Raines, but I've got 6-7 with at least one 4* sphere filled in, usually because it unlocks something or provides a stack of useful +% things. I wish I hadn't dumped so many into Tyro though. That was definitely a mistake.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Urrrgh, I was busy this week and had to put off Mandragoras until today. This is going to be an absolute nightmare to pug.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Other than Vaan, what are some good dps/support relics/bsbs to aim for? I have Barret's everything, and Faris' bsb, but I feel weird relying on a SB for full break, and Barret is so bleh.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Apparently the new 5* bard songs in JP stack 10% per cast, up to 50% after 5 casts. They stack with everything, so they might be reasonably usable. The ATK song should be pretty easy to hone (primary Earth, secondary White+Fire), the MAG song a little less so (primary Earth, secondary White+Dark). Everything gotta take Dark :/

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: Β»
    Urrrgh, I was busy this week and had to put off Mandragoras until today. This is going to be an absolute nightmare to pug.

Use the bat signal on Discord if you have trouble.
    Brody wrote: Β»
    Other than Vaan, what are some good dps/support relics/bsbs to aim for? I have Barret's everything, and Faris' bsb, but I feel weird relying on a SB for full break, and Barret is so bleh.

Here is a guide with write ups on good debuff SBs. The older version which is more in-depth is in that link as well.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: Β»
    Apparently the new 5* bard songs in JP stack 10% per cast, up to 50% after 5 casts. They stack with everything, so they might be reasonably usable. The ATK song should be pretty easy to hone (primary Earth, secondary White+Fire), the MAG song a little less so (primary Earth, secondary White+Dark). Everything gotta take Dark :/

Don't worry. We won't ever need to save the orbs for those abilities.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm definitely going to be hitting up the discord later today to get some of the multiplayer done before it goes away. Luckily I've got some pretty good SBs tailored to each one

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I've used my 4*s. Onion Knight, Y'shtola, and Tyro are my only full dives.

I was an idiot and fully dived Tyro because for the LONGEST time it was impossible for me to do anything other than turtle and wear down enemies because Wall was the only thing of value I had gotten and I wanted him to be less useless. I think I also tossed a few into Sephiroth to make his defense piercing not harder before soft cap raise nurfed it. Nowadays I just try to unlock abilities for people. Celes has her 4* white, Quistis her 5* black, Luneth his 4* support, etc.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: Β»
    I've used my 4*s. Onion Knight, Y'shtola, and Tyro are my only full dives.

I was an idiot and fully dived Tyro because for the LONGEST time it was impossible for me to do anything other than turtle and wear down enemies because Wall was the only thing of value I had gotten and I wanted him to be less useless. I think I also tossed a few into Sephiroth to make his defense piercing not harder before soft cap raise nurfed it. Nowadays I just try to unlock abilities for people. Celes has her 4* white, Quistis her 5* black, Luneth his 4* support, etc.

To be fair, mitigation was king for a very long time, and admittedly, still more or less will be for regular events with their Apoc+ difficulty stuff. It's just not as sexy or new as the speed runs on Full Throttle difficulties or Magicite dungeons. Variety is good though. I admit that I get a little tired sometimes of my top team party always being:

Vaan (BSB)
    Vanille (BSB)
    Tyro (Wall)
    Ramza (Shout)
    Filler spot for most appropriate DPS

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I admit that I get a little tired sometimes of my top team party always being:

Vaan (BSB)
    Vanille (BSB)
    Tyro (Wall)
    Ramza (Shout)
    Filler spot for most appropriate DPS

That's why I was so excited to try and run my new team getting rid of native Wall and going full on DPS...but then the ATK caps went up so it wasn't optimal any more and I didn't get to use it for a single event. (Because FFXI U+ needed Shantotto only so I actually did it and then U++ had Shadow Lord's cheese) =/

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Cant be any worse than the pugs for the Orthros fight that open with fire attacks to guarentee that he can use fire counters before all the mitigation is up.

On the other hand, on Mandragoras had a teammate bring Hope BSB2 with its dispelga, that was super handy

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Alright, I managed to get Mandragoras done faster than I expected. Had to do the 200 twice because I forgot to bring Fire Blossom on Basch for the medal condition like a dope, but the 240 went like clockwork thanks to having both a Beatrix and an Agrias on the team.

• Options
    I'll be around for multiplayer tonight when the bonus battles drop. As a reminder, it's Belias, except he's not Holy weak and the Archaedemons are Holy immune this go around. If we can't build a non-Holy AoE team (keeping in mind Turn 4/5 Karma timing), it may be better to just bring a ST team. Also, Belias craps out Petrify and other statuses much worse than before, so Affliction Break is basically mandatory.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    If we need a knight for a non-holy AOE team, I could bring Ingus with his BSB, for attack redirection.

Could also bring Greg. Sacrifice BSB entry AOE for access to self-buffs with Hailstorm or MOE. He can also use Flashing Blade, to hit the Archeodemons. I also have his OSB, but the nobody-dead requirement is tricky to rely on in multiplayer.

I'm also down for Mage strategies; I could egg Rapha up so that she can defend and heal with her BSB. Could even bring Greg to a Mage team. His self-buffs are pretty strong with Hailstorm now existing.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Enlong wrote: Β»
    If we need a knight for a non-holy AOE team, I could bring Ingus with his BSB, for attack redirection.

Could also bring Greg. Sacrifice BSB entry AOE for access to self-buffs with Hailstorm or MOE. He can also use Flashing Blade, to hit the Archeodemons. I also have his OSB, but the nobody-dead requirement is tricky to rely on in multiplayer.

I'm also down for Mage strategies; I could egg Rapha up so that she can defend and heal with her BSB. Could even bring Greg to a Mage team. His self-buffs are pretty strong with Hailstorm now existing.
    It's pretty much all NAT except for his Counter Physical which isn't really worth worrying about.

Comp wise we're probably looking at 1 Dancer, 1 Support with Affliction Break, 1 Wall, 1-2 Healers, a Hastega and whatever DPS you can fit in afterwards, though of course a couple of those slots can potentially be collapsed into one character (dancing Tyro/Penelo, etc). Given this is FFT, it almost seems predicated towards Ramza taking the Affliction break, for example.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Could bring Ramza. He could either buff with Shout or defend with Chant.

If I use Chant, I could also bring Eiko.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    If someone is bringing an imperil holy, Ramza BSB with a weakness exploit RM works well - lots of holy hit all attacks, attack includes a dispel (and is also a 2 hit holy), and you can boost your holy imperil person up to get the 2/3x imperil going before using the BSB again.

E: assuming you're talking mandoragas.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Jragghen wrote: Β»
    If someone is bringing an imperil holy, Ramza BSB with a weakness exploit RM works well - lots of holy hit all attacks, attack includes a dispel (and is also a 2 hit holy), and you can boost your holy imperil person up to get the 2/3x imperil going before using the BSB again.

E: assuming you're talking mandoragas.
    No, Belias for tonight.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    As part of FF30th, JP is giving a Gem one time only draw where you just flat out select what BSB you want from before a certain event. The list can be found here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/68hkyl/warning_check_the_bsb_you_want_is_available/

I'd probably grab Ayame, Refia, or Ashe, though Lightning 1 for completeness sake and the +10ATK is tempting even if it's utter trash.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    If I were to take advantage of that gem only draw, I'd likely go for Raines or Refia. As good as Zell's is, I rather dislike FF8.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mercurialchemistermercurialchemister Registered User regular
    Dunno how 6 months would change the math but as of today I would snap off either Vaan or Alphinaud.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I think I would probably grab Setzer's BSB at this stage. I don't see any major DPS upgrades for me in there, which is kinda sad on one level. Maybe Vaan's BSB if I am feeling weird, but with Magicite dungeons being so hostile to break abilities that seems less likely. I guess Alphinaud would be great to have with a team of 4 damage dealers. Lots to think about if I decide to pull.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Agrias' BSB would be appealing, if only for a tank BSB with its first attack command.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    If it were being held right now, I'd probably grab Fujin's BSB. I need a good magic support, and she's the best

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I could finally get Vessel of Fate and never have to take another Onion Sword dupe pull again.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Oh wait, Vessel of Fate is on there? Okay never mind, yep, that's the one.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Rapha, Refia, or Fran.

• Options
    Ooh Fran is a pretty good choice too. I think her BSB is one of the best support BSBs available. I'm still debating on taking a shot at it next week.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I finally hit up the Nightmare Dungeon again and nabbed the crystals for Affliction Break, Meltdown, and Curada. So now I'm finally forced to think about what I actually want to R2.

Affliction Break - Probably. The effect is hard to replicate and 3.0/2 on a support is kind of nice.
    Meltdown - Almost definitely, once I have the Black crystal.
    Curada - Would be good for multiplayer or other scenarios where I'm DMTing a healing BSB. Or if I don't need Shellga for some reason. R1 borders on usable though.
    Lifebane - Probably a pass. Zell is my best monk and Full Charge is frankly good enough in that slot. My other monks BSBs are all enDarks so whatever. If I ever get Prishe BSB I might regret not having it, I suppose.
    Snowspell Strike - I have Indomitable Blade. No particular need to hone it.
    Sky High - I have THREE enWind Dragoons, so this is disproportionately tempting.
    Mug Bloodlust - Pretty solid, but 40 seconds of duration off of R1 is pretty good and it could spontaneously become redundant if I get any number of SBs. Pass?
    Tritoch - Is there any point even thinking about it? I guess I have good summoners in Ashe and Krile, if I wanted to be super patient.
    Omega Drive - I have absolutely no idea if this is worth it or not; I've never seen anyone use it. It sounds good on paper?
    Dervish - Oh, right, this got good at some point, didn't it? 4.8/8, I think? Has that buff come to Global yet? I can do crit shenanigans...

Key conflicts:
    Earth - Meldown, Curada, Sky High, and Lifebane ALL have this as a secondary, so something's gotta give there. Is Meltdown + Curada + 12 even possible?
    Dark - Affliction Break, Omega Drive, Mug Bloodlust. I think I can probably make two of these after I finish dungeons and shatter mote stuff?
    Power - Affliction Break, Omega Drive, Dervish. Pick two.
    Lightning - Sky High, Lifebane, Tritoch, Dervish. Pick two, probably? I don't know how many lightning crystals are still on the table for me.

Seems like "Omega Drive vs. Dervish" and "Sky High vs. Lifebane" are the two biggest decision points for me. Is there a reason people talk about Lifebane so much and Omega Drive so rarely? Lifebane feels skippable but it seems to be the only 6* ability anyone talks about.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    People talk about lifebane where? I never hear much about anything other than meltdown and affliction break but I also skim through monk talk.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I chose Lifebane over Omega Drive because of my consistent love of Monks. It also helps that you are likely to get bonuses to Monk damage, but I don't know of any purely for Combat. I can't think of any other major diffence.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Omega Drive pulls ahead when Cloud and Noctis get 35% Legend Material to double cast Combat.

• Options
    Dear me.

Killing some time by joining rando groups to take out multiplayer Opera Ultros. And getting kicked out of every team I join before I've been in long enough to see what the rest of the team even is.

I wonder what's happening.

• Options
    I finally hit up the Nightmare Dungeon again and nabbed the crystals for Affliction Break, Meltdown, and Curada. So now I'm finally forced to think about what I actually want to R2.

Affliction Break - Probably. The effect is hard to replicate and 3.0/2 on a support is kind of nice.
    Meltdown - Almost definitely, once I have the Black crystal.
    Curada - Would be good for multiplayer or other scenarios where I'm DMTing a healing BSB. Or if I don't need Shellga for some reason. R1 borders on usable though.
    Lifebane - Probably a pass. Zell is my best monk and Full Charge is frankly good enough in that slot. My other monks BSBs are all enDarks so whatever. If I ever get Prishe BSB I might regret not having it, I suppose.
    Snowspell Strike - I have Indomitable Blade. No particular need to hone it.
    Sky High - I have THREE enWind Dragoons, so this is disproportionately tempting.
    Mug Bloodlust - Pretty solid, but 40 seconds of duration off of R1 is pretty good and it could spontaneously become redundant if I get any number of SBs. Pass?
    Tritoch - Is there any point even thinking about it? I guess I have good summoners in Ashe and Krile, if I wanted to be super patient.
    Omega Drive - I have absolutely no idea if this is worth it or not; I've never seen anyone use it. It sounds good on paper?
    Dervish - Oh, right, this got good at some point, didn't it? 4.8/8, I think? Has that buff come to Global yet? I can do crit shenanigans...

Key conflicts:
    Earth - Meldown, Curada, Sky High, and Lifebane ALL have this as a secondary, so something's gotta give there. Is Meltdown + Curada + 12 even possible?
    Dark - Affliction Break, Omega Drive, Mug Bloodlust. I think I can probably make two of these after I finish dungeons and shatter mote stuff?
    Power - Affliction Break, Omega Drive, Dervish. Pick two.
    Lightning - Sky High, Lifebane, Tritoch, Dervish. Pick two, probably? I don't know how many lightning crystals are still on the table for me.

Seems like "Omega Drive vs. Dervish" and "Sky High vs. Lifebane" are the two biggest decision points for me. Is there a reason people talk about Lifebane so much and Omega Drive so rarely? Lifebane feels skippable but it seems to be the only 6* ability anyone talks about.
    The main thing is that Omega Drive takes Dark and as far as I'm concerned Affliction Break should be mandatory, though if you have a dedicated multiplayer group with someone who has it (or I guess there's enough of us who do) then you can consider not making it. Fire also competes with Meltdown which is another popular choice. That said, there's a reason it shows up in a lot of these time attack videos.

This thread may be of use to you also: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5k5jsa/choose_wisely_all_possible_6_ability_combinations/

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Finally got around to completing the Nightmares. Hooray!

• Options
    The main advantage of Lifebane over Omega Drive is that it is just easier to make and hone. I'm looking at Dervish myself, when it gets the buff it got in Japan that is going to be a tasty ability.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: Β»
    The main advantage of Lifebane over Omega Drive is that it is just easier to make and hone. I'm looking at Dervish myself, when it gets the buff it got in Japan that is going to be a tasty ability.

This is true. Because I came late to things, I missed a lot of the Crystals and Motes>Abilities>Crystals that others have. Lifebane not requiring R1 Crystals actually saves a significant amount when you're low econ like I am.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    100 gems: Battle Bamboo!

Somehow, I wound up with the BSBs for both siblings! Not sure how to feel about that. I think I prefer Rapha's, but I'll have to test them out.

This discussion has been closed.