As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: Ode to Joycon

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Sandisk Ultra Plus SDXC apparently it causes the SD Drive to heat up insanely hot

Is this just a particular card though, or ANY of them? What size are you using?

I'm seeing some Amazon reviews saying some of them might have issues, but so far the only ones people are mentioning are the 64gb version, or they're not saying which at all.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Saw two gray switches today at Walmart. Very surprised! Still no neon joycons

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Turned on my Switch on my lunch break, went into Zelda, and now the buttons aren't responding. Thumbsticks doing nothing. Touch screen not responding. I can bring up the sleep mode or power options screens but can't select anything. Now I wish there was an easier way to turn the thing off.
    Hold the power/sleep button down for 10-20 seconds to reboot the Switch?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Incindium wrote: »
    Turned on my Switch on my lunch break, went into Zelda, and now the buttons aren't responding. Thumbsticks doing nothing. Touch screen not responding. I can bring up the sleep mode or power options screens but can't select anything. Now I wish there was an easier way to turn the thing off.

Also, try using the touch screen to initiate pairing mode. My right joycon had desynced until I figured that out

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So I got my Switch and not off to a good start. The application of the screen glass protectors went about as bad as one could expect. Dammit.

I linked my Nintendo account.... is my eshop balance supposed to carry over or not? I didn't have much in there but right now it's showing at zero.

edit: Nevermind, I discovered the merging option.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Athenor wrote: »
    Saw two gray switches today at Walmart. Very surprised! Still no neon joycons
    You can buy Neon joycons, there's no need to wait on buying a switch just for those.

I get that they're expensive, but I assume you'll wait another pair of them at some point.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So apparently I missed a returned one at Target by all of 45 seconds. Was just doing normal shopping and saw someone walk away with one, so I popped over only to have my dreams crushed.

• Options
    Ok, did I screw up by getting the amFilm tempered glass screen protectors? Those seemed to have the best reviews. I followed the instructions but both protectors got nasty bubbles under them that I just couldn't get out. I'm trying to see if I can get replacements now..... are there others that I should have gone with?

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Ok, did I screw up by getting the amFilm tempered glass screen protectors? Those seemed to have the best reviews. I followed the instructions but both protectors got nasty bubbles under them that I just couldn't get out. I'm trying to see if I can get replacements now..... are there others that I should have gone with?

I'm not a screen protector kind of person - this is the first time I've actually gotten one for anything I own - and it went on really smoothly. I also did it three weeks after the Switch's release, though it was docked the entire time for Zelda. The way I did it was by following their recommended environmental instructions. Took a hot shower, waited about ten or fifteen minutes, and then took everything into the bathroom to apply the screen protector. Cleaned the Switch screen with the provided wipes and then carefully touched the screen protector to the screen. Any air between the protector and the Switch naturally pushed itself out without any effort on my part. In fact, the only bubbles were between the Step 2 handled backing that came about as a part of peeling off the Step 1 side of the screen protector. I just needed to use the provided cardstock card to make sure the protector was stuck on it firmly: no bubbles to squeeze out at all. Worked even more perfectly than I expected. Sorry to hear about your troubles!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    Help me out here. How is the countdown page Bayonetta themed?

This is the background image for the page:
    justanimage.jpg

That doesn't look like Scarborough Fair or Love Is Blue to my eyes... might actually be Bayo3.

The model is Love Is Blue I believe, the color's off though?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »

I'm not a screen protector kind of person - this is the first time I've actually gotten one for anything I own - and it went on really smoothly. I also did it three weeks after the Switch's release, though it was docked the entire time for Zelda. The way I did it was by following their recommended environmental instructions. Took a hot shower, waited about ten or fifteen minutes, and then took everything into the bathroom to apply the screen protector. Cleaned the Switch screen with the provided wipes and then carefully touched the screen protector to the screen. Any air between the protector and the Switch naturally pushed itself out without any effort on my part. In fact, the only bubbles were between the Step 2 handled backing that came about as a part of peeling off the Step 1 side of the screen protector. I just needed to use the provided cardstock card to make sure the protector was stuck on it firmly: no bubbles to squeeze out at all. Worked even more perfectly than I expected. Sorry to hear about your troubles!

Yeah I did all of that.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

I think this is a software bug. I had the same exact thing happen to me, exactly. The only thing that worked was holding the power button for 10 seconds. Needless to say I was freaking the fuck out when this happened . Hasn't happened again since that one time.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular

I think this is a software bug. I had the same exact thing happen to me, exactly. The only thing that worked was holding the power button for 10 seconds. Needless to say I was freaking the fuck out when this happened . Hasn't happened again since that one time.

Something similar happened to me during the evening. I had disconnected the power for a moment, then connected it again. Then I needed to disconnect it again (and I forgot that connecting it to the power automatically turns the console on), which turned it off again. When went to play, every time I pressed a button, it would make a horrible noise. I fixed it by restarting the Switch, but it was sure scary.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    RockinX wrote: »

Something similar happened to me during the evening. I had disconnected the power for a moment, then connected it again. Then I needed to disconnect it again (and I forgot that connecting it to the power automatically turns the console on), which turned it off again. When went to play, every time I pressed a button, it would make a horrible noise. I fixed it by restarting the Switch, but it was sure scary.

This was a bit different. It was frozen on an image in my album, and no button inputs would work except hitting the power button to bring up power options, or holding the home button to pull up the quick menu... both of which took forever to load and wouldn't let me do anything but switch between those two menu's (even the bugs are themed). The only input that worked aside from those two was the hard reset.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

Apparently there are two stages of 'holding the power button down. Less time and it just brings up the menu to go to power options. I just had to hold it down longer to make it actually power off.

But hey, buttons are working again. But that was weird and the first problem ive had with it.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    If you got bubbles under your screen protector just leave it for a day. My brother got a big bubble under his and the next morning it was gone. If you try to peel it up and rescue it you'll bend it and it will not be recoverable.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    Help me out here. How is the countdown page Bayonetta themed?

This is the background image for the page:
    justanimage.jpg

That doesn't look like Scarborough Fair or Love Is Blue to my eyes... might actually be Bayo3.

The model is Love Is Blue I believe, the color's off though?

It's Scarborough Fair. If you open it in a new tab and zoom into it you can see it written across the barrel.
    latest?cb=20110828234824

Specifically, it is the rightmost one with the pinwheel cross thingy.

So, something Bayonetta One related?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Took my Switch to the in-laws' house last night. Felt like I responsibly spent time with wife's family and also got some me-time with Zelda in the same trip. What a world.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If you got bubbles under your screen protector just leave it for a day. My brother got a big bubble under his and the next morning it was gone. If you try to peel it up and rescue it you'll bend it and it will not be recoverable.

From the other side of this, I got a long piece of cat hair under my amFilm, lifted it up, scraped the cat hair off, re-applied, realized it was a weird angle, lifted it up, re-applied, it shifted at the last second and wasn't even on the screen in parts, lifted it up, screwed up AGAIN and had it off the top of the unit, lifted it up, re-applied, and finally got it right.

I don't recommend my approach, but worst-case, you can re-apply if you are super-duper careful (and lucky).

I'd say let it sit for a day and see if the bubble goes away, but if not, you might have a tiny piece of dust under there. Consider re-applying in the bathroom with the shower running like they recommend, if you haven't tried that already.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I got the amfilm ones and the first one went on just fine, no bubbles no dust. Didn't even do the steamy bathroom thing.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I got the amfilm ones and the first one went on just fine, no bubbles no dust. Didn't even do the steamy bathroom thing.

I went through 3 of them before I got one on perfectly. First one somehow got a hair under it, and after I tried pulling it off and removing the hair the bubbles were out of hand. Second one had bubbles too. Had to get another pack of them and the third one went on perfectly with no issue. That said, I think they'll give you a replacement pack if you contact them if you had issues applying both protectors that come in the pack. I ended up just buying another set because I didn't want to wait.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The switch has left. It was a very well received gift, which pleases me. It was super fun to play on. At the same time, I also feel a little better about not owning one now, because I'm not sure it'd be anything more than a zelda machine.

This probably won't stop me from buying one when they become easily available, though.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice on the screen protectors, everyone. I ended up getting in to contact with the company and they're going to replace them. Until then I'll just have to deal with an ugly screen - which won't be too big of a deal since I plan to play Zelda mostly docked.

First impressions, the release really does feel half baked but I think it's a pretty neat piece of hardware. The OS seems like something thrown together to fill that need until it's really ready. That's not too unusual for any hardware launch though.

Zelda is nice so far. Honestly I'd prefer to play it on better hardware (I really like my PS4) but maybe that feeling will lessen once I take it on the go a few times. I don't know how often I'll do that though - after all I mostly play my 3DS on the couch. Portability isn't much of a selling point to me.

The apprehension is still there but at least I'm giving Nintendo another shot.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Got a pair of the Orzly tempered glass screen protectors in the mail the other day, but waited until today to put one on. It went on a treat; I did the steamy bathroom thing and while I had no dust, there were three big air bubbles that I really had to work at to remove.

My success with the Switch screen protector emboldened me to try and apply a spare screen protector to my wife's tablet, as I had bungled it the first time. I bungled it even worse the second. I think I'm just going to go to Best Buy and pick her up a new screen protector and have them apply the damn thing.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice on the screen protectors, everyone. I ended up getting in to contact with the company and they're going to replace them. Until then I'll just have to deal with an ugly screen - which won't be too big of a deal since I plan to play Zelda mostly docked.

First impressions, the release really does feel half baked but I think it's a pretty neat piece of hardware. The OS seems like something thrown together to fill that need until it's really ready. That's not too unusual for any hardware launch though.

Zelda is nice so far. Honestly I'd prefer to play it on better hardware (I really like my PS4) but maybe that feeling will lessen once I take it on the go a few times. I don't know how often I'll do that though - after all I mostly play my 3DS on the couch. Portability isn't much of a selling point to me.

I am honestly shocked that you bought this system after your trials with the WiiU. I hope it turns out better for you!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Don't get me wrong I've had plenty of screen protectors for phones go ass up when trying to apply them and putting one on my Switch gave me huge amounts of anxiety. But I lucked out and had no problems.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    TDawg wrote: »

I am honestly shocked that you bought this system after your trials with the WiiU. I hope it turns out better for you!

I'm a bit shocked at myself too. But I love Nintendo and will probably always have a special place in my heart for them. That's part of the reason I get so frustrated with some of their decisions.

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    I've never used a tempered glass screen protector for any device, so this may be normal, but....I seem to get a lot of glare and reflection on my screen with the Orzly protector. Much more noticeable with a darker game like Isaac, and less so with Blaster Master. Kind of a shame, but not the end of the world, I guess.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »
    I've never used a tempered glass screen protector for any device, so this may be normal, but....I seem to get a lot of glare and reflection on my screen with the Orzly protector. Much more noticeable with a darker game like Isaac, and less so with Blaster Master. Kind of a shame, but not the end of the world, I guess.

I will say, I'm using the AmFilm protector, and there are times playing BoI when it is extremely hard to tell what's going on. However, I didn't buy the game until after I installed the screen protector, so I have no point of reference to compare it to, and it's possible that at times it's just a dark game that's hard to see sometimes.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    HAL Laboratory developed various parts of Switch
    HAL Laboratory isn’t traditionally associated with working directly on Nintendo hardware. Fans are likely more aware of the company for having worked on the Kirby and Smash Bros. franchises, among many other titles.

For Switch though, HAL was directly involved with the hardware’s creation. They developed the following parts of the system:

– Web browser component
    – Mii library
    – Game development environments
    – Game development tools

The Web browser components are used for following parts:

– Connect Switch to a Nintendo Account
    – eShop
    – Posting screenshots to SNS
    – And more

Those who are in the photo below are the actual staffers who joined in during development. 32 people in total are pictured.

hal-switch.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Hum. new update today?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    HAL Laboratory developed various parts of Switch
    HAL Laboratory isn’t traditionally associated with working directly on Nintendo hardware. Fans are likely more aware of the company for having worked on the Kirby and Smash Bros. franchises, among many other titles.

For Switch though, HAL was directly involved with the hardware’s creation. They developed the following parts of the system:

– Web browser component
    – Mii library
    – Game development environments
    – Game development tools

The Web browser components are used for following parts:

– Connect Switch to a Nintendo Account
    – eShop
    – Posting screenshots to SNS
    – And more

Those who are in the photo below are the actual staffers who joined in during development. 32 people in total are pictured.

hal-switch.jpg

the eshop is terrible

old games are gone unless you know they're already there and search for them

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Anyone else having trouble with the Eshop? I'm trying to buy Blaster master and shovel knight and after i put in my information i get a "session has timed out" error

I know i'm not that slow.

• Options
    Are there downsides to merging my Switch eShop account with my 3DS one?

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So a dude on reddit just posted an image of his Switch warping from heat while on the dock. Certainly enough, I put mine on a flat surface and it is very slightly starting to warp. This is really upsetting.

Edit:

You know what, I'll calm down and attribute this slight bend to manufacturing and not a warp caused by temperature, but I'll keep a close eye on it.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    So a dude on reddit just posted an image of his Switch warping from heat while on the dock. Certainly enough, I put mine on a flat surface and it is very slightly starting to warp. This is really upsetting.

Edit:

You know what, I'll calm down and attribute this slight bend to manufacturing and not a warp caused by temperature, but I'll keep a close eye on it.

If you put the Switch on a flat surface, it's possible that it's actually warp due to heat. There's a part on the back that should not be covered, that's where it dissipates heats from.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

It merges your eShop funds, so there really isn't a downside.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

They sure make it sound as if there were when you try to do it on the Switch D:

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

They sure make it sound as if there were when you try to do it on the Switch D:

It might prevent you from merging in a different account later. I could imagine some people screwing themselves over by accidentally merging an import Switch account with their local Nintendo account.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Edit:

Got a bit paranoid after undocking my switch after a play session and feeling it noticeably warm, wondering if leaving it docked all the time would be bad for it. I'm considering just leaving it on the home screen instead of putting it to sleep right away while docked, let the fans run to give it a chance to cool down after a long play session and let it auto-sleep.

This discussion has been closed.