As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoV] They say power corrupts...

PbPb Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
So with the rousing success of team lowbie on Virtue these past few days, we had an idea for another informal group: an all corrupter team (on Virtue). This isn't a set night or time, just a "Hey, want to get on your Corr?" kind of thing. So, if anyone has an existing Corr they want to play with or a new one they're going to bring, just drop a line in here with name and combo so we can see what we have going on. We're probably going to have an inaugural party next Tuesday for the concept, but after that it's ad-hoc.

I don't have a character made yet, but I'll probably make me an Ice/Kin.

Pb on

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't have one either. I think I'll do rad/rad

Name to be decided.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sweet idea, might get me to actually play a Villain since Ive been disliking my Brute over on Guardian anyways... And although I havnt played my recent lowbie from Team Sudden Alts past the first night, its good to hear the rest of you are enjoying it, Ive just been too busy leveling my main Hero, who is a whole 26 right now.

Right now Im thinking Dark Blast/Cold Domination.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm all kinds of booked on Tuesday so I'll have to miss out, at least initially.

Accualt on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll be along, too. I've got a 29 Ice/Cold right now, but I'm going to make a new one, too; probably AR/Dark or Sonic/Dark. It's hard to get away from /Dark, overused as it is. It's just such a good secondary. And the best part is that you don't really lose anything by having multiple /Darks on a team like you do with /Kin.

Just some quick commentary on a couple builds I know well:

Ice/Cold is monster. It AoEs better than Fire/Dark, plus it has some nice shields and really powerful debuffs. Dropping Infrigidate and Benumb on the same target basically gives you 30 seconds to slap it around like a little bitch, purple boss or not. The downside? Not very versatile, no heal, very late-blooming, constantly re-casting shields, and Frostwork's just not as impressive without a brute to use it on. Also, Sleet is in virtually every way Tar Patch's superior; it debuffs resistance, debuffs defense, slows, lowers recharge, and knocks down. It cycles faster as well. The trade-off? You don't get it until level 35. And the reason this build is such an AoE monster: Sleet + Ice Storm + Blizzard + Heatloss. You've got two -res effects stacking with significant -defense. Most enemies will be put at the slow and -recharge caps, and Heatloss will siphon so much endurance out of them that they likely won't be able to fight back. This combo basically leaves entire groups of mobs with nothing to do but stand there and die. But keep in mind that until level 32, the only AoE you've got is Ice Breath and Ice Storm.

Ice/Dark is Fire/Dark's under-appreciated cousin. It does fantastic AoE damage with the added bonus of additional slows and -recharge, which mitigates damage and keeps mobs in the rain longer. Blizzard owns the shit out of Inferno, too*. Still, it's not quite as damaging as Fire/Dark overall, but is a touch more defensive to compensate.

*I say this for a couple reasons:
    • First, while Inferno can be disgustingly powerful, it's also unpredictable. It will always do about half its potential damage. It'll do about 1/4 more 75% of the time, and 1/4 more 50% of the time. This isn't awful, it's just not all that consistent, for a power that shuts off your regen and leaves you standing very close to a lot of mobs that it may not kill.
    • Second, Inferno's PBAoE with a 16-target cap. Blizzard is a rain (ranged, location-targeted AoE) with no target cap (at least not that seems to be known). It does more damage than Inferno (usually) from long range over a wider area, with slow and knockdown.

If anyone's being indecisive about a power set, though, remember: we can always use /Thermal, /Sonic (which is pretty rare), and /Kin.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There are a couple things I like about Tar Patch over Sleet: it lasts longer (twice as long), it hits the slow cap from a single power without slotting for slows and it doesn't scatter.

Also, mobs will actually run back into it, which is nice.

Pb on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have an AR/Traps on my second account!

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »

That's nice. How about you make a big boy combo? Nah, just kidding, I'm sure we can carry you.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    wallhitter wrote: »

That's nice. How about you make a big boy combo? Nah, just kidding, I'm sure we can carry you.

I just did...Energy/Kin, bitch

Or perhaps I should make a Fire/Dark?

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    RagRag Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've not a clue what to make for this, hmm.

Rag on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    There are a couple things I like about Tar Patch over Sleet: it lasts longer (twice as long), it hits the slow cap from a single power without slotting for slows and it doesn't scatter.

Also, mobs will actually run back into it, which is nice.

Also, you get Tar Patch about 28 levels earlier. ;-)

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have an Ice/Cold, and it's definitely a very slow set for starting. Mine's 34ish now and I wouldn't call it decent til like 28.

Scooter on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have a Sonic/Rad corr, named Harsh Language, that I'd love to play. She's 15ish. She was created for a previous all-corr PA team which was great fun.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    MordenMorden Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Interesting idea. I recently reactivated CoH and after finding that Justice is basically a dead server with tumbleweeds floating about instead of players, I rerolled on Freedom. My highest toons have always been heroes but I did bring up a nice little Ice/Thermal Corr named Midget Cryo a while back. Loved being able to dish out the damage in one hand and heal in the other.

As I've been out of the loop for a while, is Virtue fairly populated? I note that it has medium population as Freedom does.

Morden on
    Obligatory and unnecessary self-promotion: Twitter | Blog | Podcast |
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If this wasn't your first day here, I'd smack you for taking this long to make your way to Virtue. :P It's the place to be.

Scooter on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh man, my sonic batmonster is all over this.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As soon as I manage to unfuck my computer after yesterday's system crash I'll bring the best Corrupter on the server for this.

Dark/Thermal/Moo Mastery.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    I have an Ice/Cold, and it's definitely a very slow set for starting. Mine's 34ish now and I wouldn't call it decent til like 28.

Sleet is basically the same thing as Freezing Rain. It really ought to open up earlier. I don't think I have any empty slots on Virtue to do this with, unless I delete someone again. And I think the only thing I have left to think about deleting is my level 15 DM/EA brute, and I kind of of want to re-roll him as DM/Elec.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    alright, rad/rad corr named Guiltfeeder.

What's everyone's thoughts on Irradiate? It's the only PBAoE attack until the 30's. I don't particularly like Combustion on my AoE fire/fire blaster, but I don't know how effective irradiate is. And this isn't a blaster.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »

What's everyone's thoughts on Irradiate? It's the only PBAoE attack until the 30's. I don't particularly like Combustion on my AoE fire/fire blaster, but I don't know how effective irradiate is. And this isn't a blaster.

It's good, but not very high priority. Also keep in mind that it has a very heavy -def component, so it's not just about damage.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'll be Fire/Dark Corr Crimson Jim

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »

It's good, but not very high priority. Also keep in mind that it has a very heavy -def component, so it's not just about damage.

Its -def is higher and lasts longer than any other Rad Blast power, or so it use to be. Rad Blast is pretty awesome, though it has lower dmg than most the +acc, speed of attacks, and awesome looking attacks makes up for it imo.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So I was rebuilding my sonics guy when it hit me just how much damage an all-corr group could do. So many status effects.

I am so in on this.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Just to tally up what we've got so far...

AR/Sonic (myself)
    Fire/Cold (Nel)
    Ice/Kin (A Duck)
    Fire/Dark (wallhitter)

...we could use a */Thermal, and you just can't have too many */Darks and */Rads, although I don't know how effective anchor powers will be with this team (anchors die too fast).

If you make a */Traps, we will mock you mercilessly.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Count on a sonic/kinetic.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hey, /Traps will have a FF pet and...uh...hmmmm

Accualt on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    what about energy/therm? i was thinking that maybe

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    Hey, /Traps will have a FF pet and...uh...hmmmm
    Seeker drones are rather badass. Nice debuff, and even if they don't hit, they'll soak an alpha for you.

But other than that, yeah, traps is... uh... not good.
    Pony wrote: »
    what about energy/therm? i was thinking that maybe
    So long as you're not a tard about the knockback (e.g. either don't take Energy Torrent and Explosive Blast, or be very careful in their application), go nuts. Thermal is badass. Energy? Well, it's annoying. Especially when you consider how many location-based AoEs this team will be packing.

I was actually working on a build for Dark/Thermal before I went with AR/Sonic:

Exported from Ver: 1.7.6.0 of the CoH_CoV Character Builder - (http://sherksilver.coldfront.net/index.php)
    Name:
    Level: 41
    Archetype: Corruptor
    Primary: Dark Blast
    Secondary: Thermal Radiation
    01) --> Dark Blast==> Acc(1) Acc(3) Dmg(7) Dmg(19) Dmg(31)
    01) --> Warmth==> EndRdx(1) Heal(5) Heal(11) Heal(25)
    02) --> Gloom==> Acc(2) Acc(3) Dmg(11) Dmg(19) Dmg(31)
    04) --> Fire Shield==> DmgRes(4) DmgRes(5) DmgRes(17)
    06) --> Cauterize==> Heal(6) Heal(7) Heal(17)
    08) --> Tenebrous Tentacles==> Acc(8) Acc(9) Dmg(9) Dmg(25) Immob(34) Immob(40)
    10) --> Recall Friend==> Rechg(10)
    12) --> Night Fall==> Acc(12) Acc(13) Dmg(13) Dmg(31) Dmg(37)
    14) --> Teleport==> Range(14) Range(15) Range(15)
    16) --> Swift==> Run(16)
    18) --> Health==> Heal(18)
    20) --> Stamina==> EndMod(20) EndMod(21) EndMod(21)
    22) --> Plasma Shield==> DmgRes(22) DmgRes(23) DmgRes(23)
    24) --> Power of the Phoenix==> Rechg(24)
    26) --> Life Drain==> Acc(26) Acc(27) Heal(27) Heal(37) Heal(40)
    28) --> Forge==> Rechg(28) Rechg(29) Rechg(29)
    30) --> Thaw==> Range(30)
    32) --> Blackstar==> Acc(32) Dmg(33) Dmg(33) Dmg(33) Rechg(34) Rechg(34)
    35) --> Heat Exhaustion==> Acc(35) Acc(36) Rechg(36) Rechg(36) Rechg(37)
    38) --> Melt Armor==> Acc(38) Acc(39) Rechg(39) Rechg(39) Rechg(40)
    01) --> Sprint==> Empty(1)
    01) --> Brawl==> Empty(1)
    01) --> Scourge==> Empty(1)
    02) --> Rest==> Empty(2)

Could be worth looking into. Doubt we'll have another Dark or Thermal.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

AR/Sonic (myself)
    Fire/Cold (Nel)
    Ice/Kin (A Duck)
    Fire/Dark (wallhitter)

...we could use a */Thermal, and you just can't have too many */Darks and */Rads, although I don't know how effective anchor powers will be with this team (anchors die too fast).

damn dirty hippy. Where am I on that list?

:P

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 2007

AR/Sonic (myself)
    Fire/Cold (Nel)
    Ice/Kin (A Duck)
    Fire/Dark (wallhitter)
    Rad/Rad (KingsHand, but only when he's not busy molesting puppies)

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

AR/Sonic (myself)
    Fire/Cold (Nel)
    Ice/Kin (A Duck)
    Fire/Dark (wallhitter)
    Rad/Rad (KingsHand, but only when he's not busy molesting puppies)

Those puppies were asking for it. You should have seen the look they were giving me.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So Ive made my Dark/Cold, which for lack of a better costume Idea, Im a cyborg werewolf named Cryohound...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Traps is better than you think, but not so great in teams. Poison Trap is a kick ass AoE hold, Acid Mortar is good -Res and aggro soaker. Its just in a fast team like an all corr team, you'll be leaving behind your stationary traps alot, and they made it so you can't port Acid Mortar around anymore. Which is retarded, but there you go.

Corvus on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    what about AR/Thermal?

AR turns me off with all it's lethal damage

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pretty much any secondary other than Traps is worth taking, although (and I never thought I'd have to say this) we could use more /Dark. Tar Patch is something you want up every spawn, sometimes twice a spawn. With all the location and targeted AoE the slow is immensely useful.

Pb on
  • Options
    RagRag Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We'll have so much debuffing that the lethal damage of AR won't really be an issue in a group like this.
    We could really use a thermal, though.
    We need all 3 kinds of shields on everyone.
    That way between those and frostwork, one of the people who chose not to take a shield set (Duck) can take the alphas for us.

Rag on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rag wrote: »
    We'll have so much debuffing that the lethal damage of AR won't really be an issue in a group like this.
    We could really use a thermal, though.
    We need all 3 kinds of shields on everyone.
    That way between those and frostwork, one of the people who chose not to take a shield set (Duck) can take the alphas for us.

my only problem with thermals is that I like my game to run at more than 3fps. For some reason thermal, more than any other powerset, kills my framerate.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, where is my Dark/Thermal on that there list?

Sure I'll be rsking into all the nights but that doesn't matter!

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    When I can, I have a 33 fire/ice that would love to be exemped if need be.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've got a lvl 47 fire/kin that wouldn't mind exemping down for hilarity. @PowerLeveler

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I have a Brute.

Oh, or a 48 Ice/Ice Corr.

Accualt on