Options

Has anyone used bone conduction headsets?

NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
I have a huge head, so big that even hats made for big headed people barely fit me. I had to return a PS4 Gold Wireless headset because it couldn't fit, and even my Logitech G430 at max extension pinches my ears after an hour or so.

I noticed on the various PA gaming Twitch streams that the staff use what seem to be bone conduction headsets (from what I can see, they loop around the back of the head and rest in front of the ear lobes), and I think that my be the answer for me. Anything to not pinch my ears. So, some questions:

What brand are the PA crew using?
Are any compatible with the PS4?
Do they have a microphone?
If yes to the last two questions, are they wireless?

I've done a preliminary search, but aren't really sure what to look for.

Thanks!

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I have not tried them, but have you considered earbuds or in-ear monitors?

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    I use Finis Neptune when I hit the pool for exercise and like them for that purpose but not sure how bone conduction would perform above the water because water in the pool acts as a medium to transfer conduction. Outside the pool, any similar device would have to have a very tight grip on your skin.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I asked once in stream which ones PA uses and I think they were aftershokz, which look like they are wireless, have a microphone, and are compatible with ps4

Psykoma on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I have not tried them, but have you considered earbuds or in-ear monitors?

I hate actually having things in my ears. But thanks for the suggestion :)
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I asked once in stream which ones PA uses and I think they were aftershokz, which look like they are wireless, have a microphone, and are compatible with ps4

Yeah, I've looked at their site, and right now their entire product line (from what I can see, anyway) is marketed toward running/fitness customers. That said, their Twitter account seems pretty active, so I just sent them an inquiry. Hopefully they'll answer.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I have three friends who have bought the Aftershockz Trekz Titanium sets. They swear by them. Personally, my head is on the bigger side, so I can't speak to audio quality or fit. There is a fitting guide on their website that I downloaded, so I'm gonna give it another shot.

They are definitely geared towards the fitness crew, but there is something awesome about having open-ear headphones that sound good. You do look weird wearing them, but that's not a huge deal.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    edit: wrong thread

Marty81 on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Inquiry: How does the sound isolation of these types compare to in-ear headphones?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Inquiry: How does the sound isolation of these types compare to in-ear headphones?

You don't get any, as I understand it. You can hear everything around you well as whatever is being played through the headphones.

This is a selling point for them in marketing aimed at cyclists, in particular.

Reviews I've read have described the sensation as quite strange, because however loud your surroundings it isn't possible for background noise to drown out what's being played.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Wouldn't it be heard by other people around you too?

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Nope, because the sound isn't being conducted through the air, then through your ear drum (which would allow that air vibration to act on someone else's ear drum as well). It's directly vibrating the bones in your head, so no "sound leak" as it were.

It's a pretty cool idea.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Nope, because the sound isn't being conducted through the air, then through your ear drum (which would allow that air vibration to act on someone else's ear drum as well). It's directly vibrating the bones in your head, so no "sound leak" as it were.

It's a pretty cool idea.
    In theory, yes. In practice, many bone conduction headsets have sound leakage. I would highly suggest finding some good reviews before purchasing.

8i1dt37buh2m.png