As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

He must be a king ... he hasn't got [MOVIES] all over 'im.

FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
edited April 2017 in Social Entropy++
A combo of reaction shots, terrifying imagery, and unconventional editing is the best way to handle something mind-breaking on film, I think. Look at the jailhouse scene in Salem's Lot: there's the "hey, what's that noise?" shot. Jump scare. Then you have the silent scream reaction to the truly terrifying vampire. Then shock-cut back to ANOTHER jump scare. Super effective. And I don't care for jump scares. But that worked on me, hard. (Phrasing.)

I like the idea of "not meant to fit the frame" for a cosmic monstrosity. It's not meant to be seen by puny human eyes, or understood by puny human comprehension. It shouldn't fit the frame, either.

Fawst on

• Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    The Void was pretty great you guys.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2017
    I want to make a movie based on the Gelatinous Cube from DnD.

It just fills a room and people keep walking into it and getting dissolved alive.

I mean, it's at least as plausible as The Mangler.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

It just fills a room and people keep walking into it and getting dissolved alive.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057970/

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    To really hammer home the idea that you should really avoid showing any monster in a Lovecraftian horror film, the best one (and the scariest film I have seen in years) is In the Mouth of Madness and you get maybe one full shot of the monsters and they look goofy as fuck.

Just a bunch of dudes in rubber suits hobbling towards the camera.

And that film still scared the shit out of me.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2017

Dammit I've actually seen that. I forgot about it

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Dammit I've actually seen that. I forgot about it

To be fair it's not entirely the same. I was mostly just making fun of how the "monster" was so shitty that people literally had to walk or crawl into it willingly to represent it "eating" them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well damn, Jeff Bridges has lost a shitload of weight since he was in True Grit. That picture from Kingsmen 2 makes him look gaunt...

• Options
    Scott Bakula looked really thin in the episode of It's Always Sunny I just watched.

That always concerns me

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Stop motion horror will always always cause me to recoil in pure visceral terror.

I freakin' love it.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Scott Bakula looked really thin in the episode of It's Always Sunny I just watched.

That always concerns me

He might have been thin, but he was the best part of that episode.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what if you spend a whole movie not showing the lovecraftian monster and then near the climax the hero finally gets a peak at the unknowable madness and it's a black man cuddling a white woman

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

That always concerns me

He might have been thin, but he was the best part of that episode.

Dude has some pipes!

• Options
    get out is totally a response to lovecraft, isn't it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Tal are you spoiling Get Out

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Lovecraft's stories are always very protagonist driven - everything in them is experienced through the viewpoint of the protagonist, and the horror is derived from that. That protagonist's disintegrating mind, the way that they see the world, all of that is an important part of how Lovecraftian horror works. Obviously there are specific monsters that have stuck out as cultural touchstones, but I think that much of the horror is derived from the look inward, as opposed to looking directly at the monsters. It's like wearing a pair of glasses with a prescription way stronger than yours - the pain isn't from looking at the world around you, but from seeing it through those glasses.

Which is a hard thing to capture in film, because what are you going to do, film it in first person? Even that won't give you the background hum of another person's mind, the inescapable dread.

I think the best way to handle some of that is through soundtracking and audio cues, although even that would be a tough needle to thread. To that point, I think if you want to make a Lovecraft film that captures some of that same terror, you should work with one of his stories that is heavily based on sound. Give me a movie about the Hound of Tindalos and its unearthly baying echoing through the angles of time.

Edit: Yes technically the Hound of Tindalos isn't Lovecraft, it's Frank Belknap Long. But it got subsumed in Derleth's build out of the Lovecraftian Universe, which is pretty much where all of the modern conceptions of Lovecraft come from the begin with, and Lovecraft himself mentioned it in The Whisperer in Darkness.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The best Lovecraftian horror are those Trivago commercials where the guy's voice doesn't quite match up with him, and it feels out of synch even though it isn't, and there's this awful disconnect between what your ears and eyes are telling you

• Options
    edited April 2017
    The best Lovecraftian horror are those Trivago commercials where the guy's voice doesn't quite match up with him, and it feels out of synch even though it isn't, and there's this awful disconnect between what your ears and eyes are telling you

Best. Price. GUARANTEED

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I've actually been toying with how to approach Lovecraftian monsters in my comics. Because like half the characters that appear in it are aliens and monsters you can't really just draw a bigger one and call it a mind altering terror. I've been flirting with possibly using photo collaging or actually sculpting some puppets. Just something super wrong feeling for it all.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Tal are you spoiling Get Out

I don't even know what happens in get out besides it being a horror movie about a black man visiting his white girlfriend's family, in response to lovecraft's unknowable horrors being an extension of his fear about miscegenation

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    I've actually been toying with how to approach Lovecraftian monsters in my comics. Because like half the characters that appear in it are aliens and monsters you can't really just draw a bigger one and call it a mind altering terror. I've been flirting with possibly using photo collaging or actually sculpting some puppets. Just something super wrong feeling for it all.

Just tease the big reveal then when they turn the page they see...

... A mirror! The monster is inside of you!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    TURNS OUT IT'S MAN

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    HE JUST FLEXED OUT OF HIS CAST

I am going to find the people who write these films, and I am going to slap them so hard their dead great-grandparents feel it.

• Options
    Seeing myself when I not expecting to always scares the shit out of me. I have to double check that is not a, werewolf.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I am going to find the people who write these films, and I am going to slap them so hard their dead great-grandparents feel it.

is slap a weird pronunciation of hug

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Artist's depiction of your attempt to do that

330px-Michelangelo_-_Creation_of_Adam.jpg

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

western australia is so isolated from the rest of the world that they had to go with the onomatopoeia of wrapping your arms around someone

it is known

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

The way that I've seen it done best is by refusing to contour to the limits of the comic book. Like, breaking out of frames, seeping into the bleed, existing in a context that does not take to the panel layout structure of comics.

Although if you need some help with some puppetry stuff, let me know. I've seen some fantastic bits of unsettling horror done in the Chicago puppetry community, it's a really interesting art to explore.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

The way that I've seen it done best is by refusing to contour to the limits of the comic book. Like, breaking out of frames, seeping into the bleed, existing in a context that does not take to the panel layout structure of comics.

Although if you need some help with some puppetry stuff, let me know. I've seen some fantastic bits of unsettling horror done in the Chicago puppetry community, it's a really interesting art to explore.

I actually have a friend who did some weird horror puppetry stuff in Chicago. Wonder if they are connected. She showed me some amazing stuff she had worked on.

But yeah! Back in my Backwood Folk days I would have the supernatural characters able to walk between panels and stuff. Had the Devil drag another out of the actual panel and beat them senseless in the gutters of the comic, and just trap them there. I love stuff like that.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

HE IS THE CALVARY!

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

I actually have a friend who did some weird horror puppetry stuff in Chicago. Wonder if they are connected. She showed me some amazing stuff she had worked on.

But yeah! Back in my Backwood Folk days I would have the supernatural characters able to walk between panels and stuff. Had the Devil drag another out of the actual panel and beat them senseless in the gutters of the comic, and just trap them there. I love stuff like that.

Chicago puppetry community is pretty small, there's like a fifty fifty I've seen some of her work.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I think it's F&F 5 where The Rock is at his most Furious. Where he's just soaking wet in literally every scene he's in.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    At end of last thread, someone mentioned fear of clowns having always been a thing, but that's not really true.

Yes, some people were always afraid of clowns, but it didn't really become widespread until about 35-40 years ago. This is thought to have been caused by the 1-2-3 punch of John Wayne Gacy, Poltergeist, and It catapulting the imagery of the creepy clown into the public consciousness to the point that it eventually became the default depiction of clowns in media. Prior to that, the Joker was probably the most prominent evil clown and he wasn't really portrayed as creepy or as a "scary clown" until some stories in the 80s.

Most modern children were probably exposed to a depiction of a creepy clown before ever encountering a "regular" clown and the association sticks. Living in an age of computer effects has also made modern audiences more aware of the uncanny valley effect, which clowns can also trigger due to looking slightly "off" from a normal human appearance.

It's similar to how the movie Jaws caused a sharp upswing in the fear of sharks, which lead to more shark horror movies which lead to more audiences being exposed to scary sharks at a young age. Granted, your average shark is probably more dangerous than your average clown.

• Options
    I'm bringing Morgan (my 7 year old) to F8 of the Furious tomorrow.

Does this make me a good dad... Or the best dad?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'm suddenly reminded of the time my dad let me watch True Lies when I was like 7 and I asked him what a blowjob was

Shorty on
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm suddenly reminded of the time my dad let me watch True Lies when I was like 7 and I asked him what a blowjob was

It's a thing that Tom Arnold was getting when he blew a 7 week operation.

• Options

No. She just willed a dead man back to life. It's slap o'clock, in slap city, in the Chinese year of the slap.

These movies are so bad. I can see why people love them, though.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

No. She just willed a dead man back to life. It's slap o'clock, in slap city, in the Chinese year of the slap.

These movies are so bad. I can see why people love them, though.

They are very good movies

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    They're bad and vin diesel is bad and the only good thing about them is grunting about "uhhhng when ye' in FAMLY no one get lef behin"

• Options
    Remember that literally threw cars out of an airplane to film a scene in that movie.

It is a true labor of love.

• Options
    I hate fun.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.