As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies]: YOU MANIACS!!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Thirith wrote: »
    I actually liked what they were trying to do with Salvation; it didn't feel like a retread to me. Shame that they did it so boringly, but as far as telling new stories in that universe is concerned, at least Salvation didn't feel quite as much like autocannibalism.

Salvation was an excellent idea as a setting (the details not so much), done horribly.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I actually liked what they were trying to do with Salvation; it didn't feel like a retread to me. Shame that they did it so boringly, but as far as telling new stories in that universe is concerned, at least Salvation didn't feel quite as much like autocannibalism.

True, Salvation was a bad movie for completely different reasons. Not least of which being that the movie's vision of the war looked nothing like what was shown in T1 and T2. Humanity scuttling like mice in the ruins of their civilization, freezing in terror as the footsteps of mechanical giants come ever closer, fleeing the light because to be seen is to be dead. Whoever decided that the post-nuclear resistance had an air force should feel bad and question their life choices.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

True, Salvation was a bad movie for completely different reasons. Not least of which being that the movie's vision of the war looked nothing like what was shown in T1 and T2. Humanity scuttling like mice in the ruins of their civilization, freezing in terror as the footsteps of mechanical giants come ever closer, fleeing the light because to be seen is to be dead. Whoever decided that the post-nuclear resistance had an air force should feel bad and question their life choices.

Not exactly a bad choice, since the time line was not the same as the original - when the war started later.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The best thing for the Terminator franchise (post-T2) was the TV show.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    I didn't realise there were two cinematic monster universes going

I thought the mummy and Dracula were in with Godzilla and Kong and now I'm sad

How would that work?

In some versions, both have armageddon-level powers. So, yeah, it might technically be a fair fight, I just can't imagine it being an exciting one to watch. More like the last two minutes of X-men 3 if Jean Gray was only 2 inches tall.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I recently watched S1 of the series, and while there's a lot I like, I also felt that it was severely hampered by being an American TV series (and not on one of the prestige channels). Much of the casting, writing, direction, camera work and VFX are decidedly TV: you've got blandly boring actors (apart from some of the leads), PG-style violence and language, and the overall rhythms of each episode are very much governed by set episode length and ad breaks. There are moments where the potential comes through, but at least in S1 I almost always felt that this was okay but it could've been great if it wasn't held back by its format and budget.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Not exactly a bad choice, since the time line was not the same as the original - when the war started later.

You can argue why that's the case from a practical standpoint, though I'm pretty sure that you need some high grade handwavium to explain the survival of the A-10s and enough support structure to keep them going.

The bigger issue is the change in tone that results. You lose the sense of being hopelessly outmatched, and the the story shifted from humanity beating the machines because of what makes them human (grit, determination, sacrifice, etc.) and humanity beating the machines using other machines.

• Options
    I recently watched S1 of the series, and while there's a lot I like, I also felt that it was severely hampered by being an American TV series (and not on one of the prestige channels). Much of the casting, writing, direction, camera work and VFX are decidedly TV: you've got blandly boring actors (apart from some of the leads), PG-style violence and language, and the overall rhythms of each episode are very much governed by set episode length and ad breaks. There are moments where the potential comes through, but at least in S1 I almost always felt that this was okay but it could've been great if it wasn't held back by its format and budget.

Now I want a Terminator series on Starz.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The Terminator series was in 2008/2009. That may have been just before prestige tv shows were a thing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    I didn't realise there were two cinematic monster universes going

I thought the mummy and Dracula were in with Godzilla and Kong and now I'm sad

How would that work?

Kong is bit by a mummy and Godzilla gets wrapped up by the vampire, now you got monster monsters!

Then they bite each others and become allmonsters.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    How many decades since Guy Ritchie produced a watchable movie?

• Options
    How many decades since Guy Ritchie produced a watchable movie?

The Sherlock Holmes movies were enjoyable enough.

• Options

Now I want a Terminator series on Starz.

Didn't they also relegate it to the 9 pm Friday slot?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    The Terminator series was in 2008/2009. That may have been just before prestige tv shows were a thing.

The Shield started on FX in 2001 and HBO had already had Oz and The Sopranos by then as well so high end cable shows were starting to be a thing well before then. Around 2007/2008 is when you get Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Justified and some others kicking off the supposed Golden age of TV but the groundwork for it had already been laid down.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

The Shield started on FX in 2001 and HBO had already had Oz and The Sopranos by then as well so high end cable shows were starting to be a thing well before then. Around 2007/2008 is when you get Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Justified and some others kicking off the supposed Golden age of TV but the groundwork for it had already been laid down.

Rome and Deadwood were also out (and canceled) by then, which might have been the more relevant comparisons as far as the studio suits go. Genre television and all that.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Guy Ritchie has no middle ground in his works, it's either really good/great or really bad/shit.

The only comfort is that Revolver has already been made so nothing he can do will be any worse.

• Options
    Thing that gets me, if you think about Guy Ritchie doing Camelot, why wouldn't you go with A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court type thing. Some light googling gets A Clerkenwell Cockney in King Arthur's Court as a working title.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Guy Ritchie has no middle ground in his works, it's either really good/great or really bad/shit.

The only comfort is that Revolver has already been made so nothing he can do will be any worse.

large_8nVfwjY1oW1o3OclY2TJT4gfQRV.jpg

• Options
    I posit that Revolver was worse because it's such pontificating bullshit and a waste of Statham.

Swept Away is laughably bad (I watched it on a plane) but I can at least see it being something Ritchie was forced into doing because of Madonna.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Ok, hear me out. Guy Ritchie directing a Terminator movie. Eva Green as Skynet. All movie threads resolved.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Revolver was a waste of several good actors.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Went to see King Arthur this weekend, and right before the movie started, a group of 8 loud teenagers sat behind us. Girlfriend and looked at each other and prepared for the worst.

They were silent throughout the whole thing, but as soon the credits started rolling, one of the girls loudly proclaimed "WELL THAT SUCKED"

The kids are alright.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Speaking of my massive "movie universes" post, here's a big info dump.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/22/dark-universe-announced-as-universal-monsters-shared-universe-depp-bardem-condon-and-elfman-confirmed

Universal is giving up their rights to do a 2nd mulligan after seeing how The Mummy does and are launching branding for their Universe right now.

Meanwhile in DCEU news:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/22/zack-snyder-exits-justice-league-after-family-tragedy-joss-whedon-to-finish-film

Zak Snyder is leaving Justice League based on a family tragedy and now Joss Whedon will take over. It's horrible for Snyder, but fascinating purely from a movies perspective that the same guy will do the team movie for Marvel and DC.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/22/dark-universe-announced-as-universal-monsters-shared-universe-depp-bardem-condon-and-elfman-confirmed

Universal is giving up their rights to do a 2nd mulligan after seeing how The Mummy does and are launching branding for their Universe right now.

Meanwhile in DCEU news:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/22/zack-snyder-exits-justice-league-after-family-tragedy-joss-whedon-to-finish-film

Zak Snyder is leaving Justice League based on a family tragedy and now Joss Whedon will take over. It's horrible for Snyder, but fascinating purely from a movies perspective that the same guy will do the team movie for Marvel and DC.

That feels like desperation on DC's part.
    "We need Avengers-level success. Who made that movie?"
    "Uh, Joss Whedon? But I think you might need more then just one guy to"
    "Shut up and throw money at Whedon until he signs up. This can't fail!"

• Options
    There's no words for what Snyder's dealing with.

The Dark Universe seems so, so odd. And I think they spoiled Crowe's character from the Mummy in the reveal. Bardem as Frankenstein should be good, but Depp as Invisible Man, wha? And now we're at Bride of Frankenstein? Are they just going to do what Lionsgate did with Aaron Eckhart and just draw some lines on her and say "that's our sexy lady Frankenstein"?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    There's no words for what Snyder's dealing with.

The Dark Universe seems so, so odd. And I think they spoiled Crowe's character from the Mummy in the reveal. Bardem as Frankenstein should be good, but Depp as Invisible Man, wha? And now we're at Bride of Frankenstein? Are they just going to do what Lionsgate did with Aaron Eckhart and just draw some lines on her and say "that's our sexy lady Frankenstein"?

Invisible Man is usually involved with some kind of violence towards women, which makes this a badder pick than normal. Also... what IS the premise of the Dark Universe. Are they monstrous heroes? Are some or all of them genuinely bad but they have to do... something?

And yeah, they spoiled Crowe early because he is the Nick Fury of this universe.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Part of what makes the original Invisible Man, to this day, a hugely entertaining movie, is the titular character's incredibly hammy, syrupy, maniacally evil voice and persona. He's spectacular. Johnny Depp's casting is super lame news in this context. Really, his casting in anything these days is always a bit of a bummer.

Bardem as Frankenstein's monster is kind of inspired, though.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Part of what makes the original Invisible Man, to this day, a hugely entertaining movie, is the titular character's incredibly hammy, syrupy, maniacally evil voice and persona. He's spectacular. Johnny Depp's casting is super lame news in this context. Really, his casting in anything these days is always a bit of a bummer.

Bardem as Frankenstein's monster is kind of inspired, though.

The great Claude Rains was The Invisible Man originally, wasn't he? And also the title character in the first color version of The Phantom of the Opera a decade later (I adore that version of Phantom). Marvellous voice that man had.

Jazz on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I would be more interested in a (Penny) Dreadful Universe.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Possibly some sort of league?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Extraordinary idea.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I liked the idea of Penny Dreadful better when I thought it was the same show as Peaky Blinders where Edwardian gangsters fought Gothic horror villains.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Jibba wrote: »
    It really does feel like there's a solid hour of plot that got left out, but this was never going to be good. It's too dumb.

Another anachronistic issue:

- London is called "Londinium," an old Latin name that was out of use by the 5th century.
    - There's a colosseum

See, I'm just not very attached to the source material as you are, but I have no problem with it being very dumb. It lets you know it's going to dumb from the very beginning. It's like a medieval Fast & Furious.

I'm not terribly attached to the source, really, just mostly surprised how far it deviates without any good reason to do so. The story is dim but there's enough action, I guess, if that's your thing.

It's kinda like if you made a Robin Hood story where the only other character from the source was Friar Tuck and Robin had a magic bow that shot cannonballs and the story was how he and his army of merry men defeated Charlemagne's evil twin at Waterloo and also Maid Marion is a pterodactyl that doesn't have a name.

Now see I kind of want to see that movie.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Doodmann wrote: »

Extraordinary idea.

Gentlemen, we may be onto something here.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I liked the idea of Penny Dreadful better when I thought it was the same show as Peaky Blinders where Edwardian gangsters fought Gothic horror villains.

Penny Dreadful was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen done right, and I liked that rendition better than Moore's.
    shryke wrote: »

Meanwhile in DCEU news:

That feels like desperation on DC's part.
    "We need Avengers-level success. Who made that movie?"
    "Uh, Joss Whedon? But I think you might need more then just one guy to"
    "Shut up and throw money at Whedon until he signs up. This can't fail!"

That's awful for Snyder's family to go through. :(

There are worse choices than Joss Whedon for this project, though their styles may clash.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Is Universal pretending like their Dracula movie from last year didn't count?

Hehe

Count

• Options
    edited May 2017

Hehe

Count

Nope. We're gonna get a Dracula, right? I'm fine with the new Mummy being on the team, but Tom Cruise Ethan HuntNick Morton feels like the odd man out.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Wow, that JL news.

I mean, if one man could save that movie, it's probably Whedon. That said, I don't think one man CAN save that movie, but if one man COULD...

I don't know if I see Whedon taking it in unless he's given the power to really fix what's broken. Control over the script, minimal meddling from the studio... especially after what he went through with AoU, I just don't see him accepting a doomed project, even if they throw money hats at him.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Hehe

Count

Last year? That was 2014.

Edit i had to google that

I'm not a vampire fan. What we do in the shadows is about the only vampire film i like, though I admit that I haven't seen too many of em

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Wow, that JL news.

I mean, if one man could save that movie, it's probably Whedon. That said, I don't think one man CAN save that movie, but if one man COULD...

I don't know if I see Whedon taking it in unless he's given the power to really fix what's broken. Control over the script, minimal meddling from the studio... especially after what he went through with AoU, I just don't see him accepting a doomed project, even if they throw money hats at him.

My guess is he accepted it without a lot of strings as a personal favor to the studio in light of Snyder's tragedy. (And at the same time, if I were him, I'd keep that in my back pocket for when Warners tries to come fuck with Whedon's Batgirl project. "Remember that time when I was there for you...")

ACsTqqK.jpg
This discussion has been closed.