As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's not just Japan anymore! The whole world's watching to see [Persona 5]'s next move.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

why are the spinoffs the way that they are

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Because at heart that's the way the Persona games themselves are, as much as we like to pretend otherwise

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    it's a metaphor for the prison of society and also

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Suddenly I’m not sad if we never get these

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm just glad they're just rhythm games and they don't try to shoehorn in a nonsensical story mode like the did with P4Dan.

Also, both games have much better music than P4, which is most of the reason I'm looking forward to them.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The dancing games are so depressing to me. Because they could be one of my favorite things ever. I love rhythm games, Persona has some great music, the characters get to have stylish new outfits, and the first game even had Rise--my favorite character--as the main protagonist!

But the story mode was a complete waste of time that did absolutely nothing interesting with any of the characters (it was mostly filled with cliche drivel), and now the sequels are leaning even more heavily to the DLC and fanservice that was present in P4DAN.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Because at heart that's the way the Persona games themselves are, as much as we like to pretend otherwise

Only if you think they start with 3.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    for all intents and purposes they do

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    for all intents and purposes they do

Sadly, most agree with you.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    yes because i'm correct!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    CJ's entire brand in the Persona threads is trying to make fetch happen

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »

Well admittedly it makes me sad when I see 'wow this trend in Persona sure is awful' and it's something exclusively problematic with the new games.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I'm just glad they're just rhythm games and they don't try to shoehorn in a nonsensical story mode like the did with P4Dan.

Also, both games have much better music than P4, which is most of the reason I'm looking forward to them.

See the lack of a story mode, even a bad one, is probably the deciding factor of me not buying it until it goes deeply on sale.

• Options
    it's still a trend in persona, nerd!

put him in a locker!!!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Let me tell you about my persona.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Well admittedly it makes me sad when I see 'wow this trend in Persona sure is awful' and it's something exclusively problematic with the new games.

stop trying to make fetch happen

• Options

What does that even mean?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

I'm neither versed enough to speak knowledgably regarding nor interested enough to do the research required to have a conversation about a state of the series as it was twenty years ago

Maybe Persona games ain't used to be that way. That's fine! That's sure as shit what Persona is now. That's Persona. That's a statement of right now, and the way things used to be in the old millennium ain't got nothing to do with nobody as of right this minute.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

get in, loser, we're watching Mean Girls

• Options

get in, loser, we're watching Mean Girls

https://youtu.be/ZanZPFn6dE0

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

cj

cj leave this thread and do not return until you have watched Mean Girls

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options

I'm neither versed enough to speak knowledgably regarding nor interested enough to do the research required to have a conversation about a state of the series as it was twenty years ago

Maybe Persona games ain't used to be that way. That's fine! That's sure as shit what Persona is now. That's Persona. That's a statement of right now, and the way things used to be in the old millennium ain't got nothing to do with nobody as of right this minute.

Thanks for making me feel old. :( I bought P1 when it came out.

And maybe not, but it'd be nice if the creators took a step and said 'hey, pandering isn't necessary for sales'.

Sadly, they're probably wrong... but it'd be nice.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

And maybe not, but it'd be nice if the creators took a step and said 'hey, pandering isn't necessary for sales'.

Is this the part where I pull open my ribcage and show you the Ogre Battle cartridge where my heart used to be, or what

But yeah, I agree, it would be very nice if the people who have their hands on the wheel would step back and away from their weird regressive pro-conformity misogynist bullshit, but I don't think that's going to happen unless we get a real changing of the guard

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Is this the part where I pull open my ribcage and show you the Ogre Battle cartridge where my heart used to be, or what

But yeah, I agree, it would be very nice if the people who have their hands on the wheel would step back and away from their weird regressive pro-conformity misogynist bullshit, but I don't think that's going to happen unless we get a real changing of the guard

It might happen with 6, given that Hashino is stepping back to do Re-Fantasy, but I really doubt it. Even SMTIV and the remake of SJ have gone full anime.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular

The outfits are the worst thing about this video, but the lip syncing and note chart both run them a close second.

It's like they learned nothing from DAN, the rhythm of the notes barely matches the song.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    oaysFx7.jpg

I'm honestly not so sure anymore.

It was still a jerk move to tease P2 characters in the P4Arena Shadow Operatives silhouettes. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I've tried Persona 1 and 2 and they were not very good. The 3-5 style of game is much better.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I've tried Persona 1 and 2 and they were not very good. The 3-5 style of game is much better.

They're more fun to play, no denying that. The P3 formula with P1/2's writing(and P5's dungeon designs) would be the perfect formula.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Ok, saying the gameplay of P3 is the one you want to copy is how we know you're doing a bit.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Radius wrote: »
    Ok, saying the gameplay of P3 is the one you want to copy is how we know you're doing a bit.

I've always said 3 is my favorite of the new games, this is nothing new. 4 had good ideas but is largely a retread, 5 is where it finally started getting stale.

3 is easily the most challenging, probably why I like it the most.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    As someone that only played 4 and 5

What’s up with the gameplay of 3

• Options

3 has a controversial thing where you don't have full party control. It was made optional in P3P, 4, and 5. You can assign tactics instead, or let them act on their own. The latter usually leads to silly things like Mitsuru attempting to charm enemies when the MC has ridiculously low health. (This can usually be avoided by having them on modes like full assault or support. Usually.)

Also has the toughest super boss in the series, since you have to fight her solo.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Oh right, yeah, I knew that but forgot

That reinforces the fact that I’ll never play it

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Make Persona 3 Eclipse on PS4 and add the male party member Social Links for the MC.

(and make FeMC canon)

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

You can’t decide what your party members do (unless you play persona 3 portable)

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I always use party control in the later games, but I never had any issues with 3. The worst thing about 3 was how you could flip enemies back up if you hit them when they were knocked down.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    I never had a problem with the automated party stuff in P3 and actually preferred most of it due to the pace of the battles

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    mitsuru never really dicked me over in p3

koro trying to instakill everything did, though

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

Hey remember how these are all underage kids

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »

Persona 2 held up pretty well for me. Granted, I rarely ever changed the personas of the cast, as in Innocent Sin you can keep on getting better versions of everyone's starting personas. I really should finish that game sometime.

This discussion has been closed.