double white face{sbfp}

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    This Dead Cells video is peak them not knowing how to read

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    And short on life. Don't let that sink in.

It can't--his bloodstream is already so saturated with red bull that his skin is actually hydrophobic.

A machine keeps him alive at night.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Night in the Woods is a goodass game. It is now over. Will the golden age continue? Or is a new time of suffering lurking over the horizon?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    We already had one Eclipse so...

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Night in the Woods is a goodass game. It is now over. Will the golden age continue? Or is a new time of suffering lurking over the horizon?

God, Yakuza, NitW, and LA Noire was an incredibly triple feature, huh.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    they're still on the boat

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    No now they are busy fighting penis headed/armed/legged monsters

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    No now they are busy fighting penis headed/armed/legged monsters

woolie is about to get the rageofafrica armor?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

It is hopefully time for Pat to take Woolie in a magical Nier Automata journey.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I haven't watched the NITW playthrough because I intend to play it for myself.

Good stuff, though?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Yeah it's good. Woolie on the controls, Matt's played it before. Woolie likes the story and characters. They voice all the dialogue. (And have fun with it.)

Gundi on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Good stuff, though?

Definitely check it out after beating the game. There are mutually exclusive hangout sessions most nights, so there's a bunch of content you can't see in your first playthrough

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    During the credits Woolie still does the "I would call this more of a visual novel" thing which makes me just wanna scream at them every time they pull out that chestnut but it's still a good playthrough mostly

Like goddamn dudes, you ain't gotta justify that shit

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Yeah, I kinda gave up on it once I realized there wasn't going to be any actual gameplay in that game. Which can be fine, but the characters and setting weren't really interesting to me.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    There's.....there's tons of gameplay in it

Even without the multiple minigames including a semi difficult rhythm game and all of the platforming sequences, stop pretending that choosing dialogue doesn't constitute enough interaction to qualify as gameplaaaaaaaaaay

It's such a useless and boring definition of what constitutes a game and i hate it

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It fulfills such a different purpose than gameplay does that I think it's silly and useless to consider them the same thing.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    There's.....there's tons of gameplay in it

Even without the multiple minigames including a semi difficult rhythm game and all of the platforming sequences, stop pretending that choosing dialogue doesn't constitute enough interaction to qualify as gameplaaaaaaaaaay

It's such a useless and boring definition of what constitutes a game and i hate it

useless huh
    seems like an important definition

"what genre is this game"
    "who cares"
    ?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Only if you want to parcel out writing and story as separate from the total sum experience of games which is a premise i reject with my entire being

• Options
    Only if you want to parcel out writing and story as separate from the total sum experience of games which is a premise i reject with my entire being
    Two things can interact with eachother and still be two different things.
    Would you actually say that moving a block in a tetris game and choosing a dialogue option in a visual novel are particularly similar in the way they engage you?

• Options
    being a visual novel does not make it 'not a game'

you're making a mountain out of a molehill

• Options
    I would say the similarities or lack thereof are irrelevant to how they should be valued within the medium and the comparison between them is totally uninteresting to me

• Options
    I want to watch them fuck up gameplay segments and get frustrated. Failing at minigames isn't the same. I will play a visual novel myself, and I love the Zero Escape games, but I don't think it works for the gang or a video/audio thing in general. I've read a few screenshot LPs of visual novels, you read the dialogue and then the person comments on in. In this sometimes they speak the dialogue, sometimes they skip it, sometimes they make jokes in their character voices. So you can't just listen or look away from the screen/text. It wasn't working for me, especially if I tried to have it on in the background while doing other things.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Good stuff, though?

Definitely check it out after beating the game. There are mutually exclusive hangout sessions most nights, so there's a bunch of content you can't see in your first playthrough

By the way, since they didn't get it in their playthrough, if you are planning on hanging out with Angus make sure to mess around with all the windmills on the roofs first.

• Options
    i also think it is ok for a thing to be a visual novel
    i don't know what it matters exactly for a thing to be a game or not

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    I would say the similarities or lack thereof are irrelevant to how they should be valued within the medium and the comparison between them is totally uninteresting to me
    You're the only one talking about value. I'm just talking about how they're different.

• Options

you're the only one arguing over value

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    being a visual novel does not make it 'not a game'

you're making a mountain out of a molehill
    I agree with this opinion but it's not the one Woolie was expressing

• Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    i also think it is ok for a thing to be a visual novel
    i don't know what it matters exactly for a thing to be a game or not

actually, i think i would hilariously think of it as a videogame, but not a game
    since videogame seems to be the catch-all for these interactive media things what are on the screens

but for game there would need to be, like, game mechanics, that's p much what a game is

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    the only people who think "it's not a game it's a visual novel" as a bad thing are grimblegrotters

• Options
    A game can be a game and still have little to no gameplay. As I see it. Games that are 'story focused' are sometimes just words or video and sometimes Platinum makes them.

Visual novel = zero to very little gameplay
    Nier = lots of gameplay that's just okay
    Nier Automata = lots of gameplay that's great

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

I think it's pretty disingenuous to pretend like categorizing what does and doesn't count as a videogame isn't intended as a value judgment but i don't see this argument going anywhere so *shrug*

• Options
    also it's important to note that the zaibatsu are insulated idiots

• Options

I think it's pretty disingenuous to pretend like categorizing what does and doesn't count as a videogame isn't intended as a value judgment but i don't see this argument going anywhere so *shrug*

that's begging the question

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I would not call Night in the Woods a visual novel. Adventure game maybe?

• Options
    get ye pretzel

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    that night in the woods main theme/credits theme is so damn good

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    I would not call Night in the Woods a visual novel. Adventure game maybe?

It's a pretty common western game thing, at least that I've noticed, where all they really have is charming art and good dialogue, but they don't want to go full visual novel so they let you walk around with your character. That little bit of control and seeing/being your character seems to make it more of a 'real' game.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Choosing dialogue is absolutely gameplay and isn't any less meaningful than jumping on a goomba or moving a Tetris block.

• Options
    Well you sound really confident so ok

CD World Tour status:
This discussion has been closed.