As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: So nice we bought it twice.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited April 2017 in Games and Technology
jo7UiP7.jpg
April 28th

Mario 8 Deluxe is a port of, you know, Mario Kart 8 to the Nintendo Switch. If you want a rundown of older Mario Karts, you can search for other threads.

oZQbB9k.png
Mario Kart 8 takes the setup from Mario Kart 7, where karts can go in water and the air, and adds anti-gravity to the mix. While largely a gimmick that doesn't change gameplay all that much (you can boost off special objects and other players while in antigrav mode) it did make for incredible setpieces in the tracks. Besides that, we got new characters ranging from Cool (the Koopalings) to Why (every baby character). There's also a bunch of new items that, in my opinion, makes it one of the best Mario Karts ever. The only weakness of the game was battle mode, which was so poor that it effectively didn't exist. But more on that later. Honestly, it's easier to just rip my micro-review of the game from the old OP I wrote three years ago:
So Mario Kart 8 is numbered for good reason, as it really builds on 7's air/land/sea stuff and throws anti-gravity into the mix. So there are plenty of opportunities for you to get a lot of air and glide for a short period, and likewise there are underwater sections in several tracks (and it seems like retro courses have been modified even more than in 7 to allow for this). The anti-gravity segments you've probably seen: going upside, sideways and all over. At first blush this seems like a gimmicky thing that doesn't really add much to the game. However, there are subtle mechanics at play that really change things up. Besides the BIG OBVIOUS anti-gravity set pieces on each track, there are subtle, optional areas where anti-gravity makes the track less linear than before. Sometimes you can ride on a wall to avoid a player with dangerous orbitals, go underwater for extra coins, or just take the obvious straightaway for speed. In other words, anti-gravity has had a major impact on track design, and people who had played it are really digging it.

There's smaller, but still relevant, things like bumping into another player during anti-gravity to earn a speed boost. Older features like tricks, mini-turbos, slipstream, coins and so on have been included to allow for maximum speed. Kart customization is back, with about 52 parts divvied up over three areas of your kart: body, wheels, and glider. These offer flexibility in how your kart/bike performs, and there are a few more parts available via various DLC. There's also the return of bikes, which are faster on turns but slower than karts on straightaways.
People have more or less unanimously agreed that 8 was one of the best games the series had seen in a long time. As I said earlier, the game was both the best and fastest selling game on the Wii U. Plenty of people have absolutely not problem shelling out another $60 to play this game. It's that good.

The game also is the first to dive into DLC, offering four cups' worth of tracks, a handful of new characters, new kart pieces, and the introduction of the WAY TOO FAST 200cc engine class. The game also incorporates tracks and characters from outside the Mario franchise, a series first unless you count ROB and Pac-Man, but we don't. Basically, Mario Kart 8 got a lot of stuff added to it.

ZEh33CP.png
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is more than just Nintendo double-dipping on Wii U games (although it is). For starters, the game will run in 1080p at 60fps (obvious going down to 720p at 60fps in handheld), compared to the Wii U version's 720p at a curious 59fps. It'll also be on the Switch, so you can play on the go and there's split-screen support for local multiplayer. Even when playing handheld, you can go up to four players split-screen, although the framerate will go down to 30fps with more than two players, regardless of whether the Switch is docked or not. Deluxe also includes ALL of the original DLC, except maybe the weird Mercedes promo stuff. As a bonus to veterans, most of the game's content will be unlocked from the get-go.

The largest addition is a revamped battle mode, which eliminates the half-assed version that launched with the Wii U. Deluxe will have eight courses specifically designed for battle mode, along with several modes to boot. These include the standard balloon mode (but not elimination, boo), shine sprite, coin runners, and new modes like a cops and robbers battle. And the whole thing is entirely playable online! Of the eight maps, five are brand new, and the remaining three are retro courses: Luigi's Mansion (Double Dash), Battle Course 1 (Super Mario Kart), and Wuhu Town (Mario Kart 7).

And new racers! New characters include:
Dry Bones
King Boo
Bowser Jr.
Inkling Girl
Inkling Boy
Gold Mario (unlockable)

There are also smaller changes, like the addition of the Boo and Feather items, although Feather is limited to battle mode to prevent breaking some tracks. There's a third level of boosting, for those extra long turns, but this comes at the loss of some technique called "fire hopping" so feel free to argue over that. Features for newer/younger players have been added, such as auto-accelerate and steering assistance, the latter of which will keep you on the track but takes turns very wide so watch out. Also the new level of turbo is disabled if those features are turned on, but it's nice for beginners.

FAQ

What's the battery life?
Early reports suggest three hours.

Are motion controls back?
Just about every control option allows for this, although if you want to spend money on a wheel that seems to be single joycon only. You should be able to also steer using the Switch itself when in handheld mode, but I can't confirm.

Is Mario Kart TV back?
It seems to be, although I have no idea what the uploading functionality will be like for clips.

Is online free?
Online play is free until Nintendo rolls out the paid service later this fall. From what I've seen, it is almost exactly like the Wii U but with minor quality of life improvements (changing character/kart without leaving the lobby).

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Well this was a bit unexpected. Can't wait for more Mario Kart.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Do we know the stats of the new characters yet?

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    rob0tman5rob0tman5 PC Gamer/Console Gamer CanadaRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to this!

NintendoSwitch Friend Code: 4016-9569-1601
    Discord:robotman5#0541
    Let me know if you added me!
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I think I'm gonna take this opportunity and learn how to drive inside-drifting bikes this time. Never really bothered with them in the Wii U version.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Think everyone will gravitate toward heavy chars in bikes in online? I loved online but I didn't like seeing that kind of trend (in any game)

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      RamiRami Registered User regular
      Without fire hopping heavies shouldn't automatically be the best?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
      sig.gif
    • Options
      MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Think everyone will gravitate toward heavy chars in bikes in online? I loved online but I didn't like seeing that kind of trend (in any game)
      Most likely. Without fire hopping, I think the inside drift bikes have the advantage over karts. It's a closer match than bike vs fire hopping kart though.

• Options
      AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      The Mercedes DLC is included in MK8D, by the way. Not sure if that makes a difference for anyone, but there you go.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Options
      Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      Hah! UK pre-orders get an official Luigi Death Stare shirt.

B69620DD-D9F0-4DBB-AB4A-5BF201879F14_zpsmeixcrdr.png

MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      The Mercedes DLC is included in MK8D, by the way. Not sure if that makes a difference for anyone, but there you go.

One of those cars had great engine noises

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
        Hah! UK pre-orders get an official Luigi Death Stare shirt.

B69620DD-D9F0-4DBB-AB4A-5BF201879F14_zpsmeixcrdr.png

Fucking hell i need this so bad.

• Options
        LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
        edited April 2017
        LBD_Nytetrayn on
        qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
        Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
      • Options
        HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
        Why the hell is there a self-driving mode?

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
      • Options
        ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
        edited April 2017

Little kids playing with older folks.

Same reason a bowling alley has gutter bumpers.

ThePantsAssociation on
      • Options

Same reason a bowling alley has gutter bumpers.

I can't fault that logic. Just seems so random and out of place given the nature of Mario Kart. I don't recall this ever being a feature in previous Karts but maybe someone can correct me if I am mistaken.

• Options
        IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
        That mode seems pretty great. I wish it had been around when my kids were younger.

steam_sig.png
        Nintendo ID: Incindium
        PSN: IncindiumX
      • Options
        MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
        edited April 2017
        It's not so much self driving as auto holding the A button and auto edge avoidance. There's no drifting or item use. The rubber banding is such that the CPU probably saw how terrible the driver was and scaled back the AI. A few lucky breaks and tada winner!

Mblackwell on
        Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
        I think that mode is pretty awesome. It clearly isn't going to win against much, but it can allow kids who can't really control the game yet to feel like they are playing.

However, the whole concept of "luigi wins by doing nothing" is getting a few lucky breaks :D

• Options
        I like it too. It allows kids to enjoy the concept of racing and items without needing the skill to navigate the tracks.

Hell, I'll need it for Neo Bowser City in 200cc.

• Options
        AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
        It's basically training wheels. No big deal. It's not going to give anyone a competitive edge or anything.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
      • Options
        Until some random person figures out a way to somehow get a competitive edge with it.

Or at least, they will TRY.

Or maybe there will just be a speedrun category of "auto mario kart only"

• Options
        Nothing huge or surprising, but looks like you can use the Switch touchscreen to navigate menus in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KenJp9woEA

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • Options
        VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
        I can't wait to be playing this again

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
      • Options
        StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
        Kai_San wrote: »
        Until some random person figures out a way to somehow get a competitive edge with it.

Or at least, they will TRY.

Or maybe there will just be a speedrun category of "auto mario kart only"
        If it's a problem in "competitive play" (seriously?) then people can require it off. It's very obvious when you have it on, since the game sticks an antenna to your kart/bike and it'll glow yellow whenever it's steering for you. It also disables the new third boost level, so I imagine players won't be using it once they figure out the optimal route for time trials.

YL9WnCY.png
      • Options
        LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I saw someone mention that it's sort of nice since you can't map acceleration to a shoulder trigger like --if I'm not mistaken-- just about every other modern racing/driving game today.

The downside, of course, being the general lack of control.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
        Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
      • Options
        Can we just leave auto-pilot running and collect the 10k coins we need to unlock everything again while we sleep?

Am...am I terrible for thinking of this?

• Options
        StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
        edited April 2017
        Can we just leave auto-pilot running and collect the 10k coins we need to unlock everything again while we sleep?

Am...am I terrible for thinking of this?
        Problem 1: you need inputs to progress to new races. It accelerates and prevents you from going off-track. It doesn't navigate menus for you.

Problem 2: In the above video, Luigi got a whopping ONE coin. It would probably take months at best.

Sterica on
        YL9WnCY.png
      • Options
        Good luck trying to play 4 player undocked

mario-kart-8-deluxe-undocked-split-screen.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • Options
        a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
        I mean, good on Nintendo for letting you do it at least.

Number One Tricky
      • Options
        McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
        Yeah, I thought I'd seen it was only up to 2 players when it wasn't docked, doesn't hurt to have the option for more if you want to inflict it on yourself.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
        PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
      • Options
        edited April 2017
        In the Wii U version, whenever I was in first and grabbed a banana or shell, I never used it. I held onto it for defensive purposes.

With the new item system, I hope that changes. I missed laying bananas and throwing back shells with the careful consideration of a super villain.

MiserableMirth on
      • Options
        Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
        edited April 2017
        skeldare wrote: »

I've been playing Fast RMX in 4 player splitscreen. It's not ideal, but it works and if it works for that game it will work for mario kart.

Granted everyone had to basically compete to stick their faces in front of the screen, but still.

This is probably more suited for the Switch thread, but I wouldn't mind if they made a Switch + that sacrificed its portability/docking capability for a larger screen and better tabletop mode features.

Handsome Costanza on
        Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
        Resident 8bitdo expert.
        Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
      • Options
        Can't you just have 2 switches each with split screen too?

I mean obviously the purpose is to go back to the oldschool way, but I figure if its an option it would not be a completely unlikely scenario.

• Options
        RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
        I preordered this game last month. MK8 was one of the reasons I bought a Wii U, that and Splatoon.

I'm so happy I'm getting to play it again, seeing as I sold my U on ebay a while back in preperation for the Switch.

It's also in 1080p instead of 720 this time. Good thing I upgraded my TV.

oHw5R0V.jpg
      • Options
        Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
        skeldare wrote: »

The very first TV I had, the one which I hooked my SNES up to, wasn't a whole lot bigger than the Switch. I could probably deal with this.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
      • Options
        BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular

Praise be!

It's pretty annoying when a nephew wants to "play" and decides to constantly turn around and go backwards when he isn't winning until Lakitu says nope, which inevitably results in him throwing a tantrum. Or a niece that always wants to play but then decides to just go do other shit (usually in less time than it takes to finish one course).

And for some reason MK8 doesn't just end the race after a certain amount of time has elapsed, the players who were actually racing have to grab the controllers (by force if necessary) and finish the course to proceed to the next one.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
      • Options
        The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
        I'm vibrating in my seat with anticipation.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
      • Options
        VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
        Roe wrote: »
        I preordered this game last month. MK8 was one of the reasons I bought a Wii U, that and Splatoon.

I'm so happy I'm getting to play it again, seeing as I sold my U on ebay a while back in preperation for the Switch.

It's also in 1080p instead of 720 this time. Good thing I upgraded my TV.

I'm the exact same spot! haven't been able to play Kart with my buddy since the day the switch launched and I traded in my wii u. it's been awful! haha. we played it together at least once a week even up to the days before the switch dropped so needless to say we are VERY excited.

only thing I still need to do is I want to buy a second dock for his house so I don't have to move mine and I should get a second controller asap. I know we can split the joycon but ultimately that's not what I want to be doing.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
      • Options
        BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
        Comparison video of the new level 3 purple spark mini turbo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQsNwgMNi4M

Doesn't seem that drastic of a boost to me, but wondering how the online will shake out with this and fire hopping gone.

• Options
        Comparison video of the new level 3 purple spark mini turbo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQsNwgMNi4M

Doesn't seem that drastic of a boost to me, but wondering how the online will shake out with this and fire hopping gone.

Oh that's huge for online. When you start mixing in jumps, drafting, mushrooms, etc. That's quite a bit of extra boost that can really make a difference.

I suspect we'll be seeing a few new areas we can get through without mushrooms now as well.