Options

RMS still has Undertale Emotions [Chat]

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Yeah I don't know how to feel on this whole NK thing just yet

I definitely don't want Mango Mussolini leading the response, but we have to do something, right?

Right?

I mean, I know the border with China is a problem, but even if literally every NK resident fled into China it would raise their population by about 1.5%
    Point of order:

Mango Mussolini is an awesome name, it's the first time I've heard it and that is fantastic, which is where my awesome is going, and I will continue to use it in the future it is by far my favorite.

Not the problem with NK and China, that's a terrifying problem to have the Mango Mussolini in charge of.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    1h 15m until bids come in

*vibrates*
    @porp pegging you again?

Gotta pass the time somehow.

no just my job this time

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    John Oliver has reached the point for me where his onscreen character is too smug and I no longer want to believe or listen to him.

Oh for the bemused frustration of Jon Stewart...

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    TL DR wrote: »
    Saying Trump is mentally disordered is an insult to people struggling with mental health. He's just a fucking asshole. You don't need to qualify it or slap a DSM label on it.

He's not stupid, he's privileged, and aware of his ability to use it as a bludgeon.

You can be both, and I don't think there's a clear line where you can say "this guy has maladaptive and harmful patterns of behavior but is just an asshole" while this guy is diagnosible.

Clinically-Significant Asshole is a spectrum.

I think that misses the point.

He might be 'clearly diagnosible' but assholish behavior shouldn't be blamed on or excused by mental illness.

Donald Trump is a corrupt, racist, and sexist fascist who it now somehow in the Oval Office. You shouldn't blame any of those things on mental illness.

tbf I suspect tilder thinks there's no real material difference between a mentally ill asshole and a non-mentally ill asshole except what other mentally-ill things present.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    John Oliver has reached the point for me where his onscreen character is too smug and I no longer want to believe or listen to him.

Nah, that's just his resting english face.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    "Mental illness" and "disability" are not the same thing, though

From my clinical experience, I definitely believe Trump is mentally ill and could easily be diagnosed with things like narcissism and a malignant inferiority complex; I do not, however, see a lot of evidence for a disease process like dementia or Alzheimer's.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    If you haven't seen John Oliver's recent episode on Jared and Ivanka, and the public perception of their moderating influences being largely imaginary, I'd recommend checking it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD8AwgO0AQI

Every strongman needs children with pet causes for good PR regardless of how little those pet causes ever mean in reality because they always have to be subordinated completely to the strongman.

In this case Ivanka's article in the Financial Times talks about the importance of the World Bank's work while Trump wants to cut funding to the World Bank.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I definitely don't want Mango Mussolini leading the response, but we have to do something, right?

Right?

I mean, I know the border with China is a problem, but even if literally every NK resident fled into China it would raise their population by about 1.5%

We probably should've done something 20 years ago.

We can't really ignore them and let the problem go away because once they start starving they'll get desperate.

But we also can't really just drop bombs on Pyongyang either.

Unless the whole peninsula is irradiated, North Koreans aren't going to leave North Korea.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Senators to all meet with WH today on NK

Of all the things this freaks me out. This reads to me like the WH trying to build support for an authorization for the use of force/declaration of war.

Like seriously this freaks me out.

What's the .mil thought process on ripping the band aid off now versus kicking the can down the road? It doesn't look like Kim is getting internally deposed anytime soon, much as China is irritated with the killing of the brother.

How much do you like Seoul and Nagasaki?

Because pretty much ripping off this band aid will destroy the Seoul, the South Korean Economy, and probably lead to another Japanese city either being nuked or attempted to be nuked.

On top of crushing China with a massive refuge problem and probably fucking them hard.

And thus a lot of the world.

There isn't really a reason to fight NK.

No way to Iron Dome Seoul, and THAAD or SM-6s to cover Japan?

The assumption wasn't just the band aid, it was also the kicking the can down the road- i.e. that Kim is internally secure, Seoul is only becoming more populous and NKs missile tech is only getting better.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

From my clinical experience, I definitely believe Trump is mentally ill and could easily be diagnosed with things like narcissism and a malignant inferiority complex; I do not, however, see a lot of evidence for a disease process like dementia or Alzheimer's.

You'd need to be in his day to day life to really make that kind of diagnosis.

He appears to be super forgetful and prone to aggression so maybe. But that could just be "bitter old asshole" syndrome too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    wait did he seriously say "sex" when asked what his daughter and he have in common?

... that's ... weird?

but not something I didn't already expect I guess?

Yes. On national tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0_axTST2aY

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I can watch him fine, but I preferred to listen to him and Zaktzman playing off each other on their podcast.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Smug isn't a way I hear him described often

And his segments are very informative!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Eddy wrote: »

Right?

imo the rationale for anything NK-related in the Trump administration is wagging the dog in that classic ultranationalist maneuver to ignore the myriad problems both domestic and foreign, many of which are created or exacerbated by the GOP's utter incompetence and malice

I do not believe that there is a more plausible rationale for why this is happening given what we know about the Trump administration and their complete idiocy and stupid petty vindictiveness about overturning established US foreign policy in re: NK. Trump's stupid fucking idiocy, and his stupid fucking ego, and his stupid fucking party want to shoot some missiles because they don't know how to do anything diplomatically except kill non-whites

and he will spin it as america first and the roving idiots who can't put nk on a map will herald as america standing up to fascism

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am phone posting atm but I can do a longer write up on NK later. We have been doing stuff for a while including Clinton bombing their processing center in the late 90's.

Outside burning our allies and invading you can only do so much to a sovereign nation.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Narcissistic Personality Disorder for the block.
    1) No Empathy
    2) No Remorse
    3) Entitled
    4) Deceptive
    5) Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde
    6) Emotionally Dependent
    7) Uses Battering for Control

Checks all around.

• Options
    I mean..

Ivanka is pretty attractive and looks like a more put together version of her mother.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    PLA wrote: »
    I don't think Magicians is what Lud wanted.

Poor Lud. His only hope is MTV.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2017
    I really like what John Oliver does, but I wish he would take his repetitive-shouty punchline delivery down to once or twice an episode as opposed to every 3-5 minutes.

No, ITS NOT OKAY. NOT OKAY. NO.

#notokay

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Trump is an old, white guy who watches way too much Fox News. Everything he does makes sense to me given that without the need for mental illness to explain anything.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    I don't think Magicians is what Lud wanted.

Poor Lud. His only hope is MTV.
    MTV is the hero we deserve.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    What I really enjoyed from Jon Oliver was the interviews he did with mostly unsuspecting people.

The segment on the World Cup he did for the Daily Show was fantastic.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Of all the things this freaks me out. This reads to me like the WH trying to build support for an authorization for the use of force/declaration of war.

What's the .mil thought process on ripping the band aid off now versus kicking the can down the road? It doesn't look like Kim is getting internally deposed anytime soon, much as China is irritated with the killing of the brother.

Because pretty much ripping off this band aid will destroy the Seoul, the South Korean Economy, and probably lead to another Japanese city either being nuked or attempted to be nuked.

On top of crushing China with a massive refuge problem and probably fucking them hard.

The assumption wasn't just the band aid, it was also the kicking the can down the road- i.e. that Kim is internally secure, Seoul is only becoming more populous and NKs missile tech is only getting better.

Seoul is 50 miles from NK. It isn't missiles that will burn it. Old school arty is all you need.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Right?

We have zero credibility and NK is acting rationally if you consider that they're surrounded by belligerent countries.

There's an argument to be made that they would have done better to just roll over at the end of the Korean War and hoped for the best, but if you decide not to do that then you're basically looking at NK's current situation - extremely insular country with massive military spending and zero tolerance for dissent.

• Options
    I mean..

Ivanka is pretty attractive and looks like a more put together version of her mother.

Yeah, but we're not her father. Or saying that right beside her on national tv.

• Options

He appears to be super forgetful and prone to aggression so maybe. But that could just be "bitter old asshole" syndrome too.

Narcissists aren't forgetful so much as they are constantly looking for something to brag about, even if that means contradicting something else they've touted. Narcissists live out a fantasy everyday where they're the best and the greatest and most fantastic--believe me--and will reinforce that reality with bullying and inconsistency, if needed.

• Options
    I feel like defaulting to "you're mentally ill" also removes a lot of the terribleness of what he's doing too. He should be culpable for his actions, but if we start pretending he's broken a lot of people will find a reason to excuse him.

But something does feel off from your typical broken GOP president.

But it feels perfectly in character for trump 100% still.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    wait did he seriously say "sex" when asked what his daughter and he have in common?

... that's ... weird?

It's a whole thing.

I'm really uncomfortable right now.

And I don't think it's just my farts.

President of the United States Donald Trump is on the record multiple times about how much he wants to fuck his daughter, Bowen.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I forget who here recomended Magicians.

But thank you. I'm now all caught up and sad the season is over.

It was a really good show to watch with the lady.

Just some fun and magic and pretty people and Elliot is da bes <3

• Options
    edited April 2017

Narcissists aren't forgetful so much as they are constantly looking for something to brag about, even if that means contradicting something else they've touted. Narcissists live out a fantasy everyday where they're the best and the greatest and most fantastic--believe me--and will reinforce that reality with bullying and inconsistency, if needed.

I thought he has walked out of multiple meetings/signings because he forgot why he was there/didn't want to be there (frustrated for being called out)?

bowen on
  • Options

Right?

We have zero credibility and NK is acting rationally if you consider that they're surrounded by belligerent countries.

There's an argument to be made that they would have done better to just roll over at the end of the Korean War and hoped for the best, but if you decide not to do that then you're basically looking at NK's current situation - extremely insular country with massive military spending and zero tolerance for dissent.

Lots of countries are surrounded by hostile rivals, what they don't do is turn into cultist hell holes that make Russia look positively utopian.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

That gets into MAD game theory

if NK thinks that they'll no longer hold the Sword of Damocles over Seoul, and ergo that there's nothing backing up their threats against SK/US, they have incentive to pull the trigger while they still can.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Narcissistic Personality Disorder for the block.
    1) No Empathy
    2) No Remorse
    3) Entitled
    4) Deceptive
    5) Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde
    6) Emotionally Dependent
    7) Uses Battering for Control

Checks all around.

Agreed.

Narcissists are kinda like jet-fueled sociopaths, except instead of having no concern for human empathy, they want a very one-sided relationship with affection.

• Options
    My dad is a lot like Donald Trump, I've realized

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Seoul is 50 miles from NK. It isn't missiles that will burn it. Old school arty is all you need.

I'm aware of that, Mazzyx. Why would you think I'm not aware of the geography, of all things, when I specifically mentioned Iron Dome, i.e. anti-mortar and artillery.

Ed: my question was whether ID or whatever laser systems we have now could obviate the artillery threat to Seoul. ID supposedly is anti-artillery, but to my knowledge has just been intercepting Grad rockets so far.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

... that's ... weird?

It's a whole thing.

President of the United States Donald Trump is on the record multiple times about how much he wants to fuck his daughter, Bowen.

Finally, we found it. Common ground.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I mean..

Yeah, but we're not her father. Or saying that right beside her on national tv.

When you're from the deep waters of Arkansas like these humble GOP folks... oh wait they're not from the deep south never mind.

• Options

I thought he has walked out of multiple meetings/signings because he forgot why he was there/didn't want to be there (frustrated for being called out)?

I'd chalk that up mostly to his long history of absolutely not giving a shit about anything and being thin-skinned.

• Options

... that's ... weird?

It's a whole thing.

I didn't know Bowen was Ivanka Trump.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump is an old, white guy who watches way too much Fox News. Everything he does makes sense to me given that without the need for mental illness to explain anything.

I'd argue that Fox News Neurosis is a modern-day thing that happens, primarly to old white people.

This discussion has been closed.