As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help with finding a place to live (KCMO)

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited April 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently was offered a job in Kansas City. Problem is it's 60 miles away (anywhere from 2 to 60x my current commute, depending). I know this means moving will be necessary in the future. Problem is right now my rent is really low ($225/mo) and I doubt anything in KC would come close.

So my question is, what's a good way to find something closer with the rent not being super insane? If I could find something below $700/mo would be great.

I'd really prefer to not have a roommate, though that may be impossible.

Magus` on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    padmapper might help, you can put a range and look in an area and you'll get craigslist and apartment website hits that match

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NijaNija Registered User regular
    I had decent results from zillow.com and westsiderentals (which was purchased and merged into apartments.com)

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    padmapper might help, you can put a range and look in an area and you'll get craigslist and apartment website hits that match

Also you can draw a shape (like, I don't want to have to cross these highways) and get results.

Example

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • finralfinral Registered User regular
    What part of KC is your job in? That can influence things. If you don't mind studio or small apartments, there are should be ones below 700 a month in central KC. Note that the housing market here is super hot, and that has raised both buyer and rental prices.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I was renting a 1 bedroom house right next door to KU Hospital for $505 a month. There were a lot of sub $600 apartments in that area, as well. I found it on craigslist, which is where I've found every rental I've ever lived in. I searched for Kansas City and Google Fiber and limited it to places under $650.

Burtletoy on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    finral wrote: »
    What part of KC is your job in? That can influence things. If you don't mind studio or small apartments, there are should be ones below 700 a month in central KC. Note that the housing market here is super hot, and that has raised both buyer and rental prices.

Uh.. address is 821 Admiral Boulevard. I don't know where that is in terms of up/down/central town.