As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prey

-Tal-Tal Registered User regular
rbgc9v892nl5.jpg

Prey tells the story of Tommy, a Cherokee garage mechanic stuck on a reservation going nowhere. Abducted along with his people to a menacing mothership orbiting Earth, he sets out to save himself and his girlfriend and eventually his planet.

In Prey, players enter a living spaceship which enslaves alien races and devours humans for lunch. A unique twist on the first person shooter genre, Prey features such innovations as the ability to walk on walls, manipulate gravity and perform a "spirit walk" by leaving your physical body behind. Designed by Human Head (under the direction of 3D Realms), Prey features full online support for up to eight players, utilizing the game's play innovations for unique multiplayer experiences.

PNk1Ml4.png

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Can we talk about the new, unrelated game that bears the same name here?

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    no

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I remember enjoying this game.

Bet it is harder to go back to than doom 3.

I remember playing the demo but I couldn't afford to buy the full game at the time.

Kinda want a remaster now

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    is it even still possible to purchase the 2006 game anymore?

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Can we talk about the scrapped sequel that had Tommy becoming a bounty hunter in Blade Runner-esque alien mega-city?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Can we talk about the scrapped sequel that had Tommy becoming a bounty hunter in Blade Runner-esque alien mega-city?

no that's prey 2, the second game to bear the prey title

liEt3nH.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    You mean the second scrapped sequel of course, after the first scrapped sequel by radar group

PNk1Ml4.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Well, prey do tend to get eaten.

edited April 2017
    I liked the new game demo. someone on here described it as a combination of Bioshock meets Half-life. I may buy it, though probably not on release.

probably

Devlin_Dragonus on

You can just call it system shock 3

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    dangit i was hoping this thread was about dinner

broken image link
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I could've sworn this game already came out several years ago.

or... wait are there two?

Is the new one a remake?

RT800 on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I could've sworn this game already came out several years ago.

or... wait are there two?

Is the new one a remake?

The new one is a sequel. Not related to the first game in any way. And it has the same name as the first game. So who the fuck really knows?

The trailers do make it look pretty cool though, but I kinda wanted another Prey game to do more with the wall-walking and gravity changing and portals and tiny worlds and stuff from the first one. That shit was wizard and I wanted more

JtgVX0H.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Best use of Don't Fear the Reaper

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    the new prey is not related in any way to the original prey, the subject of this thread

effectively, bethesda put a dormant license on a new ip to drum up interest

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    the new prey is not related in any way to the original prey, the subject of this thread

effectively, bethesda put a dormant license on a new ip to drum up interest

Also cause Prey is a really good 1 syllable name.

Also you are Prey to a monster stalking you in the game.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Best use of Don't Fear the Reaper Art Bell

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    God dammit, Raijin. Who made you like this?

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    So, I've heard there was a new game named Prey, but knew nothing about it outside of that.

You're telling me it has nothing to do with the original game? That's... odd.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I remember the screenshots that came on the disc with Duke Nukem 3D. I wanted that game so bad. The portal tech for that time was pretty mind-blowing.

The actual released game seemed ... watered down? Like they had this tech that did cool scaling and whatnot and they had like no good ideas for it. "Hey, go shrink down and run on this orb where some other shrunken enemies will attack you. Why? The fuck do you mean, 'why?' Cuz it looks baller! Now go!"

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    don't forget about the prequel, Eat, and the sequel, Love

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    GOOD POST DUBH.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    You can, for the XB360: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Prey/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802545407e0

It might even work on the XB1, as a BC title, at some point.

I'm sure it was on Steam (IIRC?), but looks to have been taken down at some point?

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    So is Alex Lance Henriksen trying to do an accent? Was getting Admiral Hackett vibes when he spoke, but I'm probably crazy.

Zilla360 wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    You can, for the XB360: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Prey/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802545407e0

It might even work on the XB1, as a BC title, at some point.

I'm sure it was on Steam (IIRC?), but looks to have been taken down at some point?

They stopped making keys for it not too long after it released. If you can find a new, unopened copy of the PC game on Amazon or somewhere else, you can redeem the key on Steam. That's how I got my copy of the game, anyway.

And @Fawst I kinda agree. Like, they introduce this cool stuff and use it like once or twice throughout the game but not nearly as often as I would have liked. I'd have liked them to combine more of those sorts of things too, like take the mini planets and gravity switching and portals and make some cool puzzles and set pieces with em, ya know?

JtgVX0H.png
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Exactly, they just felt like tech demos that got put into the game just because.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I still wear the shirt I got at pax years ago for Prey 2.

The trailer they were showing for that back then was hot as heck.

8406wWN.png
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Prey is my favorite Turok mod

I refuse to believe they're not going to put in SOME kind of oblique reference to tommy just to get the nerds like me going and writing clickbait articles about how they're secretl connected I mean come on

PNk1Ml4.png
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

no that's prey 2, the second game to bear the prey title

I still want this game so badly

I'm sorry for going off-topic, this won't happen again

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I tried the new demo and was not impressed by the monsters

Every time the "OHMYGODSCARYMUSICSTINGLOOKATTHECREEPYTHING" music happened I was looking in totally the wrong direction so it always led to a few seconds of spinning around before I saw the thing waving at me

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhJyLIwHlvA

I think the original premise was that you were a dude who was on the airplane that got obducted you see in the first game but somehow turn into Starlord.

bombardier wrote: »

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhJyLIwHlvA

I think the original premise was that you were a dude who was on the airplane that got obducted you see in the first game but somehow turn into Starlord.

The plane showing up in the first one was a really cool "holy shit!" moment.

JtgVX0H.png
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    That's still one of the best game concepts of probably the last decade, and the idea of an abducted US Marshall becoming a space bounty hunter is pretty fun. I'm amazed we still don't know the behind the scenes story about it, or why we got generic evil science corporation gone wrong in it's place.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Every time the "OHMYGODSCARYMUSICSTINGLOOKATTHECREEPYTHING" music happened I was looking in totally the wrong direction so it always led to a few seconds of spinning around before I saw the thing waving at me

yeah they definitely need to fix those musical cues

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126

yea that was my same experience, but kinda liked it in how unexpected and can get you anywhere.
    -Tal wrote: »
    I refuse to believe they're not going to put in SOME kind of oblique reference to tommy just to get the nerds like me going and writing clickbait articles about how they're secretl connected I mean come on

I kinda doubt it, since after playing the demo

spoiler
    Since the new Prey is an alternate or parallel world where Kennedy survived and had a second term. humanity had better luck with space flight due to working with soviets.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I tried the new Prey demo at the behest of my friend this Friday and honestly didn't care for it much, but I think that just comes down to me not liking those types of games (Deus Ex falls into the same category for me). The throbbing music got a little much and I never felt like I had a good handle on combat. Didn't feel tight enough.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I tried the new Prey demo at the behest of my friend this Friday and honestly didn't care for it much, but I think that just comes down to me not liking those types of games (Deus Ex falls into the same category for me). The throbbing music got a little much and I never felt like I had a good handle on combat. Didn't feel tight enough.

I don't think it looks like Deus Ex from the playthrough I saw, if anything it looked too much like Bioshock, picking up lots of random crap to turn into other random crap and plasmids.