As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    They've made immense balance improvements with talent tier placement. It's not perfect, but you'll probably find it less frustratingly bad now.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    High praise indeed from Ardent.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    They've made immense balance improvements with talent tier placement. It's not perfect, but you'll probably find it less frustratingly bad now.

The free range nature definitely helps for that. There aren't specializations built around what should be a high level talent anymore, so they can value all of them accurately. It also removes all the silly hoops they tried to use to balance, say, Marauders, where they made you run figure 8s around the talent map to slow down your progress toward punchgod.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Yeah, the convoluted nature of Careers as both stopgate and platform meant they were always going to look silly.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    I wound up ordering Genesys from Miniature Market even though I still haven't played any of my starter sets for Star Wars yet. I figure if I have the materials, eventually I'll play it.

I mean, that hasn't worked out for any of the other RPGs on my shelf but you never know.

Every single person in this thread has said "yes but this time it will be different" as they clicked "Confirm Payment" and bought a new rule set despite their library of unplayed games

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I wound up ordering Genesys from Miniature Market even though I still haven't played any of my starter sets for Star Wars yet. I figure if I have the materials, eventually I'll play it.

I mean, that hasn't worked out for any of the other RPGs on my shelf but you never know.

Every single person in this thread has said "yes but this time it will be different" as they clicked "Confirm Payment" and bought a new rule set despite their library of unplayed games

But with Genesys you can homebrew! It's like adding 10 games you will never play instead of just one!

• Options

To be fair, I've bought a lot of RPGs without the intention of ever playing them. Sometimes I like to see some unique game mechanic or narrative. Sometimes I just really like the pictures. I got the opportunity at PAX Unplugged to chat with Mike Fehlauer for a bit of time and on his recommendation (and a lucky end-of-con sale) bought the whole line of A Song of Ice and Fire RPG just to see why the combat system impressed him so much.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

But I'm totally gonna run this! My group says that I won't last two months of running 5e!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

But I'm totally gonna run this! My group says that I won't last two months of running 5e!

They're giving you two months? I'll be a bit surprised if you make it through two sessions before the inevitable "Fuck it, this is now a Dresden Files game" happens.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

They're giving you two months? I'll be a bit surprised if you make it through two sessions before the inevitable "Fuck it, this is now a Dresden Files game" happens.
    That's my secret. I'm always running Dresden Files.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular

To be fair, I've bought a lot of RPGs without the intention of ever playing them. Sometimes I like to see some unique game mechanic or narrative. Sometimes I just really like the pictures. I got the opportunity at PAX Unplugged to chat with Mike Fehlauer for a bit of time and on his recommendation (and a lucky end-of-con sale) bought the whole line of A Song of Ice and Fire RPG just to see why the combat system impressed him so much.

That's actually a pretty cool story, and I'd probably buy all of the books to see how the house management interacts with the game.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    I've played about 75% of the RPGs I own.

I play less than 5% of them on a regular basis.

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    my numbers line up with ardent's

my view has always been even if I don't think I can get the game on the table, if I would play it I should slide some dosh that way because it keeps the industry healthy

• Options
    I will 100% buy a game I know I will never play if I like the art or find the mechanics worth ripping out and trying somewhere else.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I have even played some games I never actually bought for myself, mooching the shit out of manuals.

In my defense, finding Exalted books in Spain was harder than finding a NES Classic in Christmas season.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Man i miss having the disposable income to buy games I'm never gunna play. The "fate of the norns: ragnarok" basic book was the last time i got to buy a system book for a system i knew i wouldn't get to play much if ever. Its entire resolution system was fuckin awesome.

Sleep on
  • Options

That's my secret. I'm always running Dresden Files.

Hey, you know what would probably run pretty well in Genesys?

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I was not expecting Genesys to be $40. That was a relief to my wallet.

At GenCon, they said they'll have setting books eventually. Terrinoth (Rune Wars), Twilight Imperium, and Android were all cited. You already have the Worlds of Android book to build from.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I should probably run some games locally. It's hard convincing people that it is really fun because of the special dice! *sigh* I have that lift ahead of me with L5R as well.

... which would be easier if FFG would just put out a generic dice rolling app! Grr.. you have so many games with custom dice...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    my FLGS was sold out :( Is there a generic fantasy setting that's part of the book, or do they just give suggestions on how to stat fantasy races and leave the rest up to you?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options

That's actually a pretty cool story, and I'd probably buy all of the books to see how the house management interacts with the game.

I saw him and some of the other Lone Shark game devs wandering the floor in the final hours, so I pretty much cornered him. I remember from the PATV show that he's a big HEMA enthusiast so we chatted for a bit about simulation and realism in games. I'd say that was my highlight of the show but Unplugged was so awesome that I've got a few other experiences that are all competing for that slot. Seriously, I thought it was better than Gencon.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    my FLGS was sold out :( Is there a generic fantasy setting that's part of the book, or do they just give suggestions on how to stat fantasy races and leave the rest up to you?

They basically talk about a fantasy setting, then present you with the runebound universe with a few examples.

• Options
    It's interesting. In a lot of ways, the new system without specialization limitations lets you do some things that would have been very tough as a starting character in Star Wars.

Specifically, I'm looking at the Fantasy stuff right now for reasons that I assure you are completely unrelated to @jdarksun and any bets about his D&D tolerance.

A starting human could buy 1 rank of Second Wind, 2 ranks of Defensive Stance, and then 2 ranks of Defensive to start the game (assuming default wealth availability) with a melee defense of 4 (Defensive x2, Weapon Defensive 1 and Heavy Robes) and two challenge dice to be hit hand-to-hand if they're willing to spend some strain. And there's still a handful of XP left for other customization stuff. It's not a perfect defense, but it's definitely not the "just assume you'll take the hit" of EotE.

• Options
    Yeah but I think fantasy is supposed to be more forgiving than Star Wars. Outside of characters with plot immunity anyone caught in a bad defensive position is generally just mowed down.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    And in fantasy games, you expect to get into fights against people who can take a hit. In Star Wars, one blaster shot normally wreaks you.

• Options
    That build isn't really confined to the fantasy stuff, though.

The only thing you lose switching it to a gunslinger with sidestep is one point of defense from the weapon.

In general, I think combat is probably more forgiving than star wars if you're built for it.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    How is genesys on non-combat stuff?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    If it is like Star wars then it is really a non combat system that handles combat with the same methods.

It produces three dimensional results with success, advantage and narrative shifts being separate "axis" of resolution.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    How is genesys on non-combat stuff?

The same as it is on combat. It works just the same.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    What's the ratio of non-combat to combat skills? How many pages of the rulebook covers non-combat vs how many pages cover combat?

I find most RPGs have way over-elaborate combat rules and way under-elaborate non-combat rules. If I wanted to play a small-scale combat game I'd be playing Frostgrave or something :P

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Any tips on hosting Dread for one person? It's the only RPG my girlfriend has gotten excited about and she wants to play an 80s slasher flick.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    What's the ratio of non-combat to combat skills? How many pages of the rulebook covers non-combat vs how many pages cover combat?

I find most RPGs have way over-elaborate combat rules and way under-elaborate non-combat rules. If I wanted to play a small-scale combat game I'd be playing Frostgrave or something :P

Speaking from the Star Wars books: Noncombat generally works the same as combat. In Star Wars combat gets detailed more in the core rules and because it is harder to give detailed rules for every non combat situation (examples are provided for each skill, though). Almost every sourcebook has a few pages of noncombat rules that fit that book's theme.

Star Wars (and I assume Genesys) has abstracted combat. You have a relative position to other participants (engaged, short, medium, etc) but not a specific position so there is not a detailed tactical combat map, and most of the situations that, say, Pathfinder has to cover in detail (grappling) are covered by rolling advantages during a check or using talents.

• Options

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/StarWarsRPG/force-and-destiny/support/Force-and-Destiny-Character-Sheet.pdf

They're even happily labeled by types you requested!

Generally the complicated bit of combat is the chart that talks about how to spend advantages/threats/triumphs/despairs. I think vehicle/chase rules might be a little more complicated to represent the different types and scales of ships but that wasn't my bag so I could easily ignore it.

What I can say if I know I was part of a two man scene where me and my pilot were desperately trying to fly a damaged and barely working to begin with techno-organic ship away from a squadron of pursuing fighters and my hasty jury rigging using technical skills was about the same time of resolution as our pilot trying to somehow get us not blown up. So I wasn't experiencing the "Decker" problem of Shadowrun.

• Options
    Genesys combat an non-combat stuff is essentially the same. Build pool out of good and bad dice, roll them, count results. There are more mandatory mechanical beats in a "structured time" (usually combat) scenario, but otherwise you get the same success/fail with good/bad side effects and maybe something reedonkulous outcome spectrum both in and out of combat.

They did a pretty good job of modeling the Star Wars action scenes of I'll take out these stormtroopers while you hack the bridge good job with that panel explosion that was great holy shit here comes Vader can you make that jump if I help kind of cinematic stuff. Most enemies (and PCs if we're being honest) go down pretty fast if they're hit, and non-attack actions can funnel good stuff toward the fighters (and vice versa) seamlessly without the droid actually looking up from the docking bay control panel.

In non-action scenes, you've still got the same three dimensional resolution system and a pretty robust collection of tools to model getting flustered because of an argument or impressing a local politico even if you failed to convince the queen to fund your expedition or whatever.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'm not willing (at this time) to put in the hustle necessary to get my hands on a Genesys book. I'll wait for the next printing...

Anyone know when they're doing another print run?

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I'm not willing (at this time) to put in the hustle necessary to get my hands on a Genesys book. I'll wait for the next printing...

Anyone know when they're doing another print run?

I seem to recall that FFG uses printers based in China. So at least a month, transit time dock to dock is around 25ish days. That's with no time given for them to print enough to be worth shipping via container though. How long it actually takes to print the stuff I don't know but I'd expect their printer to have some lead time in their schedule as well.

Random ballpark? Two months.

• Options
    Sounds intriguing. I did run the Force and Destiny starter with some friends, so I'm somewhat familiar with the system.

But the included scenario was mostly combat, as was the rules excerpt. Which worried me. As I said, I tend to find combat in RPGs kinda boring.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

They basically talk about a fantasy setting, then present you with the runebound universe with a few examples.

How can you even tell the difference between Runebound and an Unspecified Generic Fantasy Setting Example >_>

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Sounds intriguing. I did run the Force and Destiny starter with some friends, so I'm somewhat familiar with the system.

But the included scenario was mostly combat, as was the rules excerpt. Which worried me. As I said, I tend to find combat in RPGs kinda boring.

A couple of the posters here have a fairly long running Let's Play podcast of Force and Destiny, and from listening (god I wish I could get a group together to play this), it seems like combat takes up roughly 25% of their play time. It was also a great thing to listen to to get a feel for how the dice are supposed to work.

Also also, I think the SW/Gen dice are great for spicing up combat, because they have very clear and easy rules for making life more complicated outside combat. Oh, you missed, and you hit the panel that would open the door you wanted. Or, Yay, you hit, and you hit the panel that would open the door you wanted. Thats right, either way I get to make you think.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

My favorite session of Force and Destiny was when I finally planned out a combat heavy thing for the player who was solely built for combat (a raid on a pirate/ slaves base)... and he bluffs / intimidates his way through the entire thing. Not a single shot was fired.

The narrative dice system makes combat interesting, too. Miss an enemy behind cover, but get a couple of advantages? Looks like you hit a steam pipe, forcing them out of cover. Hit the big bad but get a despair? You are now out of ammo!

Every piece of the game is designed to make the GM's job easier and encourage player creativity.