As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[JRPG] FFXII: The Zodiac Abs

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Me, lying when I recommend a video game to someone: It's not that anime

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Trails of Cold Steel is an anime game. But it's not anime.

The characters in it act like actual characters and not a conglomeration of annoying bullshit tropes.

I hate Trails in the Sky with every fiber of my being. Trails of Cold Steel is one of the best jrpgs I have ever played.

E: W/R/T plot progression in Cold Steel, at a certain point shit gets real and all that worldbuilding pays off in just an incredible way due to how much you've become a part of the people and places in question. Aside from one thing that is very stupid but even despite that.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    !
    Radius wrote: »
    Me, lying when I recommend a video game to someone: It's not that anime

it can always be more anime

always

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I don't know, how many Hyperdimension Neptunia games have you played

• Options
    Ah geez I just realized that now that I have a PS4 I actually do need to get around to finishing Cold Steel 2, before 3 comes out.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

you are not tricking me into googling this

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I would actually take a jrpg where you're playing a kid going to a military academy that is literally entirely that. No big looming threat, no sudden betrayals or supernatural incursions. Just going to class and making friends and dealing with rivals. Field studies could still be in to change it up some and get you a broader understanding of the country. End of the year you have a class project to work on. Then you finish the year and go home, game over. Next game is the next year.

Because I loved it when Cold Steel was simply doing that. It was relaxing. The writing was also good enough that I actually enjoyed learning all these things about the country and the other students/teachers.

Not that I didn't like what it became. But Cold Steel 2 is very very different thematically. Still good, but not as laid back.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    There's actual plot and progress through Trails the Sky too. I just guess people expect every rpg to be some epic god slaying world spanning adventures instead of more grounded and localized stories like Legend of Heroes or Atelier games that focus on single kingdoms and local politics.

Those kinds of stories are fine, but I see no evidence of one existing in this game. I'm 1.25 Chapters away from finishing the game and I don't even know who the central antagonist is, what Cassius is doing or where he is, how these events in individual kingdoms are connected, who the black coats are, etc. Instead I know all the history of these various provinces, what kind of society the Liberl Kingdom had and has, and a lot of detail on exactly how this world's magical equipment functioned before and after the introduction of orbal technology. That is not a story, that's worldbuilding.

It is bad writing to worldbuild for the sake of worldbuilding at the cost of the actual story and that is exactly what Trails in the Sky 1 is doing. I have yet to see anything that suggests this game was ever written as something meant to stand alone, because everything just suggests I could have skipped it and gone straight to #2 when the story actually starts.

Cold Steel does a lousy cliffhanger ending to lead into Cold Steel 2, but it's nowhere near as bad as Sky. Definitely a lot more character focused, as the relationship between the Class 7 members is one of the driving factors.

Also, as a warning, (and Aistan will confirm) the game starts out excessively anime, but very quickly gets over that.

Having finished Trails in the Sky trilogy recently and being currently on the back half of Trails of Cold Steel 1, I don't think the bolded part is true.

Nah, it's super anime in the "power of friendship" etc way, but very not anime in the way it is in the very beginning.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I need to finish Cold Steel but the grade system along with missables give me completionist anxiety.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    There's actual plot and progress through Trails the Sky too. I just guess people expect every rpg to be some epic god slaying world spanning adventures instead of more grounded and localized stories like Legend of Heroes or Atelier games that focus on single kingdoms and local politics.

Those kinds of stories are fine, but I see no evidence of one existing in this game. I'm 1.25 Chapters away from finishing the game and I don't even know who the central antagonist is, what Cassius is doing or where he is, how these events in individual kingdoms are connected, who the black coats are, etc. Instead I know all the history of these various provinces, what kind of society the Liberl Kingdom had and has, and a lot of detail on exactly how this world's magical equipment functioned before and after the introduction of orbal technology. That is not a story, that's worldbuilding.

It is bad writing to worldbuild for the sake of worldbuilding at the cost of the actual story and that is exactly what Trails in the Sky 1 is doing. I have yet to see anything that suggests this game was ever written as something meant to stand alone, because everything just suggests I could have skipped it and gone straight to #2 when the story actually starts.

Cold Steel does a lousy cliffhanger ending to lead into Cold Steel 2, but it's nowhere near as bad as Sky. Definitely a lot more character focused, as the relationship between the Class 7 members is one of the driving factors.

Also, as a warning, (and Aistan will confirm) the game starts out excessively anime, but very quickly gets over that.

I would make a VERY big argument that the whole game is EXTREMELY FUCKING ANIME.

Like always and forever. That's basically it's thing.

Unrelated: Been playing BoF3 off and on. Man that game just let's you miss permanent stats like crazy. If you don't manage to get the first 2 masters you get swept up into the story and unable to go back to get them for quite some time. And the next actual master that pops up requires having a shit ton of weapons so I'd need to come back to that one later. Going to end up spending half the levels in the game masterless.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I would actually take a jrpg where you're playing a kid going to a military academy that is literally entirely that. No big looming threat, no sudden betrayals or supernatural incursions. Just going to class and making friends and dealing with rivals. Field studies could still be in to change it up some and get you a broader understanding of the country. End of the year you have a class project to work on. Then you finish the year and go home, game over. Next game is the next year.

Because I loved it when Cold Steel was simply doing that. It was relaxing. The writing was also good enough that I actually enjoyed learning all these things about the country and the other students/teachers.

Not that I didn't like what it became. But Cold Steel 2 is very very different thematically. Still good, but not as laid back.

Thats basically what i felt about the beginning of ff8. I could have dealt with more of the garden and seed stuff before it went all crazy off the rails.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Let the Nep flow through you AJ
    Become one with the Nep

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

That is a wise decision

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

That is a wise decision

Put your hand onto my Nep
    When I Nep you Nep we Nep

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

That is a wise decision

Someone stop this man.

Mods please

• Options

That is a wise decision

Look, I may be lost to anime

But I will never Nep

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Yo the rest of this year into next year looks to be pretty rad, especially if you're down with the filthy weebness.

Ys VIII, .hack//GU(4 games!!!) and XC2(ok this one is questionable and definitely has some NO ANIME instead of NO, ANIME going on) to end out the year.

Leading into next year which already has Ni No Kuni 2(right at the start of the year!) DQXI, KH3(fuck you let a man dream), Yakuza 6 and Cold Steel 3 lined up.

That's... pretty damn good. Especially since other stuff is sure to pop up throughout the year.

Like non-stop jurpage. So many hours.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    I'm most excited for Yakuza and Ys VIII. I'd lump KH3 in there, but I don't think it'll be coming out any time soon.

I tried a little of the first Ni No Kuni, but the gameplay really turned me off of it. I've never really cared much about Dragon Quest, and I haven't yet finished the first Trails in the Sky game much less any of the Cold Steel games. I'll probably pick up the .hack//GU collection when it comes out just to have it in my collection.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm so very curious how Shenmue 3 will play in a world where seven Yakuza games have come out between Shenmue 2 and 3

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I should really buy Yakuza 5

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm so very curious how Shenmue 3 will play in a world where seven Yakuza games have come out between Shenmue 2 and 3

I won't lie, I saw it on the list and decided against adding it to mine... for now.

I'm most excited for Yakuza and Ys VIII. I'd lump KH3 in there, but I don't think it'll be coming out any time soon.

I tried a little of the first Ni No Kuni, but the gameplay really turned me off of it. I've never really cared much about Dragon Quest, and I haven't yet finished the first Trails in the Sky game much less any of the Cold Steel games. I'll probably pick up the .hack//GU collection when it comes out just to have it in my collection.

*gasp* You're telling me you don't believe Nomura and Square when they say it is officially a 2018 release?! Well I never...

And Ni No Kuni 2 looks to be making some big changes from the first game. Both in the combat and in the general mechanics. But I can totally understand be wary after the first one. I absolutely adored the first one. Heck I named my one dog after a character in it I loved it so much. However, when someone tells me they didn't like it for any one of it's flaws I'm just like "yea that makes perfect sense".

• Options
    I would believe a fall or winter 2018 release of KH3

I have serious doubts about a spring or even summer release

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

Oh yea me too. I was talking about the year of 2018 in general.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The releases for last recode are actually kinda making me think that part 4 is an anime and not a game

• Options

Oh, okay, when you wrote "into next year" I assumed, like, first half.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Ni No Kuni 2 showed some very Georama looking systems and I'm holding out hope that it's the Dark Cloud 3 I've been waiting on for 10 years.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options

Oh, okay, when you wrote "into next year" I assumed, like, first half.

Oh whoops yea that's a bit misleading. Probably should have said "through next year" or something.

My b!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Looking into my crystal ball here...

Oh, looks like it's going to be bad

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I hope Shenmue 3 is good, or at least makes the folks that really want it happy.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

That is a wise decision

But I will never Nep

Ok, but let me pitch you a podcast idea

Let Me Tell You About Hyperdimension Neptunia

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I have played one neptunia game

that was enough

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yo the rest of this year into next year looks to be pretty rad, especially if you're down with the filthy weebness.

Ys VIII, .hack//GU(4 games!!!) and XC2(ok this one is questionable and definitely has some NO ANIME instead of NO, ANIME going on) to end out the year.

Leading into next year which already has Ni No Kuni 2(right at the start of the year!) DQXI, KH3(fuck you let a man dream), Yakuza 6 and Cold Steel 3 lined up.

That's... pretty damn good. Especially since other stuff is sure to pop up throughout the year.

The entire .Hack//GU series going for 50 is pretty great value.

• Options
    Also next year when it comes time to release, Nomura will tell us Kingdom Hearts 3 is the friends we made along the way.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Also next year when it comes time to release, Nomura will tell us Kingdom Hearts 3 is delayed.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Also next year when it comes time to release, Nomura will tell us Kingdom Hearts 3 is delayed due to darkness

DemonStacey on
  • Options

The entire .Hack//GU series going for 50 is pretty great value.

Yea. It seems like it will be perfect to just slot one of them into each month that doesn't have a big release that I'm looking forward to and should really help me stay full of games through to next summer at least. I didn't even realize how close I was to escaping this gameless hell I've been trapped in until I made that list earlier. And it looks like it could end up being an even better period of non-stop gaming than the one earlier this year.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Also next year when it comes time to release, Rauxmon will tell us Kingdom Hearts 3 is delayed due to darkness

Madican on
  • Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Also next year when it comes time to release, Nomura will tell us Kingdom Hearts 3 is LIGHT

• Options

That is a wise decision