Options

Movie Thread.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I liked it a hell of a lot less than Prometheus, that's for sure. What a waste of a charismatic and capable cast.
    Prohass wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »
    Wow did I hate Alien: Covenant. Just two hours of emptiness, devoid of characters and meaning.

Like, it wasn't even brutal enough to exist for brutality's sake.

I could type up some longer thoughts but I don't know if the movie even deserves it. The best part of the whole movie was the woman behind me who was also not having it and being pretty vocal about it.

How about that ending
    "twist" aye? Pointless, dumb, mean and stupid and obvious as fuck. What the hell.
    It was telegraphed as soon as David cut his hair, and then went for the grimdarkiest possible ending to the benefit of nothing. There's neither resolution nor hope in that ending, just the promise of more pointless brutality. Fuck I'm salty about this movie.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I had little interest in seeing the new aliens movie now that the reviews are out and people talking about it even less than zero interest

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    A thought on characterization in Covenant:
    Daniels got the shortest end of the stick as a character. Her personal loss is established up front and the movie sort of tries to carry her as the lead, but never commits. For a minute the new captain (I can't even remember his name, Mr. "If you're religious at all people persecute you!") is kind of the focus, and but then it snaps back to Daniels when he dies. Unlike Shaw, though, I feel like we never get into Daniel's head. Everything with her is surface level. She gets to miss her husband for all of 30 seconds before the plot moves on, and they never capitalize on her loss (or anyone else's, really) in a meaningful way. Shaw got so much more characterization, her faith was really her driving force, and I felt more of the emotions she was expressing. Probably because we got to see her establish her relationship. Daniels could have had plenty of scenes about feeling alone, the suddenness of loss and the harshness of space/pioneer life, but they didn't do anything with her. I never even really felt scared, at least I didn't feel her fear (a lot of that had to do with the presentation of the aliens as well). If I can't even feel a basic emotion like terror in a movie about super predator aliens, you done goofed.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Things that I hate about the Simpsons movie, beyond it just being a bad movie:

Most of it is set outside Springfield.
    Grandpa screaming EPA
    Homer giving the finger?
    Hans moleman holding up a sign saying "you suck" before he's run over (why, also what?)
    Hank Scorpio 2, not quite as good
    All of the jokes and dialogue
    Reiner wolfcastle being explicitly named as "Arnold swarzenegger", which not only makes no sense, but proves the movie is for people who don't know, care about, or understand the Simpsons

I could honestly go on and on. It's lazy, ugly, dumb, charmless. Bart has none of his particular kind of street smart wit, and is basically what Bart would be if someone who never saw the Simpsons described him based in cultural osmosis (rude with tude and radical!)

God I hate it, I hate spider pig, and I hate that it inexplicably has a high rating on aggregate sites. It makes me feel like an old man yelling at a cloud. The movie isn't just average or bad, it feels like it overwrites what made the Simpsons so great with a generic facsimile of what the Simpsons is to the average person who never really watched it

It's kind of caught all my dislike of the fact that the Simpsons continues now, since I couldn't be arsed to hate each new season individually, that would just be too exhausting

Things that I hate about The Simpsons Movie:

They painted the EPA as an overbearing government bully that imposes cruel and unusual punishments on people. It's like the movie was written by Rex Tillerson.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Shows that went too soon?

Las Vegas

Look, I would take twenty seasons of Vanessa Marcil's Sam just wandering around doing whatever Sam wanted to do that day, but ... nah, that show went on too long, if anything.
    Well, I will admit that the last season was a bit much, it just ended on a cliffhanger and I wanted that resolved. Plus I liked the cast.

sig.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Tom Cruise says there will be a Top Gun 2.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Per Slash Film, Brooks says he’s having active discussions with MGM about making Spaceballs 2

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Still waiting for Zootopia 2.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Zoo2pia

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Per Slash Film, Brooks says he’s having active discussions with MGM about making Spaceballs 2

The Search For More Money

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    2ooTwop][a 2, in which we finally get to see the ice cream joints in the fox part of town.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Part Zeux

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Comic book movies have the easiest path to great posters and they usually have some of the worst ones out there

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I seriously don't understand why everyone doesn't just hire mondo immediately.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Who gets paid for shit like that

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »

It's not like Marvel comics doesn't know some people that know how to draw Spider-Man

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

Because mondo posters don't have giant pictures of all the stars that execs think drive ticket sales.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Because mondo posters don't have giant pictures of all the stars that execs think drive ticket sales.

You haven't seen their marvel ones then.
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/02/22/mondo-unleashes-tyler-stouts-captain-america-civil-war

Tyler Stout has done a lot of the marvel movies in that style and I actually kinda hate it, it's just way too busy.

Alt answer: because then Mondo would have to produce enough posters to meet demand.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Comic book movies have the easiest path to great posters and they usually have some of the worst ones out there

Onl first glance I didn't loathe it

and then I'm looking in the right hand corner and I'm seeing the Washington Monument and just what the fuck is even going on there?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm a little torn on Zendaya. The few times I've seen her on TV I didn't like her but I've never see her in a movie so maybe she'll be fine.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I don't know why they don't just use the teaser posters in situations like this

Like, this poster here is great! Just keep using this one!

• Options
    FYI, Johnny Depp literally jumps over a shark in the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I thought the shark jumped over him

• Options
    I heard they take turns jumpin over eachother

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

• Options
    FYI, Johnny Depp literally jumps over a shark in the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie

That series jumped the shark somewhere around the second or third movie.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Onl first glance I didn't loathe it

and then I'm looking in the right hand corner and I'm seeing the Washington Monument and just what the fuck is even going on there?

He goes on a school trip to DC

Its in the trailers

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

That series jumped the shark somewhere around the second or third movie.

It was the water wheel thing in 2 for me.

No wait. It was the cannibal ball cage thing in 2. That was right at the beginning.

Basically anything after 1.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    They should've positioned the Washington monument over Jon Favreaus waist so as to create the illusion of Jon Favreau having a titanic stone cock

• Options
    It seems like the Pirates franchise has a great aesthetic and sensibility that would be used way better if it was anybody but Disney

They seem satisfied to shove out the same movie every couple years

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    "illusion"

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Why is

Wait why is Happy Hogan getting such high billing for a Spider-Man movie

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    People talk shit on Happy Hogan but from what I recall without him Tony would have gotten minced pretty early into Iron Man 2

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I feel like a lot of movies these days have the early poster that looks good, and then the poster that's just supposed to sit in theaters to remind people getting out of a different movie that the famous dudes X Y and Z are in that movie coming out next Friday we should come back and see it. Not supposed to look great just supposed to be a friendly reminder.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Why is

Wait why is Happy Hogan getting such high billing for a Spider-Man movie

Pretty sure this is like one third an Iron Man movie.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm becoming a bit weird.

I was sitting in the theatre for guardians and a trailer for the last jedi started playing, and I was legitimately upset because I was trying to avoid as much information about that film as possible.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I feel like I'm becoming a bit weird.

I was sitting in the theatre for guardians and a trailer for the last jedi started playing, and I was legitimately upset because I was trying to avoid as much information about that film as possible.

My bf has closed his eyes and hummed his way through a trailer before to avoid spoilers. I get it. These days you just can't trust the ending of the movie won't be in a trailer. :-/

• Options
    Thankfully that Star Wars trailer tells you jack shit

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    It tells you luke thinks the jedi shouldn't come back.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Psykoma wrote: »
    It tells you luke thinks the jedi shouldn't come back.
    Did you think he was working on bringing them back, what with going into exile and not being heard from in years?

He didn't seem too pleased to be found at the end of TFA.

Fawst on
This discussion has been closed.