As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SysAdmin] More like unItanium.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    People deleting their mailboxes when they leave the company... why... you know there are these things called backups, and I'm going to restore your mailbox, why must you waste my time going through each backup until I find the day you deleted all your shit.

And why are you using Deleted Items as a filing cabinet...

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Users.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Greetings from picturesque Wisconsin, where I'll be spending the next week configuring servers for a client and not QA'ing a broken piece of shit web app for lazy fucking developers.

It's like I'm actually doing what they hired me for.

The beer is good here.

The weather, not so much.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Greetings from picturesque Wisconsin, where I'll be spending the next week configuring servers for a client and not QA'ing a broken piece of shit web app for lazy fucking developers.

The beer is good here.

The football was also disappointing last night.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Blackberry...... ugh.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

The beer is good here.

Apparently we're kicking so much ass atm that were in danger of finishing early.

We can't leave before Friday AM due to third party companies doing their installs Wednesday, we have to spend a full day on site to make sure things work and a morning after to make sure things work after end of day.

We need to keep busy mon-wed otherwise were going to get complaints and people bringing up small stupid problems like their mouse is too slow.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

The beer is good here.

Fried cheese curds :9

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

The beer is good here.

Fried cheese curds :9

Bratwurst.

Can you tell it's dinner time soon?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Hrrm. I have to decide if I want to take a manager position. It'd be manager of what is essentially being an on site managed services provider for a very prestigious network customer, with all the great bells and whistles and some cool shit.

But at the same time I'm really happy being a security engineer, and I really can't make up my mind.

get paid?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Hrrm. I have to decide if I want to take a manager position. It'd be manager of what is essentially being an on site managed services provider for a very prestigious network customer, with all the great bells and whistles and some cool shit.

But at the same time I'm really happy being a security engineer, and I really can't make up my mind.

get paid?

You can get paid at most jobs. I made a mistake and went into sales briefly to get more paid, and that was a life realignment lesson. The money was good but fuck off it wasn't worth hating my job.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I mean there are a lot of good reasons to move on but sometimes the personal costs outweigh the monitary gain.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

get paid?

You can get paid at most jobs. I made a mistake and went into sales briefly to get more paid, and that was a life realignment lesson. The money was good but fuck off it wasn't worth hating my job.

I'm at a similar crossroads right now where I can keep being the "Smartest Guy in the Room" style senior tech, or I can move into management.

(Truth be told I'd rather get out of IT entirely but I've tried that twice and failed both times.)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

get paid?

I'm at a similar crossroads right now where I can keep being the "Smartest Guy in the Room" style senior tech, or I can move into management.

(Truth be told I'd rather get out of IT entirely but I've tried that twice and failed both times.)
    At one point, my boss asked me if I'd like to think about getting into management with the caveat that there probably won't be a place for me to do that for a while. At the time, I was like, yeah, maybe, sure, I'd think about it. After seeing all of the meetings and paperwork and leadership crap, I really just like being the relatively well-paid expert in everything rather than deal with people.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Depending on how you fit into the management structure, you can be less IT and more IT-Adjacent.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Depending on how you fit into the management structure, you can be less IT and more IT-Adjacent.
    The highest I think I'd like to be at this point is to manage the couple of remote site guys, but I just don't think that's going to happen.

• Options

get paid?

At one point, my boss asked me if I'd like to think about getting into management with the caveat that there probably won't be a place for me to do that for a while. At the time, I was like, yeah, maybe, sure, I'd think about it. After seeing all of the meetings and paperwork and leadership crap, I really just like being the relatively well-paid expert in everything rather than deal with people.

I've seen my boss do her job from afar and I can definitively say fuck that shit. Her life seems to constantly exist in a state somewhere between 'tight-lipped crisis-mode' and 'something is actually on fire and it might be me'.

That said, my boss is fucking awesome and always super cool and understanding and patient with us, even if we can see how frantic she is with everything else. I have mad respect for her.

• Options
    vcb57rrnufs0.png

It really does always work.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    thorwink.gif

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

get paid?

I've seen my boss do her job from afar and I can definitively say fuck that shit. Her life seems to constantly exist in a state somewhere between 'tight-lipped crisis-mode' and 'something is actually on fire and it might be me'.

That said, my boss is fucking awesome and always super cool and understanding and patient with us, even if we can see how frantic she is with everything else. I have mad respect for her.

I had a boss like this.

They fired her.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    User walks into IT area.

"Yes I have the VPN installed but I don't have a shortcut for it on my desktop. Can you do that for me?"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I've had to restore 3 mailboxes this week. The level 1's aren't reading the KBs we have out that says "Disable them for a month first"

One of them was trying to remove a user from a group and he deleted the mailbox. How do you manage to do that?

Artoria on
  • Options
    Artoria wrote: »
    I've had to restore 3 mailboxes this week. The level 1's aren't reading the KBs we have out that says "Disable them for a month first"

One of them was trying to remove a user from a group and he deleted the mailbox. How do you manage to do that?

that's amazing.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Artoria wrote: »

Overeager incompetence.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I can admit that I tried to delete a mailbox for a user and deleted the entire user, because apparently Microsoft thinks that makes sense to do from the exchange management interface.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I can admit that I tried to delete a mailbox for a user and deleted the entire user, because apparently Microsoft thinks that makes sense to do from the exchange management interface.

Why would an organization want to keep a user with no mailbox?

• Options
    In other news, Sophos is still 30 pounds of shit in a 10 pound bag.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Had some issues setting up the new boxes, but we went through those and got em up. Had to deal with some third party companies and their bullshit. Put in 30 hours since Sunday.

Still not QAing a broken piece of shit web app, zero fucks given about the server issues.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Why would an organization want to keep a user with no mailbox?

I mistyped some things setting it up. I figured it would be easier to delete and start again.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    User walks into IT area.

"Yes I have the VPN installed but I don't have a shortcut for it on my desktop. Can you do that for me?"

As basic as this would seem, I know a majority of our users would have no idea how to get to anything, including our VPN, if we didn't create a shortcut on their desktop. Granted, most of these people working here come from farming families and legitimately only use a desktop/laptop computer while working here. It's really only in the last 5 years that many have even gotten some form of computer at home.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    donavannj wrote: »
    User walks into IT area.

As basic as this would seem, I know a majority of our users would have no idea how to get to anything, including our VPN, if we didn't create a shortcut on their desktop. Granted, most of these people working here come from farming families and legitimately only use a desktop/laptop computer while working here. It's really only in the last 5 years that many have even gotten some form of computer at home.
    I'd go as far as to say that the "have a computer at home" has peaked, due to smart phones and iPads/tablets. My parents ostensibly have a computer, but the last time it was booted was for me to back up photos from their phones to an external flash drive.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    donavannj wrote: »
    User walks into IT area.

My issue is that I have VPN shortcuts on the desktop and yet they are not clicked! And if they are, they do not tell it to connect in the systray. And then they will complain to people who aren't me that the VPN sucks and I suck and blah blah. Who will then get their shoulders rubbed by people who also can't be bothered to click on desktop icons and feel their pain.

It is fucking infuriating. I have a department head that I've shown the VPN shortcut to about 20 times now, and they roam throughout the week, and yet, because it is a Tuesday or something, how the fuck does this VPN work, Thawmus? Oh you have to click it? What? How can I not remember that?

I DON'T KNOW HOW THE FUCK CAN'T YOU? YOU DID THIS EVERY DAY FOR THE PAST 2 WEEKS!!

Thawmus on
  • Options
    tl;dr: Users

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Every Sophos licence comes with a free Bag Of Holding?!?

• Options
    @NEO|Phyte Hey we're hiring again. Check yo PMs.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

Every Sophos licence comes with a free Bag Of Holding?!?

Yeah, but it opens to a hell demension and demons occasionally come out of it.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Using IIS reverse Proxy (ARR method, for those who care) for a sharepoint instance we want to have accessible externally.

kept failing the health check every single time because of a 403 error. As far as we can tell, there was no reason for there to be a 403 error. And every time it fails a health check, it marks the server as unhealthy so requests fail, so the website fails to load.

Tell the health check that 403 is an acceptable error code. The site loads. every time. for the last hour.

:rotate:

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Folks, I have decided to take it upon myself to finally develop a Networking thread with a proper OP. The intent is to add some general guidelines related to router/switch choices and some basic background for wifi related items. Your basic residential network type stuff. I was wondering if you guys could give it a proofread once I put it together.

I'll likely toss things into a Google Doc prior to making it go Live. I'm not planning to have this see the light of day until at least the end of Sept, so right now I'm just probing for interest/reviewers.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Using IIS reverse Proxy (ARR method, for those who care) for a sharepoint instance we want to have accessible externally.

kept failing the health check every single time because of a 403 error. As far as we can tell, there was no reason for there to be a 403 error. And every time it fails a health check, it marks the server as unhealthy so requests fail, so the website fails to load.

Tell the health check that 403 is an acceptable error code. The site loads. every time. for the last hour.

Is it a site that prompts for your username and password via the Windows credential box? Because I believe IE tries to login anonymously before trying your Kerberos token, and then if that fails you get the prompt. (It may not be a 403 that gets thrown back to the browser, but that makes some amount of sense.)

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

Is it a site that prompts for your username and password via the Windows credential box? Because I believe IE tries to login anonymously before trying your Kerberos token, and then if that fails you get the prompt. (It may not be a 403 that gets thrown back to the browser, but that makes some amount of sense.)

the site it set up so when you go to it you have to choose your authentication method first, wither Windows auth (for internal users), or Forms auth (for external), so it shouldn't be trying to authenticate right off the hop.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Folks, I have decided to take it upon myself to finally develop a Networking thread with a proper OP. The intent is to add some general guidelines related to router/switch choices and some basic background for wifi related items. Your basic residential network type stuff. I was wondering if you guys could give it a proofread once I put it together.

I'll likely toss things into a Google Doc prior to making it go Live. I'm not planning to have this see the light of day until at least the end of Sept, so right now I'm just probing for interest/reviewers.

I'd be interested to see people do something that isn't my redneck network engineering.

This discussion has been closed.