Options

[Mass Effect Andromeda] Shepard may get a day, but Ryder gets a planet.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Man I wish I could look past the technical issues with me:a but I find they're so omnipresent that I just can't.

And it's not even the awkward animations or enemies spawning in the god damn sky, it's shit like "rando grunt can eat a full clip before falling down of just about any gun" thats simply unacceptable in a game that I spent good money on.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I started playing Andromeda again. I've already decided to romance Jaal again because he's my favorite in that game. The game is still 100% my jam and I still don't understand the hate it got. Like there are technical flaws, sure, but underneath them is a game that I find very, very good.

This is how I feel about the original ME3 ending in particular, and ME3 in general.
    fite me

...I guess I should retry the Andromeda avoiding most of the sidequests so I don't burn myself out.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I never finished Andromeda and i'm considering starting it over.

What I remember of the opening is that it's the strongest of the series, and the gameplay is better than ME3's just by virtue of JETPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK. Yeah most of the characters are kind of boring but all I have to do is only go around with the two I like and problem solved.

E: Though... starting over, when my savegame says 57 hours and 47% completion...

Gameplay is worse than 3 by virtue of "hot key 2 powers instead of 3 because... incompetence?"

? Didn't we get 8 hotkeys in ME3? Or is this a console thing?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Orca wrote: »
    I started playing Andromeda again. I've already decided to romance Jaal again because he's my favorite in that game. The game is still 100% my jam and I still don't understand the hate it got. Like there are technical flaws, sure, but underneath them is a game that I find very, very good.

This is how I feel about the original ME3 ending in particular, and ME3 in general.
    fite me

...I guess I should retry the Andromeda avoiding most of the sidequests so I don't burn myself out.

Yes I'm aware of this.

It's OK for you to have terrible taste, I still luv you.

Also RE: hotkeys... I was able to hotkey all three skills? Is that indeed a console bumfuck? If so yeah I guess I'm starting to understand why console players would hate it more than the rest of is.

Cambiata on
    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Man I wish I could look past the technical issues with me:a but I find they're so omnipresent that I just can't.

And it's not even the awkward animations or enemies spawning in the god damn sky, it's shit like "rando grunt can eat a full clip before falling down of just about any gun" thats simply unacceptable in a game that I spent good money on.

Piranha + seeking plasma + bio converter = no problems w/ guns ever again.

• Options
    And then you equip a backup Valiant so you can murder things beyond point blank range and yeah, at that point you can ignore powers should you so choose.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I started giving Andromeda another shot myself starting last Thursday. You know, I'm finding it way, WAY better this time now that I'm skipping 90% of the side quests. I still dread doing the vaults, though. I really hate having so much sudoku and platforming in Mass Effect. I would kill for a "remove all vaults" mod.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    And then you equip a backup Valiant so you can murder things beyond point blank range and yeah, at that point you can ignore powers should you so choose.

Seeking plasma has no range. No backups needed.

• Options

Seeking plasma has no range. No backups needed.

I've found it isn't as effective for some especially irritating foes at range--since seeking plasma reduces the damage by what, like 40%? Whereas in-close I'm charging all the damned time.

Actually, if I'm remembering right, my preferred loadout (vanguard, naturally) was a Piranha without seeking plasma, an asari sword, and the Valiant.

Doing something like blast 2-4 times with the piranha, give 'em the ol' slice-'n-dice, then charge. Rinse and repeat until everything within a mile of me is dead.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I don't consider a broken gun-crafting system to be an acceptable replacement for over half your power slots.

That's like telling someone who loves wizards to just play as an archer instead. I don't care how overpowered archers are! I don't want to be an archer! I want to be a wizard!

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I don't consider a broken gun-crafting system to be an acceptable replacement for over half your power slots.

That's like telling someone who loves wizards to just play as an archer instead. I don't care how overpowered archers are! I don't want to be an archer! I want to be a wizard!

The reply about gun crafting was for the person mad about guns. The power system I found to be fine, but then I did play a lot of ME3 multiplayer.

3 powers is just the right amount. A primer and a detonator is really all you need, the third one is just cake (for some of my multiplayer trials, I even made builds that only used a single power, because I didn't like the full skill set. Playing the class at all was for Best of the Best purposes). As I said in a previous post, Ryder is not an N7, it makes more sense for her to have a tighter set of skills. If they ever do give Andromeda a sequel, I think it would be interesting to give her a couple more slots in keeping with the theme of Rookie to experienced professional, but the amount of slots that Shepard had was super OP.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I romamced Ashley because I am the most generic person ever.
    Ashley is a good romance, except for maybe some of the poetry in ME1.

And it's worth repeating, Reddit has the "just want to play" version of Andromeda. Tagged because people playing for the first time will get spoiled on ark stuff.
    1. Rush the main quest-line until you have the Salarian ark.
    2. Skip out on doing most side-quests and tasks, other than on the Nexus. The Nexus quests should be cleared out everytime you return since some can fail.
    3. Do the turian and asari ark questlines.
    4. Continue main story until point of no return.
    5. Go back to planets and complete quests that have an effect on the ending. Optionally do loyalty quests.
    6. Complete the main mission.

You now have the epilogue to go 100% every single planet, explore, etc. All banter lines are unlocked, and there is no weird discontinuity with any of the side quests. It actually makes more sense.

sig.gif
  • Options

The reply about gun crafting was for the person mad about guns. The power system I found to be fine, but then I did play a lot of ME3 multiplayer.

3 powers is just the right amount. A primer and a detonator is really all you need, the third one is just cake (for some of my multiplayer trials, I even made builds that only used a single power, because I didn't like the full skill set. Playing the class at all was for Best of the Best purposes). As I said in a previous post, Ryder is not an N7, it makes more sense for her to have a tighter set of skills. If they ever do give Andromeda a sequel, I think it would be interesting to give her a couple more slots in keeping with the theme of Rookie to experienced professional, but the amount of slots that Shepard had was super OP.

At no point in any of my Mass Effect 3 playthroughs did I ever think, "Aw man, all these awesome superpowers I have are making the game way too easy! I sure wish I had a lot less!"

I don't know, maybe I'm just really bad at Mass Effect.

• Options

At no point in any of my Mass Effect 3 playthroughs did I ever think, "Aw man, all these awesome superpowers I have are making the game way too easy! I sure wish I had a lot less!"

I don't know, maybe I'm just really bad at Mass Effect.

Like I said, I played a lot of multi. Once you've put in multiple hours there, when you come back to the base game there just ended up to be tons and tons of skills I never used. Charge + Nova + one more for back up was plenty. The rest of the skills just meant I had to wait for cooldown on Charge + Nova.

Which reminds me of another way the skills are improved, no global cooldown.

• Options
    I always carried a minimal loadout, and my build was almost all cast-and-forget powers (I was a Dominate Engineer), so cooldowns were never an issue for me.

Andromeda really nerfed that playstyle hard. Sabotage and Dominate were removed completely, cast-and-forget skills were made less spammable by changing it so that their cooldowns didn't start until their effects ended, and the reduced number of skill slots meant I had fewer effects active at once.

The removal of global cool downs was a good change, but even with that, I still found myself waiting a lot longer between casts in Andromeda than I did in 3.

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    So I'm remembering something about the end of ME3:
    Considering the citadel and a bulk of all allied fleets are in the Sol system, and none of the mass effect relays are functional anymore, aren't they effectively trapped there and doesn't everyone starve to death pretty quick if anything other than the synthesized endings occur?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    that was one of the lesser criticisms of the ending, yes

I think the revised ending included some blurb about the other council races shipping in food or something

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Ah, yes, the food shipments that should arrive in a few hundred years via conventional space travel.

• Options
    that was one of the lesser criticisms of the ending, yes

I think the revised ending included some blurb about the other council races shipping in food or something

I mean, they couldn't, presumably, but also I'm not sure it's a criticism. If they're going for a bleak ending then 'you win but also everyone is doomed to a slow death' works pretty well.

• Options
    Word of God basically said that the Milky Way was smaller than advertised. Like, going from one side to the other with regular FTL takes months, not years. Everyone being in the Sol System without the proper supplies wasn't as bad as had been previously indicated.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Word of God basically said that the Milky Way was smaller than advertised. Like, going from one side to the other with regular FTL takes months, not years. Everyone being in the Sol System without the proper supplies wasn't as bad as had been previously indicated.

Ok.
    I mean, they can say whatever they want, but it's pretty clear that the reality is "the ending was shitty and poorly thought out".

• Options
    I've recently become a fan of ProdZ. This is a good video he did. His Garrus impression is p. good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dL5ctL7fFE

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I was actually fine with the result of ME 3 if everyone is trapped at Sol. Gives a nice pyrrhic tone to the end, since you really shouldn't have been able to win regardless of what you did.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Sounds like bullshit to cover poor writing. Without contradicting their own fastest mentioned Andromeda FTL speeds of 4000c, it would take 25 years to cross the galaxy. Food supplies are a minimum couple years away for some of those species.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I dug Andromeda's single player. Colonizing a new system is right up my alley, generic animals and aliens aside.

The multi completely turned me off. 3 multi was perfect. I still play it. I couldn't believe how disappointed I was with MEA multi.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The Reapers were harvesting almost 2 million people per day. I have no idea how long ME3 lasts, but if aliens can eat corn, there should be some spare ears to go around without all those humans clogging up Earth. Blue and Green endings have plenty of robot farmers. I'm not saying it'd be fun, or even mass starvation free, but I think they could avoid extinction.

• Options
    MagicalGoatsMagicalGoats Registered User regular
    I loved Andromeda's combat, the overall story, the teammates, the banter, the sass factor on the main character. The only real problems I had were with some of the graphics, the first real Kett fortress where Ryder decided to repeatedly clip through the fortress interior while charging, and again at same fortress where the Kett constantly respawned despite disabling their distress call. (To be fair, that made the fortress really exciting to push through especially at a lower to middle level), and of course my Ryder's inability to romance Liam, Jaal or Suvi.
    Still got to see Liam and Jaal's competition though. I benefited.

Not being able to romance all of the crew members, frustrating, but not really enough to say it was BAD.
    Besides, if we're discussing favorite Bioware romances, all time favorite has to go to Anomen. JOKING I WAS JOKING!

There is no aspect, no facet, no moment of life, that cannot be improved with pizza.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The Reapers were harvesting almost 2 million people per day. I have no idea how long ME3 lasts, but if aliens can eat corn, there should be some spare ears to go around without all those humans clogging up Earth. Blue and Green endings have plenty of robot farmers. I'm not saying it'd be fun, or even mass starvation free, but I think they could avoid extinction.

Some of the ME species have different protien chirality from Earth life. Eating any biological material from Earth is either indigestible or toxic.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

Some of the ME species have different protien chirality from Earth life. Eating any biological material from Earth is either indigestible or toxic.

Yeah, I have a feeling they had some food production on the citadel, but at the end of the day they start running out and begin murdering each other for food.

I actually like the ending a lot with that in mind because you might be able to pull out a 'win' but the galaxy is still super fucked. Maybe spend more time reverse-engineering mass relays next time, jerks.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    If that is the cost of stopping the Reapers

I pay it gladly.
    I like the Refuse ending the best of the Extended Cut endings.

Orca on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I always picked Destroy and had few problems with it before and none after the extended cut.

• Options
    Ran all four endings, don't really have a favorite per se since each ending fit the Shepard that picked it, but "universal happiness" and "you're not my supervisor!" are the two I prefer over the others.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I always carried a minimal loadout, and my build was almost all cast-and-forget powers (I was a Dominate Engineer), so cooldowns were never an issue for me.

Andromeda really nerfed that playstyle hard. Sabotage and Dominate were removed completely, cast-and-forget skills were made less spammable by changing it so that their cooldowns didn't start until their effects ended, and the reduced number of skill slots meant I had fewer effects active at once.

The removal of global cool downs was a good change, but even with that, I still found myself waiting a lot longer between casts in Andromeda than I did in 3.

Ah, ok. The three skill playstyle works well with basically everything except engineer and sentinel, so it makes sense why it wouldn't work for you.

Since Vanguard is my preferred style, the new setup allowed me to try things with vanguard I'd never done before, and that's really enjoyable to me.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    In ME3 for console, you used powers on two trigger buttons and one face button. In Andromeda (unless they changed this with patches), they removed the face button power use. Massive turn off.

• Options
    In ME3 for console, you used powers on two trigger buttons and one face button. In Andromeda (unless they changed this with patches), they removed the face button power use. Massive turn off.

Ew.

• Options
    How do you use the third power? Like, the game allowed for three to be used, so why remove control over one of them?

sig.gif
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    How do you use the third power? Like, the game allowed for three to be used, so why remove control over one of them?

You get to assign two. Since there's no circle menu any more (another brain dead decision), you need to reassign the buttons to use the third one. I quit on the first planet, dunno if I'll get back to it ever.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

You get to assign two. Since there's no circle menu any more (another brain dead decision), you need to reassign the buttons to use the third one. I quit on the first planet, dunno if I'll get back to it ever.

LB: One power. RB: Other power. LB + RB: Third power.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Default is L1, R1, and L1+R1 on the ps4.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Power 1 is L1, Power 2 is R1, Power 3 is L1+R1. It works fine.

This discussion has been closed.