Options

[Endless Space 2] is out. Hope you've been Craving some Cravers.

FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
edited May 2017 in Games and Technology
header.jpg?t=1495191039

Endless Space 2 is the latest 4X game by Aplitude, makers of Endless Space, Endless Legend, and Dungeon of the Endless. Not a direct sequel, it's more of an alternate retelling of ES1, with some new factions and a metaplot involving the Academy, the mysterious place where all Heroes go to learn how to channel Dust, and the ultimate goals of it's founder.

Though it's obviously a sequel of the first Endless Space, it takes a lot of things from Endless Legend -such as Influence, the Marketplace, Minor factions, a Faction quest that permeates most of the game- with several new things to separate it from both; Gone are EL's Empire plans, instead you have elections every twenty turns between six competing ideologies that determine which laws you can pass for bonuses at an influence per turn cost. Heroes are not only bought with ridiculous amounts of dust and the occasional rare quest, but earned regularly throughout the game based on you actions (you can still eventually buy a new hero from the Marketplace ala Endless Legend if one suiting your needs isn't showing up.) Luxury Resources are now used to increase your system's development level, giving powerful bonuses depending on what resources are used. Exploration is more involved than in ES1, with curiosities to examine on planets, and the need to find new constellations via probes before you can actually travel to them (Warp comes before Wormholes now, and you don't see where the Wormholes are until you can use them) You also now have multispecies empires much like Stellaris, with different species having unique (and often planet-specific) bonuses and political tendencies that can shape what your empire is good at and how they will vote come election time. Most quests, including the Faction quests, have multiple choices and branches that can lead to different rewards and outcomes.

And of course, you still have all the things that Endless games are known for; The lore with Dust and the Endless, the beautiful locations and battles, and of course, that soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qzSXiU3AaY

Right now, there are eight Major Factions; The Sophons, the Cravers, the Horatio, the United Empire, the Lumeris, the Vodyani, the Riftborn, and The Unfallen. (The Pilgrims, Amoeba, Hissho and an offshoot of the Harmony from ES1 are still around, but are now minor factions, no sign or mention of the Sowers or Automatons, and outside of Auriga, the Vaulters either)

The Sophons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0G_RZykVA&index=8&list=PLMifTffa0JyDa3ogFMBl0H9PkJCvyQcys

One of the returning factions from ES1, the Sophons love science and discovery to the point that it makes nearly all other concerns -including personal self-preservation- secondary. Though that just might stem from the fact their preferred approach to science wouldn't look out of place on an episode of Mythbusters. Their Empire Affinity, Omniscience, makes them aware of all the technologies that have been researched in the game, and gain a bonus to science while researching techs that others in the galaxy have yet to, up to 50% for being the first to do so. Coupled with a Scientist-lead government (allowing you to skip a single tech tier) a Sophon empire can have early access to technologies that other empires cannot even begin to research. Their faction quest revolves around their quest to build an AI capable of running their government so they can focus on more important things like science and blowing things up with science, with the results that you except.

The Cravers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4rgswnjpZg&list=PLMifTffa0JyDa3ogFMBl0H9PkJCvyQcys&index=7

Second returning faction, the Cravers were created by the Virtual Endless to wage their civil war against the Concrete Endless. After doing their job, the Virtuals rounded up all the Cravers, dropped them on a shithole of a planet, and bombed it back to the stone age... Which really only made them angry. Cravers cannot be at peace as long as there is a Militarist government in power, and Craver pops deplete planets that they live on, eventually making them only produce about half of what they once did, pushing the need to expand and conquer new worlds to keep pace with other empires. Their Empire Affinity, Slave Drivers, makes non-craver pops unhappy and reproduce less often, but produce more FIDSI than they would otherwise. Fear of being eaten, it turns out, is a pretty good motivator. Their faction quest starts when a mysterious Craver ship attacks one of your own... Something that should not happen even during the leanest times.

The Horatio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exRFQXX3oeg&index=3&list=PLMifTffa0JyDa3ogFMBl0H9PkJCvyQcys

Horatio was a man whose immeasurable wealth was only slightly greater that his insanity. Having enough of ugly people making fun of his unmatched good looks (especially that gorgeous conehead of his), he put himself into cryo suspension and went out into deep space. Eventually, his ship landed on a world full of ancient cloning and genetic engineering technology. Now leading an entire empire full of Horatios, he now ventures out of the stars with the goal to make everything in the galaxy as beautiful as he is. His Faction Affinity, Gene Hunter, allows you to, ah, "process" other species pops in your empire to improve your primary Horatio pops, giving them a lesser form of that species' bonus, but costing more food to maintain and grow your Horatio populations. His faction quest is about some of the very first Horatios, which were made to be exactly like their creator... perhaps TOO much like their creator.

The United Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTbS8BEa1oI&list=PLMifTffa0JyDa3ogFMBl0H9PkJCvyQcys&index=4

The last of the returning playable factions. Descendants of the ancient Mezari clans that once roamed the stars, the recently United Empire is ready to take to the galaxy themselves and achieve their manifest destiny. Their Faction Affinity, Emperor's Will, allows the United Empire to use Influence to by out improvements, ships and even technologies, as well as use it in place of Dust in the Marketplace. They also gain influence at the completion of improvements and ships, regardless of whether Industry, Dust, or Influence was used to build it. Their Faction quest revolves around the Emperor Zelephas' desire to secure his legacy and make sure the Empire remains United after his death, while unraveling the mystery of a potential rebellion that may involve one of your closest allies.

The Vodyani

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yupbwsSfGsE&index=5&list=PLMifTffa0JyDa3ogFMBl0H9PkJCvyQcys

One of the new factions, and my personal favorite. The Vodyani were about to wipe themselves out from over-industrialization until they found ancient relics from the Virtual Endless. Now quasi-energy beings contained in suits known as a "Cloth", the Church of the Virtual Saints now roams the galaxy to preach their faith, search for more relics of the Endless they see as divine, and sucking the life force out of heretics and unbelievers to sustain their existence. Their Affinity is Ship Bound: Rather than living on planets, they instead live of giant Ark ships that anchor to a system to harvest in for resources, with each pop working every colonizable planet simultaneously (i.e if you have an Ark with 3 pops that anchors to a system with 3 planets you can colonize, they do the work of 9 pops, or 3 pops on each of those worlds). They also gather a unique resource, Essence, earned primarily from leeching the colonies of other factions. They can use this to create new pops (they can grow using just food, but it's veeerrry slow) and to build new Ark ships to colonize other parts of the galaxy. Also, they are a single-species empire (lore bits suggest that there is a slave/second-class population kept around for essence from which occasionally worthy prospects arise to take the Cloth themselves and become Vodyani, but mechanically all pops are Vodyani) and colonies you conquer become Hunting grounds and are slowly razed for essence per turn (while arks that are destroyed become remains you can reclaim and rebuild if you can reach them in time). Their faction quest revolves around the hunt for the Heretic that nearly destroyed the Vodyani in a civil war, and to crush the heresy he is trying to spread.

The Lumeris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z_Ug6piiqI&list=PLMifTffa0JyDa3ogFMBl0H9PkJCvyQcys&index=6

Basically the Space Mafia. The Lumeris are an amphibious race of traders, brokers, business dealers, smugglers and occasionally knee breakers. Though there is technically a traditional government, the de-facto rulers of the faction are the Four Families, who have their fingers in nearly all of the legitimate and illegitimate economic pursuits in the empire. "Technically" pacifists, that's only because large-scale war is bad for business, and in fact their affinity Planet Brokers can make them one of the fastest-expanding empires in the midgame. Instead of colony ships, The Lumeris can simply buy new outposts on systems they've discovered with dust, and then sell those outposts to other factions for a profit (this gets "really" fun when you realize you can start outposts on systems that already have another empire's outpost, kill their outpost using some the available tricks, and then turn around and sell your outpost for maximum trolling potential.) Their faction quest revolves around the primary leader, Jenestra Omalfi'Meos, and the nameless Kid that she uses as her wildcard in the schemes that will make the Lumeris, and the Meos family in particular, as the wealthiest power brokers in the galaxy.

The Riftborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8H8DedCW_I&list=PLMifTffa0JyDa3ogFMBl0H9PkJCvyQcys&index=2

Hailing from an alternate dimension that does not follow the same rules as our universe, the Riftborn were forced out of their existence when a rift was breached between their universe and the Endless galaxy. This caused a corruption that is destroying their reality, leaving with no choice but to send an expedition through the rift in a last-ditch effort to close it and heal their universe. Riftborn pops aren't grown with food, instead they build robotic shells with Industry to house Riftborn coming through the rift, who normally look like white geometric shapes (they still grow food for non-Riftborn pops however). Their Affinity, Continuum Sculptors, allows them to build and deploy time bubbles that can slow down, speed up, and eventually stop and fold time in a system. The faction quest revolves around them trying to find the answers to the rift that threatens to destroy their universe as they deal with this strange, horrifying place with it's black space, orbs of glowing light, this disorienting downward pull known as gravity, curved shapes, noises, smells and, most disturbing of all, organic life.

The Unfallen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHLH_e12o0&list=PLMifTffa0JyDa3ogFMBl0H9PkJCvyQcys

Hugging Tree Hippies, the Unfallen are the Community-created faction using Amplitude Games2gether system. The Unfallen were content with living a peaceful existence barely aware of even themselves until evidence of the space battle being fought over their homeworld came crashing down and showed them proof of a world beyond their own. Now they venture out to bring harmony to galaxy, for while everything begins with Fire, it does not have to end with Fire. Their Affinity is Celestial Vines; instead of traditional colony ships and influence bubbles, Unfallen use Vineships to "grow" capital V Vines to neighboring systems, after which they can colonize the planets there immediately with no outpost or build time. All Vines have to eventually link back to their homeworld of Koyasil, meaning that if they lose one system in a chain, the lose all the colonies connected to home by that chain. To help with that, they also have the ability to awaken a planet's Guardian, a special pop which will increase the system's approval and make it much, much harder for enemies to successfully invade. Their faction quest revolves around them finding their place in the galaxy, as well as questioning their own origins, something that they had never really done until they become aware of beings other than themselves.

Anyway, the game is out of Early Access. If you were an early adopter and haven't played in a while I highly recommend you try it again, they made a lot of tweaks with the release patch that fixed a lot of the complaints people had (including diplomacy options other than alliance and tech trading available from start and slowing down the crazy-fast rate of population growth and income from trading companies) They have also added planet-destroying doomsday weapons as well.

And to finish it off, The 4X trailers they did for launch week, which do a pretty good job of giving an basic overview of the game's mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm6Flesu_Fk&list=PLMifTffa0JyADhQUrvNzVjnlb0zaqeZex

steam_sig.png
Foefaller on

• Options
    Oh, and here's the very awesome launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBo-4f3b90o

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Endless Legend was good, but it made the same mistake most non-Civ 4x games make, where it overemphasized war and combat to the detriment of all other game systems.

I never played Endless Space 1, so I don't know how it compares. To those who have played both, is Space less combat-centric than Legend?

• Options
    Endless Legend was good, but it made the same mistake most non-Civ 4x games make, where it overemphasized war and combat to the detriment of all other game systems.

I never played Endless Space 1, so I don't know how it compares. To those who have played both, is Space less combat-centric than Legend?

It's be quite a while since I last played Endless Space, but I want to say that it might have been "more" combat-focused than EL was. What games I remember involved a lot of leapfroging to new conquests, even if I was playing a faction that was technically pacifist or science focused. Diplomacy was rather bareboned, trade possibly even less involved than in EL (no joke) and there were no minor factions or internal concerns other than what improvement to make to worry about.

As for ES2, you still have a never-at-peace faction with the Cravers, and minor factions will produce pirates until they are conquered or assimilated. However, the new truce system makes it very difficult to wipe out an empire in a single war; the more peace agreements you turn down, the less happy your empire gets until you finally concede, be it victory or defeat.

For those who don't like fighting all the time though, elections are more involved and interesting (and IMO important) than Empire Plans ever were. Trading has a lot more depth than it did before, with Trading Companies and subsidiaries and how they work, and you no longer have to research something just to be able to agree to stop shooting at each other where noone is looking. All but I think 2 factions can unlock a tech for pacifist conversion, to take over systems within your influence sphere (or for the Unfallen, Vines) without firing a shot. Finally, while there is currently no true diplomatic victory, Alliances collectively contribute to some victory conditions. In fact, there is some tweaking in that regard down the road, because right now you can get the conquest victory simply by making enough Alliances so you and all your allies reach the system threshold.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    The Horatio are pretty neat. Weve got a system we put minor races on to farm them up and use their genetic material to improve us.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    This game is so very, very pretty. I don't know if I actually like it yet, but I do know I like looking at it.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Just bought the game, trying to find any and all material to get me up to speed. Any good guides out now? I've been hitting youtube for tips and such, but there are still things like Manpower that I don't quite understand. I have a quest to get 800 but for some reason now my empire is losing manpower. I also got a bug in the tutorial where it was asking me to buy out a production but I didn't have the research to be able to buy anything out.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Alright how viable is it to play through this game while being completely shit at micromanaging ship design/upgrades?
    it felt like that was a massive brick wall for me in Endless Legend but I have learned nothing from that experience and am once again completely taken in by amplitude's ability to produce a gorgeous, well realised aesthetic

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Just bought the game, trying to find any and all material to get me up to speed. Any good guides out now? I've been hitting youtube for tips and such, but there are still things like Manpower that I don't quite understand. I have a quest to get 800 but for some reason now my empire is losing manpower. I also got a bug in the tutorial where it was asking me to buy out a production but I didn't have the research to be able to buy anything out.

Whenever you build new ships and colonies, your manpower reserve is drained to fill up their garrisons/troops, so if you need to build manpower for a quest, you need to stop building ships. Otherwise, how much you make per turn is dependent on your food, but befriending minor factions will also cause them to give you some of their manpower every turn.
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Alright how viable is it to play through this game while being completely shit at micromanaging ship design/upgrades?
    it felt like that was a massive brick wall for me in Endless Legend but I have learned nothing from that experience and am once again completely taken in by amplitude's ability to produce a gorgeous, well realised aesthetic

Short answer; All Lasers (and sometimes missiles), all the time.

Longer answer: ES2 has four weapon types; Kinetics, Lasers, Missile and Beams. Kinetics and Missile weapons are considered Projectile weapons and are best countered by armor, Lasers and Beams are considered Energy Weapons and are countered by shields. Kinetics do their full damage at short and medium range and 80% at long, Lasers do their full damage at long and medium range, and 80% at short. Missiles do their full damage at long, 80% at medium and cannot fire at short range. Beams do their full fuckton worth of damage at short, but cannot fire at any other range.

If all of that sounds confusing, here is the important thing to know:

When a space battle starts, both sides picks a tactic that gives a modifier to the fleet, and assigns a "range" to the up to 3 flotillas in each fleet. If opposing flotillas have the same chosen range, that's the range they are at for the entire battle. If they have different ranges, then those flotillas starts at the longest range first, and moves to the shorter range by about halfway through.

So, if you load all your ships with lasers and missiles, and always pick tactics like Barrage Fire where there is no short ranged flotilla, you'll be near or at max offensive potential for the first half of every fight. Bring a couple of Defender/Coordinator type ships loaded with a good mix of defenses and a self-repair module or two and you take very few losses as well. The AI doesn't do anything that fancy when it comes to ship comp and loadout, so as long as you stick to single player you don't have to worry about more complicated strategies that might through a wrench into that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    Thanks @Foefaller
    that's pretty much just the kind of cheat sheet I need.
    however now I have no excuse not to pick this up
    curses!

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    Jaunty wrote: »
    Thanks Foefaller
    that's pretty much just the kind of cheat sheet I need.
    however now I have no excuse not to pick this up
    curses!

Forgot one little snipit: kinetic slugs also provide a defensive bonus to missiles (idea is that they are shooting missiles as well as ships) so Lasers with a dash of slugs works as well as Lasers with a dash of missiles.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I have the hardest time with Horatio since their starting planet isn't fertile or temperate.

Missing out on both the science and the industry bonuses really hurts the early game.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    UE is a bit of a slow start because the purchase power of Dust and Influence is tremendous to overcome.

You only get +15dust and +16inf at the start and things cost 300 to 500 to instabuild, then the tier2 stuff costs 1k or 3k to build.
    Really, really channel your pops into producing something really good.

I made my own faction of UE and I got pops that provide +1 or +2 influence just for being alive and then setting my hero to producing influence as well to get something rolling, so each pop produces 5 or 7 influence.

Very very nice that I can outright buy techs with influence so I'm using dust to buy ships and influence to supplement my military tech, then just using industry to build the buildings.

also, wait a few turns to get 4 or 5 pop on your homeworld before you colonize. Your 'colony' ship just puts an outpost on the ground, then hurts your empire because it pulls growth from what planets you have to put the 1 pop on the outpost to turn it into a colony. spend dust or influence and get that outpost turned into a colony asap.

also make sure that you when you make your population and empire ideologies that something feeds into something else. since UE is generally industrious, I've made sure that science choices also feed into industry ideologies so that I don't have competing ideologies eff up my govnerment.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Just won a game with the United Empire with an economy victory 'cos my Dust got completely out of control when I set up a bunch of trade companies and made nice with the Lumeris on the opposite side of the galaxy to me.

Horatio got super uppity with me when I formed an alliance with my space mafia buddies. That's fine. It gave me a chance to showcase to the galaxy why it's a huge mistake to fuck with Emperor Zelevas:

Spoilered for big
    WNdyN7V.jpg
    IULWlF5.jpg
    QOgfRcq.jpg
    hmRXHnO.jpg

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    "I hear you like pretty things, Horatio. Take a look at this pretty big explosion outside your window..."

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Uhh...holy crap. D:

I might need this game now.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I have learned many things through my disastrous first few attempts.

Probes are life. Turn one fire them down all lames and really just anywhere.

Hero ships are tough. Make sure to upgrade them as the AI likes to leave component slots empty.

Vodyani can depopulate your outposts and minor civs and will do so with reckless abandon

• Options
    I wish there was more information around the systems in this game. I'm still a bit confused on how politics work, other than the dominant parties can pass laws. I'm trying out the Sophons and my law that let me research 1 tier ahead just disappeared for no reason I could see. Is there a limits to laws per party support? Also I'm pretty clueless around combat. I see more advanced tactics require more CP, but I'm not sure what CP is or how to get more of it.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    I have learned many things through my disastrous first few attempts.

Probes are life. Turn one fire them down all lames and really just anywhere.

Hero ships are tough. Make sure to upgrade them as the AI likes to leave component slots empty.

Vodyani can depopulate your outposts and minor civs and will do so with reckless abandon

I had trouble with my Vodyani start because their mechanics were unintuitive for me

But I recently depopulated a system, and immediately anchored one of my battle-arks, and I'm not sure I'm ever going to stop

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I wish there was more information around the systems in this game. I'm still a bit confused on how politics work, other than the dominant parties can pass laws. I'm trying out the Sophons and my law that let me research 1 tier ahead just disappeared for no reason I could see. Is there a limits to laws per party support? Also I'm pretty clueless around combat. I see more advanced tactics require more CP, but I'm not sure what CP is or how to get more of it.

Endless Space 2 Politics 101:

How elections go depends on three things:

1. What you've done.
    2. What is the makup of your empire
    3. Government type.

Almost every action and event promotes a specific ideology. Build a new warship? Empire moves to militarist. Finish that new colony? Everyone is slightly more Industrialist. You can see what sort of things promote what in the population overview (found in the politics screen) mousing over the List of each of the ideologies (you can also mouse over the party in the senate representation circle, but there needs to be an actual presence on the senate before it shows up there) Most improvements will also tell you in their popup what sort of ideology building them promotes. You can also see how a system is trending on the System level view (left size, halfway down the screen) and will get an Empire-wide poll four turns before election in your events ticker on the bottom right of the screen.

All of that, however, is filtered through your pops and their own political tendencies. Every pop has an ideology that they promote simply by being in your empire, moreso once they his a population of 10 or more, On top of that, how much an action shifts the beliefs of a system depends a lot on the species living there as well. Most (but not all) pops have a ideology that pushes them twice as much, an ideology that pushes them only half as much as normal, and an ideology that counts for both that ideology and another one. For example, Sophons are natural scientists that are doubly swayed by Scientists actions, only half as swayed by Religious ones, and Pacifist actions push them towards both Pacifist *and* Scientists.

Finally, there is the Government, which determines actions and their efficacy at election time. There are 4 types of governments in the game, each with their pros and cons.

Federations can spend influence to either give a major boost to a single faction (for getting an already popular party into law-passing territory without shaking up the establishment too much) or massive penalties to every other party (for making as close to absolutely sure that said party gets leadership, and nothing else) You can also just use official support for a minor boost to a single faction for no cost, but is normally only effective as tiebreaker between two parties really close in the polls.) Federations also get +2 colonies before hitting expansion disapproval, can pass the laws for the top 2 parties, and can eventually pass up to 3 laws + Forced Law (more on that later).

Republics work pretty similar, but they use Dust instead of Influence, to affect election outcomes. Laws are more potent in this government type, but the cap is the same, 2 lawmaking parties, 3 + Forced Laws.

Dictatorships get to chose the leading party at every election, regardless of who's living in it and what's been going on the last twenty turns. Three downsides though; First, Approval is based on how well the "winning" ideology matches that of the empire, second, only that party can make laws, and finally, you are limited to exactly 1 law + Forced for the whole game (unless you are Cravers, who get 2 to offset the faction they can never being anything "but" Dictatorship. They also don't take non-Craver pops when determining political leanings, because why listen to the slaves?)

Finally, Democracy, which is what Sophons start with. Democracy has only official support, and it's as ineffective as it is with Feds and Republics, But it comes with three sweet bonuses; First, you can enact the laws of the top 3 parties, not two, second, you will eventually hit the full cap of 6 laws on top of the Forced, and finally, every pop generates +1 approval for get such a massive say in government.

So why do you go through all this mess? Laws. Every party has a Forced Law, which is automatically enacted when they are the majority. To your case, the Scientists forced law is the ability to skip a single tech tier, which goes away when Scientists are no longer in charge (which because Democracy, maintaining it requires you to be more aware of your actions and empire makeup than normal since you can't buy the election like the others can) These are typically some of if not *the* most powerful effects laws can have, which is why Dictatorships can be a thing; On top of skipping tiers, Militarists can declare war for free (and become happier with each war) Religious can pretend Cold War "is" War and attack and invade ships in another empire's territory (though they still have to abide by closed borders for some reason) Industrialists get Dust for every new thing built, Pacifists make more with each peace agreement and alliance, and Ecologists? Can colonize any non-gas planet without the required tech (but suffer a massive penalty to FIDSI without said tech) As for the other Laws, the top tier laws that are comperable to the Forced Laws require that the party can maintain a presence through multiple elections; everything getting flipped around every election is a good way to make sure no party is entrenched enough to enacted their most potent laws. Even the apolitical laws that require no influence still require one of the parties to reach a certain "level" before you can pass them.

As for CP, it stands for Command Points, which is basically the cap to fleet size. Every military tech tier beyond the very first has at least one tech that increases it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Heh.

The Unfallen are basically Sun Praisers. Complete with a First Flame.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Thanks that helps a lot. I wish game companies would spend some $ on someone with technical writing and training experience to make better articles around this stuff. I suppose it's not worth it when the community will do it for free at some point. I'm noticing a lot of the videos and such are based around early early access and systems and GUID's have changed some since then.

If you get a chance to write something up around combat, I'd appreciate it. Things like weapon types vs Armor? Should I have a mix of weapon types? Ship types and fleet composition? Is it like other games where you might as well just pump out the biggest ships if you can? I'm reading this, it's older but does it hold up here at launch around invasions? https://games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forums/66-game-design/threads/20684-community-gdd-14-update-ground-battle

EDIT: Finished the article, it mentioned that different troop types have different % on destroying improvements. Is this pretty straightforward with Inf having the lowest % and Planes having the highest %?

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Hello, have you heard the good news about the Vodyani's lord and saviour, the Battle Ark?

So I finished my UE game the other day and thought I'd give the Vodyani a go next.

They're so broken they remind me of my favourite faction from Endless Legend, the Broken Lords. That's how broken they are.

By the 20 turn mark, I've essentially pooped out a 20,000HP ship bristling with weapons that has a 19 movement range. For free. How? Here's how!

I teamed the wheel and leecher ships up in a fleet, and threw in my first hero for additional backup. He's a guardian so that suits me just fine.

Then I set out with probes looking for a nearby minor civilization and found one just 3 jumps away. Then I just plundered the shit out of their Essence.

Altered the Ark design to be nothing but weapons, defenses, and engines, then pooped it out and set upon cleansing my entire constellation of opposition because who the hell is going to stop me now

Oh, and researching all of the colonisation techs immediately is your key to breaking the galaxy over your knee with these folks. Got an Ark with 4 pops on board? Got a system full of gas giants? You have already won, the others just don't know it yet.

I had a system of 5 snow/ice/arctic planets. I altered my colony Ark to all science modules. The Sophons cry themselves to sleep every night over their inadequacy now.

Oh, bonus for the Battle Ark - researched some sweet military technologies to make your fights even more hilariously one-sided? Parking and un-parking an Ark in a system is a completely free move, so just anchor, update it with dust, and away you go!

Edit because I can't gush enough about these magnificent bastards: any system improvements you build with a specific Ark are tied to the Ark and not the system. So if you decide to pull up sticks from your homeworld (which you totally should when you find a better system) it'll deploy with all your infinite supermarkets, xeno-industries and what have you, already built.

EvmaAlsar on
    6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Im having a love/hate relationship with the new shipyard schematic. On the one hand, hardpoints make ship decisions matter, on the other, i cant cram all the macrobatteries into destroyers and metal storm(hurricane) the fuck out of my enemies and their missiles while my cruisers fire a dyson sphere's worth of lasers at them.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Im having a love/hate relationship with the new shipyard schematic. On the one hand, hardpoints make ship decisions matter, on the other, i cant cram all the macrobatteries into destroyers and metal storm(hurricane) the fuck out of my enemies and their missiles while my cruisers fire a dyson sphere's worth of lasers at them.

Worth noting that different faction ships have different module loadouts. For example Vodyani tend to be a bit tanky, with a healthy amount of defensive modules on all their ships, even the offensive ones. Riftborn ships are naturally Min-Maxed; Their offensive ships are pretty much all weapons with maybe 2 slots that allow for other stuff, while their Defensive ships have just 1 weapon slot (that IIRC isn't even dedicated) and one pure support slot, with everything else available for defenses. Horatio ships, on the other hand are extremely flexible, with every slot having multiple options (and some letting you use anything there) but with fewer slots than the average, some amount of specialization is required to get the most out of them.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any database that has all the ship hulls and their slots, or I'd link it in the OP, so to find out any more, you're going to have to see it for yourself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Can anyone explain midgame terraforming/colonization?

In the tutorial Imperial run, I have yet to colonize anything inhospitable and have been playing as if I couldn't. Lets say I do colonize some Dust-y but Food-less planet. How do I make sure they get food? Do colonies in the same system or Empire share food?

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »

In the tutorial Imperial run, I have yet to colonize anything inhospitable and have been playing as if I couldn't. Lets say I do colonize some Dust-y but Food-less planet. How do I make sure they get food? Do colonies in the same system or Empire share food?

Food and Industry is system wide; all planets contribute and benefit from the system's total output.

That being said, the only time one system can benefit from the food of another system is during colonization, when an established colony will produce food for the outpost and send it to them via civilian transports. After that though, the system feasts or starves entirely on it's own, so you always want to make sure food production keeps up with food consumption, especially later on when some of your colonies will lack a Fertile world that can be the breadbasket of the system.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    depending on what your system is designed for, make sure to remove just enough food production after you max out the system population but keep it from starving. you'll save on dust expenses and get a rebate of dust for demo'ing the building. sure its only a few hundred dust a turn, but dust is dust.

an example would be a pure science system or dust system. they are not there to generate manpower for the imperial navies and armies so its not worth keeping all the extra food production around.

if you manage to find that golden breadbasket system of 4+ earth types, keep that thing pumping out all the food and note that I'll hate you for eternity.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    depending on what your system is designed for, make sure to remove just enough food production after you max out the system population but keep it from starving. you'll save on dust expenses and get a rebate of dust for demo'ing the building. sure its only a few hundred dust a turn, but dust is dust.

an example would be a pure science system or dust system. they are not there to generate manpower for the imperial navies and armies so its not worth keeping all the extra food production around.

if you manage to find that golden breadbasket system of 4+ earth types, keep that thing pumping out all the food and note that I'll hate you for eternity.

There is a late-game building that turns all excess food into industry, and the Lumeris version makes Industry AND Dust from food.

Also, don't forget about the Spaceport; why spend all that time painstakingly building up a new colony's population when you send 3-4 pops from a world vastly overproducing in food while you build up the improvements needed to keep them from starving when they show up?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Awesome. They fixed that from es1.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

As stated above, resources are pooled for the entire system, and contribute to growth of a single pop for the entire system, which will then be placed on one of the planets that is colonized. If you already have a Terran planet colonized, and there is an Arctic or a Lava present in the same system, colonizing them is OK because they will benefit from the Terran planet's food production. Alternatively, choosing a Lava or a Gas Giant as a STARTING colony is usually a bad idea(unless you have other pop growth methods, like riftborn, or are vodyani and bringing a super upgraded ark, etc.).

Options for increasing Food Production:
    -Use Spaceport from Established Colony(Colony2 or above) to send food-producing pops to the planet(Haroshems are usually good minor faction for this)
    -Put hero with +F abilities to govern the system(make sure they have +F before they have +%F, otherwise its kinda moot)
    -Build Food Producing Structures
    -If researched, use a +F specialization(like Evolved Soils)
    -If researched, consider terraforming to a planet type that supports more base food output(this is the most costly option, from both research, dust, and other impacts to your empire)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm having trouble with invasions. I created a 'troop' ship based on the medium hull so it has 1450 troops on it. I used it plus 4 or 5 other ships to siege a planet. However I lose every time and eventually I run out of troops. I get that it's suppose to be harder to conquer but I had 3x the troops vs defending and I'm barely making a dent. I've upgraded all my troops to almost max. Am I missing something?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I'm having trouble with invasions. I created a 'troop' ship based on the medium hull so it has 1450 troops on it. I used it plus 4 or 5 other ships to siege a planet. However I lose every time and eventually I run out of troops. I get that it's suppose to be harder to conquer but I had 3x the troops vs defending and I'm barely making a dent. I've upgraded all my troops to almost max. Am I missing something?

What's the troop composition? Odds are if you're late enough for medium hulls armored vehicles are available, which will F over purely infantry based-armies. You can change the ratio of troop types in the military screen where you make ship designs, opposite side of the screen. Might also upgrade them if you have the resources for it .

After that, there is the actual ground battle. There is a base cap to how much manpower both sides can use in a single turn, based on techs, so having a massive numerical advantage won't show up immediately. You can see how much manpower *is* being used at the top of the battle start screen. After that, there are 3 tactics available for attackers:

Bombardment causes a base damage to the defending army, as well as having a better-than-average chance of killing pops and destroying improvements (which can be both a good and bad thing, as you might knock out a defensive improvement or a pop that helps with defending worlds) however, the amount of manpower you use is cut by 30%, which is also a good or bad thing; probably not going to win that round, but you're not risking as many troops either.

Infiltrate gives your troops a massive health boost, but also a fairly big (but not quite equivalent) damage penalty. This is probably what you should be using most of the time, as it's the best tactic for slowly-but-safely grinding down the opposing defenders. It's a total meatgrinder however, so don't be surprised if you have to ferry back home for fresh troops after taking only a couple systems this way.

Blitz increased the amount of manpower being used, but also reduces the health of every troop. ONLY use this if the defenders have reached the point where they can't field their full complement of troops, because against equivalent-sized forces, the Blitzers will get their asses handed to them. That being said, it's the arguably best way to finish off a depleted garrison as quickly as possible.

The defenders have 2 tactics, which I can't remember the exact details of, but are:

Conscripts, which consumes a pop on that planet to gain an extra 200 manpower, which is added to the total manpower on the planet and will show up in the battle over the normal manpower limit. This tactic is pretty much why you don't use blitz most of the time, as 200 is about what Blitz gives at the start of the game, but these guys will still have full health and destroy the attackers because of it.

Protect system, which reduces the odds of things getting destroyed/killed, but also (I think) reduces incoming and outgoing damage.

You can also always just stay in orbit and siege the planet's manpower down. However, this can be fairly slow, as there is only 1 non-event module that increases a ship's ability to siege a planet, which means even if you load out a dozen ships with this thing, you're talking about only 150 or so extra manpower lost per turn, much lower than the attrition rate of ground combat. However, that will save you your own manpower in the long run, so it's pretty useful on heavly-populated systems with Conscripts to spare.

Finally, blowing up a planet kills of a massive chunk of the system's manpower, for reasons you can probably guess.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Another thing might also be... what faction are you and what faction are you fighting?

If you're Sophons invading Vodyani or Cravers, you're gonna get crushed pretty often when you're fighting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    1.0.5 patch is live

Looks like buffs for Cravers and Vodyani

Totally agree with Craver buff... not sure Vodyani needed a buff.
    [1.0.5] Patch Notes

[WIP]
    Destroying a gas planet is not going to trigger the cinematic – The FX will however be visible in the galaxy view

[IMPROVEMENT]
    Added a pop-up to inform players who play on the public 1.0.5 build with an old AMD card to play on the fixAMD branch
    Added several bits of missing localisation that remained in English until now
    Added a cinematic for the discovery of the Academy
    Added a failure tooltip on ships in the fleet list if the Drag'n'Drop between flotillas wasn’t possible
    Improved the planet destruction tooltip error message
    Fleets Labels for cargo Ships are now hidden

[UI]
    Changed the custom faction button from "Add" to "Custom Factions"
    Improved the Game Creation screen to show that the faction portrait is clickable

[FIXES]
    Fixed an issue with saves with broken deposits
    Fixed an issue with several faction traits that weren't functional with custom factions
    Fixed an issue with the Cravers Prime ship skin: it can now be used in custom factions with the Cravers affinity
    Fixed an issue in multiplayer where players remained stuck in the loading screen after quitting to main menu if they used custom factions created by the host
    Fixed an issue in Multiplayer where the nodes discovery status of remote players was not properly saved by the host
    Fixed an issue with the Implant Beacon battle action which was unavailable because the fleet was erroneously considered "busy"
    Fixed an issue with the end of turn timer not resolving encounters
    Fixed an exploit with technologies: they can’t be traded to prevent Scientific Victory exploits
    Fixed an issue with custom factions that couldn’t be created with more than 7 faction traits in Multiplayer
    Fixed some diplomacy localization lines for custom factions
    Fixed an issue with minor factions spending all their Dust on colonization that they couldn't achieve
    Players won’t be able to save during the end turn anymore
    Fixed vined systems bonus/malus only applied to Unfallen
    Fixed an issue with troops count
    Fixed an issue with the Unfallen vine action feedback which was displayed for all orbiting fleets
    Added a failure tooltip in galaxy view to inform the user when the curiosities that he wants to explore with probes are already in the queue construction
    Fixed an issue on the Asian font which corrupted them overtime
    Fixed double click on ship allowing to see ship design even if ship is not editable or hidden
    Fixed an issue with the feedback of Third Vodyani population collection bonus
    Fixed the Amateur and Kingpin Executive traits
    Fixed the Center of Light and Life and Harmony of the Heart improvements which had incorrect pre-requisites, allowing them to be built multiple times
    Removed Home System Depletion from the Cravers Affinity to move it to the population trait Extreme Foremen
    Changed the faction trait "Strange but Bad" faction trait cost from 10 to -10
    Fixed Apathetic/Fervent colonists traits
    Fixed Blockade Breakers trait
    Added the Naturalists population trait
    Fixed the Singularity creation and destruction sound effects
    Fixed the Luxuries Lottery system improvement
    Fixed the Righteous Fury law
    Fixed an issue where the failure condition didn't work properly in a competitive quest when players were the first to colonize a system
    Fixed an issue with a parasitic sound heard during the beginning of turn
    Fixed an issue with the final reward of the Riftborn main quest
    Fixed an issue where the Unfallen couldn't use the spaceport

[BALANCING]
    Reduced the effect of the Vodyani Dust for Alms improvement from 25% to 50% of Dust converted into Essence
    Changed the Papers Please hero skill: increased manpower refill rate gain on skills
    Changed the Conscription Genius hero skill: doubled manpower gain
    Changed the Bespoke Arms hero skill: increased damage given to the hero ship
    Changed the Sensitive Systems hero skill: changed vision range bonus from % to flat
    Fixed the Infallible Authority hero skill: it is now not as strong
    Increased the Riftborn colonizer cost, as they do not have to manage migration to outpost
    Decreased Cravers depletion points per turn from +2 to +1
    Added a temporary bonus to population collection level 3 for the Lumeris
    Fixed Permanent Monsoon tooltip: it now displays -10 Happiness
    Wonders & Unique buildings are now impacted by the game speed
    Fixed an issue that made conquest victory require a lower percentage of the galaxy to win while in an alliance
    Fixed the Lumeris buyout improvement "Workers' Campus" being allowed to be built multiple times

[AI]
    Fixed the AI abusive migration
    Fixed an issue with the AI stuck in an infinite battle
    Added transitions so the AI is not stuck in war when Peace or an Alliance is signed
    Fixed an error that occurred when the game was saved at the beginning of the turn

[TUTORIAL]
    Fixed an issue where 3 conflicting tutorial windows were displayed in the star system view
    Fixed an issue where in the Beginner tutorial the empire screen was displayed 1 turn too early
    Fixed an issue where the laws tutorial window was displayed even in galaxy view
    Fixed an issue with the battle tutorial that remained stuck

[OPENGL/ DX10]
    Fixed an issue for Mac players: ground units now appear properly

[QUESTS]
    Fixed an issue where the Academy quest chapter 1 part 1 didn't resolve like a normal competitive quest
    Fixed an issue where the Academy quest on minor factions didn't trigger the next quest after it failed
    Fixed an issue with the Vodyani quest chapter 1 part 2 where the second choice didn't work with custom factions
    Fixed an issue with the Vodyani quest chapter 1 where the objective used to be obsolete
    Fixed an issue with the United Empire "The Cult of the Strongman" quest where the player didn't receive any reward upon completion
    Fixed an issue where spawning fleets to destroy in Academy quest 3-B were too far from the Academy
    Added a missing pre-requisite to the pre-Metaplot Academy quests to make sure Academy must be found in the first place
    Fixed an issue with the 10/10 With Spice quest: it will now be triggered only after the 50th turn (in normal speed)
    Fixed an issue where the Academy quest "Build the Academy" didn't work as expected, preventing players from reaching the next Academy chapter
    Fixed and issue where the Academy quest was spawning Pirate fleets instead of the Vodyani fleets as suggested in the lore
    ENFER ship can be dragged into the hangar in the Sophons main quest

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've buffed Infantry and Armor to the 4th level each. I'm playing Sophon's so I know Infantry takes a hit, but I adjusted my ratios to 15% Infantry, 15% Air, and the rest Armor. I'm attacking the Riftborn right now. The game is set on easy while I learn, which is why it makes me think I'm missing something. I think I remember seeing the Blue module for siegeing from orbit, I'll have to give it a try.

It's weird that on easy I'm at war pretty much all the time. If it isn't the Tree people and their weird vines growing into my worlds, it's one or 2 other factions. Hell one faction is almost at war with me because of my fleets, I need a diplomacy button to tell them I'm at war with 3 other races and of course I'm going to have big fleets lol. While I get that it should take a lot of effort to take over a world, it feels a bit rough right now. I'm spending 20-30 turns maybe take a system, especially if they have defensive buildings. And it's not like their fleets are a challenge, those I wipe out without issue. Just feels like a real grind when Endless Legend it felt balanced. I had a chance to defend and keep an invader out for 4-5 turns but then it was pretty much over.

• Options
    Siege ships seem to be the ticket. I was able to load out a Hunter ship with 4 siege modules and built 2 of them. Just those 2 ships lowered my siege time from around 20 turns to 4-5 turns. At this point I think siege ships will be way more important than troop ships. It's kind of crazy that maxed out ground troops (inf and armor) would have taken around 20 turns to take a planet (plus possibly refills) and 2 mildly cheap siege ships knocked the defense down in 1/4 the time.

I also love how everyone is warring with me and I've already gotten 2 warnings about how another faction is about to win. I hope Amplitude can do some AI tweaking so that when a victory notice goes out, the AI should shift priorities.

One more question, is there anyway to stop or counter act a Sphere of Influence take over? The tree people have vines around 2 of my planets and now they are slowly moving towards joining them.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Siege ships seem to be the ticket. I was able to load out a Hunter ship with 4 siege modules and built 2 of them. Just those 2 ships lowered my siege time from around 20 turns to 4-5 turns. At this point I think siege ships will be way more important than troop ships. It's kind of crazy that maxed out ground troops (inf and armor) would have taken around 20 turns to take a planet (plus possibly refills) and 2 mildly cheap siege ships knocked the defense down in 1/4 the time.

I also love how everyone is warring with me and I've already gotten 2 warnings about how another faction is about to win. I hope Amplitude can do some AI tweaking so that when a victory notice goes out, the AI should shift priorities.

One more question, is there anyway to stop or counter act a Sphere of Influence take over? The tree people have vines around 2 of my planets and now they are slowly moving towards joining them.

As far as I know, the only way to stop it once it's started is to go to war with the faction in question. I think the AI won't do it if you are in an alliance either (IIRC you'll still get the conversion popup, but they won't go through with it... I think) You stop it in the first place by out-producing the influence of your neighbors, but the Unfallen can just lay down Vines and do it that way, best to keep the hugging trees out of your systems with closed borders if they're your neighbors, unless you're planning to ally with them.

Of course, that's only for the short term. Long-term solution is to take the system that's generating the influence bubble that's taking over your system. With Unfallen, that means taking any system(s) that will break the chain of vines from your worlds to the Unfallen capital.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks, yeah it's the Unfallen. I'm already at war with 2 factions and 1 other is about to win, so I'll just try and ally with them and see if that works.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    My Unfallen empire is being humped by Pirates, seemingly coming from an area without lanes. How do I shut them up? In that region, the Voyandi are there. Are they hiring them or are they just the equivalent of Barbarians?

EDIT - The primary ship I see is called Positron, and now there are three of them. What is a counter to these things?

Cantido on