As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] D2 Beta: July 18 for PS4 Preorders; July 19 for XB1; Open Beta July 21-25!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Erevar wrote: »
    The class abilities they showed for D2 seem kinda.. imbalanced?

Titans: half-height wall, duck and instant reload for 10 or 20 seconds (or maybe longer, who knows?)
    Warlocks: pair up with a Titan buddy and make him do more damage at his wall, or continually heal him
    Hunters: once every 30 seconds you can flip out and instant reload, probably off a cliff, but definitely out of line of sight of whatever you were shooting at.

Titans actually have two options

half-height piece of cover to crouch fire over
    huge wall to block off door/hallways

quick google search image of it:
    mqdefault.jpg

ObiFett on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Rude...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    But the big wall doesn't give insta-reload, right?

Also, Titans/Warlocks have two differently useful class abilities. Hunters get one meh one and one "who the hell would ever care about that" one.

Still thinking I might change "mains" <_<

Erevar on
    KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options

I mean I assume it has other perks associated with it?

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

don't think so. the reload perk we've seen specifically mentioned peeking out of cover, so can't see that working with the full shield.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I looked it up.

Titan (40sec CD, unknown duration):
    • Towering Barricade: A large Barrier that can be used for cover or to seal off dangerous areas
    • Rally Barricade: A small barrier that allows you to peek over while aiming down the sights and instantly reloads your equipped weapon when you take cover

Both useful in different situations.

Warlock (55sec CD, unknown duration):
    • Healing Rift: Conjure a well of Light that continuously heals those inside it
    • Empowering Rift: Conjure a well of Light that increases the attack power of those inside it.

Hunter (17sec CD):
    • Gambler's Dodge: Dodging near enemies generates melee energy
    • Marksman's Dodge: Automatically reload your equipped weapon when dodging

Shit and meh-okay.

Info from this reddit post:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/6c1scy/i_typed_out_the_complete_skill_trees_for/

Edit: added cooldowns

Erevar on
    KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    The Dodge to melee energy would be super useful for punching a bitch out though...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I play at 2 sensitivity - I *HATE* being in melee range. x.x

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Destiny 2 - Motorboat Kitten as an all titan run. Not too far off the classic roll call.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    It does annoy me that Dawnblades can literally spec into an air dodge that can more than likely be used far more often than the 'new' Hunter ability based dodge.

But Nightstalker was more my thing than Gunslinger was.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Cool as the new subclasses are, I'm really gonna miss Ward of Dawn. It was so useful.
    We won't have Ward of Dawn like in D1, but we will still have the functions of Ward of Dawn as long as a Titan/Warlock are in the party:

All Titans can choose to have a tall piece of cover to replace the protection/cover function of Ward of Dawn.

Isn't the mobile wall Striker-only? Did I misunderstand that? It's tinted blue, so I assumed it was a Striker thing. Which I figured was sweet, because Strikers needed a tanky ability.

Also, the wall cracks over time and will break, I believe, though it seems to be able to take a lot of heat.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    DrellokDrellok Bogey's Turrible Wingman Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »

Wha? This last night after I left or somethin?

XBL: DrellokTV
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Cool as the new subclasses are, I'm really gonna miss Ward of Dawn. It was so useful.
    We won't have Ward of Dawn like in D1, but we will still have the functions of Ward of Dawn as long as a Titan/Warlock are in the party:

All Titans can choose to have a tall piece of cover to replace the protection/cover function of Ward of Dawn.

Isn't the mobile wall Striker-only? Did I misunderstand that? It's tinted blue, so I assumed it was a Striker thing. Which I figured was sweet, because Strikers needed a tanky ability.

Also, the wall cracks over time and will break, I believe, though it seems to be able to take a lot of heat.

I think we saw some walls dropped in the story mission but it's unclear if those were from friendly Strikers or Defenders.

I really like the portable wall for Strikers as it lets them go through an enemy pack, establish far side cover and actually create a crossfire against them. That just feels quintessentially Striker-ish to me.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

The Titan wall, Warlock puddle, and Gunslinger shuffle are the new class abilities that are sub-class agnostic. =)

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options

All classes (Titan/Warlock/Hunter) now have their own support ability. That mobile cover is useable by all Titans.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Yeah those Hunter abilities are crap outside of PVP.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I play at 2 sensitivity - I *HATE* being in melee range. x.x

eM9yseu.gif

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I dunno, Twilight Garry has saved me a good bunch of times in PvE. That hunter dodge could be good as well. And it's on a much faster cd then the titan and warlock abilities.

cB557 on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I looked it up.

• Towering Barricade: A large Barrier that can be used for cover or to seal off dangerous areas
    • Rally Barricade: A small barrier that allows you to peek over while aiming down the sights and instantly reloads your equipped weapon when you take cover

• Empowering Rift: Conjure a well of Light that increases the attack power of those inside it.

Hunter (17sec CD):

Shit and meh-okay.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/6c1scy/i_typed_out_the_complete_skill_trees_for/

I wonder how many people even know there's a cover mechanic in Destiny 1? I also wonder how they are adjusting level design to make that chest-high cover option not seem completely useless.

I'm all for dodge roll. Hopefully all hunter variants have it. :pop:

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    As said above, those are the class abilities. All hunters have those dodges. All Titans have the barricade. All Warlocks have the rift thingies.

• Options
    I looked it up.

Hunter (17sec CD):

Shit and meh-okay.

I wonder how many people even know there's a cover mechanic in Destiny 1? I also wonder how they are adjusting level design to make that chest-high cover option not seem completely useless.

I'm all for dodge roll. Hopefully all hunter variants have it. :pop:

i don't think they're doing anything about level design to promote use of cover. they're just tying that feature to the use of the waist high shield.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

That hunter dodge/reload completely bypasses reload speed. That has the potential to be crazy useful in a boss fight where there's a sustained DPS phase. I think that its really going to depend on the damage to reload speed of the heavy weapons in the game.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »

That hunter dodge/reload completely bypasses reload speed. That has the potential to be crazy useful in a boss fight where there's a sustained DPS phase. I think that its really going to depend on the damage to reload speed of the heavy weapons in the game.

Except the Titan can camp his shield and get instant reloads for as long as the shield is active. Hunters can do it every 17 seconds.

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular

Except the Titan can camp his shield and get instant reloads for as long as the shield is active. Hunters can do it every 17 seconds.

But does the Titan look frabjous while doing so?

I think not, good penguin.

• Options

But you have to be behind the shield to have that happen, where as the hunter can do it on the fly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

The ability text specifies reloads "when entering cover", so is that reloading every time you let off the left trigger and crouch again or do you have to move away from the wall first and then go back in cover to trigger it? I didn't see enough in the videos to tell.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I'm sure theres an internal cooldown to the instant reload on entering cover perk.

If theres not, there will be in the first patch

• Options
    Also I've heard when you reload dodge it plays the jingle from a few dollars more. You know, just cause.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Rumors saying Trials of Osiris is becoming Trials of the Nine, so probably similar format but with The Nine flavored gear. While I'm sure the Egyptian armor will return in the Osiris expansion, I really hope this new gear is as cool. Won't be out at launch but before first expansion.

• Options
    I'm sure theres an internal cooldown to the instant reload on entering cover perk.

If theres not, there will be in the first patch

https://youtu.be/ei04d29_yFI?t=147

2:27 into the video if the timestamp doesn't work. There doesn't appear to be any cooldown, and he gets 4 reloads in 20 seconds of barrier uptime.

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Oh, I had no idea those abilities were subclass-agnostic. I kinda dislike that. I mean, the Titan and Warlock ones are cool enough that they'll be useful in a ton of situations, so that's nice, but... I like differentiating factors between my subclasses. I want picking a subclass to feel totally important, rather than, "Oh, you always get X." But I'll reserve judgment until I see how it all feels in practice.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I join a Control match and suddenly get spammed by dozens of messages. I end up dropping because I thought someone was trolling me by putting my name on LFG.

Turns out it was a Bungie Bounty match. Whoops.

• Options
    hahaha

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    What is a Bungie Bounty match? Is it one of those matches where you can get that rare emblem they sometimes mention during TWAB?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh, I had no idea those abilities were subclass-agnostic. I kinda dislike that. I mean, the Titan and Warlock ones are cool enough that they'll be useful in a ton of situations, so that's nice, but... I like differentiating factors between my subclasses. I want picking a subclass to feel totally important, rather than, "Oh, you always get X." But I'll reserve judgment until I see how it all feels in practice.

Maybe by the time release comes around, each subclass will get unique modifiers to them? Like Warlock always drops its well of light, but while Dawnblade gets healing and damage buffs, maybe Voidwalker will get healing + faster power recharge, and stormcaller will get healing + ammo regeneration or something.

EDIT: I also want to say that I think Towering Barricade is awesome. When running Kingsfall a couple weeks ago, for the Warpriest fight kept having an issue with like 1 stupid acolyte going laser but being behind lots of cover and out of sight of everyone so no one actually knew and just sitting there for a minute or more minute until we hit the Boss DPS phase when it would finally come out of cover and nuke us. Being able to toss up a Towering Barricade there at the start of Boss DPS to prevent anything from being able to attack us would have saved like 3 or 4 wipes on that fight.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options

Maybe by the time release comes around, each subclass will get unique modifiers to them? Like Warlock always drops its well of light, but while Dawnblade gets healing and damage buffs, maybe Voidwalker will get healing + faster power recharge, and stormcaller will get healing + ammo regeneration or something.

yeah, i can see sub-classes having variations on a theme. so the Striker gets a shield and the Sentinel gets the bubble as its defensive ability. would make sense for what is essentially an updated Defender.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The Hunter Class ability as shown seems distinctly Gunslinger flavored, so it definitely feels like there could be subclass variations to those abilities. And I don't think we saw ability trees for anything other than Dawnblade/Striker/Gunslinger, right?

• Options
    note to self: when you get a pulse rifle you like, don't dismantle it after the 50 kills bounty is complete.

• Options
    Luke Smith apparently confirmed no dedicated servers for any version of the game.

• Options
    Luke Smith apparently confirmed no dedicated servers for any version of the game.

That's.... a thing.