Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Andersen stood on his fucking head in this otherwise terrible, terrible game.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Dear Oilers,

Why are you such garbage?

Oh, wait, it's because you didn't do anything to address your massive gaps on D, RW and backup goaltending that even the most uninformed blogger knew were gonna be problems. Instead, you decided to gamble on every single young player being better this season, and panic-signing Kris Russell to a 4 year, 4M a year contract WITH A NMC. Fire McLellan, fire Chiarelli.

I cannot wait to waste 8 years of Connor McDavid. Poor kid.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Dear Oilers,

Oh, wait, it's because you didn't do anything to address your massive gaps on D, RW and backup goaltending that even the most uninformed blogger knew were gonna be problems. Instead, you decided to gamble on every single young player being better this season, and panic-signing Kris Russell to a 4 year, 4M a year contract WITH A NMC. Fire McLellan, fire Chiarelli.

Oilers gonna' Oiler.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Its like hearing about the islanders through a glass darkly

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Dear Oilers,

It is actually even worse. If you look at the fancystats, Chiarelli has gotten rid of almost all of the top players on the team who were scoring when not on McDavid's line in the last 2 years. It's absurd when you actually look at it. He's a terrible GM who gives out contracts that are too long to guys that aren't worth it.

Now, here's what I'll say though: they are not as bad as their record. They pumped 51 shots at Carolina yesterday, but Cam Ward played like it was 2006. The Oilers had a bad pinch and got scored on 20 seconds in, and then took a too many men penalty and were down 2-0 4 minutes in. Brossoit would like 1, maybe 2 of the 5 goals he gave up back, but the loss yesterday isn't on him.

the RW depth issue is real. No denying that. The defense.... Chiarelli panicked when Sekera was going to miss the first 35 games or so of the year by signing Russell to 4x4, which is dummmmmb. Not for this year, but for years 3 and 4 of that deal. But otherwise the defense it not terrible. They could probably use one more depth guy.

The real issue is that they haven't been able to get a save from Talbot. That's going to correct itself.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I don't get the Eberle trade either. Even as a salary dump, you would think they would have gotten more for him, and the same for Taylor Hall last year.

I don't really get why Chiarilli has any kind of reputation. This is the guy who traded away Seguin in Boston because... he didn't like his attitude? Having a talented kid help you win the Cup just won't stand?

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    So this doesn't look like the year the Coyotes finally start making some progress. At least the game I went to saw them earn their only point.

Edit: Does anyone have any experience with using Sling to watch local hockey games. I don't have cable and nhl.tv blacks out regional broadcasts

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Leafs have 5 shots so far this 1st period.

Leafs have 4 goals so far this 1st period.

This is going to be a game.

Characters
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Dear Oilers,

He's a terrible GM who gives out contracts that are too long to guys that aren't worth it.
    Yeeeeerrrrrrp
    -from every Bruins fan

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    There’s always worse....

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular

So this doesn't look like the year the Coyotes finally start making some progress. At least the game I went to saw them earn their only point.

Edit: Does anyone have any experience with using Sling to watch local hockey games. I don't have cable and nhl.tv blacks out regional broadcasts

Looks like Habs and Yotes are going to be tank rivals this year!

Habs managed to loose 6-2 to a severly injured Ducks team. How much worse can you get?

I didn't had high expectations for the Habs this year but I didn't expect them to be 30th out of 31 either.. Such a trainwreck!

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Wait, there's a team worse than the Habs?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I don't think so. They Yotes are actually playing much better than their record makes them out to be.

I feel bad for Price, because people are going to be blaming him for shit that's not his fault. People are either going to say he's a shit goalie for letting in all those saves (spoiler: goalies as consistently good as price don't just lose their magic overnight), or blame him for taking up so much cap space and preventing the habs from getting a good d-core (spoiler: the habs have 8 mil of extra cap space anyway and they're just not putting together a good team).

• Options
    Anyone seriously claiming Carey Price is a bad goalie is an idiot.
    His D core is letting him down and the forwards need to score goals.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Canadiens' problems are 100% on Bergevin.

I've given Sakic crap for not doing much in the offseason, Montreal had 2 key free agents to re-sign in the offseason and Bergevin had both of them walk. And for what? To save cap space he's not using?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    I almost never blame the goalie for a goal, unless it was a result of the opposing team having possession from their zone all the way in and it was a weak shot.

I will always blame the defense first for not clearing the zone/turning the puck over/not skating and causing one of the prior two things to happen that wouldn't have happened if they had put in even a modicum of effort.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    While I mostly agree, there was one goal against the Leafs the other night that I a man entirely comfortable blaming on McElhinney:

Could the other Leafs have helped prevent that situation? Sure. Should any goalie in a pro or semi-pro league fall for that anymore? No.

• Options
    That is one of the goals that I'm talking about. Not shown, is that 5-10 seconds before that clip starts, someone on Toronto's defense had control of the puck in the zone, stopped skating, lifted it gingerly to not even centre directly into the hands of a Detroit player while 4 Leafs decided to change en-masse, letting them skate in.

So no, that's also not on the goalie.

Characters
  • Options
    This game has more turn-overs than shots, I'm sure.

Characters
  • Options
    Wasn't Jimmy Howard good once? If you give up 4 goals to this edition of the Canucks, that's pretty awful.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I think it's more Jimmy Howard had the second best defenseman to ever live playing 25 minutes a game in front of him once.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Yeah, thought that could be it.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    "At some point since the last stoppage of play, the puck could have conceivably been played better" is a pretty useless standard for absolving a goalie.

• Options
    Agreed. Mistakes are going to happen, or be forced. The entire point of having a goalie is that no team is going to have perfect puck possession

I will still grant that some goals are not the goalies "fault" but I'll save those for ones where the players in front fail basic jobs like clearing screens from in front of the net or obstruct the view themselves. If the goalie can see it, it's their job to stop it. Now, I'm not expecting them to be perfect either, hockey is a game played predominantly by humans after all.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Did we have to resign Polak for a year?

Also:

Hainsey, Zaitsev? You're forbidden from breaking. You can't break. We will rebuild you as robots if we have to.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    I put the odds on Vegas claiming Niemi on waivers at approximately 110%.

Niemi isn't really great anymore, but Vegas is down to their AHL goalie with what should be an ECHL goalie as a backup, and I don't think they even have another goalie in the system yet.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I think re-signing Polak makes sense if Babcock has settled on which of Borgman and Rosen he wants in the lineup. That lets then have Polak as the spare D and whichever of them aren't in the lineup (Rosen, probably) can go down to the Marlies and get regular playing minutes instead of sitting in the press box

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I think re-signing Polak makes sense if Babcock has settled on which of Borgman and Rosen he wants in the lineup. That lets then have Polak as the spare D and whichever of them aren't in the lineup (Rosen, probably) can go down to the Marlies and get regular playing minutes instead of sitting in the press box

Give the usage above, I guess that would be Rosen, yea.

Characters
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You're welcome for Hainsey. The man was a stalwart during the playoffs last season.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    What the fuck kind of concussion evaluation happens in less than 30 seconds?
    This TO v LA game had Jonathan quick go off for less than a minute after his own D-Man clocked him in the head.

What a total farce.

edit:
    I don't care if removing quick is a good thing for the leafs. It's plainly embarrassing for the league that claims to care about concussions.

Trainer: You ok man?
    Quick: yeah sure
    Trainer: he's good to go!

Aridhol on
  • Options
    It's a mess is what it is.

Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    So does the Sheahan trade solve Pittsburgh's centre issues, or do they claim Eric Fehr back from waivers?

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    That was uh, a very close skate to the eye.

Characters
  • Options
    That's a shitty goal.

Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    quick had time there...

edit: bullshit. If it was goaltender interference you need to blow the whistle.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    We are now in the hell of endless reviews

Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I can't stop laughing

Edit: Leafs win, woo.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Hey Quick, maybe don't clothesline an opposing player with two minutes left

Or, you know, do

• Options
    I love how concussion protocol doesn't actually apply to goalies.

• Options
    but the league is totally serious about preventing head injuries

This discussion has been closed.