As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Jim Rutherford has officially lost his entire goddamn mind

(Canucks get Tanner Pearson in return, but that doesn’t matter, even if Pittsburgh got him for “future considerations” that would still be a terrible deal, he and his contract are that bad.)

These advanced stats...like I have no idea what I'm even looking at here. When Gudbranson plays, here are some red and blue blotches on the ice.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Addition by subtraction, AKA the only way the Canucks ever improve their team at the trade deadline.

If you prefer old-school stats, Guddy also has the worst plus-minus rating in the league right now. He's been bad since Vancouver acquired him, but he's been an absolute tire fire all season and I can't believe that there was a team in the league that was willing to give up an asset to get him, especially with two years left on his contract.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Okay, but what are those blue and red blobs?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    the blobs are where each team takes shots from when that player is on the ice, darker = more shots from there.

I got this part entirely wrong. Updating momentarily with a better explanation (worse for the Penguins though)
    Regions from which a team generates more than the league average rate of shots are shown in red;
    Regions from which a team generates less than the league average rate of shots are shown in blue;
    Regions from which a team generates shots at the league average rate of shots are shown in white;

Top = offensive zone, bottom = defensive zone.

So with Gudbranson on the ice Vancouver got waaaaay less shots on net from in close, and more from way back at the point. That’s bad.

On the other side of the ice, teams got more shots on goal from most of the ice, and a lot more from the top of the circle on the left, and a whole path in towards the net on the right (Gudbranson’s side)

The %s are whether that team gets more scoring chances or less compared to the league average. So a positive number isn’t the top part is good (their team gets more offensive chances) while a negative number in the bottom part is good (the other team gets less chances to score). These numbers are controlled (as much as possible in such a random game) for factors like quality of teammate and competition, making this one of the better mathletes in the business’ best attempt at isolating an individual player’s impact.

unfortunately both of those numbers go the wrong way with Gudbranson, meaning he makes his team considerably worse at both ends of the ice relative to a league-average player.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    you can look at this as addition by subtraction for the Canucks, sure. I would rather look at it as getting out from under two more years of literally one of the worst defenders in the league. Another stats guy I follow has Gudbranson as the second worst D, with only Ottawa’s Ben Harpur worse.

• Options
    here’s Mark Stone by comparison, to show what a good (great) player looks like with the same graphic

Lots of dark red in close to the net up top = way more shots, and much more dangerous ones. Dark blue in front of the the net on the bottom means he’s almost as good at preventing dangerous chances as he is at creating them.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to miss him on my team, but he's always come off to me as a smart, interesting guy in interviews.
    I genuinely hope he finds his game in Pittsburgh.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Thanks for that help!

• Options
    I'm not going to miss him on my team, but he's always come off to me as a smart, interesting guy in interviews.
    I genuinely hope he finds his game in Pittsburgh.

Oh, yeah

I haven’t heard anything bad about him as a person or a teammate, but neither of those things are worth spending $4mil cap hit on

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

EDIT: I forgot to actually put in the tweet

Schide on
  • Options
    Seriously, what is going on with Rutherford? Is someone blackmailing him? Is he a double agent for another Metropolitan team? Brain worms?

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Pretty sure he just tied up Sam Ventura and left him in a basement at some point early last year.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Tonight in their first game post-Gudbranson, the Canucks beat Anaheim 4-0. It was their first shutout win of the season. Good luck with that, Pittsburgh.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I’m convinced the Avs are never going to win in OT ever again. That’s 12 OT losses this season.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Tonight in their first game post-Gudbranson, the Canucks beat Anaheim 4-0. It was their first shutout win of the season. Good luck with that, Pittsburgh.

...and luke schenn was excellent, with a 58% corsi, 3 shots on goal, and he allowed no controlled zone entries on his shifts. between schenn, sautner and gudbranson's ghost, the d looks amazingly refreshed. and the top pair are both still out!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I thought the Ducks outskated the Canucks last night, especially the first two periods. The score was based on puck luck and goaltending.

This will be my first NHL playoffs in over a decade with no rooting interest. I'm looking forward to being able to cast a broad eye and appreciate all the stories.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I thought the Ducks outskated the Canucks last night, especially the first two periods. The score was based on puck luck and goaltending.

i suppose, and at first i felt that way after the canucks' 4-0 loss to the isles a couple of nights earlier; they outshot them by a wide margin, putting up 30 in the first two periods. but they were chasing early goals and only wound up bleeding out further. the NHL's too good a league for teams to not usually mount a comeback: that's where score effects come in. ultimately it's cold comfort saying a team had better hustle if they were trailing for fifty minutes

canucks are close. most of their games have been tightly fought. the powerplay is underperforming: that's a problem, but one that can be solved. the defence is shallow, but it's starting to feel cohesive even without the top pair. i don't see them in the playoffs but the fight will do them good, so i hope the push is a strong one

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    The Oilers are a very bad team.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »

Tell me something I didn’t know 6 years ago

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Hey guys, did you know the sky is blue?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    oldmanken wrote: »

Tell me something I didn’t know 6 years ago

hey 2013 Quovadis? I have some great news. "Fail for Nail" is going to succeed, and the Oilers are about to get the 1st overall pick for the 3rd year in a row! Also, Taylor Hall is the real deal and is going to win the Hart in a few years.

• Options
    John Tavares’ first trip back to Long Island tonight

this should be interesting

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

And Tampa vs Boston! They're both on 12 game point streaks. Tampa hit 50 points this season, twice, before the Senators hit it once!

Good night for hockey

Edit: Aaaannnnndddd Tampa Boston is nationally blacked out on NHL.tv. Fuck

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    The TOR/.NYI game is a fun watch - feels like a playoff game

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Burtletoy wrote: »

And Tampa vs Boston! They're both on 12 game point streaks. Tampa hit 50 points this season, twice, before the Senators hit it once!

Good night for hockey

Edit: Aaaannnnndddd Tampa Boston is nationally blacked out on NHL.tv. Fuck

@Burtletoy NBCSN has it.

chromdom on
  • Options
    Probably not borne out by statistics, but I feel Toronto just loves giving up shorthanded goals.

• Options
    oh jesus, Johnny Boychuk got a skate up under the chin/neck and immediately left the ice with a towel held to his neck

he left under his own power though and I couldn’t see blood so hopefully it’s not to bad but holy shit that was close to being horrifically awful

• Options
    I don't love what I am seeing from the Leafs here, but hot damn, the Islanders are putting in a hell of a shift tonight.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

It sure was something! Think the Islanders has a little more pep in their step tonight?

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    That's the islanders that got to first place. Sure can't wait for all the torannah pearl clutching articles that were written on monday

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Apparently today Brad Marchand played in his 666th career game, having 666 career penalty minutes......with the Bruins opponent being the Devils.

• Options
    in honour of the occasion, Linus Ullmark did a Marchand impersonation

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Since the Avs affiliate the Eagles are only an hour drive away now I caught an ahl game yesterday and it was AWESOME.

Like I'm totally an advocate for less fights and concussions but it was like watching old time hockey. It was like watching a game five to ten years ago. Hard finishing hits, fights, scrums after the whistle. The opposing goalie got pissed and threw his equipment down the ice in protest.

Just pure emotion.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Ted Lindsay died at 94. Hockey Hall of Famer, four time Cup Champion, helped found the first NHLPA.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Also refused to attend his own Hall of Fame ceremony because wives and family weren't allowed; the rule got changed the next year.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    you can look at this as addition by subtraction for the Canucks, sure. I would rather look at it as getting out from under two more years of literally one of the worst defenders in the league. Another stats guy I follow has Gudbranson as the second worst D, with only Ottawa’s Ben Harpur worse.

He really was awful. Big, but not tough. Which would be fine if he could skate, was good defensively or even offensively. There was a theory floated around that basically old school hockey men love him because he's big and apparently handsome.

It would be amusing if Benning had tried to get McCann from Pit for Gudbranson, since that's who he offloaded to Florida for him.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    You mean first line winger Jared McCann?

I don't think he was available

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    You mean first line winger Jared McCann?

I don't think he was available

Yeah obviously, but it's the sort of dumb thing Benning would ask.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Picture from when I took my daughter to the Ottawa game and got a meet and greet with Sergachev and Cernak.

K12YUB7b.jpg

50433.png?1708759015
This discussion has been closed.