As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Episode 6-8 was soo good @EmperorSeth
    I also teared up a bit during Tuba's funeral

Grace is on a redemption arc, right?
    Really worried about Simon tho...

Also enjoyed seeing them meet Amelia/Lena Headey and learning who their true conductor really was.

LOL definitely - the winged snake people are the true protagonist

PirateQueen on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Next season's protagonist
    is probably Amelia.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The CW is going to make a live-action Powerpuff Girls show, revolving around the three being disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having been heroes when they were kids.

dtVlbIP.gif

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The CW is going to make a live-action Powerpuff Girls show, revolving around the three being disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having been heroes when they were kids.

dtVlbIP.gif

that sounds amazing to me, a noted good ideas liker.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The PPG started as a superhero parody and it will continue to be a superhero parody in 2021. But wasn't this cartoon rebooted already and didn't stick?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The PPG started as a superhero parody and it will continue to be a superhero parody in 2021. But wasn't this cartoon rebooted already and didn't stick?

Twice.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

dtVlbIP.gif

Sounds like a Robot Chicken parody.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

dtVlbIP.gif

You're close!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAbq2jgw6y8

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

dtVlbIP.gif

You're close!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAbq2jgw6y8

Somehow I both remember and completely forgot about this video.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

Twice.

Cartoons tend to fit into two categories. There's cartoons that get talked about by adult fans, and then there's cartoons that never, ever get mentioned by adults, even if they're successful.

The original PPG run was the former, while the new PPG run was the latter. Apparently the new run was successful enough to run for three years, but it was so meh none of us noticed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I expected to hate Hoops but it is quite fine so far. A big reason is that the main character is aware of what a idiotic, immoral person he is and doesn't try to screw other people over or lie to cover for his shortcomings.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Also enjoyed seeing them meet Amelia/Lena Headey and learning who their true conductor really was.

Eps 9-10
    Owen really decided to gutpunch the audience there, didn't he? I was expecting a dark ending, but not Raiders/Last Crusade "dissolve the villain in graphic detail" dark. And the fact that the season gave you reasons to empathize with Simon made it that much worse.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    io9 is reporting that Infinity Train may not get a new season.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to watching Harley Quinn. Great beginning, shit ending.

Season 1 is excellent. Season 2…
    First half is pretty decent.

But Harley moping over the unrequited love of Ivy is just not fun or interesting to watch.

And it's increadibly hard to care about Harley's asinine personal issues when she literally released an army of demons (I don't know who/what Darkseid is) to terrorize Gotham. And then go on rants about how she's not sure she's a villain, even. She has standards. Lines she will not cross.

Releasing literal demons to slaughter the innocents of Gotham is AOK, though. No moral quandaries there. I mean, except that Harley is mopey because of her feelings for Ivy.

But who among us hasn't killed thousands over an unrequited crush?

(Also, Gordon is at least as bad for trying to stop an invasion of literal demons.)

Last and absolutely least, the Kite Man / Ivy break up felt entirely forced to service the Harley / Ivy ship. The fact that neither KM nor Ivy had discussed any aspect of what they wanted to do with the rest of their lives until the literal wedding vows also makes me dismiss them both as complete morons.

To summarize: I don't care about any of these people or their inane problems.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    You should definitely be aware that Darkseid is.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Amazon Prime has released a behind the scenes production video for the Critical Role animated series, The Legend of Vox Machina. You mostly get to see design work for architecture, landscapes, and interiors, but it's still a pretty neat first look.

https://youtu.be/fV4S1iucx3Y

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The Samurai Jack game has a secret ending that changes the end of the show.
    Ashi lives

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The ending was so horrible they made a game just to fix it.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I liked the ending though. Jack's quest was always destined to be a bittersweet one imo

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The ending was so horrible they made a game just to fix it.
    Samurai Jack Series Ending spoilers
    The only way the game could fix the ending is if it undid Jack and Ashi becoming a couple

• Options
    PirateQueenPirateQueen Registered User regular

Eps 9-10
    Owen really decided to gutpunch the audience there, didn't he? I was expecting a dark ending, but not Raiders/Last Crusade "dissolve the villain in graphic detail" dark. And the fact that the season gave you reasons to empathize with Simon made it that much worse.

Totally agree!
    What a gutpunch! The way Simon left Grace as a vegetable... horrific...
    The Raiders/Last Crusade "dissolve the villain in graphic detail" Simon death seemed totally out of place in Infinity Train (at least to me). The fact that his heel-face turn was understandable makes it even harder to watch, like a person you care about turning into an extremist.
    I thought there would be much more hopeful endings for both Grace and Simon : (

They really might not get another season, right @[Expletive deleted]?
    I'm so curious to find out what will happen with Amelia and Hazel - if HBO Max doesn't want to pay for season 4 I wanna crowd fund it![\spoiler]

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Samurai Jack
    The slightly irksome thing about the ending was contriving that Ashi fades away at the moment of peak happy. Her Akuness leaves immediately, but not the rest of her. I wouldn't have minded if that goodbye had happened after Aku's fort exploded. You can have bittersweet, but no need to twist the knife.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Samurai Jack
    The slightly irksome thing about the ending was contriving that Ashi fades away at the moment of peak happy. Her Akuness leaves immediately, but not the rest of her. I wouldn't have minded if that goodbye had happened after Aku's fort exploded. You can have bittersweet, but no need to twist the knife.
    It would have been much better as an imagination sequence where they kind of held each other, thinking about their future, and then she slipped away in his arms.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Jack just finished up the last of the dirty work of the gods of creation. At the very least, one of them could've stepped in, tossed him a thumbs up, and tweaked the universe a little for his sake.

Regardless, I agree that Ashi was a bad direction. It would've been vastly better if Jack's collected allies had gotten him back on the path, showing him that his efforts were not in vain even if Aku wasn't dead yet. Have them move heaven and earth to find the sword and return it to him, with their collected effort bringing him "back" to restore his faith in himself and return to the mission.

• Options
    Jack just finished up the last of the dirty work of the gods of creation. At the very least, one of them could've stepped in, tossed him a thumbs up, and tweaked the universe a little for his sake.

Regardless, I agree that Ashi was a bad direction. It would've been vastly better if Jack's collected allies had gotten him back on the path, showing him that his efforts were not in vain even if Aku wasn't dead yet. Have them move heaven and earth to find the sword and return it to him, with their collected effort bringing him "back" to restore his faith in himself and return to the mission.

"Alright ye lot, we gotta get back Samurai Jack."

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Samurai Jack at the forefront of an army whose express purpose is to pin Aku down so Jack can deal with him would've been heaps better than "woops, Jack got captured". And Aku should have his fortress at the one time portal protected by the ultimate warrior, with Aku unable to destroy it himself but also obsessed with keeping anyone else from it. With the help of all his allies, Jack defeats Aku in the far future and now able to access the portal. The ultimate warrior welcomes Jack and yields to him because it is finally time to use the portal, informing him that, should he go back, none of those he has helped will ever know he existed.

Then Jack travels back alone, this time for a final personal 1v1 showdown with Aku. Equipped with all his knowledge and experience from the future, Jack is able to overpower and destroy the past Aku alone, freeing himself from the curse of immortality and leaving the future open for all his friends. Then the series ends with him being crowned emperor and beginning the task of rebuilding his nation, finally able to live the life he was always supposed to have.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I mean the Jack is king Time portal could still happen. Its a time portal. We dont know what happens to him after season 4 which I feel is kind of the point

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Me, I wouldn't have had Jack go back in time at all. Instead he destroys Aku in the future, liberating that time period, and allowing all his friends to be free, with Jack coming to peace with not being able to truly change the past (because in reality nobody can) and instead looking towards building a better future. But I'd go for any version of events that doesn't involve everyone and everything Jack encountered in his journey being erased from time - it wasn't just Ashi, killing Aku means that entire future and everyone in it won't exist. Booo! Good show! Bad ending!

Also, Owl House is pretty good, has its moments and all, but I still like Amphibia way more. When the shows were announced I thought it would be the reverse, and had my eye on Owl House as the next 'Gravity Falls'-tier cartoon in my life, but that definitely goes to Amphibia now. I love all these frog people.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I dont think those people were erased they still exist but aku isnt there now and they live different happier lives.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I dont think those people were erased they still exist but aku isnt there now and they live different happier lives.

I mean...that's erasing them and replacing them with genetically identical strangers, right?

I'm just saying I would not be comforted by this distinction if you told me you were going to save me by replacing my timeline with a happier timeline me I would try to kill you to stop you from murdering me and every person place and thing I care about.

Kamar on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The only possible "good" endings would be him going back in time and stopping Aku or him not going back in time and stopping Aku. The former comes with the assumption that it'd erase all of the people he met in the future from existence, since their existence is predicated on Aku's rule of the planet. There definitely should have been an episode where someone not sent by Aku tried to stop Jack because him accomplishing his goal would mean they would never exist, a good moral quandary for him to think about as he continued his quest.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    The only possible "good" endings would be him going back in time and stopping Aku or him not going back in time and stopping Aku. The former comes with the assumption that it'd erase all of the people he met in the future from existence, since their existence is predicated on Aku's rule of the planet. There definitely should have been an episode where someone not sent by Aku tried to stop Jack because him accomplishing his goal would mean they would never exist, a good moral quandary for him to think about as he continued his quest.

There's always the Avengers Endgame solution but with a parallel universe. Jack's sacrifice could be that he returns home only briefly, vowing to return after he has completely dismantled every single vestige of Aku's taint on the "old world", signalling that he has countless new adventures ahead but also has a happy ending waiting for him.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »

I mean...that's erasing them and replacing them with genetically identical strangers, right?

I'm just saying I would not be comforted by this distinction if you told me you were going to save me by replacing my timeline with a happier timeline me I would try to kill you to stop you from murdering me and every person place and thing I care about.

You didnt say that last time.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »

There's always the Avengers Endgame solution but with a parallel universe. Jack's sacrifice could be that he returns home only briefly, vowing to return after he has completely dismantled every single vestige of Aku's taint on the "old world", signalling that he has countless new adventures ahead but also has a happy ending waiting for him.

Or he goes home, beats Aku, and has now established a home base along with his army of friends and allies who are all dedicated to taking out Aku in all the parallel universes or timelines or whatever. Or passes his sword on to someone else to carry on the fight as he retires to train those things.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The happiest happy ending would be Jack going through the portal... and all of his friends agreeing they won't leave Jack to face Aku alone. They arrive in the middle of the fight and we get to see Jack flashing back to how he learns all his new various techniques to defeat Aku; after Jack deals the killing blow, he steps back and realizes everyone is actually there with him to help him if he needs it.

Then they stay in the past with him and help him rebuild, forming a diverse, advanced nation more amazing than simply rebuilding the place back to the original. Use the Avengers time travel bit and Aku is gone in the future, but they're in a new timeline where he never survived to rule the world so they all still exist and nobody is erased.

Also, Jack marries one of the Scotsman's granddaughters and they have enormous samurai children. The Scotsman is thrilled.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    One worrying thought about parallel timelines and preserving the future, since Jack left the future there is no longer any warrior or weapon in that era that can oppose Aku - Jack essentially left all of his allies in the middle of a huge fight with Aku that they cannot possibly win. That future is doomed either way - erased from existence, or conquered utterly by Aku. God damn it did they fuck this up.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think him realizing that the portal home was a lie, but figuring out that he had a new home, friends he made along the way, etc etc, would be a good ending.

• Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    One worrying thought about parallel timelines and preserving the future, since Jack left the future there is no longer any warrior or weapon in that era that can oppose Aku - Jack essentially left all of his allies in the middle of a huge fight with Aku that they cannot possibly win. That future is doomed either way - erased from existence, or conquered utterly by Aku. God damn it did they fuck this up.

Nah Aku knew he was fucked. I imagine the best case is all Aku die when any version of Aku is killed and he knew that

• Options

Eps 9-10

Totally agree!
    What a gutpunch! The way Simon left Grace as a vegetable... horrific...
    The Raiders/Last Crusade "dissolve the villain in graphic detail" Simon death seemed totally out of place in Infinity Train (at least to me). The fact that his heel-face turn was understandable makes it even harder to watch, like a person you care about turning into an extremist.
    I thought there would be much more hopeful endings for both Grace and Simon : (

They really might not get another season, right @[Expletive deleted]?
    I'm so curious to find out what will happen with Amelia and Hazel - if HBO Max doesn't want to pay for season 4 I wanna crowd fund it![\spoiler]

From the interview with Infinity Train's creator:

Infinity Train is in the middle of airing its third season on HBO Max, but it might not get to finish its story. Creator Owen Dennis has revealed that the series is at risk of not being renewed for Book 4, mainly because of ratings and the idea that it might not appeal to kids. However, he’s hopeful for the future and said there are still many more seasons planned.

“Infinity Train could get picked up for more, but only if it gets a lot of views on HBO Max,” Dennis told io9. “If the show gets picked up for more, then I’d love to make more and hire back as many people as we could. If it doesn’t, then I am but tears in the rain.”

This discussion has been closed.