As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Road Trip Holiday Advice v2.0

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
Last year I, a denizen of Northern Ireland, took the Ferry to Scotland, drove down into Northern England, then through into Snowdonia in Wales in a holiday that took a week. I thought it was great, and was thinking of doing a more epic two-week version this year while I still have EU membership to make it easier. I'm probing for advice with some of it, as well as recommendations for stuff to see.

So my general route:

Ferry from Rosslare to Pembroke
Drive to Cardiff, spend a day or two there
Go to Bath to see the Baths
Southampton to see some Titanic stuff
Stonehenge
Greenwich Observatory (Maybe)
Canterbury
Dover

And now the fun part, for I get the Channel Tunnel to France

(General advice, what kind of insurance would I need for driving my car? Is my current version enough or should I get something specific)

From Calais, I'd head to Bruge. Possibly Brussels
Is it worth driving to Amsterdam? What can you see in a couple of days
Then I'd like to follow the Rhine upstream, though I'm toying with a big detour to visit the Teutoburg forest
Which cities (if any) are worth visiting along the Rhine?
Back into France, to see stuff like the Maginot Line, and maybe the Battle of the Somme
Not Paris itself, I've already been, but I might go to Versailles
Up to Normandy, to see the Bayeux Tapestry and some WW2 stuff
Get the Ferry from Cherbourg back to Rosslare

So I guess I'm asking for a mixture of how much time should I budget for this, and are there any particular places I should go to? And are there any hints for Continental Driving?

• Options
    IgnusIgnus Registered User regular
    Your idea seems awesome. Although maybe a bit much for two weeks. Dutch guy here.

I lived in Amsterdam for a few years. Its well worth visiting. If you're planning to spend one or two days there i recommend parking your car somewhere outside the centre. Maybe pick one of the big museums and explore the rest of the city by bike. The centre is hell to traverse by car.

A bit more of the beaten path and closer to the Belgium border is 's Hertogenbosch. It's a beautiful city with a nice history and good food. It's way smaller and good for a day trip.

Good luck!