Options

This TV thread is two pumps til liftoff!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I've been trying to frame this comment in a way that doesn't sound shitty, and all I can really say is that I don't like Roseanne because I grew up poor, and watching that show reminds me that there are different kinds of poor, and that watching Roseanne reminds me of my cousin's shitty cousins, who were the kind of poor that made me contract ringworm from sleeping over at their house once.

That still sounds pretty shitty, but that's about as good as I can do.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am still sad about the missed Cheers reference on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

In the episode where Kelsey Grammer plays the Starfleet captain from the past that destroys the Enterprise over and over, they originally were going to have Kirstie Alley standing behind Grammer on the bridge as Savek. However apparently scheduling issues prevented it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The Coen Bros' Western TV show "Ballad of Buster Scruggs" starts filming in Albuquerque next month

Brief synopsis of the drama/comedy:
    The stories of six individuals weave together in the old West at the end of the Civil War.

No word on cast or even station/service it'll be on yet

Tracking-Board has cast info finally
    Tim Blake Nelson, James Franco, Zoe Kazan, Tyne Daly, Stephen Root and Ralph Ineson are nearing deals to star in the Coen brothers’ ambitious TV project THE BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned.

Annapurna Television is backing the omnibus series, which will be comprised of six segments, each featuring different characters.

Spoiling plot stuff just in case anyone wants to go in blind
    As first reported by the Albuquerque Journal, the segments are as follows:

“The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs” follows
    a singing cowboy.
    The Tracking Board has learned that Tim Blake Nelson will play the title character.

“Near Algodones” is about
    a high-plains drifter whose own fecklessness dogs his attempts at bank robbery and cattle driving.
    We hear James Franco, Stephen Root (The Ladykillers) and Ralph Ineson (The Witch) will star in this one.

“Meal Ticket” follows
    an actor and impresario of a traveling show.

“All Gold Canyon” is about
    a prospector who happily finds a gold seam but then unhappily finds an evil encroacher.

“The Gal Who Got Rattled” follows
    two trail bosses on the Oregon Trail and a woman on the wagon train who needs the help of one of them and who might be a marriage prospect for the other.
    We hear Zoe Kazan (The Big Sick) will play the titular “gal.” Her publicist did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“The Mortal Remains” follows
    five very different passengers on a stagecoach of mysterious destination.
    We hear Tyne Daly (Spider-Man: Homecoming) will star in this one.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I can't believe you all were talking about best tv dads and Goku didn't come up once.

Well I dont have all night but Goku is such a bad dad in super his 6 year old son has come to terms with the fact that his dad is a fight crazy lunatic who only has the faintest affection for his family. He even seems a bit depressed.

Vegeta though. He stepped the fuck up .

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Well sure, Goku never grew up and was basically tricked into marriage by Chi Chi. It makes sense he's a shitty Father and Husband.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    He does pretty well considering

Also saves the world a lot

Also gets his 12 year old to fight villains more than once

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Well sure, the people around him are better people than he is, so he gets a pass.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I am conflicted on Castlevania.

I want to watch it, but I fucking hate Konami with the latest news of how they have been treating Kojima's team.

Mmmmrgghhhhh.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Drez wrote: »

I want to watch it, but I fucking hate Konami with the latest news of how they have been treating Kojima's team.

Mmmmrgghhhhh.

Just watch it, Konami was paid once at the beginning. They don't get paid again whether you watch it or not.

And as a Castlevania fan, it is a ton of fun and reminds you why you like this property. Whip fights! Monsters with crazy powers! Magic ladies! Swag vampires! etc

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I'm watching The Comeback pilot and boy oh boy is this funny-but-excrutiating

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I tried watching Marvel's Iron Fist.

Now, I like the tv show Arrow, so I'm not entirely unopposed to enjoying "Rich White Man problems: The Show" style series, but after two episodes of this hipster coded white man spouting Himalayan monk based mysticisms to random strangers and I had to tap out.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

Now, I like the tv show Arrow, so I'm not entirely unopposed to enjoying "Rich White Man problems: The Show" style series, but after two episodes of this hipster coded white man spouting Himalayan monk based mysticisms to random strangers and I had to tap out.

What worse is the first few episodes are the highlight of the season. It's all downhill from there.

Coming on the heels of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage, Iron Fist was a massive letdown.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

You didn't miss anything. It carries on like that, and you'll eventually realise with horror that the show thinks you like Danny Rand and hope he gets what he wants.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Mmmmrgghhhhh.

Just watch it, Konami was paid once at the beginning. They don't get paid again whether you watch it or not.

And as a Castlevania fan, it is a ton of fun and reminds you why you like this property. Whip fights! Monsters with crazy powers! Magic ladies! Swag vampires! etc

Its proved so popular Konami is removing it from Netflix and never mentioning it again. Their highest honor!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Goku has canonically never kissed his wife. They have two children.

From what I've seen of Super, it's half about how terrible a person Goku is to his family.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I stayed up until stupid o'clock Saturday watching GLOW. Got through about half the season. What a super fun show (assuming it stays this light-hearted). It definitely feels like someone made A League of Their Own into a TV show and it's pretty wonderful.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    the rest of super is about how terrible Goku is to all of creation

not just his universe, but all the others

I'm not kidding

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I like that, " You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villian" matches Goku PERFECTLY.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You either die a hero

Or live long enough to actually fucking launch your spirit bomb.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    This is Toriyama getting back at fans for not letting him kill off Goku and pass the torch off to Gohan like he originally planned.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Wow, Season 2 of Chewing Gum goes to some plaaaaces

• Options
    Curb Your Enthusiasm back October 1

Bojack Horseman back September 8

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Curb Your Enthusiasm back October 1

Bojack Horseman back September 8

That is a brutal combo.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Twin Peaks did just say October 1st would be an important date

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

Mmmmrgghhhhh.

Its proved so popular Konami is removing it from Netflix and never mentioning it again. Their highest honor!

God people liking that show must've burned Konamis ass right up

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Mmmmrgghhhhh.

"We're making a new Castlevania, it's called, uh, Castlevania Survive, and you craft... whips... And there's zombies? Also Dracula, of course there's Dracula!"

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    the rest of super is about how terrible Goku is to all of creation

not just his universe, but all the others

I'm not kidding

DB Super best ending is Gohan and Vegeta fighting Goku who turned full heel to get the "best possible fight" out of the strongest people he knows: his friends and family.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

The quickest summary is the most low-key and likable character on this show is Billy Eichner

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Any piece of media with "college" in the title is gonna have to do a lot of heavy lifting to get me to watch it

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

Mmmmrgghhhhh.

"We're making a new Castlevania, it's called, uh, Castlevania Survive, and you craft... whips... And there's zombies? Also Dracula, of course there's Dracula!"

At least Zombies aren't out of place in that setting...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Any piece of media with "college" in the title is gonna have to do a lot of heavy lifting to get me to watch it

College Dropout is a great album, though

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Netflix Castlevania is pretty okay
    Trevor Belmont is a hilarious scumbag

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I loved that they managed to give Dracula a good reason to be cartoonishly evil.

• Options
    Keith wrote: »

College Dropout is a great album, though

I'll give you that one

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    I loved that they managed to give Dracula a good reason to be cartoonishly evil.

Well not to start a whole thing but I don't know that I'd call it good from a writing standpoint

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

Well not to start a whole thing but I don't know that I'd call it good from a writing standpoint

Well yeah it's basically just fridging but I still buy it beyond "he's the vampire guy." It also contrasts him to Alucard well.

rhylith on
  • Options
    He's certainly a man who doesn't half-ass things

• Options
    It's an old trope but I think they set it up and delivered it very well

• Options
    I just wanted to see more of this lady who just barges into Castle Fucking Dracula and goes "hey there Vlad, I want you to teach me some SCIENCE" and he's like how the hell did you "DON'T INTERRUPT ME I GOT SCIENCE TO LEARN NOW HOP TO IT"

This discussion has been closed.