As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wolfenstein] Play it on Easy, pick Wyatt

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    This lady has a killer fro!

She does, and the work they did on her hair actually looks quite lovely.

There was an article goin' about earlier this year on how video games often don't do an especially good job rendering and presenting the hair texture and style of black people, I think Wolf 2 does a decent job. Not perfect, but decent.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I just borrowed a copy and have gotten to the sub mission after New York.

This game rules and there are already so many little touches I love in it.

The way the game uses conversations between Nazi guards to humanize them, not in a way that gives people empathy for them but in a way that throws the grossness of their ideology into stark relief. They joke and talk about their wives, their brothers and sisters and then go on to talk about subhumans. It's so important to remember that these are people, they aren't some monster from a movie, they're humans who have that capacity for evil.

Also love BJ having only half health. That's a real great way to marry story and gameplay.

Probably my biggest complaint so far is (First Mission Spoilers):
    Caroline dying and becoming BJ's inspiration so far kinda sucks. They did it as well as they could, but honestly I chose Fergus and I'm wishing he died for how much of a nothing character in this game he's been. Losing a real bad ass woman who was also gay if I'm reading the photo in her dairy right really sucks since their really is no other character that comes at Nazi's from a queer perspective.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

The way the game uses conversations between Nazi guards to humanize them, not in a way that gives people empathy for them but in a way that throws the grossness of their ideology into stark relief. They joke and talk about their wives, their brothers and sisters and then go on to talk about subhumans. It's so important to remember that these are people, they aren't some monster from a movie, they're humans who have that capacity for evil.

Also love BJ having only half health. That's a real great way to marry story and gameplay.

Caroline dying and becoming BJ's inspiration so far kinda sucks. They did it as well as they could, but honestly I chose Fergus and I'm wishing he died for how much of a nothing character in this game he's been. Losing a real bad ass woman who was also gay if I'm reading the photo in her dairy right really sucks since their really is no other character that comes at Nazi's from a queer perspective.
    Sigrun is heavily implied to be Bi.

• Options

Okay I was wondering what with Engal playing with the head but I wasn't sure if I was reading too into it.

Rescind my comment about their being no character with a queer perspective then. Still think it kinda sucks though.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular

Okay I was wondering what with Engal playing with the head but I wasn't sure if I was reading too into it.

Rescind my comment about their being no character with a queer perspective then. Still think it kinda sucks though.
    I wouldn't say "heavily" implied, the only time I saw it hinted was that one line on the ausmerzer.

Given how the rest of the game is unwilling to mince words on political topics, their tiptoeing around queer representation is pretty disappointing.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

Unfortunately they didn't do much with Sigrun's queerness after that

I wish it had been addressed more directly when she had the freedom of the U-Boat

Even just one conversation involving it, you know?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »

Unfortunately they didn't do much with Sigrun's queerness after that

I wish it had been addressed more directly when she had the freedom of the U-Boat

Even just one conversation involving it, you know?
    Hmmm, okay yeah. I get them not wanting to make a stereotype or have characters awkwardly talk about being gay but there could be something! I just find it weird that there is this blind spot in the game.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    Queer people do kinda get forgotten about in Wolfenstein 2, unfortunately. The game does talk a fair bit about race, gender, intersectionality, and even disability (at least for a little while) but queerness is something the game kinda side-steps except in an incredibly "oh yes and also the queers" kind of way.

It sucks! It would be nice if that were not the case.

Also the Fergus timeline sucks and Fergus sucks. Wyatt forever.

• Options
    I’m honestly thinking of restarting on the Wyatt timeline cause honestly Fergus is just boring in this one.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    Fergus repeatedly calling Grace a cunt kinda did me in.

Yeah, he's Scottish, context and all that, I don't... care?

And I remembered that Wyatt was who I saved in TNO and I was like "fuck this, starting over"

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fergus is sort of dumb, and the game walks the line between charming and annoying without really coming down on either side

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fergus is so different in TNO compared to TNC that it's really surprising seeing how much he's changed in the time between the two games. It makes sense as an arc of character development, kind of, but Fergus's whole deal in the first game was borderline suicidal survivor's guilt

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Fergus is so different in TNO compared to TNC that it's really surprising seeing how much he's changed in the time between the two games. It makes sense as an arc of character development, kind of, but Fergus's whole deal in the first game was borderline suicidal survivor's guilt

Wyatt has a hell of an arc in TNC, I am enjoying it

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Wyatt is the canon one imo

So much more interesting and impactful

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Do collectibles carry over from timeline to timeline.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Do collectibles carry over from timeline to timeline.

nah, there's no real way to play stuff again without starting from scratch

• Options
    Yeah, unlike the first game where you could replay from the beginning with all the perks unlocked, you have to start from scratch on this one. (it's a shame too; made the harder difficulty in the first game much more manageable.)

Also, anyone know any spots that are good for farming the "throw a grenade back" perk? And how the hell do you get a constrictor kill?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Constricter kill is doing a takedown from a vent or pipe like some Eugene Tooms-ass horror movie monster. It's pretty fiddly to actually get someone close enough to a gap tbh.

I threw back or made the enemy drop a grand total of zero grenades the whole game, it was a pain in the ass in the first game as well. (Was also well short of actual standard grenade kills, maybe they should be a bit more populous in the world or drop occasionally from enemies)

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Constricter kill is doing a takedown from a vent or pipe like some Eugene Tooms-ass horror movie monster. It's pretty fiddly to actually get someone close enough to a gap tbh.

I threw back or made the enemy drop a grand total of zero grenades the whole game, it was a pain in the ass in the first game as well. (Was also well short of actual standard grenade kills, maybe they should be a bit more populous in the world or drop occasionally from enemies)

I feel like the first game there was a spot on the bridge where you could just hide behind cover and because there was a big gap, the only thing the enemy could do was chuck grenades. It was right next to a checkpoint, too.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm really grateful for all of you talking about Wyatt vs Fergus on his page as I just picked this up in the PSN sale and was coming in to ask which people recommended

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Marry Wyatt, Kill Hitler, Fuck Fergus.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I picked up The New Colossus for Black Friday and have been putting a lot of time into it.

Section F again:
    Ok, I think this is my breaking point. I'm not sure how much longer I can handle super fatalistic BJ talking to himself about how he's gonna die and leave Anya alone.

On a lighter note, I really have some questions about the logistics of this ship and how big it is in general. I sorta feel like living sections aren't the same length as Section F.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I picked up The New Colossus for Black Friday and have been putting a lot of time into it.

Section F again:
    Ok, I think this is my breaking point. I'm not sure how much longer I can handle super fatalistic BJ talking to himself about how he's gonna die and leave Anya alone.

On a lighter note, I really have some questions about the logistics of this ship and how big it is in general. I sorta feel like living sections aren't the same length as Section F.

section F
    It's the largest boat in the fleet, before you steal it, and I think it runs the length of the ship, so it should be pretty long

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular

Section F again:

section F
    It's the largest boat in the fleet, before you steal it, and I think it runs the length of the ship, so it should be pretty long
    It’s also a video game sub. That thing is just absolutely full of wasted space. Also a sub that big houses at least 200 folks and we weren’t shown any berthing areas other than a handful of staterooms. Hell, all of the space we were shown didn’t even include the engine room, which would need to be pretty fucking huge for that ship, assuming only one reactor. Never mind the number of nuclear trained personnel that would be required to safely operate that thing.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Going by window scale. Freakin' huge.

aogyjzfbqrmq.png

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options

Section F again:

Regarding BJ, keep going.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I just got to what I assume was "that part"
    BJ killed his dad! Got fucking beheaded!
    Ghost mom!

This game is too fucking crazy for its own good

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    the thing aboyt Wyatt in TNO is that he's secretly a lot funnier than Fergus

when they have to jump off the bridge to get into the resistance HQ he has to explain to BJ and Anya how it works

he adds, as an opener: "The thing about Nazis is that they're really, really stupid."

and he just fucking nails that delivery

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I just got to what I assume was "that part"
    BJ killed his dad! Got fucking beheaded!
    Ghost mom!

This game is too fucking crazy for its own good

that’s not the part

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Let's be honest, the game has, like, three or four "that part"s. At least.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Let's be honest, the game has, like, three or four "that part"s. At least.

oh, sure

but there’s a part that is more “that part” than the rest

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Regarding when you pick from the three equipments
    I feel like this delivery would have been crazier if I hadn't noticed the headless body floating in the tank near the start of the game and just assumed that was where the story was going

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I just finished up the opening and now I'm thinking of restarting with Wyatt. Fergus isn't grabbing me in this one.

Also the sub should realistically be so bad at actually being a sub. Did they invent submarines and not sonar? It should be SO LOUD. They have giant clangy parts and large elevators and shit inside of this thing. It's like in the movie Galaxy Quest when Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver have to go into the guts of the ship for some reason and paraphrased she's all "why is this here? None of this should be here!" in regards to the all the fire and giant smashy pistons.

I still love it though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Maybe the sub uses secret technology

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What's the deal in TNC, is there an unopposed global Reich? If so maybe they've dispensed with countermeasures and sonar detection

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I believe your sub has some sort of stealth technology

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The dieselkraftwerk is my favourite new gun in a while, so satisfying

• Options
    Uhhhhh

Post-Roswell

That sure just happened

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea holy shit this game! I've also became a pistol sniping machine. No commander is safe from terror Billy.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    speculation/wishful thinking for possible DLC
    so we know the resistance doesn't end with BJ; they go on operations without him, lose people without him, etc. One of these operations (we learn through Set's and Caroline's notes) was in Paris, where they retrieved the super soldier body that BJ will eventually have. While in Paris, Caroline met and possibly got intimate with a woman called Juna, who unfortunately suffered head trauma during the extraction. Despondent, Caroline asked Set to place her body in a spare body storage tank they stole and Set obliged, while noting he sees no hope for her recovery, as she is "brain dead", and put her in storage.

now, we've unlocked the vault. And what do we have inside, apart from the SAS device? a body tank.

so I think, if we do get extra DLC past the Freedom Chronicles, it'll be about having to bring back Caroline comatose girlfriend

wY6K6Jb.gif