As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do I do to get my car back fixed after more than 2 years

tacomakyletacomakyle Registered User new member
I began rebuilding my engine when I had to have a couple of surgeries. I took my heads to a reputable machine shop and $1300 later I got my newly machined heads back. At this point I needed help finishing rebuilding my engine and transmission. So I dropped it off at a garage that had several positive reviews. We agreed to an amount of $4000. If they needed any part in excess of $250 they would call me first. I also left $1000 to get the ball rolling. That was over 2 years ago!
What recourse do I have? Is there any legal standard for automotive repairs? Can a shop just get it fixed whenever? I feel that I've been more than patient up to this point! What souls I do at this point?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I fully understand the situation here.

You left the car with them two years ago, you presumably agreed a set of work to be done, and you've paid them some money.

What work have they done so far? Have you paid them any more money? Have they asked for any more money? Have you asked for the car back?

• Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    Have they given you a timeline of when it'll be ready?

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    You left your car somewhere 2 years ago... where is it now? I don't know of any shop that would just store a car for two years.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Do you have a receipt for the $1k you left with them, the $4k you agreed on, etc.?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    What kind of contact have you had with them, and who initiated it? When's the last time you contacted them for an update or tried to gain access to the car? When's the last time you directly confirmed they still have it in their possession? Have you checked if the title is still in your name?

Honestly, at first description, this sounds like you needed a lawyer 18 months ago, my first worry would be that at some point the car was legally abandoned and became theirs to sell and it's gone now. If they manipulated circumstances to make that happen there may still be recourse (not including getting the car back, probably) but that's going to be legal as well.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Probably looking at a lawyer situation.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    ...yeah there's no mechanic on the planet that's going to just store a car for 2 years. Do you even know that they still have the car?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I think the big thing that is missing is what exactly happened when you last called them up. Also like when that was.

There are laws for abandoned property in the care of another and notice required but like step 1 of that is call them and talk to them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish