As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    So simsettlements is fun but I keep feeling like it’s a bit cheaty since the plots are basically free.

On the other hand, I guess it isn’t like it takes a ton a resources to toss up a wood or metal building and a bed, even in the early game.

You can turn on options that make the settlements require upkeep.

The plots themselves also have costs, but display tends to be slightly bugged when you're building. Each plot takes a large amount of wood and steel or concrete to construct, depending on foundation, and the ASAM sensors require fairly rare resources to craft as your network of settlements expands.

Rise of the Commonwealth eliminates most of the plot costs, but upgrading the city as a whole requires a large amount of scrap in the workbench; when you donate you're explicitly giving the settlers something to use, but if the upgrade happens when you didn't donate anything, well, odds are you still donated something and just didn't realize it.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Meh, if you're not doing the occasional Navarro run... ;)

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    Broken Steel and Point Lookout are both really good.
    The Pitt isn't as good but is still pretty great.
    Operation Anchorage is divisive. It's a pretty linear and is entirely combat. I kinda like it though.
    Mothership Zeta is awful.

Broken Steel doesn't do anything till the end of the game. So you don't need it until you are ready to finish the main quest.

The main thing with the pitt was I felt too much story info was hidden or missable. For example, be sure you open any locked safes and search desks when you go see Ashur the first time.

Otherwise it was a very interesting moral choice.

Point lookout is great for the same reason far harbor is great, and honest hearts and old world blues were fun. Its a ‘here’s a big bethesda open world area, go do things there’ dlc with at least a vaguely interesting story, which is where Bethesda game dlcs really shine.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Still counts as sniping in modern video gaming!

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    the only reason to run anchorage is to get power armor training.

You basically leave the vault, run to rivet city for the intelligence bobble head, then go and spend 2 hours powering through anchorage for power armor training.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

You basically leave the vault, run to rivet city for the intelligence bobble head, then go and spend 2 hours powering through anchorage for power armor training.

Let's not shortchange the winterized T-51b and chinese stealth armor. It's been a while since I played FO 3 but I remember the stealth armor being pretty much the single most powerful item in the game.

• Options
    Anyone know of any good modifications to make for Pipe guns in FO4? I made a decent Pipe Sniper-Rifle but I'm looking for something in the medium to short firing range with decent stopping power or at least a good firing speed.

Also, in FO3, is there anything one can sell reliably without worry of needing it for crafting or a quest? I could use some more caps to get some of the nice stuff for my Megaton home.

• Options

Let's not shortchange the winterized T-51b and chinese stealth armor. It's been a while since I played FO 3 but I remember the stealth armor being pretty much the single most powerful item in the game.

yeah, though if you are clever hyou can yoink the power armor out of the simulation iirc, which has an insanely high durability of like 20k or something

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Anyone know of any good modifications to make for Pipe guns in FO4? I made a decent Pipe Sniper-Rifle but I'm looking for something in the medium to short firing range with decent stopping power or at least a good firing speed.

Also, in FO3, is there anything one can sell reliably without worry of needing it for crafting or a quest? I could use some more caps to get some of the nice stuff for my Megaton home.

1) Take pipe gun
    2) throw it in the garbage
    3) Never use a pipe gun again because they're garbage

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

I spent most of my time using this as my primary short-range weapon.
    13EBEA2501781176E11BF17BE4D73D74E25EE3B0

Not sure how well it would work without the exploding damage modifier, but with the auto-receiver and drum magazine, it puts out a whole hell of a lot of bullets in a short time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

Cartons of cigarettes have a good weight to value ratio. Honestly a good way to get money is to collect pre-war books and turn them in to the BoS at Arlington Library. Or if you could try turning scrap metal into Walter.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

1) Take pipe gun
    2) throw it in the garbagebreak it down for parts
    3) Never use a pipe gun again because they're garbage

fixed for environmental friendliness

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Right. On the topic of FO4 and weapon-modification, I've noticed I get certain parts of weapons when I modify them. Can I just slot those back into another copy of the same weapon without spending materials?

• Options
    You can. You get something like an "add modification" option that takes the place of "build modification". I don't know if they work in settlement/linked settlement inventories, though.

• Options
    Another question for FO4 (sorry): is it ok to keep Red Rocket off the supply-line grid? Been using it as my own home and I don't really want the settlers looting my personal stash. Also, would I need to still create defenses for it to keep thieves away?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    You won't be punished for not putting a settlement on the grid, aside from just not having those materials available to build with. If there are no settlers at a settlement I believe it won't be attacked, at least I've never had an unsettled settlement be attacked.
    Edit: Also on the topic of removing mods from weapons, make sure you're taking them out of your inventory. I was halfway through my first playthrough way back when when I realized they were in my inventory and not in the workshop and they're like half a pound each.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Ugh. SOMETHING I have installed makes the Nate/Nora-sicle in Vault 111 invisible (still has markers for interaction, just..isn't there), and I can't figure out what the hell it is, after backtracking through my install categories uninstalling things one by one. Unless it's Start Me Up itself, because I've been using that to speedrun the vault to test for problems. Guess that's my next test now that I think of it.
    Edit: Yup, that was it. Must be a feature of the 'skip to the vault' thing.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    You can download saves from the vault exit. I'm 99% sure you get the option to completely edit your character however you want at the elevator.

Of course not a very good option if you have a specific face you already made.

A quickstart mod seems the likely culprit though, so it probably is that one doing it.

• Options
    Oh yeah, I've got the face thing covered, looksmenu is freakin' awesome for that. I made a preset of my Tony Stark I worked on for 3 hours at launch (brand new game, spend the first 3 hours sculpting a painstaking recreation of RDJ, go figure) that I made from loading my old save and saving his face data. I could probably tweak it to be more accurate now but as is it's as easy as starting a new game and popping the preset on. It's weird but after spending 200+ hours with the guy, any other face feels wrong on the male hero.
    I've said it before, but I feel like either fallout 4 modding is uniquely more multiple-esp dependent than other Bethesda games, or the modders are lazier. I feel like every other mod comes with an AWKCR and AE patch that's in addition to the base ESP, and in some cases a new ESP hotfix, rather than what I felt like was the old way, which was an all-in-one version of the base mod. Especially frustrating since Fallout 4 adds a whole new category of mods in settlement building if one is at all interested in that. Put it together and what should be a, say, 150 mod load order balloons out past the 254 mod limit (used to be 255 but the advent of the ESL format with Creation Club eats that last slot up). At least some of the guys who make the rad weapons mods have started to bundle them up and incorporating them into leveled lists.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, I've got the face thing covered, looksmenu is freakin' awesome for that. I made a preset of my Tony Stark I worked on for 3 hours at launch (brand new game, spend the first 3 hours sculpting a painstaking recreation of RDJ, go figure) that I made from loading my old save and saving his face data. I could probably tweak it to be more accurate now but as is it's as easy as starting a new game and popping the preset on. It's weird but after spending 200+ hours with the guy, any other face feels wrong on the male hero.
    I've said it before, but I feel like either fallout 4 modding is uniquely more multiple-esp dependent than other Bethesda games, or the modders are lazier. I feel like every other mod comes with an AWKCR and AE patch that's in addition to the base ESP, and in some cases a new ESP hotfix, rather than what I felt like was the old way, which was an all-in-one version of the base mod. Especially frustrating since Fallout 4 adds a whole new category of mods in settlement building if one is at all interested in that. Put it together and what should be a, say, 150 mod load order balloons out past the 254 mod limit (used to be 255 but the advent of the ESL format with Creation Club eats that last slot up). At least some of the guys who make the rad weapons mods have started to bundle them up and incorporating them into leveled lists.

Yeah, looksmenu is great. Other than saving and downloading face settings, I like it for being able to edit NPCs appearance. It's fun playing with companions appearance, like making Piper a goth. I also like using it to clean up Cait after finishing her loyalty quest. Though I know the followers mod lets you edit them and I can't remember which one I used to change them, I know I used looksmenu to save their default appearance if I wanted to change back.

• Options

Yeah, looksmenu is great. Other than saving and downloading face settings, I like it for being able to edit NPCs appearance. It's fun playing with companions appearance, like making Piper a goth. I also like using it to clean up Cait after finishing her loyalty quest. Though I know the followers mod lets you edit them and I can't remember which one I used to change them, I know I used looksmenu to save their default appearance if I wanted to change back.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that does that! It's unfortunate that no amount of Looksmenu fudging makes Marcy Long any less of a miserable twat, though..

• Options
    You can't Looksmenu an insufferable personality but you CAN download a mod to remove all her dialog.

Or, as I call it, SHUT UP AND FARM TATOS.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    I explored Dunwich Borers today, and WOW, it really tops the Dunwich Building from 3. I especially liked how it managed to target my phobia for deep water and paired it with eldritch horror.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    I explored Dunwich Borers today, and WOW, it really tops the Dunwich Building from 3. I especially liked how it managed to target my phobia for deep water and paired it with eldritch horror.

What's awesome is when you take power armor down there.

Or rather, lose power armor down there.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

It not anything new. I've been messing with New Vegas mods and you get things there like the Weapon Retexture Project or Freeside Open that conflict with EVERYTHING. So if you want to run those, you have to run tons of compatibility patches.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular

Have a look at the miscellaneous items list for a pretty comprehensive list. The vast majority of the money you make will come from selling off weapons and armor though.
    Another question for FO4 (sorry): is it ok to keep Red Rocket off the supply-line grid? Been using it as my own home and I don't really want the settlers looting my personal stash. Also, would I need to still create defenses for it to keep thieves away?

Settlers only take things out of the containers of settlements they occupy. Adding Red Rocket to the supply-line only means that you might use up junk items when performing construction elsewhere. That also works in reverse, so there's not much reason to insist on keeping your pools of junk items separate.

• Options

You jump into a water filled mine shaft wearing a suit of armor, you dont get to complain about what happens next

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

You jump into a water filled mine shaft wearing a suit of armor without the jetpack upgrade, you dont get to complain about what happens next

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Jetpack only works in water if you can jump high enough to break the surface.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Although you can walk along the bottom of the water out to Spectacle Island. (I ate some mirelurk cake part way through because I wasn't sure if I would drown or not.)

• Options
    CrazodCrazod Registered User regular

I used this mod that adds Heavy Pipe Guns which do a bit more damage, was pretty happy with it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9825/

• Options
    In all of my playthroughs, it doesn't take long before I'm tripping over hunting rifles, combat rifles, and assault rifles, so it's pretty easy to forget about pipe weapons. I believe you can even rechamber some of them for .38 if ammo is an issue.

Speaking of weapons and mods, I figure this is a good time for a PSA about energy weapons since it hasn't been mentioned in a while. Did you know that Laser Pistols and Laser Rifles are the same weapon with different mods? The same goes for Plasma and Institute weapons, as well. You can convert one to the other.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular

Start with something without revolver or bolt-action in the name.

Build the best receiver you can without "auto" in the name, and the best barrel you can. If you want a good VATS weapon, add a glow sight and a sharpshooter grip, otherwise just shorten the scope on your sniper rifle.

• Options
    So I found out about another New Vegas mod I wanted to watch a playthrough of, For The Enclave, but surprise surprise, the only people who made videos of it insist on shitty commentary through the entire thing. Why is this so popular? Why do so many people enjoy having the experience ruined by some jackass prattling on through the whole thing?

• Options
    So I found out about another New Vegas mod I wanted to watch a playthrough of, For The Enclave, but surprise surprise, the only people who made videos of it insist on shitty commentary through the entire thing. Why is this so popular? Why do so many people enjoy having the experience ruined by some jackass prattling on through the whole thing?

I used to prefer silent playthroughs, but in recent years found I tend to prefer hearing someone talk that actually knows what they're talking about. Why they're doing this, what this means, what they're workings towards. I think technically Let's Plays are typically commentated (Let Us Play) while something like a Longplay will just be the game. That might just vary person to person, though.

• Options

I used to prefer silent playthroughs, but in recent years found I tend to prefer hearing someone talk that actually knows what they're talking about. Why they're doing this, what this means, what they're workings towards. I think technically Let's Plays are typically commentated (Let Us Play) while something like a Longplay will just be the game. That might just vary person to person, though.

I dont, it completely ruins the immersion for me, but even if it didnt, the people who usually do commentary dont know their ass from a controller, they just ramble on about random crap in a desperate attempt to be funny. PewDiPie has destroyed the concept of playthroughs.

• Options

I dont, it completely ruins the immersion for me, but even if it didnt, the people who usually do commentary dont know their ass from a controller, they just ramble on about random crap in a desperate attempt to be funny. PewDiPie has destroyed the concept of playthroughs.

when i watch a lets play, its usually for the personality.

If you go in wanting the game you'll always be disappointed

• Options

when i watch a lets play, its usually for the personality.

If you go in wanting the game you'll always be disappointed

Yeah, thats why I dont search for lets plays, I search for playthroughs, problem is, half the time what comes up is Playthrough with COMMENTARY. And if what you search for is even slightly obscure, you're almost guaranteed to only get lets play wannabes.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The only thing i can remember about Anchorage is that it was boring as hell and you could cheat out a bunch of the VR Weapons to get decent weapons with ridiculously insane durability

This discussion has been closed.