As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I watched a fragment from the QuakeCon presentation where they talk about the perk card system, and it seems kind of neat. A pretty different take on building the character, and I'm curious to see how it feels in practice.

One thing that occurred to me (and was then brought up in the presentation a split second later) is that Charisma seems like a weird stat in a multiplayer game where there are no computer-controlled NPCs. Their solution was to make it a multiplayer-focused stat, with its related perks allowing you to give your teammates buffs and even share the effects of other perks with them (the example they give is that you can pick up scrounger perks that let you find more ammo in containers, and then share that with your teammates via the Charisma perks). I think that's a really cool solution to the problem but it also suggests to me that for people who intend to play it single-player (like me), this becomes a 100% dump stat. They said there's a Lone Wolf perk tied to Charisma, to give bonuses to people playing alone, and it sounds to me like I'll just take that and never put a single point into Charisma again. Which is ultimately fine, just a shame when a stat ends up being completely useless for an entire playstyle.

I can imagine the satisfaction of being in a whole crew of people, each with a decent Charisma and non-overlapping sets of perks, all buffing each other as they roll over the Wasteland. That's a really cool fantasy, just not one that I will realistically be able to participate in.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Like seriously, just give me the option to jump into a PVE only server....

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Y'know most games of this type do have PvE only servers. Though when the game was first announced they said you'd never see a server select screen. So who knows on that part.

Though I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if before launch or not long after launch they end up adding PvE and PvP specific servers.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I can't remember: Have they said whether or not people can host their own servers? Whether that's for playing exclusively singleplayer, or to control the invite list of people allowed on the server?

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I can't remember: Have they said whether or not people can host their own servers? Whether that's for playing exclusively singleplayer, or to control the invite list of people allowed on the server?

They have said there will be private servers.

Although I honestly would not be surprised in the slightest if they legit didn't have any plans for private servers until they got flooded with questions about it after the game's announcement. At least that was the impression I got from their E3 converage. :razz:

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I hope there are open PvP servers. With harsher death penalties. I’m glad the rules exist as is for casual relaxing play, but to me the whole point of online survival games is the tense relationships with other players

616610-1.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Yeah.

I do enjoy me some PvP, but it doesn’t need to be in everything.

If you find yourself designing a bunch of systems to greatly discourage and punish PvP then maybe you should just leave it out.

Or if you really want it then keep it simple: let player’s toggle PvP on/off, with some sort of cool down. Extend the cooldown by x time if they damage or are damaged by a player. If people want nothing at all to do with PvP then they can just leave it off.

Anything else is just going to annoy everybody PvEers and PvPers alike.

This was my point as well; Bethesda seems to be jumping through all these hoops to try and stop players from being dicks, but yet the simplest way is to simply allow people to opt-out completely from any PvP if they want to, rather than attempting to implement all these overly-complicated systems that people will inevitably find ways around.

They WANT people to be able to be dicks. They want the coveted internet dick demographic, and their money. They also want the PVE peoples money.

The systems they are describing are not designed to protect people from being harassed. They are designed to make the harassment just bearable enough that people don't quit the game, while giving the internet dicks people to prey upon.

100% not a bug, it's a feature.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I hope there are open PvP servers. With harsher death penalties. I’m glad the rules exist as is for casual relaxing play, but to me the whole point of online survival games is the tense relationships with other players

Yeah I too enjoy me PvP.

To the more hardcore PvEer they might not think that there is a distinction between people who enjoy PvP and Griefers, but I promise you there are.

Most PvPers enjoy it for "the most dangerous game" aspect. I like having to be on edge, keeping an eye on my surroundings, being wary of ambushes, or deciding on the best approach in to a town. I get no enjoyment from killing noobs or people clearly uninterested in PvP. Most of my enjoyment from PvP comes not from killing, but from the tension. I think most PvPers fall in to this category.

Griefers on the other hand get enjoyment purely from fucking with people. Sometimes not even by killing them, but by some other equally dickish means.

The system they've outlined so far doesn't, IMHO, seem to appeal at all to PvEers who generally want nothing at all to do with PvP or to PvPers like myself who lose out on tension.

Since it seems like switching between servers will be no big deal then go ahead and have PvE and PvP servers and let people switch between them at their leisure. Feel like PvP today? Have at it! Don't want to deal with it and just want a chill time? Switch on over to a PvE server and chill!

Axen on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular

There "will be private servers"...just not at launch. Same goes with mods.

I'm wondering if there will be any servers at all, though, or if it's just peer-to-peer matchmaking like GTA Online. "Matchmaking is totally great and just fine guys!" is a very unfortunate trend these days.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    idk, I made through stranglethorn vale on a pvp server

and that wasn't with level boosting or the griefer losing a substantial amount of caps

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

and that wasn't with level boosting or the griefer losing a substantial amount of caps

And when I tried a PvP server, I couldn't make it halfway to the Crossroads without getting ganked by max level rogues, so I left the server and never went back.

Mileage varies, and people have different experiences.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Missing from those Kotaku points is that if someone is a wanted murderer, the cap bounty that gets paid out to whoever nails them comes from the murderer's coffers. So people will be out to get you AND you pay them to kill you. That's pretty brilliant.

No, it means every ganker will have a friend/alt account that kills them when they get murderer status and gives them the money back.

These are the kind of ideas developers come up with thinking it will stop griefing when they think of griefers as just people playing the game who like to murder people, instead of players actually dedicated to ruining others fun. And they pretty much never work.
    I'm sure they could easily setup a code that people you party with will not trigger the bounty reward on you.

You also cannot select a server to play on. So trying to arrange to meet with a friend without partying will take many login attempts.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I don't think it really matters at this point what systems Bethesda details that are meant to curb trolling/griefing. People will just keep crafting elaborate, most likely uncommon, scenarios as to how trolls will bypass them. I think what they've described so far is a pretty good and well thought out system to for PVP and anti-griefing.

No one is going to camp outside the new player spawn zone, and pepper newbies with mini-nukes, because they can't.

It's highly unlikely that a player will grind out launch codes just to troll someone by nuking their base. And if they do, then they've done that player a favor by giving them instant access to rare resources.

In the unlikely event you do run into a troll who's only goal is to kill you over and over, you can just head to a new server without any issue. You may lose your junk, but junk is in abundant supply. Switch servers and go get more junk. No problemo.
    Yeah, in video games, players are always trying to circumvent the rules / limitations set in place by the develop and it doesn't matter what developer it is. The problem is video game players being shitty sometimes.

• Options
    Decomposey wrote: »

And when I tried a PvP server, I couldn't make it halfway to the Crossroads without getting ganked by max level rogues, so I left the server and never went back.

Mileage varies, and people have different experiences.
    That, and also this: While I maybe could have put up with this when I was in Stranglethorn thirteen years ago, a young man in college with no responsibilities or other time-consuming elements in his life, there is absolutely no way I - a mid-30s man with a job, long commute to/from it, and an infant child - could conceivably put up with it now. I have maybe half an hour of game-time per day, if that. If my entire play session consists of trying to do something, getting ganked, losing my progress, and ending in a worse place where I started, then I will be in a very frustrated mood that evening, and will probably never log in again.

And that is - broadly speaking - fine, because not every game needs to cater to me or my limitations and preferences. But, it's not clear to me what benefit you get from forcing everyone together into a PvP-ish environment that it would warrant making this decision and keeping people in my situation from playing the game.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    Missing from those Kotaku points is that if someone is a wanted murderer, the cap bounty that gets paid out to whoever nails them comes from the murderer's coffers. So people will be out to get you AND you pay them to kill you. That's pretty brilliant.

No, it means every ganker will have a friend/alt account that kills them when they get murderer status and gives them the money back.

These are the kind of ideas developers come up with thinking it will stop griefing when they think of griefers as just people playing the game who like to murder people, instead of players actually dedicated to ruining others fun. And they pretty much never work.
    I'm sure they could easily setup a code that people you party with will not trigger the bounty reward on you.

You also cannot select a server to play on. So trying to arrange to meet with a friend without partying will take many login attempts.

I feel like a "join friend" functionality is a super basic and expected feature and is something we should expect, but how this will work sans Steam on PC I dunno. I only have the bethesda.net app for the CK so I don't even know if there's a friend function yet. Obviously on console it's right there.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Not being able to join your friends is stupid. They can't be that dumb.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Please don't challenge them!

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Nobody has said that's the case so let's all take a chill pill before we run wild on it.

What I am specifically suggesting is that people on your friends list can't trigger the bounty applied on you and thus give you back your own caps. Which is a thing someone posted as a cynical hypothetical work-around of the system Bethesda disclosed so far (because none of us have actually played the game yet).

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    It's true no one has played this specific game yet, but we've all seen this shit happen in previous games and are well-aware of Bethesda's lack of attention to detail.

Ultimately, my personal solution to the problem is that there is no way I'm buying this game at launch. I'm going to let others be the guinea pigs and if the issues get ironed out, then I'll step in and give it a go.

• Options
    You can invite up to three other friends to your game. They keep all progress they've made and loot obtained when they return to their games. The game also has dedicated servers.

From what they've said so far it doesn't sound like you ever get to pick a server. You hit Play and off you go. Each time to log in you may be on a different server.

Now whether or not that changes by launch who can say. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it does. Honestly, Bethesda's comments about the game after the reveal and subsequent player feedback strikes me as Bethesda going, "Shit, why didn't we think of that?"

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Yeah.

I do enjoy me some PvP, but it doesn’t need to be in everything.

If you find yourself designing a bunch of systems to greatly discourage and punish PvP then maybe you should just leave it out.

Or if you really want it then keep it simple: let player’s toggle PvP on/off, with some sort of cool down. Extend the cooldown by x time if they damage or are damaged by a player. If people want nothing at all to do with PvP then they can just leave it off.

Anything else is just going to annoy everybody PvEers and PvPers alike.

This was my point as well; Bethesda seems to be jumping through all these hoops to try and stop players from being dicks, but yet the simplest way is to simply allow people to opt-out completely from any PvP if they want to, rather than attempting to implement all these overly-complicated systems that people will inevitably find ways around.

They WANT people to be able to be dicks. They want the coveted internet dick demographic, and their money. They also want the PVE peoples money.

The systems they are describing are not designed to protect people from being harassed. They are designed to make the harassment just bearable enough that people don't quit the game, while giving the internet dicks people to prey upon.

100% not a bug, it's a feature.

It's a terrible balancing act.

On one hand, the aggressive bloc ("dicks") need prey. Bots are clearly inadequate for this, but in terms of challenge, but in the platonic sense--they're not human. It's the same reason fighting bots in Battlegrounds mobile posing as human is flawed: even if bots were actually more capable than human players, they're still bots.

On the other hand, the unaggressive bloc ("not dicks" or maybe "wimps") doesn't want to be preyed on. They want a controllable, and as necessary avoidable challenge--what we'd think as the more typical Fallout experience. But unfortunately they're fuel for the the first category. If you're really into that first category for whatever reason (they're more likely to spend more, they coincide with the game's original creative vision, or something else), you have to keep the second category accessible as prey. If 99% of whimps/not dicks remove themselves from the PVP ecosystem, and that starts having a discernible impact on the dicks due to population imbalance...now you have a problem.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzFN3jmGB4k
    You know...you think you're ready to see Vault Boy take a bite out of a giant bloodgorged tick but you're not.

You're not.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/9asleu/pete_hines_confirms_that_fallout_76_private/

Pete Hines confirmed on Twitter that you won't be able to host your own servers for Fallout 76. He said you can have a private server for just you or your friends, but it would be through them. He didn't mention whether that would cost anything or how much, but I have to assume it wouldn't be free. He was also asked about how mods would work with that setup and he responded "why don't we just get through launch first. there's plenty of things we need to figure out for post-launch that, quite honestly, just aren't at the top of the list of things to do at the moment."

The main thing that kinda sucks about that is once Bethesda decides to quit supporting/hosting the game, no more Fallout 76. They could then release the server software, but I'm skeptical on that happening.

• Options
    That's a huge bummer, and that answer to the mod question is mildly irritating. I would rather he just said "We have all of our attention focused on launch right now, consideration will be give to mods after that"; the "why don't we just" stuff makes is sound really condescending, and also makes me think "oh, they have no actual intent to do mods".

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    That's a huge bummer, and that answer to the mod question is mildly irritating. I would rather he just said "We have all of our attention focused on launch right now, consideration will be give to mods after that"; the "why don't we just" stuff makes is sound really condescending, and also makes me think "oh, they have no actual intent to do mods".

Yeah, my concern with that part is if mods aren't designed around from the beginning, they're going to have to be tacked on, and that doesn't bode well.

• Options
    I sure do hate when games don't let you host your own servers. There is really no good reason for it. I've heard the "it stops cheaters!" argument a few times but then those games end up being flooded with them anyway. I'm sure that won't be any different here.

I would love to be positive for once but it seems like everything they say and do just sounds like it will be little more than a brief, cute excursion that won't actually end up going anywhere. And if that's the case - no TES6 or F5 MP at all, and I would absolutely love to run around those worlds with friends.

• Options
    The "private server" news is certainly a thing. And while I'm typically not cynical part of me is worried that the "just you and your friends" part actually only means three other people and not like a full server full. Will have to wait and see on that I suppose.

As to the mods, eh. They already said back in June that mods wont be in at launch. In fact that is pretty standard for TES games. Mod stuff usually comes a couple months later, usually 2-3 months after launch.

If I were to guess how mods will work then this is what I am expecting.

It'll all be through the Creation Club (if nothing else I fully expect this to be absolutely true). You'll have two varieties. Creator stuff that costs money and may or may not be fairly indepth (mini-DLC) and Free mods that I feel will likely be basic stuff (skins and the like).

With this "private server" announcement I think the mods you have (Creator or Free) will probably never bar you from joining any server.

• Options
    Bethesda says 'We don't need to deal with mods right now'.

BETHESDA says that.

Getting hard to move in here with all these Red Flags in the way.

• Options

BETHESDA says that.

Seems like they're really starting to regret the amount of control fans have over the modding community, which is a shame if they actually feel that way.

• Options
    Still waiting to see how things play out instead of reading the worst into every decision / thing going on.

• Options
    I think I've learned enough that I am going to avoid the game at launch. I do still want to play it at some point, but I'll wait for a sale and for the launch to sort out the issues.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I still dont know what you actually do in this game besides building a C.A.M.P and shooting other players.

No NPC's? I'm interested but they havent presented it well at all.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I still dont know what you actually do in this game besides building a C.A.M.P and shooting other players.

No NPC's? I'm interested but they havent presented it well at all.
    Think stuff like Rust, Ark and Conan if you're familiar with those games.

There will still be a main story questline and sidequests though but they'll come/start in the form of stuff like robots, terminals, probably notes and stuff of that sort. A big part of the appeal and hook here will probably be player interactivity and community.

If you like exploring in Bethesda games, there will be quite abit to look forward to in that regard since I imagine its going to have the usual Bethesda environmental storytelling and sense of exploration into "what the hell happened here?".

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    A big part of the appeal and hook here will probably be player interactivity and community.

The thing is that the 'player interactivity and community' are the main reasons why many players in games like Ark and Conan flee to private servers with passwords. Because a large portion of the 'community' are aggressive griefing cheating shitbirds.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My main enjoyment with Conan, is finding an interesting piece of geography, and building a base up and around it. Bridges spanning crevices, stair cases spiraling up around rock pillars, way to many round towers.

It makes every base have a unqiue personality and lets me be creative.

With what I know about their CAMP system, I don't see myself being able to do something similar.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    Where's the actual gameplay vids? This flaming thing is due this November, and we still haven't seen shit that hasn't been massaged yet.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

BETHESDA says that.

Seems like they're really starting to regret the amount of control fans have over the modding community, which is a shame if they actually feel that way.

Not that hard to figure out. They want to be able to squeeze money out of players for every little thing like most other publishers try to do these days, they just happen to be probably the premiere company for putting out games people want to mod. It may take a while to beat the desire for player mods out of their community, but they'll put in the time to do it.

I'd be pretty surprised if the next full Elder Scrolls or Fallout game doesn't see the end of the kind of modding that have kept Bethesda games good and playable.

• Options
    Sadly I agree.

Bethesda showed their hand too early and now they got to do things in a more slow paced manner.

• Options
    Remember when Morrowind came with a disc that had the construction set and the raw assets (models, textures, etc)?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Remember when Morrowind came with a disc that had the construction set and the raw assets (models, textures, etc)?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

And there was a day one or close to day one mod released by one of the Bethesda team members for a set of Mandalorian armor too.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
This discussion has been closed.