Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Item degradation didn't bother me much in NV where there was a threshold above which an item was "damaged" but still functioned normally. Having my rifle do one less damage after I've shot it once and it's dropped to 99.7% condition ala FO3 would drive me up the wall. Again.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I think you might be able to just extract that SFX file and play it on a loop in your media player of choice.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Item degradation really helps my packrat problem because I can just eat those extra weapons and it feels productive!

Item degradation really hurts my packrat problem because I need to carry enough to repair all of my weapons three times over just in case.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Beta probably isn't happening for awhile but apparently they're already sending out beta keys to people that preordered on Amazon.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Beta probably isn't happening for awhile but apparently they're already sending out beta keys to people that preordered on Amazon.

They are also marketing it as 'We're looking for beta testers' and then pointing you to the site that says you get a beta key if you pre-order.

I find that rather frustrating.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Item degradation makes sense in an mp focussed game.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Going to go ahead and predict that fusion cores are going to be a LOT more rare to make them feel more like a valuable and precious power up.

In Fallout 4, by the halfway point I had amassed enough of them to the point I didn't have to step out of it anytime soon.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I hated the Fusion Core mechanic.

I never really used my stockpile of various Power Armors because of that.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Sirialis wrote: »

I never really used my Power Armor because of that.
    Power armor got a HUGE buff in 4 so it would be a lil much if there wasn't some sort of mechanic to attempt to make people more selective about when using it to avoid god mode in a tin suit.

They're super easy to stockpile though so they kind of failed at that.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »

I never really used my stockpile of various Power Armors because of that.

I just consoled myself 9999 Fusion Cores

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Item degredation is a good thing.

I beta tested the shit out of Don't Starve, and the devs were noticeably on a pattern of trying to stomp out any sort of automated or otherwise easy food and weapon collection / crafting we were doing. So I started to send reports on helping them out with that. If you think about it, once you reach a point of not having to worry about upkeep, you aren't really playing a game anymore.

That's the thing people are going to have to get used to with FO76, I think. This game is about upkeep and working toward it constantly. If you try to fight that or ignore it as a concept of the design, you're in for a bad time. I can only suggest rolling with it. Get enough food as you need for a day or so since it rots, don't try to create a food farm because it probably won't be possible (and if it is, don't get married to it as the thing to do because it can easily get patched out).

So shall it go with items too. Having the best gear ever in a survival situation trivializes the concept. You make it last for only so long, meaning it still has value to collect the components to craft / repair something. You don't get all complacent.

The only question is the rate of degrade. Fallout 3 baseline was too fast. I'm playing through with a mod that cuts that by 50%. Weapons are last maybe a bit longer than they should, but armor still burns out super fast (especially headgear, wtf FO3).

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

I beta tested the shit out of Don't Starve, and the devs were noticeably on a pattern of trying to stomp out any sort of automated or otherwise easy food and weapon collection / crafting we were doing. So I started to send reports on helping them out with that. If you think about it, once you reach a point of not having to worry about upkeep, you aren't really playing a game anymore.

That's the thing people are going to have to get used to with FO76, I think. This game is about upkeep and working toward it constantly. If you try to fight that or ignore it as a concept of the design, you're in for a bad time. I can only suggest rolling with it. Get enough food as you need for a day or so since it rots, don't try to create a food farm because it probably won't be possible (and if it is, don't get married to it as the thing to do because it can easily get patched out).

So shall it go with items too. Having the best gear ever in a survival situation trivializes the concept. You make it last for only so long, meaning it still has value to collect the components to craft / repair something. You don't get all complacent.

The only question is the rate of degrade. Fallout 3 baseline was too fast. I'm playing through with a mod that cuts that by 50%. Weapons are last maybe a bit longer than they should, but armor still burns out super fast (especially headgear, wtf FO3).

Yes. Except my whole life is desperately struggling to keep my bars from hitting 0.

I play games to escape from that shit. It is a very specific type of anxiety that I just 100% do not need more of.

There is a very real and legitimate "then this game just isn't for you" argument, and that's fine.

But I wish, in this world of too many sequels, that series I historically enjoy and want to experience more of would stop doing drastic swings into and out of "not for you" territory and instead opt for new IP to explore those new design spaces.

Granted these are specific issues to me and it is unrealistic for a major developer to cater to them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it that while your argument makes sense for a more tightly focused game like Don't Starve, it is a little bit disingenuous to say that an unwillingness to engage with one system in a series that is historically known for layers of systems as well as story means that the story as well as all of those other potentially enjoyable systems should be locked out.

Or something like that. I embrace authorial intent, and I don't think that every game should be made just for me. But something about your argument is rubbing me the wrong way. I hope I was articulate enough to get at least some of my feelings across here.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    They really shouldn't have to create a new IP when the survival genre already makes perfect sense for Fallout.

Speaking for me just me personally, I love the Fallout universe and I would love to see new experimental gameplay takes on it as long as they aren't playing russian roulette with the big sequels.

The mainline series isn't going anywhere so whether its gold or a dud, I have no problem with 76 existing.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »

Yes. Except my whole life is desperately struggling to keep my bars from hitting 0.

I play games to escape from that shit. It is a very specific type of anxiety that I just 100% do not need more of.

There is a very real and legitimate "then this game just isn't for you" argument, and that's fine.

But I wish, in this world of too many sequels, that series I historically enjoy and want to experience more of would stop doing drastic swings into and out of "not for you" territory and instead opt for new IP to explore those new design spaces.

Granted these are specific issues to me and it is unrealistic for a major developer to cater to them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it that while your argument makes sense for a more tightly focused game like Don't Starve, it is a little bit disingenuous to say that an unwillingness to engage with one system in a series that is historically known for layers of systems as well as story means that the story as well as all of those other potentially enjoyable systems should be locked out.

Or something like that. I embrace authorial intent, and I don't think that every game should be made just for me. But something about your argument is rubbing me the wrong way. I hope I was articulate enough to get at least some of my feelings across here.
    No I totally get the what you mean, especially there in the bolded. Video games (or films, books, tv shows, etc) have no value if they're causing you anxiety. So if that genre of play isn't for you (after you've already tried it in other things) then I'm not gonna sit around trying to convince you of otherwise.

What I was saying was more for people who aren't familiar with that kind of game already. I wish there was a way to try-before-you-buy in this regard and wouldn't know what to recommend that's at least on the cheap for people to get an idea. It wouldn't be FO76 but it would help bring some guesstimation into how that game would work out. Though without knowing the food decay and item degrade rates, it'd still be hard to say.

Bleh. When's the beta start again? We need this kind of info badly.

• Options
    Bleh. When's the beta start again? We need this kind of info badly.
    No date announced yet but with I wish Steam or Amazon would hurry up with putting the digital versions up for preorder so I can get a code squared away.

• Options
    I may be at the end of my patience with Fallout 3. Starting to run into Deathclaws and they aren't exactly fun to fight.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Two of the great things NV did were ammo types and the damage threshold system. Deathclaws were still tough but didn't have 7 billion HP like in 3. Unless you tried engaging them with buckshot.

I remember running out of ammo constantly in Point Lookout because this one enemy type had so much HP that even chaining headshots wasn't enough.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Two of the great things NV did were ammo types and the damage threshold system. Deathclaws were still tough but didn't have 7 billion HP like in 3. Unless you tried engaging them with buckshot.

I remember running out of ammo constantly in Point Lookout because this one enemy type had so much HP that even chaining headshots wasn't enough.

Threshold was great, ammo types were not. I much prefer the weapon specific effects like in 4 to tying it to ammo.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I may be at the end of my patience with Fallout 3. Starting to run into Deathclaws and they aren't exactly fun to fight.

Dart gun. Try the dart gun

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Strikor wrote: »

Threshold was great, ammo types were not. I much prefer the weapon specific effects like in 4 to tying it to ammo.

I hated the MMO-esque shift of FO4 to status effects on weapons over ammo types, being able to load up different ammo types and get different results matches the semi-realism of the setting a whole lot more than bullets that somehow shock or freeze things.

If I want a shooter for grinding out random-ass weapons with bizarre nonsensical effects, I'd rather just play a Borderlands game where they do that better anyway.

• Options
    A couple days ago or so I said I wanted to see a map comparing the Fallout game map sizes and such. I found one, via a reddit post, that overlays FO3 on FO4 on Skyrim.

According to that post Fallout 4 was 9.33 square miles (with Skyrim at 14.8), so Fallout 76 will be 37.32 square miles.

For further comparison supposedly Breath of the Wild was 223~ square miles in size.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Dart gun. Try the dart gun

This needs extra emphasis. The dart gun is about as important for fighting deathclaws as the mirror shield is for fighting Beholders in Baldur's Gate.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Has there been any mention of fast travel?

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    Fast travel works in a single player game because you can change the in-game time and load thing accordingly in a matter of seconds. FO76 is multiplayer. If someone were to 'fast travel,' what happens? Just instantly moving?

I wouldn't count on it. Remember, in Fallout 4 (which was apparently a lot of the testing ground for FO76 ideas) the Survival difficulty denied fast travel functionality. I bring that up because FO76 enforces survival rules (you must eat, drink, and I assume rest as well though it wasn't specifically mentioned).

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I like the idea of being able to unlock everything by leveling up, but you equip a set of perks/stats so you can't have everything at once. At least it sounded like you can shuffle your SPECIAL around.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Blakout wrote: »
    Bethesda in general, but especially Fallout, has one of the biggest disconnects I've seen between the real world and the internet echo chamber. The opinions in gaming communities are always more pronounced, but nearly everyone I know outside of the internet (gamers and non-gamers alike) loved Fallout 4, whereas the online consensus is largely that it's an irredeemable, broken heap of a game. I personally didn't get into the game but I don't think there's anything about it worthy of ire, and absolutely not the amount it seems to get.

And I mean say what you want about Bethesda, but there aren't very many companies capable of making the type of open-world RPGs they make with the same scale and quality. There's a reason their loudest critics still have 1,000 hours in every Fallout/Elder Scrolls game.

I've got no problems saying that the Fallout games are hot buggy messes with pretty dubious writing for their main plots while also being a hell of a lot of fun to play to the point of sucking up probably some ludicrous number of hours of my life.
    Fast travel works in a single player game because you can change the in-game time and load thing accordingly in a matter of seconds. FO76 is multiplayer. If someone were to 'fast travel,' what happens? Just instantly moving?

I wouldn't count on it. Remember, in Fallout 4 (which was apparently a lot of the testing ground for FO76 ideas) the Survival difficulty denied fast travel functionality. I bring that up because FO76 enforces survival rules (you must eat, drink, and I assume rest as well though it wasn't specifically mentioned).

FO4 had the quasi-fast travel thing with the BoS vertibirds. Having an item that could summon a vertibird that you could take to various locations (and other players could shoot down) would work within a MP game. It'd be derp as hell to explain exactly how there's someone willing and able to run an air taxi service in West Virginia right after the bombs fell, but people flying from point A to point B, shooting the minigun, getting shot at by people on the ground, crashing into someone else's virtibird taxi or base because the pathing will be crap? Totally worth it.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Blakout wrote: »
    Bethesda in general, but especially Fallout, has one of the biggest disconnects I've seen between the real world and the internet echo chamber. The opinions in gaming communities are always more pronounced, but nearly everyone I know outside of the internet (gamers and non-gamers alike) loved Fallout 4, whereas the online consensus is largely that it's an irredeemable, broken heap of a game. I personally didn't get into the game but I don't think there's anything about it worthy of ire, and absolutely not the amount it seems to get.

And I mean say what you want about Bethesda, but there aren't very many companies capable of making the type of open-world RPGs they make with the same scale and quality. There's a reason their loudest critics still have 1,000 hours in every Fallout/Elder Scrolls game.

I've got no problems saying that the Fallout games are hot buggy messes with pretty dubious writing for their main plots while also being a hell of a lot of fun to play to the point of sucking up probably some ludicrous number of hours of my life.

FO4 had the quasi-fast travel thing with the BoS vertibirds. Having an item that could summon a vertibird that you could take to various locations (and other players could shoot down) would work within a MP game. It'd be derp as hell to explain exactly how there's someone willing and able to run an air taxi service in West Virginia right after the bombs fell, but people flying from point A to point B, shooting the minigun, getting shot at by people on the ground, crashing into someone else's virtibird taxi or base because the pathing will be crap? Totally worth it.

I totally endorse Fallout Battlefield

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    So, I don't know how many of you play Fortnite, but I'm hoping that Bethesda is going to follow Epic's Battle Pass system in terms of monetization. By all accounts, it has been stupidly successful, even factoring in Fortnite's insane explosion in popularity.

For those that don't know how the system works, the rough overview is:
    • Each Season lasts 70 days (10 weeks).
    • Each week, there are challenges to complete that reward XP and "Stars".
    • Each day, you get a single challenge that rewards stars and XP. You can hold up to three at a time, so you aren't forced to complete them each day, but you do need to log in to add it to your log.
    • You level your account with XP each season, and also level a separate Battle Pass ranking with Stars. Both go up to 100.
    • Each level you gain for your account also grants Stars.
    • There is both a Free and Premium Battle Pass. The Free gives out a few small rewards, every 10 tiers or so.
    • Buyin for the Premium Battle Pass each season is ~$10 worth of virtual currency.
    • The Premium gives out rewards every tier.
    • Rewards range from minor things like loading screens all the way up to unique and rare skins.
    • Every 7/8 tiers of the Premium pass also gives you 100 virtual currency. (1300 for the season if you hit level 100, so the pass pays for itself if you get around 85).

The other really interesting thing that Epic does that I have not seen elsewhere (but may be), is instead of doing loot crates, cosmetic items in the store rotate randomly daily. Each day there are (usually) 2-3 skins, an emote, a dance, a glider, and a pick axe. The next day, they are all different. This drives people to buy things when they show up because you don't know when they will be back, so you get the fun little satisfaction of gambling without the risk of getting shit you don't want, which is kind of a less predatory way of doing it? Ish?

Either way, I've really enjoyed the Battle Pass system, especially since it pays for itself if you're playing a decent amount. There are still several weeks left and I'm going to be approaching Tier 80 by the end of the weekend when I finish this weeks challenges. So basically if I just grab my dailies and do all the weeklies I'll have fairly casually hit Tier 100 (estimating 45 hours played for the whole season projecting forward).

Edit: Also as an aside, anyone purchasing 76 on the PS4 should be very careful since Sony is apparently hijacking Epic accounts and locking them out from being used on any other service without any forewarning.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Can't wait for the vault tec experiment that requires four people to solve but at the end, three people have to die to unlock loot.

Theres a lot of weird shit you could do with the vaults in this one.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Fallout 76 monetization comes down to cosmetics, and all those items will be stuff you can find / craft in the game (provided you actually find the stuff in question).

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Can't wait for the vault tec experiment that requires four people to solve but at the end, three people have to die to unlock loot.

Bonus points if the 4 players don't kill each other and then after a minute or so the Vault PA is all "Congratulations on not being terrible people! Here's even more loot!"

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Bonus points if the 4 players don't kill each other and then after a minute or so the Vault PA is all "Congratulations on not being terrible people! Here's even more loot!"

I don't think you're quite familiar with Vault-Tec.

• Options

Actuallly. . . . :razz:

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Actuallly. . . . :razz:

That's not quite the same as rewarding them for not being terrible people. :P

• Options
    Well the reward was "Everybody doesn't die and you get to leave the vault".

That doesn't translate to well to players. So loot would be a solid replacement.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

It works in Borderlands

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »

It works in Borderlands
    Different game entirely, different systems.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Well yeah but multiplayer fast travel can work was my point.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    There could be teleporters or something. That's clearly a thing in that universe.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Conan has a fast travel system, no reason Fallout can't do something similar.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
This discussion has been closed.