As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heaven 'n Hell, Plug 'n Play (Super NES Classic, etc.)

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    At this point I have come to the conclusion that I will never get one of these since the fervor around the NES classic has made the secondary market for the SNES classic the primary market.

Unless Nintendo makes just an absurd shitload of these things they're always going to be instantly snapped up by scalpers. Oh well.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I would say I have hope they'll eventually make enough to meet demand, but I assumed that would be the case with NES Classic and it wasn't. So I don't know.

Like, with amiibo they were scarce for a long time but eventually Nintendo started meeting demand enough that you could generally find them on shelves long after release (with the exception of the recent Zelda ones for some reason). I thought NES Classic would be like that. But around the time the scalping/insanity was starting to die down and they probably could have dumped a big batch to make everyone else happy, they just quit. It was so bizarre.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Don't forget that a huge contributing factor to amiibo scarcity during that time was the strike that occured at a port or ports on the west coast, I can't remember the exact details. Cargo ships ended up sitting outside the port for months, cargo ships that were confirmed to be carrying Nintendo products.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I would say I have hope they'll eventually make enough to meet demand, but I assumed that would be the case with NES Classic and it wasn't. So I don't know.

Like, with amiibo they were scarce for a long time but eventually Nintendo started meeting demand enough that you could generally find them on shelves long after release (with the exception of the recent Zelda ones for some reason). I thought NES Classic would be like that. But around the time the scalping/insanity was starting to die down and they probably could have dumped a big batch to make everyone else happy, they just quit. It was so bizarre.

I still think it had something to do with the original licensing deal. The NES Classic was made with games from a lot of third parties. The original deal probably did not grant Nintendo the right to produce the item in perpetuity. Now they have the SNES Classic which has fewer games overall, but most importantly fewer third party games from fewer third party companies, and a higher price for what is probably very similar hardware. It seems like the whole thing was designed for a more sustainable third party relationship.

Dirty on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    This whole time, I can't help but think this is a missed opportunity to finally make My Nintendo worthwhile-- advance access to pre-orders, gauging interest, or something.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Dirty wrote: »

I still think it had something to do with the original licensing deal. The NES Classic was made with games from a lot of third parties. The original deal probably did not grant Nintendo the right to produce the item in perpetuity. Now they have the SNES Classic which has fewer games overall, but most importantly fewer third party games from fewer third party companies, and a higher price for what is probably very similar hardware. It seems like the whole thing was designed for a more sustainable third party relationship.

If the licensing was the case for the NES Classic, and Nintendo said they learned from the NES Classic fiasco, then why use third party companies again who would limit your production? Plus if it was just licensing, then Nintendo could have removed the games that they no longer had a license for and bring it out as a version 2 and would still have sold like crazy.

I believe that Nintendo made these as a collector's item / niche item and plan on just making enough to sell then move on.

Also someone mentioned here that Nintendo announced they will stop manufacturing after the holidays. Don't know if that is true, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Edit: I just noticed your idea that this could be for Nintendo to keep their relationship with third parties and yeah that makes sense too.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The more I think about it, the more irked I get at Nintendo.

"Hey, we're making a little mini SNES you can hook up to your TV that has pretty much all your favorite games from your childhood. Isn't that cool?"

Hell yeah that's cool, I'll take one!

"What? Oh ho ho, no. We only made enough for the garbage people to buy them up 5 or 6 at a time. If you want one, you're going to have to grease up your butthole and let a stranger fuck you in the ass."

That doesn't sound so great, can't you just increase production to meet the clear demand?

"Hmmmm 'fraid not. I can give you a number for a good butthole grease guy though!"

>:[

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

"Hey, we're making a little mini SNES you can hook up to your TV that has pretty much all your favorite games from your childhood. Isn't that cool?"

"What? Oh ho ho, no. We only made enough for the garbage people to buy them up 5 or 6 at a time. If you want one, you're going to have to grease up your butthole and let a stranger fuck you in the ass."

That doesn't sound so great, can't you just increase production to meet the clear demand?

"Hmmmm 'fraid not. I can give you a number for a good butthole grease guy though!"

Or it could be that Nintendo really did make a lot of them (and have a lot in the pipeline), but the scalperbots were still effective to wipe out preorders in the blink of an eye.

We may never know, really.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    You guys are strange.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

To be fair - and that's a really fucking hard thing for me to say, because I'm just as pissed about this debacle as anyone else - but to be fair, this only applies to the pre-order situation so far. When they're released in stores, it may very well be the case that Nintendo made a shitload of them and we'll have little trouble walking into a store and picking one up. Will that actually be the case? I seriously doubt it, but I'm willing to wait it out and see what happens before completely giving up on them.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Or it could be that Nintendo really did make a lot of them (and have a lot in the pipeline), but the scalperbots were still effective to wipe out preorders in the blink of an eye.

This is pretty much the same thing that happened with the NES mini. I think we do know what happened, and the whole "We're going to do a better job with the SNES one you guys! Trust us!" was just a straight up lie to keep the hype going for the thing.

I want to be proven wrong! I want there to be 2nd, 3rd, etc waves of minis coming out to meet consumer demand, but you just know it wont happen.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Naphtali wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    In other words, someone plays through the first level of Star Fox.

Now make a ten sixty minute video explaining that.

Fixed for GameXplain.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    You guys are strange.

At least this thread provides entertainment while we all wait for another chance.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited August 2017

This is pretty much the same thing that happened with the NES mini. I think we do know what happened, and the whole "We're going to do a better job with the SNES one you guys! Trust us!" was just a straight up lie to keep the hype going for the thing.

I want to be proven wrong! I want there to be 2nd, 3rd, etc waves of minis coming out to meet consumer demand, but you just know it wont happen.

Here's the thing -- maybe they did do a better job, but the scalpers went absolutely bananas. We have no way of knowing for sure.

Given the demand brought the Gamestop website to its knees for, what, six hours? I think there's a case to be made that Nintendo's improvements were wiped out by the scalperbots.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm looking at it this way. In the recent year or so, nintendo has undersold the NES classic and all their amiibos except (confusingly) the animal crossing ones. I don't see any reason to give them the benefit of the doubt concerning this item.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm looking at it this way. In the recent year or so, nintendo has undersold the NES classic and all their amiibos except (confusingly) the animal crossing ones. I don't see any reason to give them the benefit of the doubt concerning this item.

I will, since not only did the Animal Crossing Amiibos not sell, they really, REALLY not sold. They had to be gotten rid of at fire sale prices. In other words, it was a disaster. And this was after fairly soft sales of the Mario and Kirby lines. Nintendo probably guessed that Amiibos were kind of a fad and adjusted the production rates for the Zelda ones accordingly, but it turns out people were more attracted to the Zelda characters than the Animal Crossing ones (despite the strong sales of the Animal Crossing games). And, in fact, the latest Smash Amiibos have been pretty easy to find. Nintendo adjusts. Not always in the right direction, but they do try to compensate within reason.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Re: scalpers and bots

Ticketmaster has been having an arms race with scalper bots for years. Retailers like Gamestop haven't been, at least not at the same scale. I'm sure the same people that scalp tickets are happy to apply their incredibly evolved and sophisticated bots to hot items like the SNES Classic, but it's unlikely that the retailers are going to have access to equally evolved defenses. So of course the bots are going to gobble up preorders like a plague of locusts.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Physical in store pickup/preorder with a 1 per limit is probably the best option.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    In other words, someone plays through the first level of Star Fox.

Now make a ten six minute video explaining that.

And then make a top 10 list video of the top 10 videos explaining that

And then make a top 10 list of the top 10 top 10 lists of videos explaining that

(yes that is something I saw on youtube and it almost broke my brain)

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »

If the licensing was the case for the NES Classic, and Nintendo said they learned from the NES Classic fiasco, then why use third party companies again who would limit your production? Plus if it was just licensing, then Nintendo could have removed the games that they no longer had a license for and bring it out as a version 2 and would still have sold like crazy.

I believe that Nintendo made these as a collector's item / niche item and plan on just making enough to sell then move on.

Also someone mentioned here that Nintendo announced they will stop manufacturing after the holidays. Don't know if that is true, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Edit: I just noticed your idea that this could be for Nintendo to keep their relationship with third parties and yeah that makes sense too.

Again, it's all speculation on my part, but they might have specifically dropped the third parties that asked for too much. And releasing a version of the NES Classic without those games and different games in their place would have pissed off a bunch of people too.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Don't forget that a huge contributing factor to amiibo scarcity during that time was the strike that occured at a port or ports on the west coast, I can't remember the exact details. Cargo ships ended up sitting outside the port for months, cargo ships that were confirmed to be carrying Nintendo products.

Did we ever see a flood of those same amiibos hit the market after the strike? Because I don't think we did, which is why I also call bullshit on that one.

Nintendo is just historically bad at hardware production.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Did we ever see a flood of those same amiibos hit the market after the strike? Because I don't think we did, which is why I also call bullshit on that one.

We did see an increase though.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Did these stores even put limits on the preorders? Or could you preorder 10 for 15 minutes they were available?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

It would be nice to get rid of damnable retailer exclusives

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    Did these stores even put limits on the preorders? Or could you preorder 10 for 15 minutes they were available?

Technically they did. Once they sold through their allotment, they stopped selling them.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

We did see an increase though.

Remember how there happened to be restocks of certain first run Amiibo, stuff like Wii Fit Trainer that made no sense for them to be restocking? My theory is those came from the stock stuck on ships.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I look at eBay every so often for NES Classics for shits/giggles and it's annoying how many of the genuine listings are modded for extra games. I want that shit OEM, fuckin' clods.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    It's not surprising since they can generally sell them for a higher price with hundreds of games added on for next to no effort for the scalper.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I know this is Playstation related, but considering Secret of Mana was a SNES staple, this is pretty cool for those with a PS4/Vita:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    edit: aaaand this is the wrong thread.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I know this is Playstation related, but considering Secret of Mana was a SNES staple, this is pretty cool for those with a PS4/Vita:

The art style looks so so bad though. O_o

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »

The art style looks so so bad though. O_o

e7sm3qg9m23r.png

• Options
    Do you have a link to the real page? The webfilter here apparently hates that url shortening site.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hmmm mixed feelings on the new graphics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I think the graphics look ok. Not quite as bad as the FF 3d remakes of 3 and 4.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    The top down parts looked better than the close ins. Like that one shot with Flammie just highlighted how silly his hair is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Who the heck are Randi, Primm, and Popoi? Maybe they are merging it with a different game. I'll miss The Boy, The Girl, and The Sprite though.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Ugh I hope you can turn off the voices.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Re: scalpers and bots

Ticketmaster has been having an arms race with scalper bots for years. Retailers like Gamestop haven't been, at least not at the same scale. I'm sure the same people that scalp tickets are happy to apply their incredibly evolved and sophisticated bots to hot items like the SNES Classic, but it's unlikely that the retailers are going to have access to equally evolved defenses. So of course the bots are going to gobble up preorders like a plague of locusts.

At this point, I'm thinking it would just be better if they did away with pre-orders altogether and scalpers can just line up on launch day. At least in cases like this.
    Xaquin wrote: »

I will, since not only did the Animal Crossing Amiibos not sell, they really, REALLY not sold. They had to be gotten rid of at fire sale prices. In other words, it was a disaster. And this was after fairly soft sales of the Mario and Kirby lines. Nintendo probably guessed that Amiibos were kind of a fad and adjusted the production rates for the Zelda ones accordingly, but it turns out people were more attracted to the Zelda characters than the Animal Crossing ones (despite the strong sales of the Animal Crossing games). And, in fact, the latest Smash Amiibos have been pretty easy to find. Nintendo adjusts. Not always in the right direction, but they do try to compensate within reason.

I wonder if it ever occurred to them that interest might have been low because there was no new Animal Crossing game proper to go with them.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!