As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Reinventing equality, one language at a time

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Edge's biggest problem security wise is it's release schedule.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but web browsers are basically the guys in the hazmat suits that you send out into the plaguelands from a technical perspective. They go out into the world wide web and exchange data with strange computers more than any other piece of software. Vulnerabilities are searched for and found in every web browser constantly. Firefox and Chrome release the same day the vulnerabilities are patched, and they're usually patched the day they are disclosed or found. Edge is still on Windows' structured release schedule where updates A: only come on tuesdays outside of really specific shit, and B: the app's own release cycle is... quarterly I think?

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Addons are the showstopper for me. I use Firefox, and if a addon doesn't exist that I use, I will not use that browser.
    I have :
    "Don't touch my tabs" (stops tab hijacking by adding "rel=noopener" attribute to all hyperlinks that open in a new tab)
    "Enable Right Clock and Copy" (Websites don't get a say on how to override my browser)
    "Noscript" (Fun fact: Foxnews.com connects to 48 different servers when you load a page, and Facebook thumbs up icons run a tracking script for those who don't have a Facebook account)
    uBlock (ad blocker)
    Video DownloadHelper (If I can display it, I want to be able to download it. Your server sent me data by my request. Now I keep the data I requested)
    IG downloader (same thing as above)

I have a thing about websites telling me how I'm supposed to access data on their page. No. I made the request, and if you don't want me to have it, then give me a 403 and be done with it.
    On that same line of thought, F12 gives me life. You want to block me from doing something with some snottly little script? F12 - *snip* OK, how about now?

halkun on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    y'all should check out privacy badger, it keeps track of trackers

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    y'all should check out privacy badger, it keeps track of trackers

I just blackhole all of them.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    On an unrelated note:
    Man, Windows just gets so persnickety when you blow though one array boundary. It's all like "Whoa, buddy! This is the stack! You can't just come in here like that!" and I'm all like "Shut up! Your pointer is all the way over there, just give me these 10 bytes for the duration of the function and leave me alone! You have gigabytes for God's sake!
    I mean, it's just so inconsiderate, you know?

halkun on
  • Options
    halkun wrote: »
    On an unrelated note:
    Man, Windows just gets so persnickety when you blow though one array boundary. It's all like "Whoa, buddy! This is the stack! You can't just come in here like that!" and I'm all like "Shut up! Your pointer is all the way over there, just give me these 10 bytes for the duration of the function and leave me alone! You have gigabytes for God's sake!
    I mean, it's just so inconsiderate, you know?

Windows: Stay out of the kitchen until dinner's ready.

Halkun: But Mhaaam!

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    Addons are the showstopper for me. I use Firefox, and if a addon doesn't exist that I use, I will not use that browser.

I switched to Pale Moon a couple years ago so I could keep using real themes and addons.

The desire of every browser to emulate Chrome to the greatest extent possible is mind boggling to me. If I wanted to use Chrome, I'd just use Chrome.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I've switched to Vivaldi now that it has a cloud sync feature. It's still Chromium underneath, but it has a native dark theme and a few other things I like.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Also I've just installed GitLens in VSCode and I don't know why this isn't standard. The inline git blame alone is a huge time saver, not to mention moving all the history stuff into the IDE.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I've switched to Vivaldi now that it has a cloud sync feature. It's still Chromium underneath, but it has a native dark theme and a few other things I like.

Vivaldi is made by some of the original Opera team, so I've had my eye on it. I had trouble with managing it across multiple monitors back when it was new, so I haven't made the switch.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

Vivaldi is made by some of the original Opera team, so I've had my eye on it. I had trouble with managing it across multiple monitors back when it was new, so I haven't made the switch.

I think 2.0 fixed a lot of the biggest issues...definitely worth a shot again if you're interested in it.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    4:30 pm, shit on fire.

jNbQLvol.jpg

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    4:30 pm, shit on fire.

jNbQLvol.jpg

Shit always blows up at 4:30. This is why I try to clear out at 4:15. That way I'm in the car and so cannot check slack, email, or answer the phone when things go wrong.

I'm only half joking about both of those things.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Putting the go gopher in that comic made me think of an something I starred on github a long time ago and then, as usual, never actually got around to messing with it.

https://github.com/thejerf/suture

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    The Go gopher is adorbs and their new logo is terribad. Don't at me.

p2542051azmc.png

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    alright. docker is in production now. it is done. i can't go back. i don't want to go back.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't mind the new logo but, in typical google fashion, it seems like change for change's sake.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    alright. docker is in production now. it is done. i can't go back. i don't want to go back.

Is there a good explainer for Docker use cases? I get what it is at a high level and how it works in Linux at a low level, but I don't really know how it fits into my workflow. As opposed to vagrant, which made immediate sense to me.

For example, if I'm running multiple virtual hosts on one machine, using nginx proxy pass: Do I have a container with a server running for each one? Is the proxy server in a container? What does it get me beyond an old fashioned virtual host configuration?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Thread can correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like the containers use case is almost the same as for regular virtualization. In some ways it is just an optimization of the same idea. You pay for that optimization by having imperfect isolation since all the containers share the same kernel.

One big difference is that containers are composable, while the closest thing with VM's is snapshots and images.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    All I know is that the senior dev made the magic box for us, and told us how to use it, but I heard that the advantage of Docker is that you can mimic the production environment, so it make deploying easier, somehow?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Docker advantages for me as a developer: it's super-easy to set up specific dependencies (well, ignoring the configuration of said dependencies). I can have separate images for whatever versions of postgres that run isolated from each other, without having to go through the hassle of installing a ton of shit directly on my system.

Infra-wise it's super easy to deploy stuff. CI builds the new Docker image, pings infra, infra pulls Docker image, stops old version, starts new version.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    We've not got around to trying it in anger yet, but you can also compose a bunch of APIs together to run integration tests in an exact copy of production.

On a related note, we've got a few consultants in who have somehow managed to turn water into wine and get us 50% of our time to work on technical debt.

There's... Quite a bit of it.

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    We've not got around to trying it in anger yet, but you can also compose a bunch of APIs together to run integration tests in an exact copy of production.

On a related note, we've got a few consultants in who have somehow managed to turn water into wine and get us 50% of our time to work on technical debt.

You had consultants that actually managed to do something useful?

• Options
    Pretty much the same for me as what Echo said about docker.

For development:
    * I can run and test my code in exactly (or much closer to exactly) the same environment as production code really runs in more easily
    * I can much more easily have 15 different projects which each need a different version of python, different version of nodejs, different version of postgres, different version of elastic search (you see where I'm going here) without the mess and hassle of having those all actually installed directly on my system and keeping track of which is being used, which is active right now, etc.
    * I can MUCH MUCH MUCH more easily bring a new dev onto a project and have all of that above "just work" and not spend a week just setting it up
    * I can ensure everyone on the team is actually using the same, consistent version of everything as each other

For production/deployment:
    * I can build an image, run automated tests on it, deploy that exact image to staging to ensure it deploys and actually see it, then deploy that exact same image to production and they are 100% the same as my dev env. Compare that to traditional stuff where my dev environment is OSX, but then I'm deploying to a staging Ubuntu server (so OS libs are different, sometimes resulting in different dependency builds, etc) and every install to each server installs dependencies from npm, pypi, etc. meaning that each one does a bunch of manual work depending on outside sources and could fail even if the one 2 seconds ago worked ok. With docker, all of that installation and config was already done on the image build - that work doesn't have to be done again.
    * If/when there is an issue I can use the exact image as is currently deployed and blowing up to verify exactly what code is on there, see the bug locally, etc.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

You had consultants that actually managed to do something useful?

Yeah, they actually seem to be quite good at their job. I was hoping for like 20% of our time dedicated to tech debt, but they've somehow managed to persuade upper management to let us spend half our time on it.

Nice dudes too from having talked to them at length.

• Options
    That's pretty awesome. We've been trying to argue for more tech debt time, but we've always been low on manpower on my team (hasn't grown since I started in March 2017). Right now we're onboarding a new person, and a second might sign next week, so once those are on board I hope we'll have enough people to do both needed maintenance as well as new stuff.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I keep wanting to try Docker, but since it and VMware Workstation can't live on the same machine I haven't been able to yet. Wheeeeeee.

• Options
    I keep wanting to try Docker, but since it and VMware Workstation can't live on the same machine I haven't been able to yet. Wheeeeeee.
    Run a linux vm and then run the docker daemon inside that.

• Options
    templewulf wrote: »

Is there a good explainer for Docker use cases? I get what it is at a high level and how it works in Linux at a low level, but I don't really know how it fits into my workflow. As opposed to vagrant, which made immediate sense to me.

For example, if I'm running multiple virtual hosts on one machine, using nginx proxy pass: Do I have a container with a server running for each one? Is the proxy server in a container? What does it get me beyond an old fashioned virtual host configuration?

i think its technically up for you to design how you want to granulize your containers, but in my case, I have nginx on one container, and then I have my web application server on another container(s). I can control how many app containers I want, which in turn get propogated over a swarm automatically... Docker then load balances those containers automatically

the main selling points of Docker for me are

1) You don't need to fuck around with *nix configuration as much, because most of the essential web building blocks have well configured tried and true images for them... so in that sense it's like a package manager, but for deployable software components
    2) Easy scale up... across multiple machines
    3) Much more consistent testing because your local instance is more or less a clone of your production instance... without having to crud up your host machine with ugly things like postgres

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Jimmy King wrote: »

W... would that actually work? I was under the impression VM's couldn't do virtualization stuff themselves. (or maybe I've misunderstood something about Docker)

• Options
    edited December 2018

W... would that actually work? I was under the impression VM's couldn't do virtualization stuff themselves. (or maybe I've misunderstood something about Docker)

It would unless there's some particular about VMWare Workstation that I am unaware of. Docker doesn't virtualize the hardware, just software, which is much of what makes it so much lighter weight than a full VM.

Docker in a VM is technically what I'm doing with all of my docker stuff on AWS in EC2 instances and on Digital Ocean droplets. Hell, the Windows and OSX Docker daemons work that way as well. They fire up a super secret VM behind the scenes and before that was implemented, the official way to do it was that they built some tooling around VirtualBox.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    the normal use case of docker is that the container instances are not VMs

if you run them in a Mac or Windows setting though I think they are? it's unclear

i know that Docker wants me to turn on HyperV in windows, so I assume Docker uses VMs in Windows to avoid headaches

but if you just fire up Ubuntu, you're not getting a VM, you're getting a sort of virtual linux environment...

but in any case, you can definitely run docker within VMs, that's pretty common.

• Options

if you run them in a Mac or Windows setting though I think they are? it's unclear

i know that Docker wants me to turn on HyperV in windows, so I assume Docker uses VMs in Windows to avoid headaches

but if you just fire up Ubuntu, you're not getting a VM, you're getting a sort of virtual linux environment...

but in any case, you can definitely run docker within VMs, that's pretty common.

Yeah, on windows and mac the VM thing is because docker NEEDs linux. But for many of us, running in a VM is exactly what we are doing, whether we care or not. That's exactly what EC2 instances, Digital Ocean droplets, etc are. But that is the beauty of both VMs and Docker, you don't care. The VM is virtualizing the hardware, so for the most part, most of us don't care if it's a VM or bare metal. Docker is process/software virtualization, so it doesn't care if it's running on an OS installed in a VM or on bare metal.

• Options

Yeah, on windows and mac the VM thing is because docker NEEDs linux. But for many of us, running in a VM is exactly what we are doing, whether we care or not. That's exactly what EC2 instances, Digital Ocean droplets, etc are. But that is the beauty of both VMs and Docker, you don't care. The VM is virtualizing the hardware, so for the most part, most of us don't care if it's a VM or bare metal. Docker is process/software virtualization, so it doesn't care if it's running on an OS installed in a VM or on bare metal.

But does Docker care if it's running on bear metal?

• Options
    edited December 2018

But does Docker care if it's running on bear metal?
    It does. In fact, it prefers it.

349aaf35eeb251ad23bd708f383b4651_400x400.jpeg

well.. uh, that was working, then broke. Not sure if that's a twitter or pa forums thing.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    Friday afternoon rant time!

Just as wasm has made possible a future where the web browser is liberated from the Javascript hegemony, I am getting inundated with appeals to use tools and services implemented in node. It is as though these folk are unaware the the very existence of node is an abomination. Dark was the day when this nightmare of a language was allowed to escape the web browser, like a psychotic veloceraptor let out of its electrified pen by a lazy janitor that doesn't understand the evil their negligence has unleashed.

• Options
    Friday afternoon rant time!

Just as wasm has made possible a future where the web browser is liberated from the Javascript hegemony, I am getting inundated with appeals to use tools and services implemented in node. It is as though these folk are unaware the the very existence of node is an abomination. Dark was the day when this nightmare of a language was allowed to escape the web browser, like a psychotic veloceraptor let out of its electrified pen by a lazy janitor that doesn't understand the evil their negligence has unleashed.

I will say a prayer in remembrance of you.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Thanks for all the feedback, everybody! That helped me approach the whole thing with a fresh perspective.

I did some new research and found an article that takes a similar approach to what I wanted to try with nginx with docker: https://blog.ssdnodes.com/blog/host-multiple-websites-docker-nginx/

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    One thing I've noticed I do a lot lately is build myself command line clients. If I have a problem with a web service, I'm starting to throw together click based Python clients to debug it. It's a nice combination of winding up with a utility I can go back to that reflects the problem space, and pulling the code into the PyCharm debugger when I'm trying to figure out how something works.

• Options
    Oh WiX Installer, you are so cool, but yet so dumb! Stop trying to validate and stage my TrueType font for installing in Windows. It's for my game and will not be installed system wide. (BTW suppressing ICE07 will turn off just the font check. ICE60 is the warning afterwards, you can suppress that too, but if feel turning off the check is better then suppressing the warning)

This discussion has been closed.