As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E-mail passwords compromised

JansonJanson Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
About a week and a half ago I tried to log into my hotmail account and found that my password was invalid. I am 100% certain I was entering the password correctly. I managed to reset the account (using my secret question) and then I checked everything that used either my hotmail account or the same password.

Although I had a few accounts (ebay, paypal, etc.) tied to my hotmail account, none of those had been accessed. The only other account that I could not access (again, password was invalid) was one of the g-mail accounts that is tied to my hotmail (i.e. my hotmail is the secondary address).

Changed passwords, ran virus checkers on my home and work computer (both are behind routers, firewalls and have anti-virus running, nothing appeared), spyware, etc. Everything seemed clean. No harm had been done.

Anyway, the exact same problem happened again today. Hotmail and another of my gmail accounts (but this time a different one) had my passwords appear as invalid. Again, I am 100% certain I was entering the passwords correctly, and again, no harm seems to have been done. I managed to reset the passwords.

Has anyone else had this happen, or can anyone offer an explanation as to why this has happened? Both times my passwords were fairly secure, i.e. a mixture of letters and numbers, nothing specific to tie them to me or that anyone could easily guess. I've only accessed my mail accounts from home and from work, and every day I go home from work I'm sure to log out and clear cookies, etc.

Janson on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Don't hate me on this, but are you sure your keyboard lay-out is correct? I've had mine swap between Dutch and American(standard) every now and then, screwing everything up.

I have no idea what else it could be, I advise you change your paypal/ebay/etc to a not-hotmail e-mail service, but then again, I wouldn't use hotmail for anything worthwhile. :|

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yes; I'm sure. Besides, I had a few other things with the same password that I was able to log into.

I changed my paypal/ebay etc. to gmail instead of hotmail. I don't have any non-web based e-mail addresses.

Janson on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd be willing to bet it's your work computer. There is probably a keylogger on it if anything is going on.

First, change all your important passwords again from home.
    Second, stop accessing these accounts from work until you figure this out.
    Third, read this.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,114738-page,1/article.html
    And this.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,114738-page,3/article.html
    Fourth, notify your IT dept.

Hopefully you can track down the problem. Also, check your computer physically too. If it's normally under your desk or something, there could be a USB device attached and you may not now.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As well, it could be hotmail/gmail locking down your account for multiple attempts to login incorrectly.

Someone could be TRYING to hack your accounts, and failing miserably.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    On my mother's apple laptop I have to enter my password about 2-3 times before it lets me into my email.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I am my work's IT department ;)

I won't access hotmail again from work. I did have trillian set to log in automatically (trillian is passworded, but I realise that doesn't mean much) but I can just as easily just use AIM.

In fact that's how I discovered the problem the first time - loaded up trillian, wouldn't automatically connect to hotmail, so went to hotmail to see if I could manually log in.

I run spybot and adaware fairly often in addition to the virus scans. I might have a chat with my bosses to see about setting up extra security, though.

Both times this appears to have happened during the night when I've been asleep, incidentally.

Janson on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the fact that you were able to reset the passwords without problem lends credence to the "accounts being locked out from bad attempts to login" theory.

If I were hacking someone's account, first thing I'd do is change the password, second thing is change the secondary email associated with that account so that it couldn't be reset. Obviously that's not happening here.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    I think the fact that you were able to reset the passwords without problem lends credence to the "accounts being locked out from bad attempts to login" theory.

If I were hacking someone's account, first thing I'd do is change the password, second thing is change the secondary email associated with that account so that it couldn't be reset. Obviously that's not happening here.

True, and I hope that this is actually the case, because it would mean that a) obviously my passwords are fairly secure and b) like you say, failure.

Janson on