As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TIA568A vs TIA568B

WaterfallSandSunWaterfallSandSun Registered User regular
edited July 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have wired the house with ethernet with 4 ethernet cables going into each room/wallplate. For the connections to the back side of the wallplates, I have learned that the instructions that I have been following was for the TIA568A specification. On every other end of the ethernet runs that is not going to a wall plate, they are wired according to the TIA568B specification.

So imagine all the ethernet cable connections that are not directly connected to the back end of each wallplate, such as the connection to the media panel, then from there to a switch/router/modem, or from the front side of the wall plate to whatever it is connected to (t.v., cable box, blu ray player,
desktop computer, laptop, another switch etc etc) are wired according to the TIA568B specification.

The only location wired according to the TIA568A specification is directly behind each wall plate.

Would there be any problems if I left it that way? Would it be more efficient if I rewired the back of each wallplate connection to the TIA568B specification?

I would probably do it if it was just a couple, but just wondering if it would make any difference or if it would be a waste of time. (Because there would be a crap load of work to be done to rewire each one, also, some of the runs are pretty tight with little to no slack left.)

Please explain everything to me in layman's terms if the post will be technical. Thanks.

WaterfallSandSun on

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    A/B only matters in that both ends of a given wire need to be pinned the same. You can plug something A into B and it doesn't matter, but you can't have a cable or run that's A on one end and B on the other.

Where do your runs from the wall plate go to? Is there a central patch panel? If that panel is wired up B then the wall plates being A is gonna be a problem.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    I have a central "media panel" or "patch panel" or "smart panel" where everything is run to (inside a closet). There is a modem, router, and switch there, which from that point distributes service to every room via multiple ethernet cables. But behind each wall plate it is wired according to the TIA568A specification. Everywhere else it is TIA568B.

Just hoping to avoid rewiring behind every wallplate with the multiple ethernet cords, especially since some of the runs are really tight.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I have a central "media panel" or "patch panel" or "smart panel" where everything is run to (inside a closet). There is a modem, router, and switch there, which from that point distributes service to every room via multiple ethernet cables. But behind each wall plate it is wired according to the TIA568A specification. Everywhere else it is TIA568B.

Just hoping to avoid rewiring behind every wallplate with the multiple ethernet cords, especially since some of the runs are really tight.

I think what @Aioua is saying is that even if you had to rewire something, it would probably be rewiring the panel to match the plates. If every plate is A and the Panel is B, wire the panel to A and all is well is my understanding of it. As long as both ends of a single end of cable are wired the same, you should be fine. Lots of people probably know way more about this than I do.

• Options
    phooey

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Yep they need to be same-same from end to end. Luckily changing them at the plate will be tedious but not horrible, as it's just a matter of removing the face, popping the jacks out of the plate, popping the wires out of the jack, and repunching them in the right order.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah I would change them at the patch panel/drop rather than at the plate/jack.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me