As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Backpacking in Colorado

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
Hey all,

I'm planning on backpacking the Four Pass Loop in Colorado, near Aspen, next month and right now the biggest worry is acclimating to the altitude (I'm from Dallas).

Right now our plan is to spend a full day in Colorado before actually embarking on our hike, but was curious if anyone had any other tips. I'm also really bad about gauging weather ahead of time so if anyone can chime in on that, all the better.

And obvious I would love to hear from anyone that's hike that area.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The weather is impossible to predict more than a day or two out and even then it wouldn't be like a full day of this or that type of weather. What you can count on is the weather changing rapidly over the course of each day. A good chance of rain and thunderstorms with high winds every day with at that time of year most likely the worst of it happening in the mid afternoon. Or it might just be sunny and hot the whole time. Best to pack for both, wearing layers every morning.

For the altitude, do you have experience at altitude before? For some people they aren't affected at all. For others they might feel squeamish or light headed a bit for a day or two. For others the altitude sickness can last last the entire time they are above whatever elevation threshold their body can tolerate. Again, another difficult thing to predict and the only real advice there is to be had is to keep hydrated with electrolytes and don't overdue your physical exertion until you settle in.

The trail you mentioned starts at over 9k feet and rises to over 12k feet. So if you hang out in Denver, which is around 5k feet, you might see some benefit coming from Dallas (google says 430 feet) but really the difference at 9k to 12k compared to 5k is rather striking if you are susceptible to altitude sickness. Aspen is 8k, so that is a better starting place but more expensive of course.

Personally I've never had trouble with elevations attainable in the lower 48, but I've known people who go from 4k to 7k and get sick for three days.

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    I'd spend at least a day acclimating to the weather somewhere near the trail head. I live in Iowa and travel to CO all the time, I'm in Vail right now. One day and you should be fine. As for the weather, you have to watch out for mid afternoon thunderstorms. So try to start your hike early, like day break, and be at lower altitudes by noon.

The real question is your field craft. If you are carrying 50 lbs, pack no wet weather gear, your feet aren't conditioned, and it rains and you end up with soaking wet everything and feet covered in blisters you are going to have a bad time.

If you know what you are doing, rain isn't going to be a big deal. We've slept in sleeping bags, no tent, living out of our ruck sacks for 6 days in the rain and it was fine because we had the right gear. I slept great!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    First advice I can think of that hasn't been mentioned: Sun protection. Screen, hat, lightweight long sleeved shirt, etc...
    There's a lot less atmosphere between you and severe sunburn here in Colorado than there is in Dallas, and if you're playing in the mountains that's even less protection. Also, due to the thin air and low humidity you don't feel the heat as bad so it can be really easy to get really burned if you're not aware.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I survived!

My gear/clothing actually ended up working perfectly, and my pack was a decent weight at 29lbs with food/tent/sleeping bag/clothing/etc.

Four Pass Loop was definately a challenging and humbling experience. The four passes were incredibly hard on all of us due to the stepness and still adjusting to the high altitude (though no one got sick). Combine with treking through rain and hail and there were times when I questioned my life choices.

Then again, almost every moments we were greeted with sights like these:

pixbnjg9igde.jpg