As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I mean, this is a series with summons like Fat Chocobo and Remora.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a pretty easy plat all things considered. Doing all the dumb rare hunts is the most annoying bit.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    OK, I need to head north of Nalbina, through the Mosphoran Highwaste and the Salikawood. Ah, Salikawood, here you are. Now do I exit on that path up to the top? [one TPK later] Nope. OK, maybe I should go off to the left? [one TPK later] Nope. I guess I'm going off to the right.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujF9CZJyshQ

11 minutes of gameplay from the SoM remake.

• Options
    I'm a little worried by the assertion that the game is largely unchanged aside from the new graphics and voices and stuff.

If there was ever a time to try and fix the rushed bits...

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I still want to see later area gameplay, mostly so I can see magic being used. Also, I find it irksome that the person playing didn't even attempt to use a charged attack. I mean, there's a good possibility that the person playing never played the original or maybe even wasn't even born when the original came out...man I feel old.

Cruor on
  • Options
    Also, I've only encountered them in Trial Mode, but mind flayers are the worst.

• Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujF9CZJyshQ

11 minutes of gameplay from the SoM remake.

Sigh, looks like they didn't do anything to modernize the combat. I was hoping they would put in the much better SD3 system in there.

• Options
    SD3 combat frustrates me sometimes. Why can my allies dash all over the place in combat while I'm restricted to a slow shimmy?

A moment of silence for "Rabite gets whacked".

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Oh man, that music after he falls really hit a memory chord.

Edit: and I'm totes okay with the same combat iiiiif they implement online multiplayer.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Oh man, that music after he falls really hit a memory chord.

Edit: and I'm totes okay with the same combat iiiiif they implement online multiplayer.

Only if they remove the invisible walls preventing you from straying from your party members. I can just imagine online trolls parking themselves miles from the nearest door.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I never played the original SoM, so the HD remake is somewhat enticing, but I'd much rather have it on the Switch than PS4.

• Options
    I'm glad the remake is gonna be on Steam as well. I played the original with my brother so long ago and being able to play with him online with the remake will make it so great.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I just finished the PSP version of Type-0... I feel like this is a rare opinion, but I loved it.

Got very attached to the cast and environments. Amazing music, fun gameplay, A+ would play again.
    DIbwZP2W0AMkMQd.jpg
    DIbwZXsXYAEi-MS.jpg
    DIbwZPaXcAEGiYY.jpg
    DIbwbQlXgAAEWGs.jpg

I'm strongly tempted to go buy the HD version now.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I just finished the PSP version of Type-0... I feel like this is a rare opinion, but I loved it.

Got very attached to the cast and environments. Amazing music, fun gameplay, A+ would play again.
    DIbwZP2W0AMkMQd.jpg
    DIbwZXsXYAEi-MS.jpg
    DIbwZPaXcAEGiYY.jpg
    DIbwbQlXgAAEWGs.jpg

I'm strongly tempted to go buy the HD version now.

I did not see that scene when I played through the game, and thought I was being reasonably thorough?

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I believe that event happens after you complete a side quest chain that is rather out of the way and also rather...gross.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Hey, I worked on the PSP version's fan translation! Nice to see someone playing that version. :)

Yeah, that quest line is pretty tough to stumble upon and see through to completion. And it's more than a little skeevy.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    SOM remake has online MP.
    But no local mp

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SOM remake has online MP.
    But no local mp

Is that a hypothetical or real info?

If the latter, I'm not getting the game.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Yeah it's confirmed.
    4Gamer reports that the Secret of Mana remake will have online multiplayer for up to three players. The Vita version will use local multiplayer.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/secret-of-mana-remake-announced-for-ps4-vita-and-steam/

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Well. That's actually a deal-breaker for me.

I hope y'all who get the game enjoy it.

I'll just fire up the SNES with my brother.

Enlong on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Hey, I worked on the PSP version's fan translation! Nice to see someone playing that version. :)

Yeah, that quest line is pretty tough to stumble upon and see through to completion. And it's more than a little skeevy.

I actually never saw her again. :( Probably missed something.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Really? No local coop? Cmon man. My wife would love to play with me.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    4Gamer didn't explicitly say that there isn't local co-op, afaict?

• Options
    In FF12HD, what does the Diamond Armlet (or is it bangle) actually do? I see that people say it increases the chance for rare items to drop in chests but all I seem to get are knot of rusts.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    In FF12HD, what does the Diamond Armlet (or is it bangle) actually do? I see that people say it increases the chance for rare items to drop in chests but all I seem to get are knot of rusts.
    I remember this. So, the diamond armlet just changes the drop tables dramatically. You get a better chance at the real rare items in the chest. But, everything else in the chest will be a knot of rust.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    I remember this. So, the diamond armlet just changes the drop tables dramatically. You get a better chance at the real rare items in the chest. But, everything else in the chest will be a knot of rust.

And the only time you want to equip it in FFXIIHD is on Cerobi Steppe or if you want lightning immunity.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Specifically:

Chests in FF12 have several properties. First is the chance of the chest spawning. Next is whether or not the chest can respawn if it's already been collected. Then you have the % chance that the chest has gil vs an item. If it has gil, then there's values for gil ranges.

None of these things are affected by the Diamond Armlet.

If the chest rolls an item, then it looks at the item tables. Without the Diamond Armlet equipped, there are two item possibilities, each with a 50% chance of being chosen (sometimes these are the same items, particularly in the case of most one-time chests).

However, if you equip the Diamond Armlet, it changes the loot table. Instead of the previous two items at 50/50 chance, there are two new items distributed at a 95/5 chance. So you get one particular item 95% of the time and another item 5% of the time. Notably, in the case of the one-time chests, both of these also have the same item result (so you can't miss it by having the Diamond Armlet equipped). I think base XII had bugs in some of these chests where it did change their treasure, but those are fixed in Zodiac Age.

What does all this mean?

Well, for the overwhelming majority of the chests, the 95% item is a Knot of Rust, and the 5% item is one of the four varieties of Meteorite. The major exceptions are all in the late game, and most of these are in the Cerobi Steppe, where the 5% results hold a bunch of super rare items throughout the area. Of course with low chest spawn rates, high chest gil rates, and only 5% good item drop rates, you'll be farming a long time to get anything good. Routinely, you can run the entire Steppe with the Armlet equipped and not get a single good treasure drop. I've only had the patience to get a few of these myself, and Zodiac Age appears to be a bit easier to get some of the items (notably I got a Scorpion Tail as a drop from a rare game in the mines, which isn't even listed in the official guide as a place to get the weapon).

So does this make the Diamond Armlet worthless?

It depends on how you play. It's worth noting that the Knot of Rust item isn't quite as useless as it may seem. You use it as an Item to do some damage. That in and of itself isn't spectacular, but I got the killing blow in on a Magic Pot with one of these (and most attacks do a flat 0 to those enemies; I killed the one in the Trials with a Quickening chain followed by a lowly Knot of Rust for the kill).

Also, the Dark Matter items you get in the late game deal damage based on how many Knots of Rust you've used in the game so far. So if you want to have a few burst damage options with Dark Matter, you'll want to collect and use tons of Rust.

Finally the Meteorite items can give you access to various damage and status effects you may not otherwise have depending on your job choices and whatnot.

I haven't checked the formulas to see if these items are more or less useful in a NG- low level run.

tl;dr - Use the Diamond Armlet specifically when you're wanting to farm particular items and avoid it otherwise. Only wear it in the Cerobi Steppe if you don't care about Knots of Rust, Dark Matter, or Meteorite.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Alternatively use RNG manipulation to insure you get the correct item. There is an entire program devoted to doing this for FF12. I think it is the same for zodiac age.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Also, the Dark Matter items you get in the late game deal damage based on how many Knots of Rust you've used in the game so far. So if you want to have a few burst damage options with Dark Matter, you'll want to collect and use tons of Rust.

What a weird mechanic! XII is weird.

Finished a replay of III (the Onion kids' saga) the other day. I had completely forgotten how horrible the endgame is. It's aggravating that they basically force you into playing Ninjas + Sages for the dark world. The upgraded job system in V where all of the jobs are useful is a welcome improvement.

At least the dungeons with the splitting monsters were less awful this time, since I already knew how to deal with them.

Also, special callout to Bahamut for casting Megaflare on his first three turns consecutively, causing a wipe and forcing me to replay his entire dungeon.

• Options
    if I remember correctly, the DS version of III makes the job balancing more, well, balanced. My final job setup was Ninja, Knight, Summoner, Devout.

It doesn't do anything to make the Crystal Tower/Dark World combo any less arduous, though. In fact, it makes Cloud of Darkness more deadly than before.

• Options
    Hmmm ... Looking at my license boards and I think I might have blocked myself off from some of the bigger & better spells. Oh, well.

• Options
    I finished Wraithwall's Tomb a little bit ago (been running around doing hunts and stuff) and still haven't put Panelo in my party. Am I setting myself up for failure?

• Options
    It's good to have all 6 characters at full power so that if you get in an emergency situation (with downed party members) you can swap in fresh backups to turn things around.

You can beat the game just fine without that, but it's a nice safety valve.

It's also plenty possible to catch her up on levels any time. Not only can you revisit low-level areas if you want to do so safely, but you can organize your team and gambits in such a way to make her quite safe even in high-level areas. Spells like Decoy, Stop, and Immobilize can protect vulnerable party members, especially if you hand them ranged weapons or magic.

This game has a New Game - mode (that's a minus sign), which restricts your levels to 1 for the entire game. It's perfectly beatable that way. You should be okay.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    I think I'll get around to it soon enough. You're right that it would be handy to have her available in a "oh shit" moment like when I was doing the trial mode. Almost had the dragon killed but ran out of everything at the end... And she's level 12 with no LP spent yet. So she was a waste of time.

• Options
    RE:FF3j

Yes, the Famicom railroads you into Sagex2 and Ninjax2. Sage isn't as good in the remake so you don't need it during the final battle.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Hence Dissidia Onion Knight's EX mode.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Specifically:

Chests in FF12 have several properties. First is the chance of the chest spawning. Next is whether or not the chest can respawn if it's already been collected. Then you have the % chance that the chest has gil vs an item. If it has gil, then there's values for gil ranges.

None of these things are affected by the Diamond Armlet.

If the chest rolls an item, then it looks at the item tables. Without the Diamond Armlet equipped, there are two item possibilities, each with a 50% chance of being chosen (sometimes these are the same items, particularly in the case of most one-time chests).

However, if you equip the Diamond Armlet, it changes the loot table. Instead of the previous two items at 50/50 chance, there are two new items distributed at a 95/5 chance. So you get one particular item 95% of the time and another item 5% of the time. Notably, in the case of the one-time chests, both of these also have the same item result (so you can't miss it by having the Diamond Armlet equipped). I think base XII had bugs in some of these chests where it did change their treasure, but those are fixed in Zodiac Age.

What does all this mean?

Well, for the overwhelming majority of the chests, the 95% item is a Knot of Rust, and the 5% item is one of the four varieties of Meteorite. The major exceptions are all in the late game, and most of these are in the Cerobi Steppe, where the 5% results hold a bunch of super rare items throughout the area. Of course with low chest spawn rates, high chest gil rates, and only 5% good item drop rates, you'll be farming a long time to get anything good. Routinely, you can run the entire Steppe with the Armlet equipped and not get a single good treasure drop. I've only had the patience to get a few of these myself, and Zodiac Age appears to be a bit easier to get some of the items (notably I got a Scorpion Tail as a drop from a rare game in the mines, which isn't even listed in the official guide as a place to get the weapon).

So does this make the Diamond Armlet worthless?

It depends on how you play. It's worth noting that the Knot of Rust item isn't quite as useless as it may seem. You use it as an Item to do some damage. That in and of itself isn't spectacular, but I got the killing blow in on a Magic Pot with one of these (and most attacks do a flat 0 to those enemies; I killed the one in the Trials with a Quickening chain followed by a lowly Knot of Rust for the kill).

Finally the Meteorite items can give you access to various damage and status effects you may not otherwise have depending on your job choices and whatnot.

I haven't checked the formulas to see if these items are more or less useful in a NG- low level run.

tl;dr - Use the Diamond Armlet specifically when you're wanting to farm particular items and avoid it otherwise. Only wear it in the Cerobi Steppe if you don't care about Knots of Rust, Dark Matter, or Meteorite.

Welp. That explains all the knots of rust in my inventory. Would be nice if the game told you a little more than fuck-all about what equipment does.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Isn't that basically FF in a nutshell? I mean the damn Elemental weapons did nothing in FF1! It's tradition at this point!

• Options
    XII in particular was specifically designed to sell guides.

The devs' spin on it was that it was to encourage conversation between players -- that the nature of chests would be revealed as you talked to your friends about the game and you realized, for instance, that you got different things out of chests, or that different chests appeared for each of you.

That's obvious bullshit when you look at the original requirements for obtaining the Zodiac Spear (minus the ultra-rare mines chest), not to mention most of the rare game.

XII is fantastic, but I've never played it without a guide in hand, and I can't imagine ever doing so even after 3+ playthroughs.