As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I look forward to the adventures of Beer Jansen, Keg Knight and St. Ragu, Pastamancer.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    They would go well in Jerry's new campaign, the World of Loam. As Beer Jansen, St. Ragu, and the other Knights who say "Wheat" quest through the Carblands battling the evil villain Keto...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Id play it. Couldnt be worse than 15.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Unfortunately in the 3rd act the Knights who say "Wheat" learn of the terrible truth hidden inside their golden kingdom: the Glutitan was secretly manipulating them the whole time. I mean, it could've been cool but it just comes out of left field all the progress they were building up with Keto just gets dropped overnight.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    And finding out that Diabetelgeuse was the last boss after traversing the Celiabyrinth to seal away Glutitan was kind of a let down.

• Options
    Spoilers...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I've never been prouder of this thread. Well done.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    On a whim, I started playing Final Fantasy Tactics yesterday (the original PS1 version, purchased via the PSN and played on my PS3). Got through the first couple of missions last night, started it up again tonight, played a few more missions, went to Dorter Trade City and got absolutely destroyed. At which point I discovered, sigh, that this game comes from those distant past days before autosave was a thing; so tomorrow I guess I'll be playing the exact same missions as tonight, but with more saving between them.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    On a whim, I started playing Final Fantasy Tactics yesterday (the original PS1 version, purchased via the PSN and played on my PS3). Got through the first couple of missions last night, started it up again tonight, played a few more missions, went to Dorter Trade City and got absolutely destroyed. At which point I discovered, sigh, that this game comes from those distant past days before autosave was a thing; so tomorrow I guess I'll be playing the exact same missions as tonight, but with more saving between them.

Dorter Trade City is the ruin of everyone their first time.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Keep multiple save files.

A bit more clarification:
    There are a couple of times where you will be pushed directly from one mission into the next, with an opportunity to save inbetween. Never overwrite your previous save when that happens; there is at least one time where the final mission in the chain is much harder than the previous, so you can get locked into the fight without being able to back out and level up.

LD50 on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    LD50 wrote: »

There are a couple of times where you will be pushed directly from one mission into the next, with an opportunity to save inbetween. Never overwrite your previous save when that happens; there is at least one time where the final mission in the chain is much harder than the previous, so you can get locked into the fight without being able to back out and level up.

Sage advice! And yes, I always cycle my saves, just to be safe.

Also, staging multiple missions without intermediate save points (much like lengthy, saveless multi-stage boss fights) is kind of evil.

JOE_1967 on
  • Options

Also, staging multiple missions without intermediate save points (much like lengthy, saveless multi-stage boss fights) is kind of evil.

Oh, they have save points. That is the problem. If you save over your 'main' save and then find out that you can't beat the next mission, you're 100% boned because you won't be able leave to grind a bit to level up.

• Options

Oh, they have save points. That is the problem. If you save over your 'main' save and then find out that you can't beat the next mission, you're 100% boned because you won't be able leave to grind a bit to level up.

Good clarification. I still think it's evil.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Blame yourself or god.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Blame yourself or god.

No god would fain forgive such sin, much less embrace it!

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Blame yourself or god.

No god would fain forgive such sin, much less embrace it!

Looks like I’m going to be playing through this game again...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
  • Options
    And I got past Dorter Trade City (although everybody died except Ramza and the two guests) and went to the next mission and got destroyed. Guide time ...

• Options
    And I got past Dorter Trade City (although everybody died except Ramza and the two guests) and went to the next mission and got destroyed. Guide time ...

Losing characters is a Bad Thing (tm) because often you're investing a lot in them, and new ones have to then start from scratch. Not always game-breaking, but if you lost your whole party there you have a huge uphill battle haha.

Make sure you are changing people's classes too, that's how you get the good abilities. Don't be afraid to play a couple random battles before Dorter to prepare your party and give them a few good things to do.

Good luck! FF Tactics definitely doesn't hold your hand haha. It's a really great game imo, even if perhaps a little too brutal to new players.

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

Losing characters is a Bad Thing (tm) because often you're investing a lot in them, and new ones have to then start from scratch. Not always game-breaking, but if you lost your whole party there you have a huge uphill battle haha.

Make sure you are changing people's classes too, that's how you get the good abilities. Don't be afraid to play a couple random battles before Dorter to prepare your party and give them a few good things to do.

Good luck! FF Tactics definitely doesn't hold your hand haha. It's a really great game imo, even if perhaps a little too brutal to new players.

I know! I played through the entire thing back in my PS1 days, so I know it can be done -- I think I've gotten soft in my old age ...

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I know! I played through the entire thing back in my PS1 days, so I know it can be done -- I think I've gotten soft in my old age ...

Peace has cost you your strength, victory has defeated you.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    FFT was from back in the day when devs were pretty okay with punching you right in the dick and letting you figure out how to solve the problem. One of the rare games where I felt the harshness of the difficulty was a wonderfully effective reflection of the harshness of the game world; yeah, you might be the "hero" of the story, but there is still loads of shit out there in the world that will fuck up your shit.

• Options
    Speaking of Tactics, was wondering the best way to play that now. Looks like there's an iPhone version, is that OK?

Steam profile
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    My problem with Tactics is that it had the problem a lot of "permadeath" games had back then, that being as soon a unit's specific story arc was done they were pretty much a non-factor to the rest of the plot.

More recent sRPGs have fixed that somewhat by marking some of the characters as essential(even if they can no longer fight if they "die") but always hated that.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    the only thing I hate about FFT on the phone is that... touch controls just don't feel right with that game. But it ran well in my IPhone 6 back in the day. You should be fine with a current gen phone.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    the only thing I hate about FFT on the phone is that... touch controls just don't feel right with that game. But it ran well in my IPhone 6 back in the day. You should be fine with a current gen phone.

I've played it with touch controls before on an iPad way back when. Sucks to have to buy it again because Square doesn't do cross buy, but I've resigned myself to that.

Thanks!

Steam profile
  • Options
    Speaking of Tactics, was wondering the best way to play that now. Looks like there's an iPhone version, is that OK?

Do you have a vita?

• Options

Do you have a vita?

Yes, I don't have it on me as much as my phone of course. Is that version better?

Steam profile
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I’ve had an unused PSP copy for some years now. How bad is the slowdown, truly?

• Options
    IMHO real bad if you're used to how snappy FFT felt on PS1

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I think you could always play the PS1 version of the game on the vita. I think it has better sound too (but it misses the new translation, animated cinematics, and the new class). I would personally prefer to play on my Vita rather than on my phone, but that's a matter of taste and my general unwillingness to put up with touchscreen controls.

• Options
    Then again the new class reqs will undoubtedly lead you to overlevel a LOT if you want to unlock it asap.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Slowdown on the iOS version has been cleaned up if I remember right. I had no problems with it, at least. The only real annoyance is handling rotation, which works but is mildly clumsy.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The only lame thing about mobile FFT is the touch controls; which is mitigated if you have a large enough screen. On a phone it's probably still not great, but on a tablet it's fine.

• Options
    Went back to a save just after the Sweegy Woods, spent some time running around and grinding, then was able to get through Dorter and the Rat's Nest with minimal trouble (and just a couple of casualties). Then got wrecked by a random encounter on the way back to Igros.

This game REALLY doesn't believe in hand-holding -- all of the stuff about jobs, learning & setting abilities, etc., is listed as part of the tutorial, but as far as I've seen, never once does the game actually mention that you can do these things. I did start having a much easier time with it when I started, y'know, actually learning new abilities and setting them as active so that I could use them in combat.

• Options
    Went back to a save just after the Sweegy Woods, spent some time running around and grinding, then was able to get through Dorter and the Rat's Nest with minimal trouble (and just a couple of casualties). Then got wrecked by a random encounter on the way back to Igros.

This game REALLY doesn't believe in hand-holding -- all of the stuff about jobs, learning & setting abilities, etc., is listed as part of the tutorial, but as far as I've seen, never once does the game actually mention that you can do these things. I did start having a much easier time with it when I started, y'know, actually learning new abilities and setting them as active so that I could use them in combat.

Yes, I lost a few games before learning about that when I first played way back when :(

Steam profile
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The key thing to remember is to not over extend characters. Don't let a character get isolated and surrounded. You want to do the opposite to enemy npcs. The AI will generally go for the closest target.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    An interesting thing about FFT is that random encounters scale to your party's level, but story encounters generally don't. This means that you can grind efficiently on random encounters, and it'll make story encounters easier. BUT it can make certain random encounters be a total mess. Lots of folks have stories of getting wrecked by superpowered chocobos in that one battle in chapter 4.

• Options
    I dug out my original disc copy and I'm also wondering if the reason there weren't a lot of in-game tutorials is that it was expected that you'd have read the manual in the jewel case cover-to-cover while sitting in the back seat of the station wagon as your mom drove you home from the mall?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there was also the in-game encyclopedia of all the game systems you could access from the main menu IIRC

BahamutZERO.gif