As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changing a showerhead [SOLVED]

NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
edited August 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
So I want to change a showerhead in our new apartment. I've done this before, but this one is giving me trouble. It feels way to goddamn tight. Usually I can get them off with just my hands, but this one ain't budging. I tried using a plier type tool with flat ends (I dunno the technical term) and that ain't cutting it. I don't want to go full strength on it for fear of damaging the pipes. Any ideas? At what point should I call the landlord?

Nobeard on

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Get some WD-40 and spray the connection, let it sit for a bit, and you should be able to pull it off easier.

Rust buildup can built up and fuse that stuff.

You also want a wrench or vise grip.

Enc on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Locking pliers can also do the trick and are a good item to have in a basic toolkit.

Said your did this before, but be sure to use plumbers tape on the new one. Don't need much.

• Options
    Oh yea, good old WD-40! Definitely need to try that as the next step. I do have plumbers tape, but thanks anyway for mentioning it. Never hurts to mention the basics.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    also you probably want two wrenches if its really stuck, one for the pipe the other for the head. if you torque it too hard you can crack the feed pipe

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Windex also works as a convenient lubricant if you don't have WD-40 on hand.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Not every shower head wants tape, fyi. It should say on the packaging if it's not necessary.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Pipe wrench, liquid graphite works pretty good channel locks, hopefully the maintenance people didn't use locktite cause that would suck.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Pipe wrench, liquid graphite works pretty good channel locks, hopefully the maintenance people didn't use locktite cause that would suck.

that'd be dumb as far as maintenance is concerned

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »

that'd be dumb as far as maintenance is concerned
    It happens more than you'd want.

• Options
    The WD-40 worked! Turns out the last guy to replace the showerhead did not remove any of the old tape and just added more. Lazy bum!

Thanks for the advice folks!

This discussion has been closed.