As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm 2.0] Sign-ups open for PAC Nexus Throwdown VI! Hit me up!

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    never stop nerfing d.va in every game

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

More important than anything is we need to define team names

Tournament is cancelled if there are no team names

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Ok, so can we talk about NEU Tyrande for a second?

Man she feels good. Late-game GODLY power spikes. I've been averaging 30-40k heals per game, and usually topping Hero Damage with a ton of kills and takedowns. Cannot waveclear at all, but hey, nobody perfect. If you need to, best thing to do is to drop the stun on the wizard and archers then shoot them dead while your wave cleans up the three tank minions.

First, the talents:

1: Lunar Blaze
    4: Moonlit Arrows (Kaldorei Resistance if they have lots of ability damage)
    7: Darnassian Archery
    10: Shadowstalk
    13: Harsh Moonlight
    16: Mark of Mending
    20: Iceblade Arrows

Lunar Blaze is like, the entire full talent tree of Lunar Flare talents in one package. Once you land your tenth stun and the mana cost goes away, you go from always being out of mana to never having to back. Lategame it hits for 1k+ damage. Once you get the range increase, it gets really dumb. Moonlit Arrows puts your heal on a 3s CD, use it all the time to top ppl off. Darnassian Archery is just stupid. Hit heroes, watch your damage climb climb climb. Does not have to be on the same Hero either. Just keep hitting the enemy team.

Shadowstalk is incredible. Use all the time. Mount speed, the ATK speed buff is just nuts. I've used it in the middle of dueling someone and just been like... yup, I'll take the extra heals and damage, and if you try to run "I will catch you!"

Hash Moonlight is a slow and 30% damage reduction on an already great talent. Huge, just huge.

Mark of Mending. This is where things get crazy crazy. You know how TwinBlades Varian is strong because he heals for 1%+ of his health every AA and attacks really fast? Tyrande attacks almost as fast, but she heals for TWO PERCENT of her health every second. And if you Mark your opponent, that's FOUR PERCENT. Pretty much nobody can burn through you gaining 10%+ of max health per second.

Finally, we've got Iceblade Arrows. These really kick up your heals with the attack speed boost, and the damage reduction on them really adds up fast. Plus with Harsh Moonlight you can stick someone with 70% damage reduction!

Basically, Tyrande wins every 1v1, counters the EFFF out of dive heroes, (seriously, Butcher and Varian will get obliterated by a solid Tyrande) and lategame is an unkillable goddess of death and damage reduction.

Her weaknesses are early game, before you start getting your stacks of Stunshots and Owlhits. Once you do though, your mana problems go away, because your two high mana abilities are either free or very, very cheap. The Owl gets a lot more effective, as do debuffs like Harsh Moonlight once you've got the stacks up so it costs little and pierces lots.

If you can't hit your skillshots with Tyrande, she feels terrible, and doesn't do much. But if you can, and you can keep your AA's on heroes, you do a TON of damage, get a TON of kills, and just roll people.

Feelsogoodman.

Tonight I want to go into try mode and see if she can solo a boss. I learned today that she can easily solo Garden Terrors, whether Human or AI controlled.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    as i was playing etc last night he felt fine. the problem is that his damage is virtually non-existent and he is a "bad dehaka". that whole split push and stage dive in plan is kinda dead. all-in-all though you still get a great stun, a displacement and comps willing you can end games with mosh pit.

edit: i guess what i'm saying is he definitely is the weaker option compared to other warriors. however he doesn't feel worthless

It's strange to me that they're still keeping ETC in the gutter.

Remember when they removed Dehaka's waveclear talent at 1, and then equalized (nerfed) his W damage? He SHOT DOWN in winrate super hard.

And then there was a relatively quick turnaround on that and they added an extra 0.5 secs to W duration, AND even buffed Brushstalker! Then he was TOO good for a bit, received a few nerfs a month later, but he's still rocking it.

ETC was first nerfed on 4/4. He received trivial, insignificant buffs ~2 weeks later on 4/20 that didn't address any of his actual problems (instead buffing his crap underpicked talents; they were still crap after). On 5/31 he received his attack speed buff.

Nothing since.

He's still gutter.

I don't know why they insist on keeping him down there for this long. DO something.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Crossposted from the Hearthstone thread (whoops!):

I like Twin Blade Varian way more than Taunt Varian. The damage and healing can output is insane. Soloing merc camps/boss is a nice bonus.

Too bad Taunt is so busted that it overshadows the other two options. :(
    Is the build for Taunt and TB pretty much similar except for the heroic? I usually do TB, because it's just so much fun to become a battlefield blender that can almost never die. But i also almost only have been doing QM, and occasionally unranked.

Speaking of hero league stuff. Is it like overwatch, where you can only group with similar ranked players, or does it allow anyone to group up? I feel like i should start some of that, and more so start grouping up with more people in the wang channel. I've just been a bit burned out lately, especially after not having a stem pack.

With taunt you want to take all the w talents from 1-7, with the post 10 talents depending on team comps.

As for ranked, hero league is solo queue and team league allows for groups of 2, 3 or 5 people. Iirc there are no restrictions to grouping up in TL.

Also you should definitely group up with PAers. Being in a group gives an increasingly big xp bonus

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Muradin and ETC being sent to the garbage forever means that the tank pool is boring as all fuck right now.

There's slam stitches, diablo, anub'arak, and that's kinda it for impactful tanks. johanna is fine but she's very team reliant and can't carry or initiate at all, and arthas is fine if you're facing melee dive.

it's soooo boring as someone who likes to tank.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Muradin and ETC being sent to the garbage forever means that the tank pool is boring as all fuck right now.

There's slam stitches, diablo, anub'arak, and that's kinda it for impactful tanks. johanna is fine but she's very team reliant and can't carry or initiate at all, and arthas is fine if you're facing melee dive.

Have we had a main tank released since Taunt-spec Varian got buffed into useabilty?

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    dav3yb wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Crossposted from the Hearthstone thread (whoops!):

I like Twin Blade Varian way more than Taunt Varian. The damage and healing can output is insane. Soloing merc camps/boss is a nice bonus.

Too bad Taunt is so busted that it overshadows the other two options. :(
    Is the build for Taunt and TB pretty much similar except for the heroic? I usually do TB, because it's just so much fun to become a battlefield blender that can almost never die. But i also almost only have been doing QM, and occasionally unranked.

Speaking of hero league stuff. Is it like overwatch, where you can only group with similar ranked players, or does it allow anyone to group up? I feel like i should start some of that, and more so start grouping up with more people in the wang channel. I've just been a bit burned out lately, especially after not having a stem pack.

With taunt you want to take all the w talents from 1-7, with the post 10 talents depending on team comps.

As for ranked, hero league is solo queue and team league allows for groups of 2, 3 or 5 people. Iirc there are no restrictions to grouping up in TL.

Also you should definitely group up with PAers. Being in a group gives an increasingly big xp bonus

I usually take most of his parry talents, and sometimes instead of his god shield at 4, ill take the charge cooldown reduction, mostly depending on how much burst damage they have.

And yeah, I think once i pick up stukov I'll have a bit more reason to play a bit more. I just want to grind him up pretty quick so i can get more summer boxes.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Have we had a main tank released since Taunt-spec Varian got buffed into useabilty?

No

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    shryke wrote: »

No

Right? In fact we've mostly had mobility-creep heroes who desperately make you wish there were more tank options. :/

Completely unrelated, am I the only one who is beyond tired of lurking arm? An AOE silence with zero actual commitment on your part and a paltry .5 second startup is so phenomenally frustrating if you try and play melee characters. It has to be the only AOE ability in the game that isn't on a pulse of some sort (literally THE MOMENT you touch it you are silenced, rather than any moment when damage ticks), and it's an incredible utility ability on a hero who also has ridiculous healing numbers. Like, fuck right off.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    And Taunt varian isn't a solo tank anymore that his only real CC is taunt. He's a high burst dps unkillable bruiser when he takes the w talents. Can help lock someone down, similar to Dehaka in fights.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular

I'd say MAYBE Genji? Lot of survivability, mobility, and in most games I've been in, he seems to have a passive taunt that causes my team to try and focus him but never get a kill, causing people to run out of position all the time to chase and die ...

Does that count?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Sounds like now is the perfect time for a WoW Warrior to be released.

• Options
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm hoping that Firebat is a tank.

Who knows what Blizzard's Firebat kit looks like.

A while ago I made a kit proposal for a firebat that I was really happy with. I forget all the specifics of it, but in a nutshell, my idea was that the Firebat would be an area denial tank. I wanted him to have a "siege mode" kind of like Hammer, where the Firebat Bunkers Down (since in SC Firebats go great with bunkers). And while the Firebat is Bunkered down, he loses mobility and/or just becomes incredibly slow, like Hammer. But while in Bunkered Down mode, he gains an incredible amount of armor and spell armor, and has the ability to cast sustained flame bursts in a directional cone.

They could also give him some sort of riot shield ability, like some sort of "Tactical Advance" where he holds a bigass riot shield up and marches slowly forward or something.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I really hate the mass CC chains that the meta has shifted to recently. Had me thinking about a new Tank character who'd focus on anti-CC stuff. Using the Firebat as an example:

Corporal Montag
    Melee Warrior Tank
    Trait (D): Chosen at Level 1

Level 1 Talent:
    • H67 "Marsh Stompers" Servos - Prevents all Roots. Activate: All nearby allies are unaffected by Root effects for 3 seconds. (30 CD)
    • G11C "Fleet Feet" Thrusters - Prevents all Slows. Activate: All nearby allies are unaffected by Slow effects for 3 seconds. (30 CD)
    • Mark-2a7 "Chrome Dome" Dampeners - Prevents all Stuns. Activate: All nearby allies are unaffected by Stun effects for 3 seconds. (30 CD)

You'd go into a match and choose which CC you'd like to ignore all game. Activating your Trait helps the team out, but makes you lose your Trait's effect until the cooldown refreshes. I feel like it's a strong and flexible ability without being OP.

Further talent choices could include reducing the cooldown on his trait and increasing the duration. He could have a level 20 that combines all 3 together (stops all Stuns/Roots/Slows + activates protect all allies from them as well).

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I can sign up for a reserve in that saturday hots tourney thing, if you need a 15th. I haven't played in a month and had a hilariously low hero pool when i did, but i can practice up on a few heroes if needed. I might be on tonight to shake off some rust.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The third trait is the only one that matters and is also busted as hell. Unless it's only preventative and doesn't actually cleanse on cast?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    There's no fixing the stun chain meta, the quantity of high mobility heroes that require stuns to punish demands it and we're in too deep. The amount of hero reworks they'd have to do to bring us back to base line mobility is never going to happen and any anti-cc just enables those heroes.

Stukov is effectively anti cc, in that you can designate an area and only ranged cc can be cast into it, and I'd argue that ability is currently broken in how strong it is

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Stun trains have been dealt with in other games by giving 'stun armor' to recently stunned targets, so if you get stunned for 1 second and then within a half-second or so that of that wearing off get hit by a 2-second stun, the second stun will be reduced to only 1 second. And so on and so forth, so each stun gets less absolute value and they can't keep you stuck forever.

But, as has been said, HOLY MOBILITY CREEP BATMAN kinda ruins that.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm hoping that Firebat is a tank.

Who knows what Blizzard's Firebat kit looks like.

A while ago I made a kit proposal for a firebat that I was really happy with. I forget all the specifics of it, but in a nutshell, my idea was that the Firebat would be an area denial tank. I wanted him to have a "siege mode" kind of like Hammer, where the Firebat Bunkers Down (since in SC Firebats go great with bunkers). And while the Firebat is Bunkered down, he loses mobility and/or just becomes incredibly slow, like Hammer. But while in Bunkered Down mode, he gains an incredible amount of armor and spell armor, and has the ability to cast sustained flame bursts in a directional cone.

They could also give him some sort of riot shield ability, like some sort of "Tactical Advance" where he holds a bigass riot shield up and marches slowly forward or something.

Reinhardt would like a word with you.

• Options
    *sigh*
    Just too many hard counters in every QM game I try to play. It's not fun. :/
    rvua38dnqgk2.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2017
    The game has kinda never not been built around stun chains. It's just been stronger or weaker on occasions. Most notably it was strongest after the scaling changes because the large reduction in TTK makes CC chains more powerful.

They've helped this along though now by adding even more CC to the game (see - Taunt Varian) and adding even more heroes who's only weakness is CC chain (see - mobility creep). This just encourages the trend to go even harder.

Probably the simplest way to fight back against the trend from a balance perspective is lowering TTK I think. You can hit a few CCs again like they did like a year back and reduce their lengths all around but that only does so much. Or you can start nerfhammering high mobility heroes but that becomes a big balance issue (although some probably think it wouldn't be the end of the world if every OW hero became dumpster tier).

shryke on
  • Options
    genji, tank genji, healer genji, british genji, and russian genji are all plagues on this game

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Not sure I agree that stun chains are that critical. They're not a bad idea if you have the coordination to pull it off but it is totally possible to the tankier warriors to just live through it or the other team to just turn and murder you in kind. Stun chains are more about securing kills when people get out of position than it is about winning protracted team fights. Plenty of pro teams drafts are completely stunless as they know their opponents wont just randomly get out position and let themselves get stunned to death and instead they focus their draft on sustain or global pressure.

Stuns are definitely a counter against the recent high mobility/low health heroes they've been releasing recently through, and it's probably correct to grab them if your opponent drafts a Genji/Tracer/Illidan.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The stunless draft meta is more about playing around Uther and Guardian of the Ancient Kings than it is about tanks being able to survive stun chains. There have been a bevy of clips this season of HGC highlighting how easy it is to delete heroes like Muradin and Stitches within a team's burst/stun rotation.

And the way this game works, getting a single kill pretty much guarantees that you win the fight. Sustained fights have become more and more rare, especially at the pro level.

• Options
    so grubby's stream was ruined for like six straight games in a row because of tracer + tass

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    so grubby's stream was ruined for like six straight games in a row because of tracer + tass

This has been happening for weeks. Grubby was frustrated with Tass+Tracer a long time ago

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Master skins were just to drain gold from the economy. That's it.

I like their concept, but more than that, I like consistency.

Tim is on the Internet on
    Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    genji, tank genji, healer genji, british genji, and russian genji are all plagues on this game

Zarya is totally fine imo.

I think of all the stupid mobility-creep OW heroes, Lucio is the least objectionable by far. Honestly, the major issue with him is not his mobility but the combination of Rejuvenescência and Sound Barrier making his team suddenly stupidly hard to kill. I have no idea why they've never done anything about Rejuv. Wouldn't have a real issue with him.

Dva is really on the edge but is in a bad place now. Genji and Tracer are complete bullshit though.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I've seen a lot of pubbies still complain about Dva and it's arguably why she will never be good. In uncoordinated games she can be super frustrating to players who never actually get a kill on her and she is always up. So any improvement they make to her can't make her any more oppressive feeling than it at least seems so far on teams playing against her.

Still waiting to see what they try and do with Genji, taking away dodge is a start but the whole kit is just going to continue to be frustrating - really just see them slowly nerfing dmg until he becomes unplayable.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    D.Va is especially annoying in QM Blackheart's. She has 30 coins all game and you can never get them.

Zarya is mostly annoying because a huge pet peeve of mine in this game are those who basically just right click. Zaryas and Tassadars who sit still and autoattack you and win that trade a lot of the time, Lucios and D.Vas and Tracers that just walk at you and keep autoing, it's really annoying. Like, at least try to stutterstep. And don't have characters that, you know, physically can't stutterstep. It totally breaks the flow of the game.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I look like my avatar obviously

Is lie. Sorry not-Furiosa you're cute as a button in RL *^-^*

• Options
    D.Va is especially annoying in QM Blackheart's. She has 30 coins all game and you can never get them.

Zarya is mostly annoying because a huge pet peeve of mine in this game are those who basically just right click. Zaryas and Tassadars who sit still and autoattack you and win that trade a lot of the time, Lucios and D.Vas and Tracers that just walk at you and keep autoing, it's really annoying. Like, at least try to stutterstep. And don't have characters that, you know, physically can't stutterstep. It totally breaks the flow of the game.

For Zarya it's a liability. Her fast autoattack speed means she can't stutterstep. Which on a character with zero mobility tools means she's even more immobile and vulnerable. It's a part of how she's balanced and you can play around it in a way you can't around a stupid mobility-creep hero like Tracer.

• Options

For Zarya it's a liability. Her fast autoattack speed means she can't stutterstep. Which on a character with zero mobility tools means she's even more immobile and vulnerable. It's a part of how she's balanced and you can play around it in a way you can't around a stupid mobility-creep hero like Tracer.

Yeah, I get that, but it's still really annoying when she's already at like 50% charge so you can't do anything but run because she can just bubble and stand there and kill you faster. But yeah, the immobility aspect is a big part of the reason I hated playing her (and why I don't enjoy Tychus anymore since he's less focused on Overkill and 'nade nowadays).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Yeah, I get that, but it's still really annoying when she's already at like 50% charge so you can't do anything but run because she can just bubble and stand there and kill you faster. But yeah, the immobility aspect is a big part of the reason I hated playing her (and why I don't enjoy Tychus anymore since he's less focused on Overkill and 'nade nowadays).

Eh, just tease out the bubble and then she's a sitting duck most of the time. You do gotta run sometimes but not for long.

shryke on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The thing with Zarya is that she is very all-or-nothing when you get to a certain level of play. There are games where you will have absolutely no charge because the other team will just never attack your shields. This puts your team at a continual 4v5 disadvantage, because a charge-less Zarya is like 20% of a hero.

Games that I win with Zarya are super easy, because I'm always at full charge and I'm just a walking deathball. But games where I have no charge are absolutely miserable, and my team just loses the game slowly but surely, and there's literally nothing I can do because the other team just straight up ignores me.

• Options
    PSA: If you want something from the "Sun's Out, Gun's Out" event, then you have until the patch hits tomorrow morning to buy it.

If you were holding out for speedo Tychus or a surfboard and haven't gotten one, then you have ~8 hours from the time of this post to buy it via shards/gems. Otherwise you are stuck waiting until next year.

• Options
    Yea, went ahead and bought a Tracer skin since I never got one and I got a tychus and stitches skin over the event. I would have liked a surfboard but i don't 2400 shard like a surfboard.

Ended up with all the good sprays in boxes too, so aside from missing the surfboard I did alright.

Good thing you posted that since I thought the event ended friday, but I just checked and yea it actually ends today, it's just the brawl will drop an event chest until friday.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PSA: If you want something from the "Sun's Out, Gun's Out" event, then you have until the patch hits tomorrow morning to buy it.

If you were holding out for speedo Tychus or a surfboard and haven't gotten one, then you have ~8 hours from the time of this post to buy it via shards/gems. Otherwise you are stuck waiting until next year.

Yeah, I got my last chest for the even via leveling, got jack shit nothing from it as usual. Ate the 2400 shards to get the surfboard I really wanted.

This event tastes like a freshly-shit ass on the tongue. So crappy.