As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Our Batman's a Plonker

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    It's a bit late, though.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Theresa May on Trump comments: Far-right should always be condemned
    Theresa May has said it is important to condemn far-right views "wherever we hear them" as she was asked about Donald Trump's response to clashes in the United States.
    The PM said: "I see no equivalence between those who propound fascist views and those who oppose them."
    They're still not rescinding the invitation for him to come here and get protested at an awful lot, but it's something, I guess.

At least she's not both-sides-the-sameing there. I honestly can't fault her for that sentence.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It's a bit late, though.

Lag

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    It's a bit late, though.

Lag

What do you expect? It takes time to reprogram Maybot to say anything other then "Brexit means Brexit" in respons to new stimuli.

They will probably revert to the original code afterwards tho.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Someone should have asked her about the DUP right after that.

• Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    It's a bit late, though.

Lag

What do you expect? It takes time to reprogram Maybot to say anything other then "Brexit means Brexit" in respons to new stimuli.

They will probably revert to the original code afterwards tho.

Maybot is notoriously difficult to reprogram. It has a tendency to reboot by itself and wipe all your work, which is when it reverts to its original code running Tautology 1.0.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    The Brexitbots seem more and more like the Cylons. "And they have a plan" indeed...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The latest part of The Plan:
    UK looks to keep visa-free travel from EU
    The government plans to keep visa-free travel to the UK for EU visitors after Brexit, the BBC understands.
    But if visitors from EU countries wanted to work, study or settle in the UK they would have to apply for permission, under the proposals.
    EU citizens are currently free to live and work in the UK without a permit.
    The Home Office says managing migration is about access to work and benefits as much as the ability to control entry at a physical border.
    How will this be achieved? Magic Money/Trade/Border/Visa Tree!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The government plans to keep visa-free travel to the UK for EU visitors after Brexit, the BBC understands.
    But if visitors from EU countries wanted to work, study or settle in the UK they would have to apply for permission, under the proposals.
    The Home Office says managing migration is about access to work and benefits as much as the ability to control entry at a physical border.

How? Same way it works in the USA, poorly. The UK must have some system in place that attempts to keep non-EU citizens from rolling up and getting jobs without the proper visas, this would just expand it to include more people. Is this the first time that there's an official proposal (as opposed to just talk) to nix freedom of movement?

At least they're aiming for no visas for tourists, which should be something everyone is on board with.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I thought this was one of the things Brexit people were really into shutting down entirely.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Nah see, British people shouldn't need visa's to travel to europe.

But those dirty foreigners need visas to come here obvs

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    So people will travel here freely, then get a shady cash-only job and stick around with no way of the government knowing because there isn't a visa with a record of when they should leave?

I guess our harvest has to be gathered somehow

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    So they kinda-sorta want to use the existing immigration controls the EU already had available but that they didn't implement before because arglbargl. Got it.

*headdesk*

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Leo Varadkar has expressed his condolences to the people of Spain over the attack in Barcelona this afternoon.

Donald Tusk, Theresa May and other European leaders have also responded offering support.

• Options
    I'm getting far, far too used to this. Another week, another terrorist atrocity.

They never stop being horrifying. But, and I hate myself a little bit for typing this, they are becoming less and less surprising.

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
  • Options

The Miliverse is the official account of the alternate reality we all deserved

• Options
    He'll set up a system that doesn't need a physical fence, where no-one crosses the pseudo-fence except the people who are supposed to.

• Options
    This is a horrible situation and I hope this child is found safe, but honestly I can't help but find a grim irony in all the oh so sincere pledges of support when the legal status of this boy's parent has been used as a bargaining chip by this same Prime Minister, whose Ministers threatened war with Spain days after invoking Article 50 because they dared to mention that sorting a solution for Gibraltar is going to be awkward.

• Options
    Do you think they deliberately chose that frame for the video preview?

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

Ah, remember how furious the sort of lefties now endorsing Jeremy "wholesale importation of underpaid workers" Corbyn were about the "controls on immigration" bit?

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

Ah, remember how furious the sort of lefties now endorsing Jeremy "wholesale importation of underpaid workers" Corbyn were about the "controls on immigration" bit?

I'm maybe missing something? (Out of the country so not getting my usual news). What's this now?

Full disclosure: I thought the "Controls on immigration" pledge was, at best, an economically illiterate shibboleth.

Do I need to endorse Corbyn now?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Not political, but... Sir Bruce Forsyth has died at the age of 89.

Between him and Terry Wogan last year, that's like an entire era of entertainment slipping into history.

RIP, sir.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I thought this was one of the things Brexit people were really into shutting down entirely.

It was. The swivel-eyed brigade are pretty upset about this.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

It's also one of those things that the likes of us can look at and go, "if that's the case, why the hell are we doing this again?"

• Options

It's also one of those things that the likes of us can look at and go, "if that's the case, why the hell are we doing this again?"

Well, it stops themmuns from working/studying in the U.K., which is...politically sound for the right, if a massive economic own goal.

Of course it does stop us doing the same.

• Options

One of the quite a lot of those things, even.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »

Well, it stops themmuns from working/studying in the U.K., which is...politically sound for the right, if a massive economic own goal.

Of course it does stop us doing the same.

I mean

We could have been doing that the whole time, to a certain extent. But hey, it's probably a bit late for facts now.

• Options
    How are the Brexit talks going? Well, months after he capitulated on the schedule, RTÉ News (Irish public broadcaster) is reporting David Davis' explanations on how he's not more worried about getting a trade agreement sorted than with sorting the NI border out - far from it! - it's just that sorting a trade agreement now would help sort the NI border out - really! - so we're only hurting ourselves by being so fussy and insisting he figure out a way to not tear up the Good Friday Agreement before we talk about buying stuff.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    How about you just trade Northern Ireland away for something if you care that little about it.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    In the meantime, we have the brexit propagandists out in force cherry picking data and wrapping it in a "report" to suggest brexit is anything other than economic suicide. Their grand idea? Scrap all standards and tariffs. I don't think I need to say how stupid this is.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40972776

• Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    While all this horrible shit is happening in the world, it's heartening to see UKIP is still continuing its slide into irrelevancy:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/18/ukip-peter-whittle-john-rees-evans-9000-to-leave-uk

Although to be honest; if someone offered me £9000 pounds to leave, I'd probably take it come March 2019. That's an entire mortgage deposit right there! (In any place but the south of England :( )

Taerak on
  • Options
    £9,000 to all British citizens of Indian / Pakistani origin to just to go home? They must be thrilled! I mean, what's the bus fair usually? £1.50?

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    How about you just trade Northern Ireland away for something if you care that little about it.

I will start the bidding at 1 Euro.

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »

I will start the bidding at 1 Euro.

Guarantee me a pension of €40,000 and sold.

• Options
    With apologies to altid and The Brayster. Gotta eat

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Taerak wrote: »
    While all this horrible shit is happening in the world, it's heartening to see UKIP is still continuing its slide into irrelevancy:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/18/ukip-peter-whittle-john-rees-evans-9000-to-leave-uk

Although to be honest; if someone offered me £9000 pounds to leave, I'd probably take it come March 2019. That's an entire mortgage deposit right there! (In any place but the south of England :( )

can we instead pay the members or UKIP £9000 to fuck off somewhere else? will be cheaper and a lot more beneficial i imagine.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular

Get rid of the DUP and co and I'm on board.

• Options
    altid wrote: »

Get rid of the DUP and co and I'm on board.

I'd happily pension them off if they signed a contract to stay out of politics

Sometimes buying people off is the best solution

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Taerak wrote: »

can we instead pay the members or UKIP £9000 to fuck off somewhere else? will be cheaper and a lot more beneficial i imagine.

Mate, pay me nine grand to move into the EU and you won't even have time to watch the dust settle... why would we help UKIP escape?

This discussion has been closed.