As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost more than you expect

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Also also also

Taking suggestions on good beginner plants. I'll have rosemary and basil for sure. Probably tomatoes since it's the one other plant I've grown.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Cucurbits grow like crazy with little intervention. So cucumbers, zucchinis, pumpkins, various squashes and gourds are all good plants for beginners. Melons are the exception though, I wouldn't recommend those for a beginner unless you live in zone 5 or 6, with 6 being preferable.

You can find resources on the internet for what varieties work best in your zone. For instance the University of Minnesota has a website that's great for zones 3 and 4, but anything that works in those zones will probably work out for higher numbered zones as well. Also they have good info on pest management and other general topics.

https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Wouldn't be interested in melons anyway. However the wife does love her some zucchinis.

I *believe* we're in zone six. I looked it up when trying to figure out if our rosemary would survive the winter which so far is... iffy.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, peppers, sage, and greens are all super easy to grow from planter beds. In your beds you can do a tarp, a layer of sand, a layer of gravel, a layer of potting mix and fertilizer and finally a layer of soil. If you're a real big dick baller you can get some landscaping fabric to cover everything and keep it safe from weeds. Just cut little holes in it for your seedlings.

Edit: Bonus points if you stick a length of PVC down into the gravel layer, extending out the top of each bed. You drill a hole in your planet bed at the top of the gravel line for drainage, Bingo bango you have a self watering planter that you can't overfill. You want to dig a small circle in the middle of the gravel, down to the sand so a bit of the potting mix is below the water line to get the wicking action going.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    For folks starting gardens I can't recommend enough the Square Foot gardening method! My wife and I bought this book and it has made gardening super easy. It's so incredibly easy to get going and sustain a garden.

pze7lpt35emr.jpg

Edit: for Clarity.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I sowed a bunch of dutch white clover in the back yard today. I'd like to thank whoever was preaching its advantages (though I think in this thread it was specifically micro clover) in this thread for hipping me on to it. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to landscape back there and clover should be a decent ground cover option, vs. seeding and watering a full lawn, or covering the entire thing in mulch.

I'm gonna plant all my seeds for the garden tomorrow. At some point I need to order some straw bales and get them delivered, as I'm going to try doing a bunch of straw bale gardening this year.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if white clover will choke out dollar weed?The dollar weed is just so invasive and the only weed I actively would not take over my yard which it has been doing since the flood.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't think it'll out compete the dollar weed without already being established, you'll probably have to kill it off first.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Boiling water kills dollar weed - put your gumboots on and a few saucepans of water on the stovetop, and get to burning that crap away.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Thanks! I was suspecting I'd have to mitigate the dollar weed. I'll definitely try the boiling water. I'm trying to avoid herbicides in general since that's the only weed I'm interested in getting rid of.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Boiling water will pretty much kill everything, but just reseed your lawn with some clover and a tiny bit of grass where it was

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Did our first serious look at houses with a realtor. Fiance found one she is in love with, and we got a recent inspection report from a previous offer that fell through. Everything seems to be going too smoothly, so now I'm nervous...

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I should try the boiling water thing on my back yard weeds

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Did our first serious look at houses with a realtor. Fiance found one she is in love with, and we got a recent inspection report from a previous offer that fell through. Everything seems to be going too smoothly, so now I'm nervous...

So, with the inspection -

* Was it done by an ACHI certified home inspector?
    * How long ago was it done?
    * How long did it take (for the average home, a home inspection should take 3-4 hours.)
    * What issues came up?
    * Did they have the radon levels (if you live somewhere where this is a problem) and water (if the house has a private well) tested? (If not, you're going to want these checked.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

So, with the inspection -

* Was it done by an ACHI certified home inspector?
    * How long ago was it done?
    * How long did it take (for the average home, a home inspection should take 3-4 hours.)
    * What issues came up?
    * Did they have the radon levels (if you live somewhere where this is a problem) and water (if the house has a private well) tested? (If not, you're going to want these checked.)

Looks like just state certified, it was done a couple of weeks ago (not sure how long it took). I'm having my dad look over the report for a second opinion but we don't see any major problems, most seem to be minor code violations due to age or easy to repair. Signs of foundation repair that the inspector recommended getting more info on. The house is 40 years old but had a lot of updates and repairs over the last few years, including new roof and HVAC.

If we put in an offer we will certainly get our own inspection.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Did they include pictures?

• Options
    Yes, plenty of pictures on the inspection report and a lot of notes. It seems to be a good inspection. My dad thinks we should just use that report and get a couple more focused inspections (such as the foundation) instead.

I'm unsure, even with an existing report I think walking around with an inspector would be useful even if they will mostly find the same things.

• Options
    Vinyl fencing company hired, gotta get a install date so I can do all the demo.

One step closer!

I like to ART
  • Options
    Yes, plenty of pictures on the inspection report and a lot of notes. It seems to be a good inspection. My dad thinks we should just use that report and get a couple more focused inspections (such as the foundation) instead.

I'm unsure, even with an existing report I think walking around with an inspector would be useful even if they will mostly find the same things.

Cost aside, do what makes you the most comfortable. Even if they find the same stuff, if you'll get useful knowledge about of accompanying an inspector, it's worth spending the money.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

One step closer!

What style & color did you go with?

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

One step closer!

White, 6' with short caps on the posts. Very simple. (I'm selling the house)

I like to ART
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

One step closer!

White, 6' with short caps on the posts. Very simple. (I'm selling the house)

Nice. Yeah that's smart. Paint the fence white after it's installed just to screw with them.

• Options
    We accepted the counter offer. Went over the inspection report with my dad, noted his concerns. It will need some expensive repairs (roof, bring breaker box up to code) but the house is just under our minimum search price so we will have lower monthly payments to help fund those.

Nervous because things are going to happen fast and I am going to have to talk to a bunch of people and my introverted self doesn't like it.

• Options
    Don't let anyone risk you into things you're not comfortable with - either payment or job wise.

Have a couple different people come out and find someone who will do a good job but also that you can work with. There's always going to be delays, but there's delays and then there's "delays".

You'll generally find a lot of contractors are not big people-persons either; they don't want to deal with office politics, etc.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Don't let anyone risk you into things you're not comfortable with - either payment or job wise.

Have a couple different people come out and find someone who will do a good job but also that you can work with. There's always going to be delays, but there's delays and then there's "delays".

You'll generally find a lot of contractors are not big people-persons either; they don't want to deal with office politics, etc.

As I said before, major work on a house should follow the rule of three - you get three quotes minimum for review. We're going through this process with getting the AC installed here, and it's slow going, but its best to cover all our bases.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
  • Options
    Standing planters arrived today and were pretty simple to put together.

rh8dvbbp70kf.png

I think I'm going to put Rose's big round planter in between the two.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Update:

Z5Vqu71l.jpg

lkxzi2Cl.jpg

I uh

I might have cleared out almost all of the Ace’s potting soil >>

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Well fuck. The exhaust fan in my master bathroom died. The light still comes on but nothing happens with the fan itself. I've been eyeing one of those fancy high air flow light/fan combos for a while now. I might have to make that my weekend project.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    I'm sure you got it, but some issues I encountered putting in mine recently:

- Check the dimensions between old and new: new was bigger, just cut the drywall.
    - Check where the electrical and exhaust connect vs old; I had to run conduit to get to the new electrical.
    - Determine where you will screw to beams before installing.

• Options
    10 yo daughter: "Daddy my dolls need a bench. Can you make a bench?"

Me: <thinking> well what the hell else is all that scrap wood for? And I get to teach her how to use power tools. Fuck it.

Two hours later:
    m9x70spwiz5k.jpg

Now she wants to paint it. And make a second one for the other half of the doll collection.

• Options
    I'm sure you got it, but some issues I encountered putting in mine recently:

- Check the dimensions between old and new: new was bigger, just cut the drywall.
    - Check where the electrical and exhaust connect vs old; I had to run conduit to get to the new electrical.
    - Determine where you will screw to beams before installing.

Oh my gawd I want to fucking die. That was so much harder than I thought it would be. My hands are cut to hell. Whoever installed the first fan stapled the fucker in place instead of using screws. It took me a good couple of hours to work them loose. This was made all the harder by the fact that they built the attic floor on top of where they installed the fan. I had to bend the old box up into order to get a screwdriver up in there to pry out the staples. I took a break than set about the task of installing the new one. I spent way WAY too much time trying to get screws lined up with the holes Once I was sure the screws lined up I wrestled the exhaust hose into the new one and got the wires matched up. I finally get everything locked down and connect up the new light.cover. Aaaaaand it is mounted too low and far back. And I don't even have enough room on the crossbeam to mount it any higher. It needs to be about a half inch further off the beam for the existing cutout to line up. I think I'll try solving both of these problems with about an 8 inch long, half inch thick block of wood to act as a shim. I screw it into the existing beam and screw and screw the fan into the new shim. I did, however try it out and it's a real nice one. I got one of the impeller/LED combo units. It's super quiet and the light is nice and bright. I took it for a spin with a shower and it's a MUCH better sucker than the old one.

• Options
    Ha, sorry man.

Don't you love those little projects that turn into tiny nightmares? Especially when it's caused by someone else's dumbassary.

• Options
    Our official inspection was today. No big surprises (except some outdoor plumbing repairs we were told about yesterday). We found it very helpful to walk through with the inspector and make our own notes, as well as get his actual opinion on things. It looks like our largest concern is the roof, which from what I can tell is at "replace asap" level. We suspected as much, though.

Didn't get my other task (insurance) finished today, unfortunately.

• Options
    Ha, sorry man.

Don't you love those little projects that turn into tiny nightmares? Especially when it's caused by someone else's dumbassary.

That seems to be the story with a bunch of stuff in this townhome. Nothing was installed WRONG per say. Everything is structurally sound but they made some really strange choices when putting things together. Another good example is a row of light switches. They had flipped 2 of them around so that the switch closer to the dining room was on the side of the panel closer to the entry hall and vice versa. Why did they do it? Well the ground cable was installed backwards and instead of flipping that around they just installed the switches flipped. It took me all of 5 minutes to fix when I was installing a dimmer.

• Options
    Sounds like our guys both went to the same school of home building.

Both our bathrooms have a stacked switch, so one rocker is the fan and the other is the light. Downstairs bathroom has the fan on the bottom rocker, the upstairs has it on top. WHY???

• Options
    This is a first. We had a light switch outlast a fluorescent light bulb. I replaced both shortly after moving in.

Nothing external proved the switch was bad except that the light didn't turn on. I had to do some sleuthing with a multimeter after changing the bulb didn't fix the problem.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    We had somebody once replace all our old "classic" light switches with more modern, larger ones (the giant button version instead of a lever). Except he put almost every single one upside down. It bothered me for a while, and it would have been a simple enough fix for myself to do. But after a while we just... got used to it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    We had somebody once replace all our old "classic" light switches with more modern, larger ones (the giant button version instead of a lever). Except he put almost every single one upside down. It bothered me for a while, and it would have been a simple enough fix for myself to do. But after a while we just... got used to it.

Flipping around light switches is one of the easiest electrical jobs you can do. It'll take you maybe 5 minutes per row.

• Options
    Our kids are old enough it doesn't matter, but I had my FIL help me one weekend and we converted 95% of the receptacles to tamper resistant versions. It was also a chance to get rid of that horrible biscuit color.

This discussion has been closed.