As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Out of the Cellar

TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree IntiateAt The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
edited July 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hail and Kill Heshers!! Please continue with your regularly scheduled sacrificing of goats and virgins you sick fucks, but this is the new altar we'll burn the offerings upon.

We've turned the tempo up from Funeral Doom but only to Doom because we keep it HEAVY.

Some basic guidelines for people just joining up with us:

-we know that dethklok are the brutalest
-we know that Dragonforce are the noodliest
-we know that Opeth is some craaaazy shit, dog
-we know Varg Vikernes is crazy as fuck and totally stabbed a dude
-we know Behemoth has way too much money to make music videos
-we do, in fact, look down harshly upon Killswitch Engage

PA.fm 2007 review thread
Our first community review blog
July 06 to April 07
June to December 08
January 09 to May 09
May 09 to December 09
December 09 to May 10
May 10 to September 10
September 10 to July 11
July 11 to June 13
June 13 to September 15
Spetember 15 to July 17

From the Dust Returned
A ridiculously prolific blog of Metal reviews principally written by our very own @autothrall

Autothrall's Lists
Looking for metal recommendations? You can find everything from Abigor to Znowhite in here. Thrash, death, black, NWOBHM, doom: pick your poison and Auto will provide the good shit.

Most of this post was directly ripped off from the last thread which I ripped off from @LoveIsUnity who ripped it off from @Morgenstern a couple years ago, but the thread title is straight from @Kakodaimonos.

Mostly Broken

try this
TerribleMisathrope on

• autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I shall Christen this new thread (or anti-Christen, as the case may be) with my July album picks, lest I forget in the personal chaos of the forthcoming week.

Cradle of Filth Cryptoriana (they've been on a tear for almost a decade now, getting back up to speed with their prime, and this is likely my favorite album they've put out since Midian in 2000.)

Droid Terrestrial Mutations (cool Canadian sci-fi thrash for fans of late 80s Voivod or DBC's Universe, but with a bit more street level crossover feel to the vocals.)

Fondlecorpse Dark Contagion (fun new record from this death/grind horror party metal band, a clear step up in songwriting from nearly anything they've put out prior...fans of Exhumed, Ghoul, Carcass, and Napalm Death should check it out.)

Obnoxious Youth Disturbing the Graves (great collaboration between some Finnish and Swedish musicians, total splatter speed/punk/thrash metal with a style akin to The Accused, only with more trad metal melodies coursing through it. Awesome record. Filthy!)

Once Human Evolution (normally not my style, but this band excels at death/thrash with proggy melodic elements and a bit of nu-groove metal bounce, like a hybrid of Fear Factory, Nevermore and Meshuggah, making me jumpdafucup, and this vocalist...she is pissed.)

Portrait Burn the World (tremendous new album from one of the Swedish bands who decided to evolve the Mercyful Fate style forward, and now they're really doing it since they no longer sound too much like a knock off. Amazing guitar work, just all around contender for AOTY here.)

Sinmara Within the Weaves of Infinity (very cool new EP from this great Icelandic act, masters of atmosphere and wrath.)

Tau Cross Pillar of Fire (more post-metallic rock from this great 'supergroup' with members of Voivod, Amebix and others. Just simple, straightforward hooks. Kills.)

Temple of Void Lords of Death (killer, wretched and ancient death metal which doesn't just bite off the cavern-core or Swedeath styles directly, and feels pretty evil, almost like a US answer to Hooded Menace with less tongue-in-cheek.)

The Wizards Full Moon in Scorpio (great, hazy, classic heavy metal, with sincere, distinct vocals, riding a current crop of Spanish bands that deserve some attention.)

autothrall on
  • McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Woohoo new thread. Some albums I've listened recently:

Tchornobog plays a raw chaotic weird BM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GLvp2FcwWQ

Extremity has big riffs and a killer album name
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkI3GNLdv1I

....and I'm pretty stoked about the upcoming Pagan Altar album !

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    🤘 INFERNAL 🤘

🤘 HAILZ 🤘

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Huh, so I should check out the new CoF. I haven't been interested in them since like Midian. Damn that was a long time ago.

After the bit in the last thread I now feel like I need to listen to some Bal-Sagoth soon too. Wish they would do something again. Been far too long.

• TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    In keeping with the (apparent) theme of our post pacing, have a few good Doomed things of 2017 (even though this is mostly a recap and not in any particular order):
    new Boris - Dear The Flight of Sleipnir - Skadi The Doomsday Kingdom - The Doomsday Kingdom Drug Honkey - Cloak of Skies Condenados - The Tree of Death Ruins of Beverast - Exuvia Elder - Reflections of a Floating World Bathsheba - Servus Avatarium - Hurricanes and Halos Caskets Open - Follow Nothing Novembers Doom - Hamartia Pallbearer - Heartless Rozamov - This Mortal Road Slund - The Call of Agony

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Two new Converge songs, one shorty and one epic, they are both killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm3zkZX_FxI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSMciDRbhiw

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Have I missed any good Gothic Metal from 2017?

Gotta GM hankerin' plus a 2017 metal hankerin'.

Edit: Holy shit! HAHAHAHA!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNRIaeg6EyY
    Seems the dead guy has some life yet in him at around 1:19 ...

turns out to be a corvid feasting on innards or some such, but the stiff seemed to have a stiffy for about .5 seconds ... :twisted:

Edit: Yes, I'm a sadly juvenile misanthrope.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Pagan Altar last LP preview track is live here. This album is just so special for me. Terry Jones' passing hit me very hard and being able to hear him for a final time is completly incredible. I can't wait for my LP and for the live performance (with Brendan Radican on vocal duties) at Wings of Metal in Montréal later in August.

That track is fucking sweet, bro. Thanks for sharing!!

Mostly Broken

try this
    edited July 2017
    Yeah that new Pagan Altar album is solid, I got the promo for it just the other day.

autothrall on
    edited July 2017
    That reminds me. Fucking

NEW.
    TAU.
    CROSS.

Holy shit - so my jam!!!!!

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Hey, we can't use that title and not post the namesake!

https://youtu.be/XWK6bl0KJDc

And in more butt metal news, apparently Tracii Guns and Phil Lewis are back together. So, new L.A. Guns. And someone needs to tell Phil he needs to stop dressing like he's 20.

https://youtu.be/WxzNSEyQfAw

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Between Hammer of the Witches and now Cryptoriana, Cradle of Filth are on a serious roll. It looks like Dani has really hammered (heh) a seriously class line-up together, and they've actually managed to stay together for two albums on the bounce for the first time in the band's two and a half decade long history of revolving doors. And two incredibly strong albums too. If they're going to put out records of this quality I hope this line-up stays together for a very, very long time.

I can't help but wonder if Paul Allender was a weak link, looking back over the band's history.

I'm thinking back to when I met Dani briefly all the way back in 1998 (shortly before Cruelty and the Beast came out). Doesn't feel that long ago. And he was a nice dude, too.

Jazz on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    While my ears and heart love you guys, my wallet is fucking pissed.

There's like 10 things on this freaking first page that I need to buy.

Also, I have tickets to see Lacuna Coil (with Insomnium and Epica) in September and I plan on buying a Cradle of Filth album, apparently I've time warped back to 2002 and Comalies and Bitter Suites for Succubi are the new shit.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    While my ears and heart love you guys, my wallet is fucking pissed.

There's like 10 things on this freaking first page that I need to buy.

Also, I have tickets to see Lacuna Coil (with Insomnium and Epica) in September and I plan on buying a Cradle of Filth album, apparently I've time warped back to 2002 and Comalies and Bitter Suites for Succubi are the new shit.

Yeah but, fuckin' Insomnium tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mb5mu_JO9Q

jungleroomx on
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Oh boy, I love me some new thread smell!

Just listened to this baby in my endless pilgrimage through auto's lists (did a restart a little while ago, now only going through the selected albums instead of entire discographies but even with the reduced album count and my pace of 5ish albums per day, its still going to take me 2-3 years to finish!).

This shit just sounds like pure evil
    https://youtu.be/AjTmTqgX-CQ

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I don't think I've given Cradle of Filth a proper listen since the mid-90s. I personally only own The Principle of Evil Made Flesh and Dusk... and Her Embrace, but it's been a very long time since I listened to them. I might have more than that from when I got married and CD collections were merged, but I haven't tried listening to any of it. I think I just lost interest in them from the later mp3s I heard, although I did sort of like their cover of Iron Maiden's "Revelations."

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    The Wizards are very good. Thanks for the recommendation, Auto. Those guitars sound so nice.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I don't think I've given Cradle of Filth a proper listen since the mid-90s. I personally only own The Principle of Evil Made Flesh and Dusk... and Her Embrace, but it's been a very long time since I listened to them. I might have more than that from when I got married and CD collections were merged, but I haven't tried listening to any of it. I think I just lost interest in them from the later mp3s I heard, although I did sort of like their cover of Iron Maiden's "Revelations."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x26LZrX_vuI

Fuck, I actually meant this one. Not sure how I confused Revelations with Hallowed Be Thy Name. I don't think I've actually ever heard another band try to cover Revelations.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Fuck, I actually meant this one. Not sure how I confused Revelations with Hallowed Be Thy Name. I don't think I've actually ever heard another band try to cover Revelations.

Wasn't sure, but I've always loved that cover.

And while looking up Cradle of Filth covers, I see they did an Anathema cover I never knew about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5fa-U_2SIA

It's not bad! Kind of a slightly different take on the song that fits the mood of it pretty well.

I've always thought Dani was an amazing vocalist, while I found their songs hit or miss. I'll have to check out these 2 recent albums.

Yeah, I remember hearing that cover of "Sleepless" and not liking it too much. They also did a cover of "Hell Awaits" which sounded good.

edited July 2017
    If you've not heard any Cradle since, say, Dusk..., there are several I don't think you're missing much by skipping but I do recommend:

Cruelty and the Beast (although the production is bloody awful, doubly so coming after the lushness and polish of Dusk..., the songs are all awesome, and that "Hallowed Be Thy Name" cover is a bonus track on this one)
    Bitter Suites to Succubi (more a "mini album" than either an LP or the EP it's billed as, has three reworked Principle of Evil... songs, a Sisters of Mercy cover and six pretty solid tracks all its own)
    Midian (really good and consistent, includes the stone-cold classic "Her Ghost in the Fog" and possibly Dani's highest-ever scream near the end of "Cthulhu Dawn" - seriously, the things that guy can do with his voice!)
    Nymphetamine (sometimes forgotten by many but I really like this one, their best effort of the mid-to-late '00s by a country mile, and with probably the best selection of bonus tracks they've ever done on their special editions)

...and then the two newest, Hammer of the Witches from two years ago, and the new one, Cryptoriana - The Seductiveness of Decay, are both fantastic.

Also the title track from the EP From the Cradle to Enslave is a live staple, although Dani has grumbled about it!

The other albums tend to have at least one or maybe two or three properly good tracks each that will stick with you, but that might be all you take away from them. Although now I'm actually genuinely excited by the band again I might go back and give some of them another spin.
    (Dusk... is still the best, though. That album is fucking great.)

Jazz on
    edited July 2017
    Midian is my favorite, very catchy record with a Lovecraftian theme. Cruelty to the Beast is worth your time, and pretty much any of the newer stuff starting with Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder to the present has been solid at the very least, although Hammer of the Witches seems to be the one that solidified them back with a lot of folks who abandoned them.

Checking out the new Rage album! Solid tunes, but as the years pass I just continue to miss Peavy's higher range from the 80s, I don't think we'll ever go back there, and it seems to diminish even further with every new record. Still capable of good stuff, and I'm enjoying some of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OB6hO9ONE

autothrall on
    edited July 2017
    This shit just sounds like pure evil
    https://youtu.be/AjTmTqgX-CQ

I miss this band. Utter filth. And I mean that as a compliment. Technically still around, but a decade with no releases :(

autothrall on
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    I miss this band. Utter filth. And I mean that as a compliment. Technically still around, but a decade with no releases :(

:winky: :winky: :winky:
    19961287_10155054498778935_8555316632385785519_n.jpg?oh=b4ff735f329814bd81831736cbd47426&oe=5A0B17FA

Midian is my favorite, very catchy record with a Lovecraftian theme. Cruelty to the Beast is worth your time, and pretty much any of the newer stuff starting with Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder to the present has been solid at the very least, although Hammer of the Witches seems to be the one that solidified them back with a lot of folks who abandoned them.

I think you're right. Honestly the only album no-one at all seems interested in ever defending seems to be Thornography. Which, you know, fair enough; truthfully I can't actually remember any of that album off the top of my head. It's been an upward trend from there, definitely. Godspeed... is one I haven't listened to in a while, I admit, but it definitely had its moments, and a very strong concept too. Of the ones I didn't mention earlier, it's in the upper echelons.

I, for one, never actually gave up on them (you're right, I think a lot did) but I do remember popping on one or two albums and going, "well, that was alright, I suppose" and not really bothering to go back to those ones much.

They're like a new band now. Well, yeah, they basically are, besides Dani and Marthus. But it's working brilliantly.

Dani did what Axl couldn't? :wink:

Huh. So I checked our CD collection and I guess my wife had far more Cradle of Filth albums than I did. I saw Cruelty and the Beast, Midian, Damnation and a Day, Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder, The Manticore and Other Horrors, and the From the Cradle to Enslave EP. I didn't know this because I've mostly neglected to rip the stuff she brought into the collection.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    19961287_10155054498778935_8555316632385785519_n.jpg?oh=b4ff735f329814bd81831736cbd47426&oe=5A0B17FA

Me, after peeking at your Spoiler:
    g1suxflvrng6.jpg

The backpatch alone makes me harder than Chinese algebra.

I need a denim vest, never had one back in the day. But I do have a freaking patch quilt from all the merch I've collected over the years. Reminds me, I need to get that out of my storage unit, cause in have four more to add, including a Lordi patch I got in February.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Damnation and a Day is a personal favorite (where I got my namesake from) though overall I think Nymphetamine is my favorite? Granted, I haven't given them a good listen since Godspeed...

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So Periphery and Animals as Leaders announced a co-headlining tour. I'm kind of over both bands so I wasn't at all upset that the closest they're coming to me is London Ontario, but then I found out Car Bomb is opening.

Car Bomb's Meta was one of my favourite albums of 2016. I'm not sure if it was mentioned last thread, but the album kills:

https://youtu.be/z2cZv92KkXs

Also, did you guys know Nitro has reunited and has a new single out? Going to post this one without comment:

https://youtu.be/b97dUw911NY

That was.... a song.

edited July 2017
    And new Ne Obliviscaris:

https://youtu.be/UgUn4EKLMnU

Edit: Man a lot of new stuff coming out today. Here's new Chelsea Wolfe, featuring Aaron Turner (Isis, Sumac) doing some guest vocals:

https://youtu.be/RgAruEQJDhM

Dissociater on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    In an attempt to speed up this thread a bit, here's some catchy black metal thrash, from the new Urn.

https://youtu.be/GnGjMPyAps8

And the album is streaming:

http://www.cvltnation.com/666-blackthrash-premiere-streaming-urns-burning/

edited July 2017
    Although this really only of note for me, several things have occurred:

1. I've finally hit a critical mass of Doom Metal that I like enough to have Doom in fairly regular rotation based on the strength on Pallbearer's Heartless and Witchcraft's Nucleus (which is almost the only release from 2015 I listen to regularly although Nucleus didn't catch on until I'd digested Heartless).

2. Based on my very strong love for The Vision Bleak's The Unknown I suddenly have a strong desire to get lots of Gothic Metal.

Doom and Goth have been genres I could only appreciate at their very, very best but never really clicked such that I actively sought after albums in those styles until just recently.

I just wanna thank you Heshers for yet another round of ever increasing appreciation of all things metal, from a guy who got into metal through TECH DETH and MATHCORE.

Horizons expanding!! :+1::+1:
    Edit: BTW - This album is pretty fantastic imo and I particularly enjoy the vocalist, Magnus Pelander, whose voice, while unique and excellent, has elements of Jack White, Robert Lowe and Jim Morrison to me. Anyway, I had to try this one a few times before it hooked me, but I hope you enjoy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llAo6tStNbM

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
    Found this CD at the local used CD store today:

ovftugd9ep1m.jpg

The band was called Scepter. Didn't actually buy it, but was tempted.

I did buy Danzig's Circle of Snakes and Foreigner's 4, though.

edited July 2017
    Great album name!! Based on these reviews (homophobic though they may be), https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Scepter/Fucking_Metal_Motherfuckers/19312/, you might go back for a steal of a price on something worthwhile. MA reviews are notoriously YMMV, but well here's something so you can decide for yourself if it's worth the hassle for < $7 asking price:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scepter+fucking+metal+motherfuckers
    Edit: @SteevL - The MA reviews were pretty accurate on that one: some good, authentic Celtic Frost inspired Thrash Metal, without being a straight-up clone. Not much reThrash being done in that style and I'm finding it refreshing.

The whole album is not available on the 'tubes, but I would have bought it at that price based on the songs I've listened to - got the foot stomping and the head banging. Nice find!!
    LOL, the predecessor album is actually a bit tastier but a new copy of that CD is like $45 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Im-Going-Hell-Scepter/dp/B000FJKQCI
    Discogs has your back though and you can get used copies there for about what is is listed at that shop: https://www.discogs.com/artist/285552-Scepter

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
    Maybe I'll swing by there again later this week. I don't have much longer in this town!

This discussion has been closed.