As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pyre] Only Supergiant could make story-driven fantasy NBA JAM work

2»

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I really loved this game. Had off of work yesterday, and I bought this on a lark since I'd heard from several places that it was good.

I literally (ok, almost, but not quite) just played this game all day. Really great atmosphere, and the game play was fun, though sometimes a little silly/buggy. Every once in awhile the ball would get stuck in a tight corner, and the pathing for the AI couldn't find a way to pick it up. But barring those corner cases, it was a really fun game.

My choices/ending spoilers
    I kinda wanted to at different points to throw the rite for the opponent (Ignarius, Tamitha), but my competitiveness just wouldn't let me. Though I did lose some of the rites, I never lost a freedom rite (though I came really, really close once). By far the hardest decision, was at the end, my final group was Fae (the name for my moon-touched girl), Ashenwood, and Bertrude. I decided on Fae (was pretty much a no brainer, though I guess Ashenwood would probably been a better choice for the plan to succeed, and Bertrude was just there because of Ashenwood.... ugh, so many hard choices), But then we they did the whole, Fae, you can use your choice on anyone. And I'm actually whispering at the screen, "just choose yourself! Don't choose me!"
    And so I ended up choosing Oralech (after like 2 minutes of just kinda staring at the screen, my eyes getting a bit misty). Things worked out well in the end, I think. The Plan succeeded, the commonwealth was overthrown, and even those who were stuck on the downside had a pretty decent life. I think when I play again, I'll be able to throw some games, and see what some of the other choices resulted in.

From just the rites gameplay, my two mvps were definitely
    1) Fae: with relic to boost speed with the orb, and the ability to not use any stamina while carrying the orb, she could literally run circles around the other team, and then quick throw into their pyre, do decent damage and not get banished.
    2) Pamitha: With her relic from the orb, and her throw aura ability that gives invulnerability, it was easy enough to get an opening and just fly into the pyre, and then she also doesn't get banished.

I really never got a good grasp on Ti'zu's gameplay. Always just seemed too slow for me, and the instinct to throw auras around just got be blown up. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I really loved this game. Had off of work yesterday, and I bought this on a lark since I'd heard from several places that it was good.

I literally (ok, almost, but not quite) just played this game all day. Really great atmosphere, and the game play was fun, though sometimes a little silly/buggy. Every once in awhile the ball would get stuck in a tight corner, and the pathing for the AI couldn't find a way to pick it up. But barring those corner cases, it was a really fun game.

My choices/ending spoilers
    I kinda wanted to at different points to throw the rite for the opponent (Ignarius, Tamitha), but my competitiveness just wouldn't let me. Though I did lose some of the rites, I never lost a freedom rite (though I came really, really close once). By far the hardest decision, was at the end, my final group was Fae (the name for my moon-touched girl), Ashenwood, and Bertrude. I decided on Fae (was pretty much a no brainer, though I guess Ashenwood would probably been a better choice for the plan to succeed, and Bertrude was just there because of Ashenwood.... ugh, so many hard choices), But then we they did the whole, Fae, you can use your choice on anyone. And I'm actually whispering at the screen, "just choose yourself! Don't choose me!"
    And so I ended up choosing Oralech (after like 2 minutes of just kinda staring at the screen, my eyes getting a bit misty). Things worked out well in the end, I think. The Plan succeeded, the commonwealth was overthrown, and even those who were stuck on the downside had a pretty decent life. I think when I play again, I'll be able to throw some games, and see what some of the other choices resulted in.

From just the rites gameplay, my two mvps were definitely
    1) Fae: with relic to boost speed with the orb, and the ability to not use any stamina while carrying the orb, she could literally run circles around the other team, and then quick throw into their pyre, do decent damage and not get banished.
    2) Pamitha: With her relic from the orb, and her throw aura ability that gives invulnerability, it was easy enough to get an opening and just fly into the pyre, and then she also doesn't get banished.

I really never got a good grasp on Ti'zu's gameplay. Always just seemed too slow for me, and the instinct to throw auras around just got be blown up. :(

Ti'zo:
    His relic, if fully upgraded, makes his sprint and flight cost zero. He's extremely powerful. The aura burst is huge and he recovers very quickly, so you can have him just go in and banish multiple opponents quickly, or grab the orb and rush in for victory when there's an opening created by another good banisher (Jodi,
    Bertrude, etc).

I never used his weird support abilities but I'm sure they're fine.

Basically every character seems pretty straightforwardly powerful in some way except V. And even then, once you get that detonation upgrade, hoo boy.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Urgh, Ti'zo's Scribe Trial was painful.

Normally, I just wipe everyone out first and go for the orb, but Ti'zo also wipes himself out, so you have to get everyone in one blast or someone's just gonna walk into your pyre.

Finally managed it after a lot of hopping and flying and luck, but it wasn't fun.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Urgh, Ti'zo's Scribe Trial was painful.

Normally, I just wipe everyone out first and go for the orb, but Ti'zo also wipes himself out, so you have to get everyone in one blast or someone's just gonna walk into your pyre.

Finally managed it after a lot of hopping and flying and luck, but it wasn't fun.

I did manage to get the "everyone banished at the same time" trophy on this one, so that was nice.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I experienced my first loss, and it occurred to me that the AI was holding back tremendously. You can't get away with not learning every button for every chracter. I've essentially been playing without jumps.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm actually okay with this game not having online multiplayer. I don't want to deal with stuff like ranking, matchmaking, or tiers. I feel like inside a month it'd be nothing but Rukey/Gilman/Fae teams.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm actually okay with this game not having online multiplayer. I don't want to deal with stuff like ranking, matchmaking, or tiers. I feel like inside a month it'd be nothing but Rukey/Gilman/Fae teams.

Just force team rotation. If you get someone banished too often, they get banishment sickness, etc

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Not sure how deep I am at this point, but my sportsball team creeps closer to the championships, having just done the rite introducing treeguys on the opposing side. 'stachedoge remains my favorite thus far, mostly because of that glorious mustache. His mobility isn't bad either, nothing like a running leap for the enemy pyre.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Not sure how deep I am at this point, but my sportsball team creeps closer to the championships, having just done the rite introducing treeguys on the opposing side. 'stachedoge remains my favorite thus far, mostly because of that glorious mustache. His mobility isn't bad either, nothing like a running leap for the enemy pyre.

You're almost out of the tutorial

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

Mm, was kinda figuring it wasn't overly far. Guessing the book tabs are a good indicator of progression?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.

Mm, was kinda figuring it wasn't overly far. Guessing the book tabs are a good indicator of progression?

Nope. It's just a lore book for the most part.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    First liberation done and
    That choice is gonna get rather difficult.
    Ended up freeing Hedwyn. He's a nice fellow but he isn't as interesting as Jodi, The Stowaway or Rukey (he wasn't an option this time Kae edged him out but I purposely neglected him a bit because I got him an enlightenment boost early.)

Kae I think is one I'll be keeping around for awhile but I will get her out.

Also any tips with the Wyrm? He seems to be the one I'm worst with. Might just need some levels though. I thought Jodi was too slow to ever be useful, now she leaps across half the feild and terrorised everyone with a smaller aura then her.

Road Block wrote: »
    Ended up freeing Hedwyn. He's a nice fellow but he isn't as interesting as Jodi, The Stowaway or Rukey (he wasn't an option this time Kae edged him out but I purposely neglected him a bit because I got him an enlightenment boost early.)

Also any tips with the Wyrm? He seems to be the one I'm worst with. Might just need some levels though. I thought Jodi was too slow to ever be useful, now she leaps across half the feild and terrorised everyone with a smaller aura then her.

The Wyrm was like a heat-seeking missle for me. Super speedy runner, that can either quickly grab the ball, and pass it to someone who can score, or can run it in himself. His aura throw is useful as a dodge or to as a trap on defense.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Road Block wrote: »

The Wyrm was like a heat-seeking missle for me. Super speedy runner, that can either quickly grab the ball, and pass it to someone who can score, or can run it in himself. His aura throw is useful as a dodge or to as a trap on defense.

Yeah he's fast. I'm hoping the ability I just grabbed to slash then return to his starting point helps him out.

I have a bit of a dilemma regarding how I want to go forward. Modest character story spoilers
    Kae and Alman just had a pretty great scene together at the latest rite and apparently they get together if they either both stay or escape. Now I want to make this happen which means I have two paths.

1. Free both. Which means throwing a Liberation rite and condemning one more of my team to the Downside. Also I'm not sure but losing a Liberation could possibly affect my ending.

2. Leave both. Which means leaving my favorite character behind. Buuut. Kae's conversation after that scene basically stated that she's happier in the Underside then she was in the Commonwealth.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Ti'zo is hilarious and seems extremely powerful.

He hates fish and everything they stand for.

Ti'zo plush please.

Mx. Quill on
    Progress has been made, I've gotten my three starters inducted into the hall of fame thus far, and the former team captain has re-donned his jersey for another shot at the gold.

• MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    This game has been an absolute joy the past few days. Made my first big choice
    Hedwyn was freed. Jodi and Fae were my other two options and I'm not willing to let them go yet. Fae just got unlimited stam with the orb and she is a monster now. She also revealed how much happier she is here compared to the Commonwealth, so I'm going to keep her around for a while as my pillar character.

I love Ti'zo so much. Did his trial in one shot by dancing around the AI. Currently training the wyrm and harpy up and I like their styles the more I use them.

I had to stop and listen when this came on during the early part. Darren Korb does fantastic work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u438nebJzkI

Gameplay/ending question
    Is there any effect of level/inspiration of the freed character on the ending/chance of the plot succeeding?

Playthrough complete!
    Got what I am pretty sure is the Good End, a bloodless revolution in the Commonwealth. Liberations (in order) were Rukey, Hedwyn, Jodarial, *ae, Gilman, and Ti'zo, with the final liberation being slated for Volfred Sandalwood, but he pingponged the final choice to me, and I picked Oralech. I wasn't about to throw the match, but once it came down to being able to just make the pick, I had to give the guy what he already earned so long ago.

One very small gripe. With the exception of *ae the trinkets you can buy seem to be completely outclassed by what you can get from Sandra. So I only really spend money on dust and occasionally respecs. And I don't feel I ever need to persue treasure.

Gotta say the Titan stars make for some bonkers matches. Upgraded the AI can be downright mean at times. And I had to turn off the +8 hope one after it practically have the Accusers infinite respawn.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    It's so difficult to not walk around talking like 'the voice' all the time. He is just so delightfully smarmy.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Huh. Did not see that one coming.

Near Endgame Spoilers.
    The penultimate Rite did not happen.

I went to face the Essence. I'd beat them three times before, including one Liberation rite, but I'd just granted Pamitha her freedom and wondered if Tamitha would have anything to say about that.

Instead, the Essence were a no-show and I won by default. I didn't think a Triumvirate could just decide to forget the whole thing and drop out of the Rites.

I also got the Flame Quencher achievement for 'winning' the match in only a single dousing, so there's that.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Oh man. Oh mannnnn.

Something like 8-10 rites in? You know what I mean if you're that far in.
    It was pretty obvious to see in the structure of the game "Okay, the game is going to hold my hand through the first season of the sport, and then it'll open up"

I was NOT expecting to get a fucking airship and a fucking compendium tracking the wins and losses of every other team. This game is amazing.

The Liberation mechanic is a SUPER interesting twist, too. My 3 options in my first liberation match were Hedwyn, Ti'zo, and Jodi. Hedwyn was the bro-est of bros, and I sure as hell wasn't going to lose Jodi or Ti'zo from my team, so into the light you go Hedwyn. But now it's got me not wanting to use Jodi or the other characters I rely on a lot out of worry of being forced to liberate someone essential to my team.

How is this year so good for video games. How is Supergiant so good at video games.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Oh man. Oh mannnnn.

Something like 8-10 rites in? You know what I mean if you're that far in.
    It was pretty obvious to see in the structure of the game "Okay, the game is going to hold my hand through the first season of the sport, and then it'll open up"

I was NOT expecting to get a fucking airship and a fucking compendium tracking the wins and losses of every other team. This game is amazing.

The Liberation mechanic is a SUPER interesting twist, too. My 3 options in my first liberation match were Hedwyn, Ti'zo, and Jodi. Hedwyn was the bro-est of bros, and I sure as hell wasn't going to lose Jodi or Ti'zo from my team, so into the light you go Hedwyn. But now it's got me not wanting to use Jodi or the other characters I rely on a lot out of worry of being forced to liberate someone essential to my team.

How is this year so good for video games. How is Supergiant so good at video games.

Yup it's damn impressive they've done such a good job with something so different from Bastion and Transistor.

I'm surprised how balanced the characters are. They're all strong in their own way and I can't say any stand out as particularly over the top. Sir Gilman is the one I'm worst with, but even there he's suprisingly pretty good at defending I find.

Gilman on defense? What? Dunkmaster Gilman?

Delzhand wrote: »
    Gilman on defense? What? Dunkmaster Gilman?

It's the only way I could make him work for me. Have him hang back and run interception, Using slash and his trail to deny paths. Sure if the opportunity presents itself dash for the pyre.

Anyway
    He's been Liberated. Onto the final Liberation Rite.

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Huh. Did not see that one coming.

Near Endgame Spoilers.
    The penultimate Rite did not happen.

I went to face the Essence. I'd beat them three times before, including one Liberation rite, but I'd just granted Pamitha her freedom and wondered if Tamitha would have anything to say about that.

Instead, the Essence were a no-show and I won by default. I didn't think a Triumvirate could just decide to forget the whole thing and drop out of the Rites.

I also got the Flame Quencher achievement for 'winning' the match in only a single dousing, so there's that.

This did not happen for me, which I think is awesome. There are quite a few ways the game can play out.

And finished
    Liberations were:

1. Hedwyn
    2. Ruckey
    3. Jodariel
    4. Sir Gilman
    5. Pamitha
    6. Ti'Zo
    7. Orlech (In Volfred's place)

Transistor is still my favorite Supergiant game but Pyre is a damn good game and something I've never really seen before. Looking forward to whatever they do next.

• XenoZergieXenoZergie Registered User regular
    Wait, are people liberating Ti'zo?! He's not even from the Commonwealth to begin with!

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I am a slave to narrative.

3 "cycles" in (8 hours or so, you should know what I mean)
    First liberation I let Hedwyn go because he was a solid bro and an easily replaceable teammate, so easy choice.

2nd Liberation, I got some Narrative leading up to it that Rukey had set things straight and really had a good reason to go home, so despite wanting to keep him on my team I let him.

3rd one, I planned to let Jodi go to go with the narrative of liberating the OG team first and formost... But my foes in that Liberation match were the Harpies, and they were legit kicking my ass left and right that match, and I got a mini-scene with Pamitha who was on my team at the time saying she wasn't going to throw the match but she secretly wished Tamitha would win so she could go free. Lost that one. And I'm okay with it. Makes the story more interesting.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    This game is incredible but some of the scribe trials (cough hedwynn cough) are unconscionable bullshit

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    XenoZergie wrote: »
    Wait, are people liberating Ti'zo?! He's not even from the Commonwealth to begin with!

That's half the reason to do it! Little guy wants to see what the big deal is. Plus some other stuff that would need to go in a spoiler box.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm still not done with the campaign at the moment, but it occurred to me that for all the feels it has, the game is still pulling punches.
    Only a handful of the characters have connections and/or relationships in the Commonwealth. Your party is mostly composed of goofballs content with being in the Downside, and just as the tree-dude says, people are perfectly capable of finding a home, freedom or happiness there.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Finished it.

Cried three times during the ending sequence.

Choices:
    Rites
    1. Zhae the Zealous
    2. Lost, freeing Udmhilde
    3. Rukey Greentail
    4. Pamitha
    5. Hedwyn
    6. Jodariel
    7. Oralech

I lost the last Rite and, so, i felt it was only fair for Oralech to take his rightful freedom.

This was..... The best Supergiant Game so far. It had all of Supergiant's signatures and just...... it was so good. The Rites were always exciting and a challenge.

In the end, I think I was only missing 1, maybe 2 pages, due to having lost 2 rites.

Still, this was a majestic tour de force of a game. the ending song alone will sustain me for months.

I also love that this is a game with a meaningful final choice that is done right. This isn't a "pull the left lever for the green ending, pull the right lever for the yellow ending" and it's amazing to see.

edited September 2017
    Game got a patch today, adding a True Nightwings mode as a form of NG+, and also added The White Lute (the lute versions of songs you can play from ingame) and The Black Mandolin (The triumvirate variants of Never to Return) to the soundtrack.

:edit: also a shirt and a poster.

NEO|Phyte on