As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choose Your Own [chat] 2

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2017
    You take a step forward and delight in the flustered Dean taking a step back. Nervous, isn't he? "The robes in which Campbell was found. Describe them, please."

A look of genuine fear flashes over the Dean's face before he recovers himself well enough to lie. "I've never seen anything like them before, I assure you. Campbell was not a religious man, especially, certainly the University itself does not countenance any ... esoteric ceremonies on its property."

You wonder if the Dean himself ever dons such robes. Still, Campbell was doing something in his office, hardly big enough for a ceremony involving more than himself and, perhaps, a helper.

"He was wearing a somewhat garish symbol when he was found, on a necklace." The Dean reaches into his suit pocket and withdraws a photograph. You cast your eyes over the image of a grotesque shape, all writhing coils and sharp teeth. "Ghastly thing," murmurs the Dean. Note that you have a photo of a strange symbol on your character sheet.

You pluck the photograph from his fingers and study it intently. After a minute the Dean coughs again, and you look up, giving him your widest smile. "I'm sorry, Dean. I forgot you were there. You may go now. I'll call on you if you're needed, or if I have further questions."

Outrage vies with a desire to be gone from this ghoulish location, but not for long. The Dean leaves, muttering oaths about shameless women these days, leaving you with the photo.

To search the office further, turn to page 27.

To head to the library and confirm your worst fears about the symbol, turn to page 90.

To head to the University's laboratory and test the green slime, turn to page 8.

Bogart on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I look at that and the base stuff like an actual salary, insurance, and stuff are good ideas.

The payout money thing is a lot but then I look at TI champs.

Some of the folks in recent TIs who won the players got a few million each. Like most of Na'Vi are full on multimillionaires by the time they were in their early 20's.

The base salary/bennies is probably way better for the scene, especially for international players (if it applies to them equally) than huge prize money. Though huge dota prize money is still amazing.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    huh

so I mentioned to my boss that our Michigan office was somewhat disrespectful of my time last week

he tells me, yeah that's a known problem with that PM

and then says go ahead and fire back at him a bit if you want, just don't say that he said I could do it

and now I'm wondering what to do

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I look at that and the base stuff like an actual salary, insurance, and stuff are good ideas.

Some of the folks in recent TIs who won the players got a few million each. Like most of Na'Vi are full on multimillionaires by the time they were in their early 20's.

The base salary/bennies is probably way better for the scene, especially for international players (if it applies to them equally) than huge prize money. Though huge dota prize money is still amazing.

And this is season 1. If it takes off the pools will increase.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Turning it into an actual job plus the forced savings account so they have stuff after they retire is a great idea to not completely fuck some of these kids.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    huh

so I mentioned to my boss that our Michigan office was somewhat disrespectful of my time last week

and then says go ahead and fire back at him a bit if you want, just don't say that he said I could do it

Set phasers to porp, sir.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    The name is this special edition of WWE 2k18 is painful

oyS97Zm.jpg

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    huh

If you can't fall back on "the boss said it's ok" don't do it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Path of exile is fun but weird, I'm sure I gimped myself already. I do like molten strike? I like hit and a bunch of fire balls fall out. I do wish I could change my base clothes though, my duelist lacks serious style.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also holy shit TI's first place last year was 9 million to a Chinese team. 3 million for second place.

I know LoL is technically bigger but I am pretty sure DoTA2's payouts are way bigger.

Also when you realize that the 20 million total prize pool is like 1/4 of the stuff sold by Valve, Valve made god damn fucking bank.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    So the most absurd hostile work environment thing apparently happened to an engineer at another site.

She was headed out to the field and told by her Hazops manager that she can't go out in the field if she's pregnant, it's not considered safe.

A: She is not pregnant and there is no reason to suspect she is.
    B: The hazops manager is her boyfriend's ex-wife.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    imagine winning 2.5 million dollars when you're 17.

imagine not having any kind of context for that money.

god you'd get fucked over.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Preacher wrote: »
    Path of exile is fun but weird, I'm sure I gimped myself already. I do like molten strike? I like hit and a bunch of fire balls fall out. I do wish I could change my base clothes though, my duelist lacks serious style.

Yeah, I just get massive analysis paralysis from that game.

I just end up finding some skill that is fun to use and then google a build that uses that.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 99

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative So It Goes. Thread will be recycled after 99 pages.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    huh

dick pics

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Keeping us safe from the weeb sickness.

Gods bless you.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

i did this, didn't i

• Options
    Really I know blizzard has gotten flack for some of the cost for their pro-esports shit but let's look at this:

1)Players get a salary like real players not treated like they are some sort of property. This is a huge thing.
    2)One of their most successful tournaments leads to Blizz paying for the team's college. Like we know this is a game and some folks make it but seriously bros we are going to help secure your future here.

I like both of these.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    Click this, there's no time to explain

http://wavegrower.tumblr.com/

Hmm, he's doing this in Processing apparently. I should dabble some more with that.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    playing games for lots of money is an ancient practice

actually playing games for subsistence or barter is probably older than money

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Ooh, I got my PoE keys too. That's exciting.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2017

The game is very complicated Preach. Here are some quick tips for you.

*Watch some beginner videos on skill linking and general poe nub vids.
    *Dont get too attached to that character. But play him until you hit a wall and then try to figure out where in the tree and with the gems it went wrong.
    *Consider picking out a build from the official forums. Make sure it is one that says budget and is well written. Some are barebones builds but the good ones will describe everything about the build. Use these to learn interactions (make sure they say 3.0 though).
    *Dont try to use more than 1 or two actual damaging abilities. Supplement the one or two with totems, curses etc.

Have fun its a deep game. More than just set it and forget it like diablo.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    huh

Shark opens his desk drawer

Within: some pens, a USB stick, a granola bar, and a katana

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Everybody's so excited about Power over Ethernet.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    still no word from the board of nursing since last Friday

I sent them a second, more strongly-worded letter last night with a polite nudge informing them of my desire to avoid legal action

• Options
    huh

If you can't fall back on "the boss said it's ok" don't do it.

I mean I don't think he was suggesting I go scorched earth or anything.
    Also, it occurred to me that we haven’t had any further discussion regarding the Memo. I assume it’s been submitted to MDOT by now. Do you anticipate any comments or further requests for work coming? Please let me know as I have some vacation coming up and am trying to plan my time as well as I can to avoid any additional long days the night before a vacation. At the very least, we should have a discussion about why we think the ½” doubler plate results in an increase in the gusset plate stresses.

gentle enough?

• Options
    Everybody's so excited about Power over Ethernet.

it's been a godsend for us

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

*Dont get too attached to that character. But play him until you hit a wall and then try to figure out where in the tree and with the gems it went wrong.
    *Consider picking out a build from the official forums. Make sure it is one that says budget and is well written. Some are barebones builds but the good ones will describe everything about the build. Use these to learn interactions (make sure they say 3.0 though).
    *Dont try to use more than 1 or two actual damaging abilities. Supplement the one or two with totems, curses etc.

Hmm I'm already using like five skills.... Oh well I'm going until it isn't fun.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also one thing I was thinking that Blizzard could also help enforce is that winnings are placed into a trust for the kids who win it.

You get the money. It goes into a trust. At the age of 25 you have access. Till then you receive a monthly stipend from trust on top of your salary. No one else can touch the trust either.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Hmm I'm already using like five skills.... Oh well I'm going until it isn't fun.

That is fine to learn what they do and what you like. It took me awhile to get past the drought of my builds failing over and over again in the game and to play it as a main-ish game.

What put me over the hump was to find a skill I like and to find a build someone already did that looked fun and learn the bits and pieces of it all as I went along. Like Echo said.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I think I might be bad at being nice and comforting to people. I should probably just revert back to having a frozen heart and then I can move back into my ice tower and then I can have metal claws and stuff

• Options
    Also one thing I was thinking that Blizzard could also help enforce is that winnings are placed into a trust for the kids who win it.

You get the money. It goes into a trust. At the age of 25 you have access. Till then you receive a monthly stipend from trust on top of your salary. No one else can touch the trust either.

"Can't touch your money until you are 25" seems a bit paternalistic

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    imagine winning 2.5 million dollars when you're 17.

imagine not having any kind of context for that money.

god you'd get fucked over.

Max Verstappen started driving in Formula 1 at 17. He's 19 now (Mayyyybe 20? I think still 19) and is one of the hottest drivers in the sport.

I can't imagine what his life must be like. He's basically a rock star in the sport and he's still a teenager.

EDIT: Keep in mind that F1 is the premiere worldwide racing league. The elite of the elite.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Neco wrote: »
    I think I might be bad at being nice and comforting to people. I should probably just revert back to having a frozen heart and then I can move back into my ice tower and then I can have metal claws and stuff

work at being the person you want to be imo

Sir Landshark on
  • Options

"Can't touch your money until you are 25" seems a bit paternalistic

Yeah young adults are young adults. I kind of wish I could tell young me that all that 90s tech crap is junk and to not buy it heh.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    for chats information

b6pzew27ek2e.jpg

• Options

That is fine to learn what they do and what you like. It took me awhile to get past the drought of my builds failing over and over again in the game and to play it as a main-ish game.

What put me over the hump was to find a skill I like and to find a build someone already did that looked fun and learn the bits and pieces of it all as I went along. Like Echo said.

Yeah I'm sure that's where I'll go eventually. I already find myself not using a lot of things, but there's not harm in leveling up the gems when I don't have other gems to put in I wouldn't think. Eventually I'll probably drill down on some skills and use those. I would love to work some kind of dual wielding riposte build since I went duelist.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

Let it go

This discussion has been closed.