As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Dashui, count me among those encouraging you to get some more plays in on the games you already picked up so that you can start to get a feel for mechanics you enjoy or don't enjoy.

That said, Jaipur is a great game for 2 players. Simple to set up and put away. Doesn't take too long to play. And it remains fun for me after many plays.

Some other suggestions that play well with 2 but will be even better when you can rope some other folks in: King of Tokyo, Splendor and Ticket to Ride. Some would say that Century: Spice Road should supplant Splendor, and they may well be right, but I still enjoy Splendor enough to recommend it. Simple mechanics, nice weighty chips, easy set up and clean up, and you can improve over time but it's simple enough to learn that I've seen first-time players win against 3 more experienced opponents.
    I've seen Splendor go for as little as 10 bucks on sales. It's a must-buy at that price.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    You can Netrunner solo?

I don't believe so.

I misread your duo play as solo play. I see it now.

Flash Point is another coop that works fine solo, and can play up to 6.

Technically, all the Pandemics can be played solo. Even Pandemic Legacy.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    My Kickstarter of Mistborn: House War showed up on my doorstep a day ago. I did play it at GenCon in 2016, though now I'm not sure if I can get my group behind it due to the "co-op but not really" theme. The supremely generic box art doesn't help, either.
    Here are some people! They're staring off into space and/or gossiping! Those rioting peasants are the bad guys.
    hqdefault.jpg

Obviously, they never did yearbook in school or they would have known that faces are supposed to be inward, to frame the page. And they have every one of the four main sections the wrong direction! /rant

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Solo Gaming and Kickstarters showing up, Hostage Negotiator and Crime Wave Expansion:
    GJp4XWK.jpg

Also, obligatory mention of Friday as a solo-only game.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm replacing my dying laptop with a Tablet, so I can play Terra Mystica soon!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So I hear Rahdo has abandoned Reddit after this "blowup" where a promised big Gencon reveal turned out to be his review of Clank In Space. People were not happy with that for some fucking reason and the internet did what the internet do and flipped out over it along with the requisite tearing of clothes and death threats.

Man, the sooner people leave Reddit the better.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    I don't understand why people feel owed by others online that they get riled up over silly things.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    all i know is that if Kate Beaton doesn't start her comics again soon i'm burning down canada

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Wait - people threatened Rahdo's life because he left Reddit?

Also: Please don't hurt Canada, all my games are here.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Wait - people threatened Rahdo's life because he left Reddit?

Also: Please don't hurt Canada, all my games are here.

No, that's why he left reddit. they did it because he posted a review that was labelled as a "big secret gen con reveal"

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Rahdo once chewed me out, politely mind you, for saying that people giving Isaac Childres grief over some of his Gloomhaven decisions were idiots (I don't recall the specifics, something about some fans feeling ridiculously entitled for stuff in the reprint). So yeah, fuck him and his fake secret.

I kid I kid; frankly I'm surprised he's kept doing his thing before this reddit nonsense, he's slightly infamous for making rule mistakes and the histrionic shits people pull over it are just... like maybe the internet was a mistake territory.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Rahdo once chewed me out, politely mind you, for saying that people giving Isaac Childres grief over some of his Gloomhaven decisions were idiots (I don't recall the specifics, something about some fans feeling ridiculously entitled for stuff in the reprint). So yeah, fuck him and his fake secret.

I kid I kid; frankly I'm surprised he's kept doing his thing before this reddit nonsense, he's slightly infamous for making rule mistakes and the histrionic shits people pull over it are just... like maybe the internet was a mistake territory.

The internet is Pandora's Box.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Gloomhaven continues to kick me in the balls. Scenario 3, yet again. Dropped the level down to 0, but the monster level was 1 because solo 'bonus'. Ran through it again. Played smart, hung back and picked the guys off as they cam to me. Which really helped with constantly being low on health in earlier runs. But i still took too many hits. The Brute lost a couple too many cards trying to stay alive. And the tinker just loses so many from normal play. Was down to 3 guys left to kill when the Brute and Tinker went down from exhaustion. But the Scoundrel was still at full health, after a timely heal, and had 4 cards left. Enough for 3 turns. She got in close and ate some damage, dropping down to near death before barely taking out the last guy with her final hand.

Even at "easy" this game can be brutal.

The timing of the monster abilities and modifier cards are uncanny sometimes. Need to rush in to finish a guy off? Too bad. Archers immobilize everyone. Get a sweet 8 damage hit with a combo? Attack modifier says you miss. Need the guards to move in to complete your sweet trap? We're not moving, get shield 1 and oh... Strengthen as well.

Ffffffffffff

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven continues to kick me in the balls. Scenario 3, yet again. Dropped the level down to 0, but the monster level was 1 because solo 'bonus'. Ran through it again. Played smart, hung back and picked the guys off as they cam to me. Which really helped with constantly being low on health in earlier runs. But i still took too many hits. The Brute lost a couple too many cards trying to stay alive. And the tinker just loses so many from normal play. Was down to 3 guys left to kill when the Brute and Tinker went down from exhaustion. But the Scoundrel was still at full health, after a timely heal, and had 4 cards left. Enough for 3 turns. She got in close and ate some damage, dropping down to near death before barely taking out the last guy with her final hand.

The timing of the monster abilities and modifier cards are uncanny sometimes. Need to rush in to finish a guy off? Too bad. Archers immobilize everyone. Get a sweet 8 damage hit with a combo? Attack modifier says you miss. Need the guards to move in to complete your sweet trap? We're not moving, get shield 1 and oh... Strengthen as well.

Ffffffffffff

Your copy of Gloomhaven was from the first KS right? I'm waiting on the second printing one..should be getting in in the next few weeks, just checking if the second printing went out early or something

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Ffffffffffff

Your copy of Gloomhaven was from the first KS right? I'm waiting on the second printing one..should be getting in in the next few weeks, just checking if the second printing went out early or something

From the Kickstarter updates:
    In other important news, production and shipping continues to move along. I just got news that the shipment for copies to the EU and "rest of the world" backers has been booked. This is big! The games aren't quite on the boat yet, but they have given me a delivery date to the port in Hamburg as the very beginning of October.

Now you'll probably hear me saying this many times over the next few months, but arrival to the port doesn't mean arrival to your doorstep. It is still at least a two week process to get through customs, ship it to the fulfillment center, and do all the fulfillment.

But, yeah, October delivery is still looking good. As for the other shipments, we're still working it out, and I'll have more information next time.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I played Keyflower for the first time this past weekend. It was really fun! I like games that combine worker placements and building towns that other people can place workers on. The other game I played like that is New Bedford, which is fun but i felt too luck dependent (on whaling) - I guess Lords of Waterdeep has a similar mechanic built in, too.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Ffffffffffff

First run, yea. Finally got around to playing it. Busy spring and summer.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Looks like the Game Anywhere Table kickstarter went live. (Edit: Er... has been for a while, shite.)

Anyone have a couple thousand I can have to get a pair of these?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Looks like the Game Anywhere Table kickstarter went live. (Edit: Er... has been for a while, shite.)

Anyone have a couple thousand I can have to get a pair of these?

My 20$ folding card table does the same truck. Just not as flashy.

Still be cool to have one though.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Got in our first game of Twilight Imperium 4th ed today

Very good stuff. The changes are pretty all positive and where they are far-reaching (trade and politics, notably) they improve the system vastly

If I have one criticism it's that the game should allow for eight players because that's where it really takes off, and also that some of the factions are definitely still more or less powerful than each other (I played the Barony of Letnev and I was unimpressed. Factions that make you better at stuff you can already do are not as good as factions that give you more options, straight up).

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Is there something in the rule changes that makes 8 players preferable? The minis are the bulk of the cost so you can see why they didn't make an expensive game even more inaccessible to include a mode that I'm not sure the smallest minority ever used in TI3

Was there any meaningful playtime difference?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    pic3706909.jpg
    Before winter makes its appearance, a particularly warm fall bathes the forest in a golden shimmer. During the Indian Summer, New England blossoms one last time. Treetops are ablaze with countless colors — a living rainbow, from green to orange to red. Slowly the first leaves are starting to fall. Meanwhile, our steps and the diligent squirrels rustle the colorful foliage.

On our walks through the woods, we discover all kinds of little treasures; we collect berries, nuts, mushrooms and feathers. We pause for a moment to watch the shy inhabitants of the forest before we set off towards home once again. There, a good book and a hot tea are already awaiting.

Indian Summer is the second part of Uwe Rosenberg's puzzle trilogy following 2016's Cottage Garden, and this game is firmly geared towards experienced players. At the heart of the game are puzzle tiles with holes that are placed on individual forest boards to cover up treasures. When players get their hands on these, they gain more options and an edge over their opponents. All that counts in the end is to be the first to cover your forest floor completely with leaves.

Yes plz

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hmm. So a while ago I posted about how Zombicide was better than I expected given its reputation. Possibly I was too kind given my reaction to a friend declaring he was looking forward to playing it again when we catch up in a few weeks (it might be the only modern boardgame he's played, so not being roll and move is a revelation)

Assuming I can't wiggle out of it, are there any thoughts on which of the scenarios in the base game are more interesting or are at least mercifully short?

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    There's one early on using the cars that is short. I remember we house-ruled that you don't have to worry about hitting the driver of a car you're currently the passenger of if you're shooting out the window, because that's just stupid.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Hmm. So a while ago I posted about how Zombicide was better than I expected given its reputation. Possibly I was too kind given my reaction to a friend declaring he was looking forward to playing it again when we catch up in a few weeks (it might be the only modern boardgame he's played, so not being roll and move is a revelation)

Assuming I can't wiggle out of it, are there any thoughts on which of the scenarios in the base game are more interesting or are at least mercifully short?

Zombicide without the expansion stuff pretty much isn't worth playing and I say that as someone who LOVES Zombicide. So if you want a fun, challenging time, mix stuff in. The map has very little effect on the over all enjoyment.

Plus, it may help if you tell us which Zombicide it is; there's like 6 currently. Assuming it's just vanilla season 1, hopefully he has the Dogz and Crowz etc. the VIP pack is pretty fun and there's some small packs you can get that introduce beserkers and toxic zombies as well without having to buy the full season 2 and 3 to get them.

Plus make sure you use the alternate targetting rules; the friendly fire ones in the base game are ridiculous.

edit: also here's a reddit thread asking the same question. It's blocked for me but maybe has some good ideas?
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiNo8GmwfzVAhVnQZoKHf-1BcEQFghEMAI&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/2snqnh/what_are_the_most_fun_scenarios_you_have_played/&usg=AFQjCNFkHaNN-i1GILNrQeXIXHC8M6QOIw

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    A buddy reminded me that we hadn't played Thunderstone in ages, so we'll do some games this weekend.

I was looking at expansions for it, and it seems the game is dead now? I knew it got some second/"enhanced" edition or whatever they called it.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    A buddy reminded me that we hadn't played Thunderstone in ages, so we'll do some games this weekend.

I was looking at expansions for it, and it seems the game is dead now? I knew it got some second/"enhanced" edition or whatever they called it.

Thunderstone Advance which, if you liked original Thunderstone, is pretty solid and comes in several mostly self-contained sets.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Thunderstone Advance which, if you liked original Thunderstone, is pretty solid and comes in several mostly self-contained sets.

Which is also dead now I believe since they just Kickstarted Thunderstone Quest

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Zombicide without the expansion stuff pretty much isn't worth playing and I say that as someone who LOVES Zombicide. So if you want a fun, challenging time, mix stuff in. The map has very little effect on the over all enjoyment.

Plus, it may help if you tell us which Zombicide it is; there's like 6 currently. Assuming it's just vanilla season 1, hopefully he has the Dogz and Crowz etc. the VIP pack is pretty fun and there's some small packs you can get that introduce beserkers and toxic zombies as well without having to buy the full season 2 and 3 to get them.

Plus make sure you use the alternate targetting rules; the friendly fire ones in the base game are ridiculous.

edit: also here's a reddit thread asking the same question. It's blocked for me but maybe has some good ideas?
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiNo8GmwfzVAhVnQZoKHf-1BcEQFghEMAI&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/2snqnh/what_are_the_most_fun_scenarios_you_have_played/&usg=AFQjCNFkHaNN-i1GILNrQeXIXHC8M6QOIw

No expansions, just the standard Zombicide.

Thanks for the ideas though

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

Which is also dead now I believe since they just Kickstarted Thunderstone Quest

Oh, I hadn't realized it was a full-on new edition!

Well, there you have it.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh right, they did the Quest version.

I'll bring Legendary Encounters: Alien as well, because it's pretty much the same game.

• Options
    Oh right, they did the Quest version.

I'll bring Legendary Encounters: Alien as well, because it's pretty much the same game.

I really enjoy that one. The Predator one didn't seem quite as well put together when I tried it, however.

• Options
    Legendary Alien seemed really messy to us but I'm 90% sure we had a lot of rules wrong.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Is Legendary Aliens a good intro to the deckbuilding mechanic?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Mint Delivery is live for all of us who had $10 ($12 for most non-US locations) burning a minty-fresh hole in our pockets.

• Options

It's got a little bit too much going on in terms of the Problems Engine you're fighting against; I'd probably start people on Ascension or Star Realms.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Mint Delivery is live for all of us who had $10 ($12 for most non-US locations) burning a minty-fresh hole in our pockets.

:hate stare:

Backed.

Thanks... I guess.

Actually, I'm kinda excited to see how this one turns out, and Mint Works was such a sweet package and this is also only $10? Sure, I'll risk that.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Leaning towards no, there's a lot going on so a 'simpler' game would probably work better as an introduction. My fiancee who is not a gamer has given it a few tries and just can't wrap her head around it.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Base Ascension is probably the best deckbuilder intro game out there--simplest rules-wise but still very satisfying.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Base Ascension is probably the best deckbuilder intro game out there--simplest rules-wise but still very satisfying.

Oh my god I agree with Astareth.

Somebody ask me my name take my temperature anything