As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Selling board games, the comprehensive tutorial:

Step 1) price games to move, not to recoup your costs or market value or whatever. anything beyond a price that will make someone immediately impulse buy a game they don't really want is too much.

That's the end of the comprehensive tutorial on how to successfully sell boardgames. If you can find a local trading/selling group through Facebook or whatever that's helpful too.

The only exception is if you have something that is out of print and unlikely to come back into print any time soon. Then you can probably price it around 1.5x-2x list price and you'll find a taker before too long. You can even go higher than 2x if you are comfortable with price gouging (hint: you shouldn't be) and the game is widely desired.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I'm curious what people think "priced to move" is

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I would imagine almost nothing as the shipping will add another £10-15

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I would imagine almost nothing as the shipping will add another £10-15

Less than half retail price plus shipping normally works. So if it is $10 to ship and the game goes for $30 new on Amazon, you are lucky to get $5 for the game.

At the event I went to, you put a price on your game and then every hour the price automatically goes down $5 until either it sells or the event ends and you take it home. Almost nothing still in print sold until the very end. Some cool out of print stuff went quick.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

Just think if you were looking at a used game and were kinda interested in the game, what would be a price point that would get you to impulse buy a copy of it? If it's not local you have to factor in another $12+ for shipping as well. Basically if it's an easy available game and you genuinely want to get it out of your house it's going to be a very low number. I have personally found that many people pay lip service to wanting to sell games and free up room, but many less people are willing to sell games cheaply enough to make this actually happen on a meaningful scale.

• Options
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1902315/free-copy-resistor-shipping-level-99

Resistor for free from level 99 games, mine came to $7.10 shipping

I picked up Pixel Tactics Deluxe too because of that, super cool of them to do that.

League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

Just think if you were looking at a used game and were kinda interested in the game, what would be a price point that would get you to impulse buy a copy of it? If it's not local you have to factor in another $12+ for shipping as well. Basically if it's an easy available game and you genuinely want to get it out of your house it's going to be a very low number. I have personally found that many people pay lip service to wanting to sell games and free up room, but many less people are willing to sell games cheaply enough to make this actually happen on a meaningful scale.

i don't really impulse buy games, i tend to hem and haw about it for ages before deciding. other stuff certainly but not board games so it's tough. my personal reaction to the phase "priced to move" was literally $1 + shipping. that seems to be in line with what people were/are saying.

i want to get rid of stuff but when i lament being unable to get new things it is mostly joking. i'm not dieing for new games. if i wanted it gone tomorrow i'd just donate it locally rather than try to ebay it for $1

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh boy here we go.

https://youtu.be/mKc5XhvkC8M

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Took Azul to game night tonight, played it 6 times in a row. That game is just really really good is all.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Well great, now I really want Gloomhaven.

And the free time and life situation to be able to play Gloomhaven properly.

Sigh.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Every time I see something about Gloomhaven it makes me more happy I didn't back it. I mean it looks fun but there's no way my wife and I would ever ever actually play it.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Well great, now I really want Gloomhaven.

And the free time and life situation to be able to play Gloomhaven properly.

Sigh.

We were rolling 'til the school year started, since everyone in my GH group but me and occasionally my engineer buddy is a teacher. It's been months and now the weather keeps screwing with getting going again. We were probably 60% through?

• Options
    13 year old me would have loved to play Gloomhaven. I also would have had the friends and spare time to play it. 37 year old me doesn't want to bother punching out the chits and setting the game up. I would probably have a sore neck from roaming around the table and placing all of the stuff.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Yea I get setup fatigue just looking at that pile of nonsense. If I had a big table I could leave it set up on maybe it would be more feasible to ever play? Dunno.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I actually make out really good selling games AND getting close to equal to or more than I paid for them but usually I price them at 50% of what I paid. Shipping is insanely expensive now tho.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Gloomhaven makes me wish the same people would make a better version of the Pathfinder Card Game, which I find alright but not really good enough to grab me. It is a lot simpler to set up and teach though.

Has anyone tried or heard anything about FFGs Legacy of Dragonsmeet? It looks kind of like Lone Wolf plus Consulting Detective

Neaden on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Man, second game of Concordia and I was one point ahead of last place. It's depressing me. My brother in law, who owns Scythe but has not won a single game of it yet, remarks on the similarity.

What exactly do I need to do to win?

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Gloomhaven makes me wish the same people would make a better version of the Pathfinder Card Game, which I find alright but not really good enough to grab me. It is a lot simpler to set up and teach though.

Has anyone tried or heard anything about FFGs Legacy of Dragonsmeet? It looks kind of like Lone Wolf plus Consulting Detective

You mean Legacy of Dragonholt? I picked it up and my wife and I played through the first book. I think it's really neat, it's just an immersive choose your own adventure with a couple of rules to make it a 'game.' I like it with 2, but also want to try it with 3 or 4 to vary the action selection (basically, each person has to make an action decision before everyone 'resets' and can choose again).

$60 is a little expensive (so get it on sale/CSI/whatever), but it does have some replayability even if you've completed it since you can play and take different branches in each book/adventure.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    We won our first March game in Pandemic Season 2. In regular Pandemic and in Season 1, running out of player cards was why we either lost or why it was close. In this game, if we don't win before the 4th Epidemic, we will lose because of incidents. No matter what strategy we try, we never have cubes in the right place. I am hoping the extra action given to us in March will keep London and Lagos from being such a pain in our asses.

I don't think I spoiled anything, but I apologize nonetheless.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Man, second game of Concordia and I was one point ahead of last place. It's depressing me. My brother in law, who owns Scythe but has not won a single game of it yet, remarks on the similarity.

What exactly do I need to do to win?

Count the number of cards in your deck at the end and compare it to the victors. In my experience, whoever buys the most cards usually wins. (Or, more precisely: in a 4-5 player game, the top two players almost always are the two players with the largest decks.)

If you're losing because you're two or three cards down on the leaders, then it's just a matter of working backwards and figuring out why you aren't buying enough cards. Are you overspending on cards by spending cloth to buy from the beginning of the array when you could just get the cards at the end of the array much more cheaply? Are you not leeching off your opponents' production by building in the regions that they're likely to produce regularly?

If you're not losing because of the number of cards in your deck, then the problem must be that you're not optimizing your score based on the composition of that deck. You should be getting 9 or 10 points from every card in your deck by the end (except Vesta, of course); if you don't reach that, it's probably because you're trying to do everything rather than focusing on one or two gods that you can optimize around. If you're creating a bunch of colonists, then you need to have as many of the colonist cards (Mars?) as possible. Otherwise, don't worry about building too many extra colonists. If you've invested in Saturn cards early on, then make sure you're reaching nearly every region and buying a bunch more Saturn cards before the end. Etc.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    @Dirk2112

Put pandemic legacy gameplay discussion in spoiler tags.

• Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    Our group copy of Gloomhaven arrived last week. We've sat down and punched every thing, then selected our starting characters how cool the name was / how cool the mini looked. Probably won't have time to actually play until next year, but it does look like a lot of fun.

• Options
    What you posted wasn’t especially egregious or anything Dirk, but it’s more keeping a tight ship so no one slips up, but thanks for changing your post. It means a lot.

Watching thr SU&SD gloomhaven review both sold and unsold me on the game. If I didn’t already have multiple pen and paper rpg groups going (5 games thinking about it, holy crap) I think I’d go for it but I just don’t know if it would hit the table enough to justify the shelf space and price tag.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Friends and I are playing TI4 for the first time next week and I kind of what to snag a couple of these. Overboard or worth it?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Friends and I are playing TI4 for the first time next week and I kind of what to snag a couple of these. Overboard or worth it?

Probably more trouble than they're worth to use

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    • Options
      The best way to handle large unwieldy fleets, or armies in any game, is labeled areas with corresponding tokens.

So the fleet in holding pen A is wherever the A token is on the map.

That said I’ve never felt the need to do that in TI3.

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Thanks for the input; first time I saved money reading the threads haha.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
        Barnes & Noble is currently selling the Dropmix base set for 40% off (plus an extra 10% if you're a member) so my friend effectively picked it up at a discount while still picking up some books too. We definitely prefer Clash to Party but we had some fun.

• Options
        Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
        Gloomhaven is great with the Broken Token organizer. That really, really speeds up set up and tear down. We tried one of the sidequests last night and got face rolled twice, but we went back to the city with fat sacks of gold and now have much better gear for our next outing. Also picked up a new sidequest from a random event (right after we put the map board away, of course).

Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum, have almost finished the scenarios in the Massive Darkness box. Just two to go and I will have played all ten. We don't reshuffle the roaming monster decks between plays and it's impressive how we are still finding new roaming monsters to fight all these games later (twice as funny because some of the Zombicide: Black Plague monsters never actually hit the table while playing ZBP). Abominataur took out two heroes with back to back activations yesterday which was pretty brutal.

• Options
        ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
        Anybody know any good 2-4 player co-op games? Wife and I are always looking for options. We're huge Zombiciders, but something ... less lethal would be nice.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
      • Options
        Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
        Tox wrote: »
        Anybody know any good 2-4 player co-op games? Wife and I are always looking for options. We're huge Zombiciders, but something ... less lethal would be nice.

Legacy of Dragonholt (story/choose your own adventure)
        T.I.M.E. Stories (my wife and I liked most of what we've played)
        Pandemic Legacy
        Defenders of the Realm (think fantasy Pandemic, but with a few tweaks and just play the LotR soundtrack the whole time)
        Burgle Bros (very thematic heist game)

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
      • Options
        ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
        Flash point (firefighting)
        Space alert (timed space ship survival)
        Imperial assault (app allows full coop now for AI imperial actions)
        Hanabi (coop card game)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      • Options
        FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
      • Options
        DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
        edited December 2017
        Mechs Vs minionsfor co-op : it's so much fun!

Had my birthday party boardgame extravaganza last Saturday. We played secret hitler, spy fall and skull.
        Being the birthday boy got me assassinated a few times when no one had any suspicions but they still want to take someone out.

Spy fall: don't go to the toilet in between games if you are the birthday boy!
        When I came back the cards had been delt and because I was slightly inebriated I didn't stop to think about it. Not even when I picked up my card and it was the spy. When we started I got a lot more attention then all the other players. I eventually discerned I was located on the ocean liner.
        So I called it and was wrong. We were actually in a space station but because they tricked me by answering as if they were on an ocean liner.

Dirtmuncher on
        steam_sig.png
      • Options
        DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
        Three games into Charterstone, and we're really digging it. Games are breezy and there are a lot of paths to victory each game. Already feels really cool shaping the village.

• Options
        LindLind Registered User regular
        ArcSyn wrote: »
        Flash point (firefighting)
        Space alert (timed space ship survival)
        Imperial assault (app allows full coop now for AI imperial actions)
        Hanabi (coop card game)

Good picks, extra plus 1 for Flash Point, its awesome coop.

• Options
        edited December 2017

I don't think anyone said Pandemic, so Pandemic. Also The Game and Robinson Crusoe (if you don't mind some fiddly rules and also getting crushed every time).

Edit: also Escape From 100 Million BC is a great time. Real silly, tons of dice chucking, etc.

Ah_Pook on
      • Options
        edited December 2017

There have already been a number of great choices. Pandemic Legacy, easily being the best.

Others that we like:

Castle Panic (You need to get the wizard's tower to make it worthwhile though)
        Forbidden Island or Desert
        Mysterium (you really need 3 or 4 players though)

Then again maybe you shouldn't go by my group. We have been trying to trade away Zombicide since we got it.

Dirk2112 on
        NNID = Zepp914
      • Options
        AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
        Can anyone point me to resources for running a league?

Now that Netrunner has its revised core out, I want to get a league going. I want to make it as inclusive as possible, using an OP quarterly kit, to get people out and playing. I was thinking Cache Refresh rules to lower the barrier of entry. But I am not sure how to fairly score a league so people don't abuse it by just playing the same people over and over again.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch