As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ducktales 2017

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Even in the cartoons though it's weird because Scrooge is defined by his storied history while having two generations of nephews who never age. Handwaving his age with "magic" or whatever is also weird because, so, does Goldie have magic aging powers too? Did Scrooge's sister, aka Donald's mom? This all falls into the "it's a cartoon, don't overthink it" field.

Goldie found a fountain of youth. Their first conversation is basically "why are you not dust?"

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    This take on Goldie is fantastic. She's an actual legit rival here, not just yet another clodding antagonist. I love the way her backstabbing and is balanced out with earnest love and admiration for Scrooge. It's a mutual respect, mixed with independence and greed. No wonder he's still in love with her. lol

And I LOVE how their fight at the end is a throwback to their dance at the start of the episode. <3

This became my favorite episode pretty much immediately.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I like that theyre basically Lupin and Fujiko in this series. It fits better with how Scrooge is portrayed .

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Jeez, just how old IS Scrooge??

At least 135 years old if he was older than 15 when he went to Klondike (When the original "Back to Klondike" was drawn he would have been 65-ish, which is kind of the age he appears to be).
    Now you just throw a lampshade on it, because the Ducktales timeline is kinda messed up.

Part of the problem is that the show is based on Carl Barks and Don Rosa's comics, who deliberatly set the series in the 1950's, while the new Ducktales is in modern day.

Yeah according to Rosa, Scrooge died in 1967 at the age of 100, which is weird if you think about it too long, so I don't

Even in the cartoons though it's weird because Scrooge is defined by his storied history while having two generations of nephews who never age. Handwaving his age with "magic" or whatever is also weird because, so, does Goldie have magic aging powers too? Did Scrooge's sister, aka Donald's mom? This all falls into the "it's a cartoon, don't overthink it" field.

I was ready to dislike this version of Goldie though, but it warmed on me over the episode. Janney is fantastic and I think it's good for a character to be there who reinforces "Scrooge cares about the adventure, not the treasure" since the nephews are doing the job of being his moral compass. It also really helps the show in the long run to establish that Scrooge has a form on opponent who isn't actually incompetent.

Yeah, the show kinda shot itself in the foot with that because Glomgold in the comics could be incredibly fucking dangerous when he wanted to be. He's way too goofy to be a threat here

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

At least 135 years old if he was older than 15 when he went to Klondike (When the original "Back to Klondike" was drawn he would have been 65-ish, which is kind of the age he appears to be).
    Now you just throw a lampshade on it, because the Ducktales timeline is kinda messed up.

Part of the problem is that the show is based on Carl Barks and Don Rosa's comics, who deliberatly set the series in the 1950's, while the new Ducktales is in modern day.

Yeah according to Rosa, Scrooge died in 1967 at the age of 100, which is weird if you think about it too long, so I don't

I was ready to dislike this version of Goldie though, but it warmed on me over the episode. Janney is fantastic and I think it's good for a character to be there who reinforces "Scrooge cares about the adventure, not the treasure" since the nephews are doing the job of being his moral compass. It also really helps the show in the long run to establish that Scrooge has a form on opponent who isn't actually incompetent.

Yeah, the show kinda shot itself in the foot with that because Glomgold in the comics could be incredibly fucking dangerous when he wanted to be. He's way too goofy to be a threat here

He's The Monarch without a competent henchman or significant other.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

Eh I think its better this way Ma Beagle and Magica being the actual dangerous and competent villians is more fun.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Glomgold is still my favourite bad guy by a long shot. He just tries so hard you want to see him succeed for once.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Glomgold is still my favourite bad guy by a long shot. He just tries so hard you want to see him succeed for once.

That can't happen for the same reason Wile E. Coyote could never score a win; if he succeeds, the star of the show is dead!

• Options

Eh I think its better this way Ma Beagle and Magica being the actual dangerous and competent villians is more fun.

Ma Beagle is fine, but they should have used Blackheart Beagle from Don Rosa's works. I really liked his and Scrooge's rivarly from A Little Something Special where Blackheart mentions that part of his grudge against Scrooge is because he used to rule Duckburg before Scrooge showed up.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I think new Glomgold works fine as is because of the expanded cast they have for this show. Adding new characters and bringing out old ones that didn't make it into the first tv series. We need a BWAHAHAHAHAHA character that tries and fails for laughs and it seems to fit him perfectly. Ma Beagle works great as a smart villain whose weakness will always be one of her sons. Magicka seems more wacky in the last episode but there's lots left to reveal with her, Goldie worked great as a rival and frenemy and I'm hoping they make Beaks just obsessed with Gizmo Duck. I think a good character arc for him would be to see him slowly start to lose in failed attempts at stealing copying the suit revealing the real villain his "image" hides.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular

I absolutely love the new version of Glomgold but yeah, in the comics there were several instances of Glomgold's plan involving trying to kill someone, and I don't mean like with a deathtrap, I mean I have a gun now do what I say or I will murder you

Don-Rosa-page-1.jpg

• Options
    He was literally going to kill Scrooge with gold in the last episode. Him being incompetent doesn't mean he isn't evil.

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Goldie found a fountain of youth. Their first conversation is basically "why are you not dust?"

I completely forgot this because I'm dumb

• Options

I absolutely love the new version of Glomgold but yeah, in the comics there were several instances of Glomgold's plan involving trying to kill someone, and I don't mean like with a deathtrap, I mean I have a gun now do what I say or I will murder you

Don-Rosa-page-1.jpg

Thats basically why the European comics went with Rockerduck instead of Glomgold, Rockerduck is a BUSINESS rival but isnt interested in fucking murdering Scrooge over some stupid money grudge. There was a crossover where Glomgold and Rockerduck worked together, and Rockerduck actually dropped it because Glomgold went WAY too far with it.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I remember some villains, one named McSwine and I think the other named . . . Sharkey? They were competing to find an ancient temple first, and of course Scrooge and co outwitted them. I'd think they'd be a good fit for the adventure-centered attitude Scrooge has now.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I remember some villains, one named McSwine and I think the other named . . . Sharkey? They were competing to find an ancient temple first, and of course Scrooge and co outwitted them. I'd think they'd be a good fit for the adventure-centered attitude Scrooge has now.

McSwine was a recurring Barks villain, though he mostly antagonized Donald. Sharkey was a lawyer villain, but he wasnt nearly as notable as McSwine.

• Options
    hawkbox wrote: »
    He was literally going to kill Scrooge with gold in the last episode. Him being incompetent doesn't mean he isn't evil.

We all know that comical deathtraps arent nearly as evil as guns.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Comical deathraps are the villain equivalent of "this was a nice visit, thank you for coming, I look forward to doing this again soon!"

They're never really meant to kill anybody.

• Options
    edited June 2018

McSwine was a recurring Barks villain, though he mostly antagonized Donald. Sharkey was a lawyer villain, but he wasnt nearly as notable as McSwine.

Well, it has been 15+ years since I last read that comic, but I know it was the mustached pig and a long-snouted villain, and that their entire plan was to wait until the ducks dug up the site and then steal all the artifacts, which didn't happen because they scared the ducks, who ran away and into a "sacrificial pit" that was flooded, and joined up to the inner area of the temple, where they found plentiful artifacts, including some masks and such, and turned the tables on said villains, scaring them in turn (and they fell into the same pit, but apparently neither could swim, so McDuck tossed them life preservers). It began and ended at some explorer's league style place where McDuck and the villains were trying to gain entry, which required discovering a major archeological find, but I found the focus on adventuring far more interesting than Scrooge's usual lust for treasure in specific.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Comical deathraps are the villain equivalent of "this was a nice visit, thank you for coming, I look forward to doing this again soon!"

They're never really meant to kill anybody.

And if they do manage to kill you, that hardly makes the victim a worth rival. A worthy rival would have seen the switch and either tripped the trap from a safe distance or just avoided it altogether.

• Options

Well, it has been 15+ years since I last read that comic, but I know it was the mustached pig and a long-snouted villain, and that their entire plan was to wait until the ducks dug up the site and then steal all the artifacts, which didn't happen because they scared the ducks, who ran away and into a "sacrificial pit" that was flooded, and joined up to the inner area of the temple, where they found plentiful artifacts, including some masks and such, and turned the tables on said villains, scaring them in turn (and they fell into the same pit, but apparently neither could swim, so McDuck tossed them life preservers). It began and ended at some explorer's league style place where McDuck and the villains were trying to gain entry, which required discovering a major archeological find, but I found the focus on adventuring far more interesting than Scrooge's usual lust for treasure in specific.

Entirerly possible, both McSwine and Lawyer Sharkey were recurring Barks villains, but I only recall Sharkey working with another villain, Azure Blue. that would have let Blue take claim over North America.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I loved Glomgold quoting Belloq

• Options
    Also Glomgold appears to have triggered one more trap than we saw, at least I didn't see snakes until he showed up.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! HATED RIVALS!

I think the only thing I don't care for is the people voicing the nephews. They all sound about 15 years older than they appear to be. Especially Dewey. It's not that they're bad voice actors because they aren't, it's just that they're wrong for the part. I guess Louie (I think) is about the best.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSj8DiILfgg

"Of course"

P.S: They definitely don't sound like they're 25 so 15 years older is an exaggeration. I'm fine with the nephews voice acting. Especially since I really like this iteration of the nephews. A lot more character than previous versions.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    They're all in their late 30s

edit: and early 40s

I love their character(s). It's nice they all have different personalities.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

I think the only thing I don't care for is the people voicing the nephews. They all sound about 15 years older than they appear to be. Especially Dewey. It's not that they're bad voice actors because they aren't, it's just that they're wrong for the part. I guess Louie (I think) is about the best.

Casting kids isnt practical honestly . Also given their past voices Danny,Tommy and Ben are already the best portrayal of the triplets

• Options
    edited June 2018

Magica is competent, but has been pretty impotent thus far due to mostly relying on Lena to get anything done.

I assume we're going to get an episode where Magica escalates things and no longer needs Lena's assistance, but she's pretty much toothless for the time being.

Goatmon on

• Options

Casting kids isnt practical honestly . Also given their past voices Danny,Tommy and Ben are already the best portrayal of the triplets

eeehhhh Jeremy Shada and Collin Dean (Adventure Time and Over The Garden Wall respectively) are incredible and actually sound their age.

I feel like I should note that I really love Duck Tales, but just feel like they could have done better with the VAs for the nephews

• Options
    I found the boys' voices to be jarring when I saw the trailer, but they're very good and I got used to them more or less immediately into the first episode.

• Options
    I really like them personally.

• Options
    edited June 2018

eeehhhh Jeremy Shada and Collin Dean (Adventure Time and Over The Garden Wall respectively) are incredible and actually sound their age.

I feel like I should note that I really love Duck Tales, but just feel like they could have done better with the VAs for the nephews

Disney contracts VAs for core characters for a long time. They need consistent unchanging voices. These guys are probably the triplets for the foreseeable future

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Yeah, I can't think of a voice that's bothered me thus far. They're all a lot of fun.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

"Of course"

P.S: They definitely don't sound like they're 25 so 15 years older is an exaggeration. I'm fine with the nephews voice acting. Especially since I really like this iteration of the nephews. A lot more character than previous versions.

Wait...did Webby just say "Thanks for the help" to the snakes as she threw them into the smashing wall pit?

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

"Of course"

Wait...did Webby just say "Thanks for the help" to the snakes as she threw them into the smashing wall pit?

Trap Snakes are immortal in Ducktales. The ones in Atlantis are like 5000 years old and had no discernable food source

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Mvrck wrote: »

"Of course"

Trap Snakes are immortal in Ducktales. The ones in Atlantis are like 5000 years old and had no discernable food source

They also have incredibly powerful jaws, flexible spines and extreme durability.
    I mean, just look what those snakes have gone through in the past few minutes, tied in knots, thrown hard enough to have their teeth embed in stone, then climbed by 5 ducks (or four ducks and whatever Launchpad is if he's not a duck). Then dislodged from the stone with a careless flick.

Fortunately for the ducks, their venom is non lethal and the snakes themselves remarkably docile considering their rough handling, otherwise we'd likely be watching Snaketales, set in the city of Snakeburg following Scrooge McSnake as the trap snakes would have long ago risen to the top of the food chain.

see317 on
  • Options
    I assume Launchpad is a Pelican.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure he's just a big duck. Surname is McQuack.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »

Duckworth?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Duckworth?

About $6 a pound.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious