As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ducktales 2017

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    One of the problems with Disney is they do a really bad job of announcing when they plan to have new episodes, so it's really hard to build anticipation.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Well this sucks. I've waited patiently for new episodes to show up on Disney Now (They were consistent in the first half of Season 3, but have been in a completely garbled order without any consistency for the second half) in order to make sure the show gets ad revenue from me.

One of the best cartoons I've ever seen. It will be gravely missed.

EDIT: God, this and Venture Bros is a real bad double whammy. Even animation isn't immune from 2020 general suck.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I’m can’t think of another show that nails it’s source material, shows constant love to both it and the fans with all kinds of nods and references, while also just being so perfectly written, cast, and acted.

Ducktales didn’t need to be as good as it was and it raised the bar constantly anyway.

It is absolutely mind boggling that a project of this ridiculous quality can be so blindly unappreciated by Disney.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    There's a few other cartoon reboots I would put on the same level as Ducktales '17. Transformers Animated, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles '12, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, etc. But it's definitely on the highest tier.

• Options
    What shocked me was not only the genuinely love for the original cartoon, but even stuff like the comics and videogame.

They did the moon music! Multiple ways!

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm just baffled Disney shows still don't drop next day on demand with all of Hollywood pivoting to streaming.

In fairness, the last time a new streaming network tried to put Danny Pudi and Paget Brewster on a show together, it ended up bankrupting the entire studio.

• Options
    Disney execs are likely pissed that their plan to basically take over the theaters has been derailed. They can't get those big box office numbers that get the investors all in a tizzy. They're likely still clinging to hope that the theater system bounces back, so the can keep exploiting them while racking up records.

Subscibers to Disney+ is a good number to throw out, but it's harder to directly correlate subscribers to the hundred million dollar flicks Disney likes to put out.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Disney execs are likely pissed that their plan to basically take over the theaters has been derailed. They can't get those big box office numbers that get the investors all in a tizzy. They're likely still clinging to hope that the theater system bounces back, so the can keep exploiting them while racking up records.

Subscibers to Disney+ is a good number to throw out, but it's harder to directly correlate subscribers to the hundred million dollar flicks Disney likes to put out.

Also Disney is so cheap that they aren't bothering to pay the residuals for Star Wars books they're still selling. The cost/performance of the show is probably not even close to high enough for greed of that scale.

• Options
    It's super ironic if the thing that ultimately destroyed Ducktales is the money.

I wonder if David Tenant contract had anything to do with it? British actors often don't like to commit to long term projects, and Disney is used to producing lots of kids shows that don't feature long term contracts either because children change really fast, and because it's a great bargaining tactic to prevent actors from demanding pay increasing.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tenant by all accounts loves voice acting. I doubt it was connected to him at all

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Disney confirmed it, so much for the hope it was a rumor that got out of hand.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Yeah the show runners both confirmed it yesterday too with a nice letter on twitter

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The mouse has killed the duck.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Welp, it's happening. New episodes start Monday the 22nd and continue through March 15, when we get a 90-minute finale.

Also:

https://youtu.be/gy02x3ef5tw

• Options
    Heads-up -- some details of the finale are leaking online, so be careful.

• Options

Must. Resist.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    oh no.

Ducktales is such a good show. Sad :(

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    The finale's coming within days. But, we're being left with a little parting thing.

Starting March 29 on the Disney XD YouTube channel, we'll get seven podcasts.

...featuring the ENTIRE extended cast.

...in character, presenting stories from Duckburg.

It's not new episodes, but I'll take it. Here's a clip!

• Options

How extended are we talking about here? Main characters? Recurring characters? One-offs?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

How extended are we talking about here? Main characters? Recurring characters? One-offs?

Darkwing + Gosalyn + Negaduck or riot.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Any information on when the complete run is going to be available on Disney+? I had to stop watching when they moved the show to XD exclusively.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    any word on a Darkwing reboot?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Yes but not with this Darkwing

• Options

In offcial trailers no less

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

whaaaaat!?

god I love and almost immediately hate disney

Xaquin on
  • Options

whaaaaat!?

Seth Rogen apparently wants to do a Darkwing Reboot

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

whaaaaat!?

What a fantastic way to kill my interest Darkwing Duck.

• Options

whaaaaat!?

What a fantastic way to kill my interest Darkwing Duck.

Im sure Ive said it before in this thread but its really shitty to the DT2017 staff who did all the work to make Darkwing relevant to kids

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

whaaaaat!?

This feels like Kevin Smith wanting to do a He-Man reboot to cash in on the success of the She-Ra reboot, but have it take place in a completely different universe and continuity as She-Ra.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »

whaaaaat!?

This feels like Kevin Smith wanting to do a He-Man reboot to cash in on the success of the She-Ra reboot, but have it take place in a completely different universe and continuity as She-Ra.

MotU Revelations is the one Smith is heading up. It’s a direct continuation of the original MotU series, not a reboot. This one sounds like it should be pretty awesome tbh. The cast and music they’ve revealed so far is outstanding.

Netflix is ALSO doing an unrelated He Man reboot completely separate from that.

Easy to get confused tbh.

• Options

whaaaaat!?

I dont think he really wanted to do it ( Rogen from what Ive read approached Disney with his pitch) hes a bit to old to have been into he-man. I think they offered him a shitload of cash and his name implies a certian tone for the show

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

whaaaaat!?

I dont think he really wanted to do it ( Rogen from what Ive read approached Disney with his pitch) hes a bit to old to have been into he-man. I think they offered him a shitload of cash and his name implies a certian tone for the show

A person is never to old to be into muscular men wearing loin cloths and swinging swords.

• Options
    He-Man '02 was so good that it made me retroactively interested in the original. A good reboot can do that.

Incidentally, He-Man '02 is also the only series in that franchise that isn't currently available on a streaming service, which sucks.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    He-Man '02 was so good that it made me retroactively interested in the original. A good reboot can do that.

Incidentally, He-Man '02 is also the only series in that franchise that isn't currently available on a streaming service, which sucks.

Did you actually go back and watch the 80's He-Man, because like most 80's cartoons it was a poorly animated toy commercial.

• Options

Did you actually go back and watch the 80's He-Man, because like most 80's cartoons it was a poorly animated toy commercial.

Yeah, I did. He-Man '83 may be dated in many ways, but it was fascinating to experience it after the reboot, seeing where the writers of the reboot got inspiration for a lot of their ideas from. The episodic nature of the original series meant characters could express their personalities but usually not act on them in any meaningful way. In the reboot, the writers could expand on those personalities to allow for actual character arcs and growth.

I even started doing some research into the history of the toyline and how that influenced the reboot. For example, there was one villain, Stinkor, who was represented in the original toyline but never made it into the show because his concept was just too absurd, even for that series. The writers of the reboot took this as a personal challenge and wrote an episode about the character called "The Sweet Smell of Victory". That's the kind of deep cut that can really get a guy like me to take notice of a show.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    80s cartoons are definitely not amazing storytelling, but the writers of the time still tried to slip some actual... writing through the commercials. There's a reason that some lasted in the shared consciousness while others didn't.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    That's why I refuse to watch any of the old '87 TMNT cartoon. I just know if I do, it's going to fuck with that memory, and I don't want to fuck with that memory.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That's why I refuse to watch any of the old '87 TMNT cartoon. I just know if I do, it's going to fuck with that memory, and I don't want to fuck with that memory.

The pilot episode is still pretty fun. Just stop there.

• Options
    The last time I watched the Real Ghostbusters was in my 20s, and it still seemed to hold up pretty well.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

I remember it was pretty bad at the time, even though I watched it every day.

I think X-men was the first action cartoon that I could sense actual writing in, and then Batman: TAS knocked it out of the park.