Hello! You may remember me from such failed adventures as moving to Montreal! But while that didn't work out (yet), I've been drooling over the idea of going to the Quebec City winter carnival for years, and 2018 is the year I at least accomplish that!
What is known:
- This is a very long fete. I will certainly not be there the whole time, and will probably do a Thursday-to-Tuesday trip to get the most out of it.
- It will be cold unless climate change has gone way too damned far. I will plan for layers.
- I speak very little French. I hope to pick up a bit more before I get there, but I'm going to be relying heavily on local bilingualism.
- I have Canadian/US Dual Citizenship This is not super helpful because it's basically a giant piece of paper I can't safely carry around!
- I need to renew my US passport. I don't have a Canadian passport yet so I'll mostly just be going as a USian. Also so people are less angry about my lack of French.
- I'm not going to want to spend a ton on lodging, but I'm not comfortable with crowd sourcing options. I need to find a cheap hotel or maybe a well-kept non-youth hostel (I am oldish).
- I have never been to Quebec. Or really any part of Canada other than Vancouver.
- I will be limited to public transport. I hate driving in the best of times and there are just too many variables for me to rent a car here.
- I am not super timid as long as I am not required to socialize or eat organ meat or get surrounded by worrisome substances. I'm pretty comfortable with ending up in strange places otherwise.
So, with all that said, does anyone have any tips?
Places with just too many bedbugs?
Areas with amazing bus transport to the fete?
Good not-fast-food places to eat that won't make my wallet deflate?
A best week to visit?
A worst week to visit?
Scenarios in which my being an out-of-country tourist will cause me problems?
Wonderful events that happen during the fete but which are not on the itinerary?
Events which are a huuuuuuge waste of time?
Great places to people watch?
Great places to be a gentleman wallflower?
Insanely cliche Parisian-style cafes with little tables on cobbled streets but also with poutine?
Complications to doing laundry while there so I can get away with packing super super light?
Thanks in advance!