As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Okay but how much do they cost.

All that has been said is, “a large amount of credits”.

Honestly I'm kinda expecting in or around a billion. But only because it will prevent me from being disappointed. . . God I hope so. Jesus, can you imagine?

Also I expect certain groups of players will use their carriers to form a interstate of sorts between the Bubble and Colonia since ships can rearm, repair and refuel at a carrier.

Considering it costs about a billion to buy and gear out the top end ships currently, I'm thinking fleet carriers are gonna cost closer to 10 billion.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Honestly I'm kinda expecting in or around a billion. But only because it will prevent me from being disappointed. . . God I hope so. Jesus, can you imagine?

Also I expect certain groups of players will use their carriers to form a interstate of sorts between the Bubble and Colonia since ships can rearm, repair and refuel at a carrier.

Considering it costs about a billion to buy and gear out the top end ships currently, I'm thinking fleet carriers are gonna cost closer to 10 billion.

Waiting for the “Surprise! Witchspace drives run on low temperature diamonds!” announcement.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Waiting for the “Surprise! Witchspace drives run on low temperature diamonds!” announcement.

Void opals.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think they’ll want to price it at a level where some people can buy it. The amount of ten billion having players is low.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Void opals.

Nah, nah, nah. It will require you to get six different rare elements and then complete six steps to create the fuel. However each step of the process will require you to fly out to meet six different people at opposite ends of the galaxy. But not before you've attained the appropriate rank with each person.

And you will not be able to carry a surplus of fuel and must complete the above process every time you need refueling.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    If the carrier costs mirror ship costs, I wouldn't be surprised if the baseline carrier is 1 billion or even a few hundred million, while the carrier upgrades ballon the total price into the multi-billion credit range.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That's a good way of doing it.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Something like that should be expensive. Very expensive. But also Tube is right; Frontier will want people to be able to get them. Frontier also seems to consistently misjudge player's willingness to metagame. I just don't know what to think.

For myself, seems like a way to move all my ships at once. I'm not sure that's really something I need to do very often.

I'll still want to buy one, of course. Because it's shiny.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Void opals.

Nah, nah, nah. It will require you to get six different rare elements and then complete six steps to create the fuel. However each step of the process will require you to fly out to meet six different people at opposite ends of the galaxy. But not before you've attained the appropriate rank with each person.

And you will not be able to carry a surplus of fuel and must complete the above process every time you need refueling.

And carrying the fuel to your carrier will immediately flag you for interdiction by every single pirate in the system as soon as you spawn into an instance.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    It's going to depend on the details of how you get the specialized fuel, but I'm liking pretty much everything about this new ship.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    It'd be nice to have an option where squadrons can amass funds to buy so it's not just one person paying.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TefTef Registered User regular
      Any of you guys know of a good LP series for this game?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    • Options
      daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      It'd be nice to have an option where squadrons can amass funds to buy so it's not just one person paying.

You mean group ownership of the carrier or just a quick and easy way to transfer credits between players in a wing? Because the group ownership of something this valuable is a can of worms.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    • Options
      DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
      I haven't played in a few years, but that video has me really hyped.

I have a kind of junky joystick at the moment. Thinking I'll upgrade to something with many more buttons and smoother handling. Does anyone have any suggestions for a mid-range hotas?

• Options
      OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
      Mid-range can be kind of relative. What's your junky joystick? I think Thrustmaster's T16000M HOTAS is considered a good value, with or without the throttle.

• Options
      ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
      Tef wrote: »
      Any of you guys know of a good LP series for this game?

And spoil the biggest plot twist in gaming!? The epic story? The Hutton Conspiracy?

Here's the only one you need.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dHqX5cFB0

• Options
      daveNYC wrote: »

You mean group ownership of the carrier or just a quick and easy way to transfer credits between players in a wing? Because the group ownership of something this valuable is a can of worms.

Fund transfer mostly.

• Options
        Orogogus wrote: »
        Mid-range can be kind of relative. What's your junky joystick? I think Thrustmaster's T16000M HOTAS is considered a good value, with or without the throttle.

Yeah around this price point I think. Like $200 CAD or less would be ideal, which I think the T16000 seems to be the best option.

• Options
        I am a bit curious about how much freedom of movement that we'll have with the fleet carriers since IIRC we can't pilot them directly.

Worst case for me will be that we can tell it to go to a specific system but we won't have freedom to control where it is within the system. Best case is that we can summon it to our location like we can summon our ship from our SRVs, so that we can either call for it to pick us up if there are no other carriers present in the instance or so that we can at least precisely position it near a point of interest.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
        I am a bit curious about how much freedom of movement that we'll have with the fleet carriers since IIRC we can't pilot them directly.

Worst case for me will be that we can tell it to go to a specific system but we won't have freedom to control where it is within the system. Best case is that we can summon it to our location like we can summon our ship from our SRVs, so that we can either call for it to pick us up if there are no other carriers present in the instance or so that we can at least precisely position it near a point of interest.

From what the trailer showed it looks like you can pilot the carrier just like any other ship. It even showed the Mercenary one blowing up enemy ships.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
      • Options

From what the trailer showed it looks like you can pilot the carrier just like any other ship. It even showed the Mercenary one blowing up enemy ships.

Can you link me to that bit, because the only ship that I recall getting blown up in the carrier teaser video was an eagle getting blown up by a courier.

3DS Friend Code:
      • Options
        I bought myself the Thrustmaster T16000M. wow I like it a lot. Such a huge upgrade over the junk I was using before.

Also finally played for the first time in a few years. Last I played the Thargoids weren't really in the game and the mining/exploration patch hadnt' gone in. I really like the new mining. It's peaceful, and fun, and very profitable! I found two asteroids that I could seismic charge and made about 2mil a piece on them. All without leaving the system I was in.

• Options
        Anyone new playing that wants to join our official unofficial PA squadron and private group? Want to make sure I'm caught up.

• Options
          SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
          I’d like to join, Cndr name is Syngyne.

5gsowHm.png
        • Options
          Added you as a friend and to private group. Can't add to squadron, looks like you have to apply: Ghost Raccoons

• Options
            DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
            Got me Horizons in this sale and started playing after a 2 year hiatus.

Looks like I own an AspX and I just fitted it for good ol' fashioned long-range explorin'. Already did a trip that netted me a few million. Looks like exploring finally pays off.

Also got started with the Engineer that fixes the drives, so that I'll get some extra oomph.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
          • Options
            There's also a road trip that you can do to unlock a guardian module to further upgrade your drives, however it's a flat boost so it's proportionally more of a boon to ships with bad jump drives than ones with good drives. But every lightyear counts.

3DS Friend Code:
          • Options
            Anyone new playing that wants to join our official unofficial PA squadron and private group? Want to make sure I'm caught up.

I'm CMDR Manos. I've never grouped so not sure how it works.

• Options

I'm CMDR Manos. I've never grouped so not sure how it works.

Gotcha! same for you. I can't add to squadrons so search for Ghost Raccoons

• Options
              I got someone's invite, I guess yours? Not sure how the whole process works. It said no one was online after accepting that friend request.

• Options
              Yeah that was me (Archpriest). I just hopped on to invite you and logged back off. I'll be back on this weekend for sure. Maybe sporadically during week.

• Options
                There's also a road trip that you can do to unlock a guardian module to further upgrade your drives, however it's a flat boost so it's proportionally more of a boon to ships with bad jump drives than ones with good drives. But every lightyear counts.

Started that and I'm only missing some crystals. Thanks for the tip.

Just finished a 2Kly trip that netted me some 20 million and some first discoveries. Hope to repeat that once I've gotten the FSD upgrade.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
              • Options
                And now I'm jumping for 48ly on that AspX.

Those are some awesome mods. Still not maxed out, but it's over twice what I started with this weekend. Spent a good amount on getting there, so I better go back to earning some more exploration credits.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
              • Options
                How do you start that guardian module thing?

Also I found a system buying Void Opals for 1.6 Mil, and it's right beside a planet ring full of the things. Bought my first Anaconda!

• Options
                dylmandylman Registered User regular

Also I found a system buying Void Opals for 1.6 Mil, and it's right beside a planet ring full of the things. Bought my first Anaconda!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9C9a00-rkQ

Have a detailed surface scanner installed, and put a point defence turret on a utility slot on the top of your ship. You'll be doing some combat in your SRV, and your ship can help out if it's point defence is close enough. A medium ship might be better for this, as it'll be able to land a bit nearer the ruins than your shiny new Anaconda. :)

• Options
                Ran down there in my Aspex and got the blueprint. Think I'm missing some of the guardian power sources and guardian tech that I ultimately need though. That was a really cool thing to do, although I need to get better at SRV piloting.

• Options
                dylmandylman Registered User regular
                There's a few other cool things to unlock at the guardian sites, not everything is as vital as the FSD booster though. The Gauss Cannon is pretty much compulsory if you want to fight the big Thargoids, the other weapons are situational/meh.

• Options
                Man when this game gets its hooks in you, it gets them really deep. It's all I can think about while at work. Tonight I'm going to head back to the bubble and my shipyard though, and then think about what I want to do with my Anaconda. I'm not sure if I want it as a combat vessel considering how big it is, but mining also sounds challenging with a boat that size. So explorer? I've heard it's jump range is huge. But I've only just begun spending time in my Aspex. I need to build a good bounty hunter or combat zone fighter.

I think I'll kit out an FDL. I also want to grind up some ranks with the factions, and need to rep up my engineers too (And find all of them).

• Options
                CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
                Anaconda can also make a pretty good passenger liner.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
              • Options
                BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

I miss pirating around these hot spot systems. But...must resist.