Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So many..

Don't fly without rebuy. Or do, but know the risks.

Think of it as I just bought a spaceship, not as I just bought a game.
    What I mean is, think of it as a simulated machine.
    Read the user manual. There's a lot of fancy holograms in front of you, and all of them mean something. Sometimes, several things.

Don't be shy about using the quick training scenarios to test out controls and keybindings.
    I suggest taking a sidewinder and supercruising right into the sun. I'm serious. Learn what it looks like, and what to do. It's actually pretty hard to die that way.

White dwarfs are way more dangerous than the average star. Stay well clear.

Don't be in a rush to grind for money. That's a good way to miss out on the actual game.

Edit:
    Oh, top of the page!
    Ok, here's some extras.

One of your most important ship functions are your PIPS. If you are turning, you want four pips in engines. If you are shooting, you want four pips in weapons. If you are being shot, you want four pips in systems. My pip buttons are right under my fingertips at all times.

The default binding for primary fire is also UI select. I suggest splitting these up. I have UI select and target ahead on my stick's button 3, instead. This allows me to sustain fire while still being able to use the ship's menus.

Zerocz on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    The jets coming out of neutron stars may look like fun. They are not.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    The jets coming out of neutron stars may look like fun. They are not.

Apparently, if you do it right, it'll let you ride into the night sky.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    The Neutron Star Superhighway can take you far.

There's an accessible disk of em in the bottom of the galactic plane. Folks will dive until they hit it and buzz jets to supercharge their friendship drives.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    siiiiiiigh

3hzfd38wbmbe.jpg

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    That's gonna be a helluva payday when you turn in your survey logs (provided you stop and scan every planet along the way).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I am not surveying every system due to encroaching space madness, but I have done full survey + mapping on quite a few on the way, so hopefully it’ll bump me to Elite when I finally turn it all in at the Anchorage.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Just honk while your FSD spins up. It adds up.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Just honk while your FSD spins up. It adds up.

Yeah, I always honk as part of the arrive->fuel scoop->aim for next waypoint routine. If I don't stop to scan, I'm usually in the next system in under a minute.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    So, I've been tooling around for the better part of two weeks in a kitted out, pre-engineered Imperial Cutter. But, I've also been wanting to be able to run more missions for the Federation in order to get the rep grind going. To open more possibilities to myself, I've picked up a Krait Mk2 and gotten most everything to Class-A (shield generator is a bi-weave, power plant is still Class-C). I've gotta say that after spending as much time as I have in the Cutter, the Krait almost feels uncontrollably maneuverable. I'd forgotten what it's like being somewhat nimble!

• Options
    kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So, I've been tooling around for the better part of two weeks in a kitted out, pre-engineered Imperial Cutter. But, I've also been wanting to be able to run more missions for the Federation in order to get the rep grind going. To open more possibilities to myself, I've picked up a Krait Mk2 and gotten most everything to Class-A (shield generator is a bi-weave, power plant is still Class-C). I've gotta say that after spending as much time as I have in the Cutter, the Krait almost feels uncontrollably maneuverable. I'd forgotten what it's like being somewhat nimble!

I am in a similar boat, so to speak. I spend 98% of my time playing in a cutter, second place is a fully engineered (for speed/turn rate) courier. It almost feels like another game entirely.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • Options
    I haven't messed around with Elite in awhile, but I spend most of my time in my Corvette. The only thing that I don't care about it is the jump range, but an engineered FSD combined with the aylmao FSD booster boosts things to manageable ranges.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    If anyone needs a carrier for anything, feel free to @me on here or the discord server. I'm not teaching summer courses this semester so I'm around quite a bit!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      TimFiji wrote: »
      If anyone needs a carrier for anything, feel free to @me on here or the discord server. I'm not teaching summer courses this semester so I'm around quite a bit!

please pick me up i don't want to fly home again

5gsowHm.png
    • Options

How far out are you?

• Options
        edited July 2020
        Can you even plot multi-jump routes with carriers? I never messed around with them in the beta, but I thought that you needed to plug the jumps in individually and wait half an hour between 500 LY jumps or something?

I don't know what kind of jump range Syngyne has, and I haven't looked up where that destination was in the screenshot, but I'd estimate that the answer is "tens of thousands of LY in the middle of nowhere"

The downtime between carrier jumps lets any personal ship with a good jump drive outpace carriers by quite a lot over long distances.

General_Armchair on
        3DS Friend Code:
      • Options

How far out are you?

90 jumps from the core

5gsowHm.png
      • Options
        Can you even plot multi-jump routes with carriers? I never messed around with them in the beta, but I thought that you needed to plug the jumps in individually and wait half an hour between 500 LY jumps or something?

I don't know what kind of jump range Syngyne has, and I haven't looked up where that destination was in the screenshot, but I'd estimate that the answer is "tens of thousands of LY in the middle of nowhere"

The downtime between carrier jumps lets any personal ship with a good jump drive outpace carriers by quite a lot over long distances.

Nope, have to do each jump manually. Booo!

How far out are you?

90 jumps from the core

How many LY from the bubble? I might be able to help

• Options

How far out are you?

90 jumps out...
          Well that's not so ba-

How far out are you?

... from the core

!

3DS Friend Code:
        • Options

How far out are you?

90 jumps from the core

er.... 25,000, give or take.

I was just kidding, I just have a very long return trip ahead of me :)

5gsowHm.png
        • Options
          edited July 2020

How far out are you?

90 jumps from the core

er.... 25,000, give or take.

I was just kidding, I just have a very long return trip ahead of me :)

I'm sure TimFiji wants to do all that he can to help, but the carrier system doesn't strike me as being very suitable for easing long distance voyages. The carriers themselves can be valuable homes away from home, but getting them out into the black is an effort in itself.

According to the details on the wiki, it takes 15 minutes for a carrier to prepare to jump and then there is a 5 minute cooldown period before it may jump again. Maximum jump range is 500 ly. According to my napkin math, that's 50 jumps for a carrier to cross that 25k ly. With each one taking 20 minutes, that's 1000 minutes to cross that distance or a bit over 16 hours of constant jumping. This also isn't taking fuel into account. I'm not sure what kind of range TimFiji's carrier has, but I bet that it can't make 50 jumps without refueling (100 jumps since it would need to return home too). So somebody would either need to buy a big load of tritium to haul out to the carrier to refuel it, or someone would need to use a mining ship to refine some locally whenever its fuel tanks ran dry.

Regrettably I don't think that TimFiji is in a position to do much more than act as a welcoming committee that could pick you up on the last stretch of your trip to ferry you back into the bubble in style.

I wish that we could take our time loading up carriers with tons of fuel, plot a long distance course, and then log off for a week before returning to find ourselves at the destination. That just isn't how the system works though.

edit:
          A quick question, are you making use of neutron stars to boost your jump range, or are you playing it safe to protect your data? Neutron stars can save a lot of time but they are an extra hazard that needs to be respected. It's also extra wear and tear on the ship that needs to be accounted for.

General_Armchair on
          3DS Friend Code:
        • Options
          Definitely not messing with neutron stars while I’m hauling data. My AspX also isn’t the most optimal setup, it’s still in its multipurpose config. It gets 40Ly. Not bad, but not the best for long range trips.

5gsowHm.png
        • Options
          Well 500LY per jump prob uses 150 tritium at my current weight. I keep about 12-15k in the storage as well. Who knows! That's a long ways

• Options
            Finally.
            lpaaX80.jpg

Slimcea Girl is looking a little worse for wear, but she handled the trip like a champ. I haven't actually gone to SagA* yet, I just wanted to dock and unload all this data before something terrible happened. The net payout was around 180 million, enough to put me 57% into Pioneer. I'm not sure how much scanning I'll have to do to make the last 43% to Elite, but I don't think that's a question I'll be answering for a bit. Please forward all my mail here, I live here now.

5gsowHm.png
          • Options
            edited July 2020
            So, I'm just about to start my pre-Colonia jaunt to head in the exact opposite direction to Synuefe to pick up some Guardian tech (to hopefully turn into a FSD booster), but figured I'd run this one little cargo mission to nab some exquisite focus crystals. I mean, 90 units of survival equipment? Sure, I can take a detour to run that. Take the mission, get an alert:

"Incoming Enemy Alert! (1/4)"

Well, I've been wanting to test out my Cutter now that I have some engineered bits. And 4 Anacondas coming at me in waves should be a good test. Sure enough, the first one went down before it even managed to break the second shield circle. The second Anaconda didn't fare much better. I should mention, this is a medium security system I'm in, so the space fuzz show up. On the third Ana, though, something weird happened: after the Anaconda blew, I was still getting "Ship under attack" warnings. I see there's hostiles on my radar, and lock the shooting ship...and see it's System Authority Vessel. Now, I'm worried that I might've accidentally ran one of them over while maneuvering, but nope...I don't have a single fine or warning strike against me or my SLF. But the space cops keep shooting at me. Okay, whatever, nothing but another Cutter can mass lock me, so I just low-wake outta there.

The fourth Anaconda had full space cop support and I was basically tanking both the Anaconda's fire and the 4 small System authority ships that joined in. As soon as the Anaconda blew up, I scooped a new material that I hadn't picked up yet, and low-waked to my cargo delivery destination.

That'll do (for now), Zote...that'll do.

(my ship's name is HMS Zote the Mighty...currently, being a little more effective in combat than its namesake)

Erlkönig on
          • Options
            LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
            Seems that the E:D discussion has moved over to the Space Sim thread, but I figured I'd post this in case anyone missed it. Obsidian Ant posted a video on the dev update on planetary/space legs thing, worth a look for the beautiful views if nothing else. Question remains how many game play improvements next year will bring, but I guess it will look nice...
            https://youtube.com/watch?v=FPIxYV7Ar-c

• Options
            Here are some somewhat interesting scans from PC Gamer showing on-foot gameplay... of sorts: https://imgur.com/a/IKySWFb
            Also, Obsidian Ant talks about it here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=3g_legcci-A
            Looks intriguing, I'm not playing at the moment but I am cautiously optimistic about Odyssey. Not super interested in on-foot combat, not sure how that will be balanced against ships, feels like even the smallest ship-weapon could totally flatten someone on foot, but just being able to walk around and scan life-forms on un-discovered worlds is something that appeals to me.

• Options
            Maybe I finally should try the game again and see if I can grind out what I need to buy myself my own private fleet carrier.

3DS Friend Code:
          • Options
            LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
            I got back into this about 2 weeks ago, in anticipation of the Odyssey update.

I've owned the game for about 3 years, but I was just a casual dabbler, and the best ship I ever bought previously was the Cobra Mk 3. Now, on this new venture, I set some goals for myself and I've been having fun.

Note: my goal is not to become a multi-billionaire and have all the space money in the world. My goal(s) are to complete various gameplay loops to satisfaction.

The very first thing I did was saved up 1.3mil for a Dolphin. Then I was a luxury space taxi driver for a while, flying rich people and persons of interest around the galaxy. I did that for a while and had fun with it. When I got tried of that, then I decided it was time to try mining for a while. I know mining is the most lucrative profession, and I'll do it for a while. But again. My goal isn't necessarily to get filthy rich. My goal is to see various gameplay experiences. I've never done mining before, so I want to do that and see what it's like. The money will be a nice perk, but I'm doing it because I never have.

After I finish being a miner, my next goal will be combat. I'll use the money I earn from mining to buy a combat ship, trick it out, and take it out to murder some space pirates for a while. I've already decided I want to do this in a Chieftain. Not because it's the best combat ship in the game, but because I think it looks cool and that will be fun for me, even if I know it's not "the best."

Then, long term, my next goals will be to do some long distance exploration, do some faction/rep grinding with the a couple of the major factions so I can unlock the Corvette and the Cutter.

Then, and only then, after I've done all that, will I set my sights on earning a fleet carrier.

Mostly, I just want to experience the game and build up a personal hangar of ships so that I'll feel "ready" for when the Odyssey update comes out and I can have adventures on foot. And that's what I'm really most looking forward to is being a human and doing pilot activities.

• Options
            edited November 2020
            Engineering is the task that turned me off of the game last time. I had wanted to outfit some ship as a good deep core miner, but couldn't be bothered to track down the necessary materials to use in exchange for engineering all of the subsystems.

I'll need to look at it again in a few weeks. I always enjoyed deep core mining more, and had my Corvette outfitted as a mining ship, but it was a bit too slow to quickly find the special asteroids. I own a cutter which is faster, but I really didn't want to maneuver for planting the mines with the cutter.

I think that the Krait should be the best ship for the job, but I'm rulling it out since the sound of its engines grates on my nerves. The Clipper was the next ship that I was considering before I stopped.

Although maybe I should just outfit my Corvette or Cutter as a laser miner. IIRC laser mining is more lucrative at that size.

Maybe, once I own a carrier, I might consider buying a smaller core miner that is better suited for tracking down the rocks and then using the carrier to transport the cargo to the point of sale. I'm not sure right now if I can just dump the diamonds into the carrier or if I'll need to haul several small mining ships around in said carrier.

General_Armchair on
            3DS Friend Code:
          • Options
            Lucascraft wrote: »
            I got back into this about 2 weeks ago, in anticipation of the Odyssey update.

I've owned the game for about 3 years, but I was just a casual dabbler, and the best ship I ever bought previously was the Cobra Mk 3. Now, on this new venture, I set some goals for myself and I've been having fun.

Note: my goal is not to become a multi-billionaire and have all the space money in the world. My goal(s) are to complete various gameplay loops to satisfaction.

The very first thing I did was saved up 1.3mil for a Dolphin. Then I was a luxury space taxi driver for a while, flying rich people and persons of interest around the galaxy. I did that for a while and had fun with it. When I got tried of that, then I decided it was time to try mining for a while. I know mining is the most lucrative profession, and I'll do it for a while. But again. My goal isn't necessarily to get filthy rich. My goal is to see various gameplay experiences. I've never done mining before, so I want to do that and see what it's like. The money will be a nice perk, but I'm doing it because I never have.

After I finish being a miner, my next goal will be combat. I'll use the money I earn from mining to buy a combat ship, trick it out, and take it out to murder some space pirates for a while. I've already decided I want to do this in a Chieftain. Not because it's the best combat ship in the game, but because I think it looks cool and that will be fun for me, even if I know it's not "the best."

Then, long term, my next goals will be to do some long distance exploration, do some faction/rep grinding with the a couple of the major factions so I can unlock the Corvette and the Cutter.

Then, and only then, after I've done all that, will I set my sights on earning a fleet carrier.

Mostly, I just want to experience the game and build up a personal hangar of ships so that I'll feel "ready" for when the Odyssey update comes out and I can have adventures on foot. And that's what I'm really most looking forward to is being a human and doing pilot activities.

Be sure to join the discord server. Not crazy active, but I and a couple others are on elite every now and then. I hop on once in awhile to bounty hunt or hunt Thargoids. My fleet carrier "The Undergound" is in Asterope, but there's a channel in the discord and updates when I jump and to where. CMDR is Archpriest

• Options
              Unfortunately Odyssey’s a no-go for me until(unless?) they add full VR support.

5gsowHm.png
            • Options
              BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
              Engineering is the task that turned me off of the game last time. I had wanted to outfit some ship as a good deep core miner, but couldn't be bothered to track down the necessary materials to use in exchange for engineering all of the subsystems.

I'll need to look at it again in a few weeks. I always enjoyed deep core mining more, and had my Corvette outfitted as a mining ship, but it was a bit too slow to quickly find the special asteroids. I own a cutter which is faster, but I really didn't want to maneuver for planting the mines with the cutter.

I think that the Krait should be the best ship for the job, but I'm rulling it out since the sound of its engines grates on my nerves. The Clipper was the next ship that I was considering before I stopped.

Although maybe I should just outfit my Corvette or Cutter as a laser miner. IIRC laser mining is more lucrative at that size.

Maybe, once I own a carrier, I might consider buying a smaller core miner that is better suited for tracking down the rocks and then using the carrier to transport the cargo to the point of sale. I'm not sure right now if I can just dump the diamonds into the carrier or if I'll need to haul several small mining ships around in said carrier.

Engineering is still there, and essentially critical unless you only PvE (and then probably in solo). No plain ship is going to last more than seconds against an engineered foe. You will at least want shields and likely some boosters/hull.

And yes, it sucks, isn't fun, and is a huge barrier to newer players.

• Options
              I mostly just pve. More corvette is heavily engineered, but mostly in legacy engineering mods. I've got the cooling and heat management system refined to the point where it can fire twin huge beam lasers indefinitely. I'm contemplating swapping out for less efficiency for more burst damage, but didn't want to juggle equipment at assorted starports. A private fleet carrier would solve that.

IIRC, except perhaps in a few edge cases, the revised engineering mods surpass the legacy mods. Also my engineering materials supply is kind of shot since I've done little to expand it since they increased our capacity a while back.

I basically have barely touched engineers since the rework.

3DS Friend Code:
            • Options
              I mostly just pve. More corvette is heavily engineered, but mostly in legacy engineering mods. I've got the cooling and heat management system refined to the point where it can fire twin huge beam lasers indefinitely. I'm contemplating swapping out for less efficiency for more burst damage, but didn't want to juggle equipment at assorted starports. A private fleet carrier would solve that.

IIRC, except perhaps in a few edge cases, the revised engineering mods surpass the legacy mods. Also my engineering materials supply is kind of shot since I've done little to expand it since they increased our capacity a while back.

I basically have barely touched engineers since the rework.

Yea a couple of fringe cases. Like the class 5 shield you can squeeze onto a Cutter, some rail gun rolls IIRC.

• Options
              Some new info and screenshots by way of Obsidian Ant again: https://youtube.com/watch?v=yUPWNqj7sY8
              Funny how much difference seeing a blue sky above does... also, is that a... double-barred scifi-shotgun? Somewhat odd.

• Options
              LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
              I know this is a fool's hope, but at the same time that they release Odyssey and all the on-foot content, I'd like to see them take a pass at the land rover content and maybe add more combat and ground vehicle gameplay into the game. It's neat for about 15 minutes to be able to drive around on a planet's surface, but that well of content seems to dry up super fast. There just doesn't seem to be much depth to land vehicles. It feels very much like a novelty.

You do it once or twice, say "Oh, that's neat" and then you never do it again.

• Options
              Elite will be free on Epic Games launcher coming up soon (Nov 19th), just FYI.

And they recently folded Horizon content into the base game IIRC.

• Options
              BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
              Bigity wrote: »
              Elite will be free on Epic Games launcher coming up soon (Nov 19th), just FYI.

And they recently folded Horizon content into the base game IIRC.

Indeed, I just grabbed it and it is downloading. Any newbie advice/links? I read the OP but didn't see any specific newbie advice.

96058.png?1619393207
            • Options
              CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
              Enjoy the ride.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.